• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking With Kids: How Do You Make it a Successful Class?

In summary, a successful kid's cooking class has specified the age range of 6+ for participants, with a maximum of 15 kids at a time. The cost is $30 per month per kid for four classes, with products given to the kids such as mini spatulas, small spreaders, prep bowls, and small batter bowls. The cost of the ingredients for the recipes is divided by the number of kids, resulting in a cost of around $1-2 per kid. The classes have resulted in new customers and orders, and pre-payment is required to allow for product ordering and shipping.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
For those who have done this successfully -

1. What ages have you specified for the kids?

2. How many kids have you had at one time?

3. How much have you charged for the class? What kind of products have you given to the kids?

SearchIf you go to the top section tited Search a box will drop down and if you type in Kid Cooking Class. There will be several past threads that will pop up that will probably answer all your questions.

Like this one:
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f6/kids-cooking-class-38446/

Debbie :D

DebbieSAChef said:
If you go to the top section tited Search a box will drop down and if you type in Kid Cooking Class. There will be several past threads that will pop up that will probably answer all your questions.Like this one:
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f6/kids-cooking-class-38446/Debbie :D
Actually, they didn't. I looked through some of those threads - but there was too much to read, and I couldn't find these answers...and I am doing up my brochure right now, and trying to decide on some of these things....Want to send the brochure out tomorrow.I read several that talked about what they were going to do - but I would rather know what has really been done successfully.

OkOk well here is what is working for me. This is how my summer classes are set up. Right now in my June class I have 14 kids signed up.
1. What ages have you specified for the kids? 6+ I homeschool so the ages vary greatly. The youngest kid in my class is 6 the oldest is 14.

2. How many kids have you had at one time? I have 14 right now, my max is 15.

3. How much have you charged for the class? What kind of products have you given to the kids? $30 each month per kid for four classes (every Thursday for 90 min.) This month I gave the kids a mini spatula (outlet) and small spreader. July they will get two prep bowls each only. August they will get the small batter bowl because we are going to make doll cakes and soccer cakes (from cake mixes).
Just to give you an idea the last recipe we did was called Pepperoni n cheese crescents. The total for all the food divided by 14 kids was $1.75 per kid in cost to make two of the crescents each. They loved them. Last recipe was Ice cream tacos cost per kid was about $1.00 or so. I can't remember the price of the M&M's off the top of my head but my hubby has it on a receipt.
Hope this helps!
Debbie

Last edited:
Have you ever had a parent book a show because of the cooking classes?

I do kids shows for Girl Scouts. They only furnish the food. The kids don't get anything free, but they get to earn badges.

pampchefsarah said:
Have you ever had a parent book a show because of the cooking classes?

HEY! That was my next question!:D :p

Yes!!
ChefBeckyD said:
HEY! That was my next question!:D :p

Oh yes of course! A few and loyal PC customers. I am their PC lady. So of course I got orders at Christmas time, from their mothers, from their friends, etc...

I think it's a great way to get new customers because not all the kids in my class are people I knew personally before the class. I left flyers at a kid's resale shop and I got a call from several mothers wanting to sign up in July and August. So it's a great way to get your name out there. The kids love the class, they love me and my kiddos, and they love the cool tools! Boys eyes light up when they use the food chopper and the EAD! :love:

One More Kids Cooking Question.....Okay, maybe actually 2!:blushing:

First - for the product that is given to the kids - do you order this stuff as a large individual order, or do you make a show out of it?

And - Do you have them prepay, or do you have them pay at the workshop?

Pre-pay
ChefBeckyD said:
Okay, maybe actually 2!:blushing:

First - for the product that is given to the kids - do you order this stuff as a large individual order, or do you make a show out of it?

And - Do you have them prepay, or do you have them pay at the workshop?

I have them pre-pay by a certain deadline to allow at least 10 days for the items to ship. Although I had some last minute tag alongs (cousins, friends, etc..) who joined the day of my first class since I was not officially full yet and that was ok. I always order a few extra just in case.

I make a show out of it. I usually have customer orders I can tag on and since the moms know me as the PC lady I can encourage them to give me some orders before the deadline. When they do they are entered in the Mystery Host raffle. The winner gets the benefits! It's my second time doing this and I usually submit at least a $300-$400 show. $40-$60 in FREE products is a good motivator for collecting orders! Especially to frugal homeschooling moms!

And it's a cooking show because I usually bring a PC dish to a mom's get together or a park day to advertise about my kid's class, the Mystery Host raffle and I show catalogs.

What are some easy recipes for kids to make?

Some easy recipes for kids to make include mini pizzas, fruit kabobs, quesadillas, and homemade granola bars. These recipes are simple and allow for kids to get hands-on in the kitchen.

How can I involve my child in meal preparation?

There are many ways to involve your child in meal preparation, such as having them wash fruits and vegetables, mix ingredients, and assemble dishes. You can also have them help with setting the table and cleaning up after the meal.

What safety precautions should I take when cooking with kids?

When cooking with kids, it's important to teach them about kitchen safety and supervise them closely. Make sure they wash their hands before handling food, use oven mitts when handling hot dishes, and stay away from sharp utensils and appliances.

How can I make cooking with kids educational?

Cooking with kids can be a great opportunity to teach them important skills, such as measuring ingredients, following recipes, and understanding nutrition. You can also incorporate math and science concepts into cooking, such as counting and measuring ingredients, and observing changes in food during the cooking process.

What are some tips for getting picky eaters to try new foods?

One tip for getting picky eaters to try new foods is to involve them in the cooking process. When kids help prepare a dish, they may be more open to trying it. You can also offer small portions and encourage them to take at least one bite. It's important to be patient and not force them to eat something they don't like.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• noelskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies