• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Convection Oven Vs. Regular Oven

In summary, the Gemini convection oven is a great option for those who want to bake multiple items at once or roast vegetables quickly. However, the toasting feature is not as powerful as others and rotating the food may be necessary for even cooking.
annew
I'm wondering I'm looking @ buying a double oven stove with my PC $$ I'm wondering if anyone has a convection oven?? I'm trying to decide if I really need one or not.

Thanks
Anne Winchester

I have a convection "toaster" oven. It is one of the big ones that you can fit a small pizza or cook a rotissarie chicken in. I so far, have had no luck baking in it. Everything I bake (on my stones of course) don't get done on the bottom. If I make biscuits, I have to take them out about half way through and flip them over so the bottoms will get done. I really don't think it is the oven, and we all know it's not the stones, I think it is just me. It's got about 10 different settings on it and I just haven't figured out the right one yet. I have read over the instruction booklet, but that didn't tell me anything. I'm about 99.9% sure it is just me, but just wanted to share my experience. If anyone has one of these, I'm all ears. I can be pretty dense at times. :D

Still on the fenceHi Anne, I just bought a double convection oven about 3 weeks ago. It is a Maytag Gemini. I absolutely love the top, smaller oven - it pre-heats in what seems like 60 seconds, and cooks great. The larger, bottom oven is the convection and I have not decided if convection is all that it is claimed to be or not. When I use all three racks, the bottom food does not cook as fast as the top and middle, and I find I have to rotate the food to get even results...which I was told you wouldn't have to do with a convection :( . However, the benefit of being able to cook three trays of cookies, muffins, etc. all at once and have it all turn out good, still outweighs the inconvenience of having to rotate the food. Am I sorry I spent the extra money for this kind of stove? No, not at all. Just was expecting more from the convection feature.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Cheryl

thanksThanks so much for your thoughts I think I will just go w/the double oven stove that isn't the convection just to be on the safe side.

Anne :)

Maytag GeminiCheryl,

We too have the Gemini, have you used the toasting feature on the top oven yet? We no longer have a slotted toaster (ironic that it broke about the time I figured out the Gemini had the toasting feature), I toast everything in the top oven. The other thing I like to do is with left over sweet potatoes - microwave the potatoes and then add marshmallows to the top and use the top oven to broil the marshamallows. It's like having your own little personal dish of sweet potatoes. YUM!!

I haven't used the convection portion much - I too have not read the manual in depth to find out how much time I could be saving.

Leea

LOVE my convection!My main oven, a Bosch, is a convection. My microwave does convection as well. Let me tell you, I LOVE both! At Christmas time, I was able to do SEVEN DOZEN spice cookies at ONE TIME using only my big oven. (What can I say, I have a lot of stoneware...lol!) For me, the biggest benefit is the ability to quickly roast veggies and potatoes...being a mom of a just-turned 3 year old and a 9 month old, dinner time can get fairly hectic. I like that I can get my veggies roasted in half an hour or less...and don't even get me started on how yummy my turkey turns out! :D

Just my two cents...

Sandy

What is the difference between a convection oven and a regular oven?

A convection oven has a fan and exhaust system that circulates hot air throughout the oven, resulting in faster and more even cooking. A regular oven does not have this feature, so it relies on natural convection to cook food.

Do I need to adjust cooking times when using a convection oven?

Yes, cooking times may need to be adjusted when using a convection oven. Because the hot air is circulated, food may cook faster than in a regular oven. We recommend reducing cooking times by about 25% and checking for doneness early.

Can I use the same bakeware in a convection oven as I do in a regular oven?

Yes, you can use the same bakeware in both types of ovens. However, for best results in a convection oven, we recommend using light-colored, low-sided pans to allow for proper air circulation.

Can I still use the broil setting in a convection oven?

Yes, you can still use the broil setting in a convection oven. Just be sure to keep an eye on your food, as it may cook faster than in a regular oven.

Are there any foods that should not be cooked in a convection oven?

There are certain foods that may not benefit from cooking in a convection oven, such as delicate pastries or soufflés. It is best to consult your recipe or do some research before using a convection oven for the first time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nancycookspc
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • raebates
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • karenwisn