• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Upgrade Your Kitchen with a New Stove: Must-Haves and Wants Under $700"

In summary, the oven in my freestanding range needs a $250 part to fix. So, I'm looking at new stoves, vs fixing the old one. What stove do YOU own and what do you like, dislike about it? Does anyone have the new continuous grating cooktop with the 5th burner?
Dotty
Gold Member
The oven in my freestanding range needs a $250 part to fix. So, I'm looking at new stoves, vs fixing the old one. What stove do YOU own and what do you like, dislike about it? Does anyone have a convection style oven? Does anyone have the new continuous grating cooktop with the 5th burner?

My new stove musts:
1) 2 medium, 1 high, 1 low/simmer burner (my current one has 4 mediums!)
2) handles propane (can't stand electric burners and we don't have piped in natural gas out here in the boonies)

My new stove wants:
1) gratings that go in the dishwasher
2) self-clean
3) convection
4) separating oven racks like frigidaire has
5) continous grating cooktop with 5th or 6th burner

I'm looking to buy in the $700 range (thanks PC!).

I welcome any suggestions or thoughts!

If you can afford it (and can find one that works with propane), I'd suggest a duel fuel range. Gas/propane stove-top is loved by most chefs and the electric oven is often considered better for baking.

chefjeanine said:
If you can afford it (and can find one that works with propane), I'd suggest a duel fuel range. Gas/propane stove-top is loved by most chefs and the electric oven is often considered better for baking.

That's my dream range. *sigh*

Electric is considered better for baking because it's a more constant heat. Gas is better for stove-top because it's instant, right temp heat, and instant off. If I had to choose between the two, (and I did have to) I'd go with gas.

The dual fuel one's I've seen are megabucks >$1K. I'm definitely sticking with gas for the cooktop.

chefjeanine said:

Funny how things work out. Back when we were picking our kitchen appliances, we really wanted double ovens on one wall and a separate cooktop. But I balked at the cost (the cabinet FOR the double ovens was probably more $ than the ovens - or close to it, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, DH talked me into getting the double ovens and the separate cooktop. Of course, we got gas for the cooktop, but I really didn't think about the ovens (I guess I had assumed they would be gas, too). Like I said, I didn't even give it a thought. Well, it turned out they were electric. And I am really glad we have the electric ovens.

But, we do have 5 burners on our cooktop. And I can honestly say I NEVER use all 5 burners at once. BUT, I do use that extra 5th burner for extra room. It gives me an out of the way place for a pan when I need to move it off the heat. Even though I don't actually USE the 5th burner, I wouldn't give up that extra spot.

If I were to buy another stove and had no kids at home, I'd buy one with a separate, small, one rack oven on top of the regular oven. One of my hosts had this--it heated up in nothing flat and has to cost a lot less than running a full oven at times.My own stove is electric and I do have the 5th burner, but have rarely used it. I also got the combo convection, but rarely use that either.

gailz2 said:
If I were to buy another stove and had no kids at home, I'd buy one with a separate, small, one rack oven on top of the regular oven. One of my hosts had this--it heated up in nothing flat and has to cost a lot less than running a full oven at times.

My own stove is electric and I do have the 5th burner, but have rarely used it. I also got the combo convection, but rarely use that either.

We have this type of stove. It has the smaller oven on top & the big one on the bottom. It is amazing. We (a family of 5) use the top oven the most & only seem to use the bottom one when a) we're cooking a big meal & I need both or b) when I bake & want proper circulation. B doesn't happen very often so I use the small one the most. :)

I am piqued with the idea of the two oven range and have been thinking about whether they are worth the extra money.

Crystal, what brand do you have?

This is pretty close to what we have. I know that we have a super-size burner that fits our 12" skillet and then the other front burner has adjustable sizes two. The back two burners are insta-boil & heat quickly & then there is the center warming spot. Ours is electric.

One thing - don't do the white top. It's a pain to keep clean.

http://www.maytag.com/catalog/product.jsp?src=Ranges&cat=9&prod=1795

ChefBeckyD said:
That's my dream range. *sigh*

If I had to choose between the two, (and I did have to) I'd go with gas.

My dream, too.

We are house shopping and when I walk into kitchens without a gas stove I start trying to figure out what I'll have to do to change it to gas.:D

We are *fingers crossed* going to be going to the new induction cook tops..... check them out sometime, especially if you have little hands in your house that may touch the stove.

I'm a little worried about the maytag gas ones with the double oven because the stovetop control knobs are on top. This appears to make you lose cooktop space and cause a potential danger to you when you want to adjust the flames.

Okay, I went to Sears today. I know what I want. I'm going to get the Kenmore http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02277482000P?keyword=7748&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

So, now my DH says he doesn't want a Kenmore because he's worried about reliability. Now I'm looking at GEs. I found a http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02269022000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Cooking+Appliances&sName=Freestanding&keyword=pgb918&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2that I like, but the price is getting up there! However, I found it at a much lower price with a search through techbargains.com.

Dotty said:
So, now my DH says he doesn't want a Kenmore because he's worried about reliability. Now I'm looking at GEs. I found a http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02269022000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Cooking+Appliances&sName=Freestanding&keyword=pgb918&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2that I like, but the price is getting up there! However, I found it at a much lower price with a search through techbargains.com.

According to Consumer's Report, Kenmore is one of the MOST reliable brands...

I know it is silly to be so excited but..Countdown till new stove -- 3 more days!!!! Of course then yet another day for the installation, because it is LP and the delivery guys can't install it.

1. How do I know when it's time for a new stove?

There are a few signs that may indicate it's time for a new stove. These include: frequent breakdowns or repairs, uneven cooking or baking, inconsistent temperatures, and outdated features. If you're experiencing any of these issues, it may be time to consider investing in a new stove.

2. What should I look for when purchasing a new stove?

When shopping for a new stove, consider factors such as size and fuel type (electric, gas, or induction), as well as features like self-cleaning, convection cooking, and built-in timers. It's also important to think about your budget and the overall aesthetic of your kitchen.

3. How often should I clean my stove?

It's recommended to clean your stove at least once a month to maintain its appearance and functionality. However, if you use your stove frequently, you may want to clean it more often to prevent buildup of food and grease.

4. Can I install a new stove myself?

It's always best to have a professional install your new stove to ensure it is done correctly and safely. However, if you are knowledgeable and comfortable with electrical and gas connections, you may be able to install it yourself. Always consult the manufacturer's instructions and follow proper safety precautions.

5. What is the average lifespan of a stove?

The average lifespan of a stove is around 10-15 years. However, this can vary depending on the quality of the stove and how well it is maintained. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help prolong the life of your stove.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
carlajanes
Replies
Views
Devin
Replies
Views
PamperedchefDaly
  • AnnieBee
  • Pampered Chef Recipes