• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking With Convection: Oven Temp. Confusion

In summary, baking with a convection oven utilizes a fan to evenly and quickly cook food, while a regular oven uses radiant heat from top and bottom heating elements. To adjust the oven temperature for convection baking, lower it by about 25 degrees Fahrenheit compared to a traditional oven recipe. You may also need to adjust the cooking time, checking a few minutes before the suggested time and adding or removing time as needed. While convection baking is suitable for most types of food, delicate or rising dishes may not work as well. It is not necessary to use special pans for convection baking, but make sure there is enough space between pans for proper air circulation and adjust cooking time accordingly.
babywings76
Gold Member
I'm still getting used to my convection oven. Now, I have a cake mix that says 350 for shiny metal or glass pan, and 325 for dark or nonstick. I'm assuming that the stoneware should get the 325 temp., right? So then I need to bake it at 300 with my convection oven? That just sounds so low to me!

I use the glass pan temps for stoneware - it helps the stone get up to temp a little faster. So with the reduction for convection, that takes it to 325˚F.

Thanks! :)

It worked out well. Now here's another question...

I made the cake in the fluted stone. This is the 2nd time I've used it, so I'm a bit inexperienced with cakes this shape. The cake is higher in the middle areas. So should I level off the top so that when it's flipped over and put on the plate it'll lay flat? It's in position on the serving plate right now and the edges are sitting up off the plate about a 1/2 inch or so. It also didn't seem to be as tall as I thought it would. (My pumpkin cake I made last weekend looked a bit like a squashed pumpkin.)

If I understand what you are asking, the answer is the weight of the cake itself will make it sit flat once you put a platter over the top of the cake pan and flip it over and remove the pan. This leaves what was the top of the cake while it was in the oven as the bottom of the cake when plated. (If this is not what you meant, please excuse me.)​

1. What is the difference between baking with a regular oven and a convection oven?

Baking with a convection oven uses a fan to circulate hot air, resulting in more even and faster cooking. A regular oven relies on radiant heat from the top and bottom heating elements.

2. How do I adjust the oven temperature when using a convection oven?

In general, for convection baking, you should lower the temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit compared to a traditional oven recipe. This is because the fan and circulation of hot air can cause the food to cook faster.

3. Do I need to make any other adjustments when using a convection oven?

Yes, you may need to adjust the cooking time as well. Keep an eye on your food and check it a few minutes before the suggested cooking time. If it is done earlier, you can remove it from the oven. If it needs more time, you can add a few extra minutes until it is fully cooked.

4. Can I use convection mode for all types of baking?

While convection baking is great for most types of food, there are some dishes that may not work as well. Delicate baked goods or dishes that need to rise, like souffles, may not do well with the fan blowing on them. It's best to consult your recipe or do a test run to see how it turns out.

5. Do I need to use special pans for convection baking?

No, you can use the same pans you would use for regular baking. However, it's important to make sure there is enough space between the pans to allow for proper air circulation. You may also notice that your food cooks faster, so keep an eye on it and adjust the cooking time as needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SummerG
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pamperedharriet
  • pattybrady
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
alabama pc cons.
  • Jennie50