• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Chicken Tips: What Works & What Doesn't

In summary, one of the local grocery stores has Perdue fryers for .78 cents a pound, which would make it easy to make these in February. Lisa said that you could not get that kind of color in a microwave since they don't brown things. Harriet said that the two stones that are a must have are the large bar pan and the deep covered baker. McCormick has a Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning blend that is really good, and gives it that nice brown color - I usually shake some on with the Rosemary Herb seasoning.....yummy! Jennifer said that she does 2 shows a week (that's what's on her schedule for Feb right now) so she'll keep rotating chickens (does that make sense?)
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
Just wanted to pass along a few tips from another board.

*I used the oil and sprinkled with southwest seasoning only. as you know, you do not cover it. but, when the chicken was done, I had seasoning all over my microwave. now, it was dry, so it was easy to clean.

*I made this chicken tonight for my family and I left the lid on. I bet I had a cup or more in juice from the chicken. I didn't even put any seasoning on it. It was very juicy and delicious.

Anyone else have something to add? I'll be purchasing and cooking a chicken tomorrow and I'll post my results.

I've made this chicken in the DCB many times and I always use the lid and you get the best, moist chicken and the most flavorful stock ever.

One of our local grocery stores has Perdue fryers for .78 cents a pound, I'm going to get a few and stock up and try to make these in Feb.

Hope everyone enjoys them!!

Ideas for seasonings are endless!!

Lisa

Slice a lemon and a couple of garlic cloves...stuff the chicken with these. I jsut salt and peppered the top of the chicken and it was so yummy

I've got to get this deep covered baker!

Harriet you will love it! I think that the two stones that are a must have is the large bar pan and the deep covered baker. Between these two you should be able to just about everything in them. I love the dcb because you can cook a fast healthy meal in 30 min.

I've been drooling about this chicken ever since Susan told us about hers when she first got the CB. I will get one soon I hope! I use my microwave a lot and this would be perfect all year long!

I got an almost 6lb chicken with a pop-up timer, (I couldn't find a 4-5lb)...and it took right about 35 mins for it - it was great! Cover on, a lot of juice left in bottom...used that, plus boiled the carcus to make chicken soup out of it...mmm!

Oh, Jennifer can you e-mail me some?

It's yummy--thanks!

We made this for our cluster meeting last night and while it was very moist and yummy, it DID NOT look browned like the photo. Does anyone know how they got it like that? I would imagine that you could not get that kind of color in a microwave since they don't brown things. Do you think HO put an oven baked chicken in the photo?!? :confused:

I was told on another loop that the seasoning mixture gets it brown - mainly the paprika. So, if you use a PC seasoning, add paprika for color.

cmdtrgd said:
I was told on another loop that the seasoning mixture gets it brown - mainly the paprika. So, if you use a PC seasoning, add paprika for color.
McCormick has a Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning blend that is really good, and gives it that nice brown color - I usually shake some on with the Rosemary Herb seasoning.....yummy! I LOVE roast chicken!

so you cook the chicken with the lid on?

has anyone done this at a show for the demo??? I would really like for the month of Feb but was wondering if there was any obsticals with having this as the demo? How about carving it, I am really bad at that it is my husbands job so I would worry about doing that in front of people!!

Heather

Morvin said:
has anyone done this at a show for the demo??? I would really like for the month of Feb but was wondering if there was any obsticals with having this as the demo? How about carving it, I am really bad at that it is my husbands job so I would worry about doing that in front of people!!

Heather

I usually cut mine with my kitchen shears - but it's not the prettiest:eek: Plus, if you serve it as peices, it won't go as far at a show. I have been thinking for my shows to do the chicken ahead of time, and then also have one going when guests get there.....using the premade (and pre-shredded) chicken to do mini-panini sandwiches - that way, showing them how to use their leftover chicken too! I'll pass out the flyer about the 30 minute roast chicken. I do 2 shows a week (that's what's on my schedule for Feb right now) so I'll keep rotating chickens (does that make sense?) The one I roast at the show, I'll use for sandwiches at the next show......and if there are leftovers - well, I can always use leftover chicken!
What do you think of that??? I need to come up with a plan, because I am already promoting the Chicken show!:eek:

I think this is great!!! Now do you have to ask your host about the size of her microwave or anything ahead of time? I know some of the microwaves i have used at show probably won't hold the roaster. I just love this idea I am so excited!! I always have a lot of sceptics (sp?) at my shows so I will probably use the one I cooked there so they see it come from the micro. with their one eyes. And I could only wish to have 2 shows a week to be able to rotate my chickens!
Heather

ChefBeckyD said:
I usually cut mine with my kitchen shears - but it's not the prettiest:eek: Plus, if you serve it as peices, it won't go as far at a show. I have been thinking for my shows to do the chicken ahead of time, and then also have one going when guests get there.....using the premade (and pre-shredded) chicken to do mini-panini sandwiches - that way, showing them how to use their leftover chicken too! I'll pass out the flyer about the 30 minute roast chicken. I do 2 shows a week (that's what's on my schedule for Feb right now) so I'll keep rotating chickens (does that make sense?) The one I roast at the show, I'll use for sandwiches at the next show......and if there are leftovers - well, I can always use leftover chicken!
What do you think of that??? I need to come up with a plan, because I am already promoting the Chicken show!:eek:

I think that this is a good idea!! I made it for the first time the other night, and am not too good with carving! I got "most of it off" then just cooked it down and it falls off the bones for soup! :)

On the cn under the 30 min chicken show they have how to carve a chicken. This has helped me a lot. I'm planning on starting it and then letting the guest use the forged cutlrey knives and cut their own off. I'm also giong to have another recipe as well.

Check out all the info on CC about this show. They go through how to carve, different types of additions, etc. It says to cook it with the lid off. I would cook it with the lid on and check it. If it isn't browning, take the lid off.

Also, you need to have your hosts measure the INSIDE of their microwave to make sure the baker will fit!!!

Has anyone tried putting vegetables in with the chicken? Like potatos or carrots? I do not have this baker but I am going to get it with a show I am submitting in Feb.

when you put the chicken in for 30 min. how often to you stop it to check on it?? I really like this idea but i don't want to screw it up!!!

heather

rebeccastt said:
We made this for our cluster meeting last night and while it was very moist and yummy, it DID NOT look browned like the photo. Does anyone know how they got it like that? I would imagine that you could not get that kind of color in a microwave since they don't brown things. Do you think HO put an oven baked chicken in the photo?!? :confused:

molasses and brown sugar or honey. brush on last 15 min of cooking and adds a lovely brown tone to chicken and will not alter the taste

Morvin said:
when you put the chicken in for 30 min. how often to you stop it to check on it?? I really like this idea but i don't want to screw it up!!!

heather

When I do mine, I do 10 minutes....then check...etc....

I did mine for 30 mins, checked, another 5 mins then the timer was popped up and it was done!

Morvin said:

Heather

Now that Feb is here, has anyone done this yet? I made my first one last night (my micro is too small drove 4 hrs to my sister's to use her's :D Okay, I was coming here anyway!)

It was FABULOUS!!! Very tasty (used SW seasoning) and very moist. Didn't use the lid while cooking. I don't cook meat in the microwave cause I don't like the taste/color. Wow, this was so good! Didn't worry about the color since I was pulling the meat off anyway.

My question is....do they really think we can cook a chicken AND pull the meat off for another recipe and still keep our demo time down? Even if you had it cooking to come out as you started, the silly thing is VERY hot and hard to handle.

I like the "cook one/have one" idea ChefBecky talked about. That's the only way I can see this happening smoothly.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Now that Feb is here, has anyone done this yet? I made my first one last night (my micro is too small drove 4 hrs to my sister's to use her's :D Okay, I was coming here anyway!)

It was FABULOUS!!! Very tasty (used SW seasoning) and very moist. Didn't use the lid while cooking. I don't cook meat in the microwave cause I don't like the taste/color. Wow, this was so good! Didn't worry about the color since I was pulling the meat off anyway.

My question is....do they really think we can cook a chicken AND pull the meat off for another recipe and still keep our demo time down? Even if you had it cooking to come out as you started, the silly thing is VERY hot and hard to handle.

I like the "cook one/have one" idea ChefBecky talked about. That's the only way I can see this happening smoothly.

That's exactly why I came up with the cook one/have one idea! It takes quite awhile to cool down....but I thought I could put it in the oven when I started the demo for the recipe I'm doing, and then have them both done at the same time to show people how quick it was! I guess, even if you don't have another show that week, there are 1000's of ways to use roasted chicken!!!

jrstephens said:
Has anyone tried putting vegetables in with the chicken? Like potatos or carrots? I do not have this baker but I am going to get it with a show I am submitting in Feb.

I do it with carrots, potatoes, onions & celery - yumm!!

I was too "chicken" (no pun intended) to try it in the microwave. I baked it in the oven using the Juiciest Roast Chicken recipe in the SB o6. I had it in the oven when the guests arrived so it was smelling really good throughout the show. I demoed the Strawberry Spinach Salad. Then everyone ate the salad and chicken together. I don't normally do 2 recipes, but I wanted to try the chicken at a show. I have our carving set so that it what I took with me to carve the chicken. I planned on just winging it, but one of the guests took over. I was saved!

ChefBeckyD said:
That's exactly why I came up with the cook one/have one idea! It takes quite awhile to cool down....but I thought I could put it in the oven when I started the demo for the recipe I'm doing, and then have them both done at the same time to show people how quick it was! I guess, even if you don't have another show that week, there are 1000's of ways to use roasted chicken!!!

I bought a cookbook once that was "125* ways to use a rotisserie chicken"

*not at home so not sure how many ways you can use one! I'm in love with WalMart rotisserie chickens...now I just need to buy a bigger microwave and I can make them myself :)

I helped my new recruit with her first show today, and we did the 30-min chicken. Made that first and popped it in the micro. Then we made the Clubhouse Chicken Squares (pre-baked crust). When the chicken came out of the micro, we let it sit a few minutes to rest and "self-cook" a little (as per the directions), then cut up 1/4 of it for on the squares. The host's hubby had purchased the chicken, and had gotten dark quarters. So we just put 4 of them in the baker and they have "leftovers" for another meal. It also cooked a little faster - about 23 minutes.

That's great Ann! One of these days I am getting one. Too many priorities here lately!

ok everyone...I'm here to rave once again about the chicken demo
Did it at my show today...had the chicken ready in the roaster before the show...two ladies got there early so they witnessed the prep..I did exactly what the directions called for...I had the flour/seasoning mix in a prep bowl done up at home..the other extra I added to it was the garlic herb rub! Had the lid on when I first started the demo. I told them how host Kim had made up a nice decadent brownie dessert ahead of time, and How I had thrown some pillsbury ready to bake cookies on the rect. stone (these were baking while guests arrived!!! ) wanted to show something very basic for the stone special!!! I told them if this recipe of the chicken didnt work we at least could fall back on the dessert...I knew the chicken would work! opened up the lid and they saw the raw chicken prepped and ready to go into the micro..they had strange looks on their faces...I was ready for that! Popped it the micro and prepped up the veggies and all in the family skillet for fast family fajhitas..everything worked like clockwork...it gave me enough time to demo up other products and when chicken came out I put thermometer in it and it registers 182...let it sit for 10 minute with lid on ( I baked with lid on)
put it out onto large bamboo carving board...it cooled quickly so I could cut of pieces...threw them into skillet and warmed it all together with the already done veggie mixture...threw it in SA medium bowl...warmed tortillas in microcooker, had other toppings ready in SA bowls and ready to serve..they loved it, I had 8 guests, and two outside orders far and shes at 900.00. Two people ordered the baker (not at discount) many stones were ordered, and got 2 more bookings for Feb!!
I encourage everyone who can to do this for a demo!!

One thing that I forgot to mention about doing this demo at my recruit's show is that it's what actually drew her to PC! After Leadership, I sent out the 30-min chicken email that's available on PWS to my mailing list. She saw it, was intrigued by it, clicked to my site and saw the "join my team" info. So she replied to the email that "I want to get started." She wants to help people make meals like this quickly.
Cool!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
Replies
Views
CathyP
  • Kate0831
  • Recipes and Tips