• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Considering Becoming an Consultant!

In summary, Becky is considering becoming a consultant and is hosting a show this Saturday. She is not sure how this all works but her consultant is new and will be answering questions for her. Becky is hoping to do this PT just for some time away and a bit of pocket change, but is worried that she wont have enough people willing to book shows. She is a stay at home mom and is new to the area, so she is hoping that the support she finds here will be enough to help her succeed. Becky is also hoping to receive some free goodies from Pampered Chef as a start. As for commission, Becky's consultant or someone on the forum will be able to answer this question.
Becky0216
Hi everyone,
My name is Becky and I am considering becoming a consultant. I am hosting a show this Saturday and thats when i think I am going to sign up.
I am not sure how this all works. My consultant is fairly new herself but will be answering questions for me Sat.
I am hoping to do this PT just for some time away and a bit of pocket change.
Anyone able to tell me whats invloved with signing up so I am ready for Sat? Someone told me I have to already have 4 parties booked. Is that true? Also how much commission will I make?
TIA for anyones help.
Looks like there are alot of smart people on here who are successful at this.

Becky0216 said:
Hi everyone,
My name is Becky and I am considering becoming a consultant. I am hosting a show this Saturday and thats when i think I am going to sign up.
I am not sure how this all works. My consultant is fairly new herself but will be answering questions for me Sat.
I am hoping to do this PT just for some time away and a bit of pocket change.
Anyone able to tell me whats invloved with signing up so I am ready for Sat? Someone told me I have to already have 4 parties booked. Is that true? Also how much commission will I make?
TIA for anyones help.
Looks like there are alot of smart people on here who are successful at this.

First, congratulations.
Second, don't worry about signing up under a new recruit, her director is responsible for training and SHOULD be available to help you.
Third, TONS of people do this for hobby or part time.
Fourth, not much to signing except SS# and kit payment ready. Your kit contains pretty much everything you need to start with products and paperwork.
Finally (for this round of answers), it REALLY helps to have those shows booked BEFORE you sign. If you take kit credit at your show, you have up to 6 months to use it and sign. By having shows booked and ready, you hit the ground running and maximize PC dollars (you earn this in your first 30/90 days) for yourself and make a difference on how your business is throughout the year. With a slow start, it is harder to build and may discourage you.

Oh, commission starts at 20%...it gets higher by the amount sold in a month or when you hit $15,000 in sales you get a 2% "raise".

Thank you Janet. I am worried that I wont have enough people willing to book. I am a stay at home mom to 2 kiddos. So it is tough to really get out there and mingle. We recently moved about an hour from all my friends, so its all new to me.
The bummer is, my show I am hosting Saturday already has $500 in orders and I have 15 attending. I am looking at a $1,000 plus show. Had I decided earlier to become a consultant, I would have been able to dothis for myself right?
I hope I can do well enough to keep it going. How many shows are required to keep everything up to date?

Becky you will love it, I have been with Pampered Chef for 3 years and enjoy it even more as time passes. I have 115 shows and my goal is to double that "this year". Your consultant will walk you through everything on Saturday, she also has a team that she can get help from (because she is new), you will find a lot of support from your cluster (team), head office, the website that you will have access to when you sign up. Monthly news and weekly emails. There is also a ton of help here to as you have noticed.
Yes you need to have 4 booking dates when you sign up on Saturday, so as you are reminding your guests of Saturdays party ask them if they would be willing to help you out in your new business by booking a show. Really try to book the 4 shows in close, 2 one week and 2 the next. When you first start out if they are spread too far apart then each one seems like the first all over again. Also it gives you a strong start and the best part, free goodies from Pampered Chef. They are a very generous company when it comes to perks.
As for the commission because I am in Canada I don't want to lead you astray with the wrong information but your consultant or someone on here will be able to answer this question. I am very happy with what Pampered Chef gives as a commission. I sure hope I have helped some.
Lorna

Becky0216 said:
Thank you Janet. I am worried that I wont have enough people willing to book. I am a stay at home mom to 2 kiddos. So it is tough to really get out there and mingle. We recently moved about an hour from all my friends, so its all new to me.
The bummer is, my show I am hosting Saturday already has $500 in orders and I have 15 attending. I am looking at a $1,000 plus show. Had I decided earlier to become a consultant, I would have been able to dothis for myself right?
I hope I can do well enough to keep it going. How many shows are required to keep everything up to date?

With a crowd like that have the consultant verbalize that you WANT to do this and get started and see who will book a show. Another thing is you CAN still do that show for yourself - talk to the consultant and see if she'll let you do the show. You can sign that night and submit the show a few days later if the kit credit as a host isn't something you care about.

That and your announcement to 15 people should hopefully get you what you need to get started. The rest will start to come from there as you get out and meet people.

...and if your guests are worried about booking close:1. Sell the February host special - get them all booked in February if you can!
2. Remind them that they can do catalog shows too.
3. If they think they are inviting the same people, remind them to invite people from work, neighbors, people from church, kids functions, hair dresser, receptionist at the doctor's office, the list goes on...EVERYONE has to eat!You will never have another "kick-off" or first show so use the enthusiasm!!!!

I wouldn't think my Cons. would want me to take over her show. She will be makin good commission from that show. I think I have 3 interested in booking. Just not sure how soon they are willing.
Also, what exactly is entailed in a catalog show?

Perhaps you can ask your consultant if you could take any bookings from the show you're hosting to get your business started. I've no idea if this is realistic, but it might be a thought...

Becky0216 said:
I wouldn't think my Cons. would want me to take over her show. She will be makin good commission from that show. I think I have 3 interested in booking. Just not sure how soon they are willing.
Also, what exactly is entailed in a catalog show?

I'd talk to her before you assume...I personally would trade the commission any day to get my recruit off to a good start.

It's not a matter of taking - it is your show - you are hosting. ...and becoming a consultant is about you, not your recruiter. Getting you off to a proper start will help her more in the long run!

With a catalog show they just hand out books and gather orders for you, so there is no one big group at anyones house. Sometimes that is less stressful for people. The show requirements are a little different, but that is all on the back page of the catalog.
As far as having the 4 shows booked ahead, take it from someone who started slow thinking things would take over and everyone would wait in line to book a show. It does require work, and the more shows you have at first, the better it is. Don't be afraid to ask people! And, congratulations! :D

I dont understand how the recruit works. How will that help her more?
And We already discussed me taking the bookings because I am the one who called them and got them on board.

It's more worthwhile to let someone sign and have their show be their first show. It gives you practice to do the show yourself plus you get the credit for the show.

My director will always give a show up if it means someone will sign. See if your consultant has a director above her that you can talk to if she's confused on this part.

Most consultants will also give a new consultant any of the bookings from their show. So make sure to ask about that too. That way your first few shows are with people you know.

If you are signing right away then you might want to consider keeping the $500 in outside orders you've already got and submitting them as your first show. Afterall, YOU got those on your own. Let the consultant have your upcoming show and close it that night. Any additional outside orders can be another show too. Tell everyone at your show that you are signing as a consultant and that they can help you by booking a show of their own and introducing you to their friends.

Oh, one other thing. For your show that your consultant is doing. Have your mom or someone else you are close to be a co-host. The reason I'm saying that is that once you sign as a consultant you cannot take advantage of the booking benefit from all of your friends that offer to have a show for you. But, if you have a co-host, 'they' can ;) . KWIM?!

pamperedlinda said:
If you are signing right away then you might want to consider keeping the $500 in outside orders you've already got and submitting them as your first show. Afterall, YOU got those on your own. Let the consultant have your upcoming show and close it that night. Any additional outside orders can be another show too. Tell everyone at your show that you are signing as a consultant and that they can help you by booking a show of their own and introducing you to their friends.

This is an excellent idea! Have talked with the consultant about any of this yet? That would be the first step.

wadesgirl said:
This is an excellent idea! Have talked with the consultant about any of this yet? That would be the first step.
I heard this on one of the tapes I got from supply.....I think it might have been Jillian Eisenberg....maybe?

pamperedlinda said:
I heard this on one of the tapes I got from supply.....I think it might have been Jillian Eisenberg....maybe?

I've heard of people doing that before, still gives the original consultant some benefits while getting the new consultant's first booking out of the way.

wadesgirl said:
I've heard of people doing that before, still gives the original consultant some benefits while getting the new consultant's first booking out of the way.
Yes, and it also shows that you are supporting them and helping them off to a good start. A really good motivator I think.

pamperedlinda said:
Yes, and it also shows that you are supporting them and helping them off to a good start. A really good motivator I think.

My director has always taught us that it's worth more for the new consultant to do their first show than for them to take the Kit Credit. Most consultants would rather give up a show to a new consultant to get them off to a great start.

Call the consultant you are working with, I'm sure she would much rather you sign BEFORE your show. AND I bet she would be willing to come to help you with your "kickoff"

I have a host from Saturday that is taking her kit credit option AND I told her to keep ALL of her additional $300+ in outside orders to submit as her first 2 shows. Janet is correct, your recruiter should want you to have a strong start. We can always make up lost commission;) ;)

Good luck to you - you are already off to a great start!:D

wadesgirl said:
My director has always taught us that it's worth more for the new consultant to do their first show than for them to take the Kit Credit. Most consultants would rather give up a show to a new consultant to get them off to a great start.

Yes, it doesn't financially benefit them at this point, but someday long, long down the road will. It keeps the relationship better and I think ethically would be a good thing to do.

Linda's idea is GREAT about the outside orders...you did do the work, you deserve the benefit of those.

If your recruiter doesn't give up the cooking show, she can take those orders and you can sign and submit the $500 worth as your first show as a catalog show.

wickednoodle said:
Perhaps you can ask your consultant if you could take any bookings from the show you're hosting to get your business started. I've no idea if this is realistic, but it might be a thought...

Actually, this is the correct thing for the consultant to do. She should give you the bookings from your show. And I definately would keep the outside orders and put them in as catalog shows! You can split them up and have your first 3 shows done!!!:) :)

I recommend that my new consultants get 4 catalog shows even before they sign their agreement, then they can sign and submit their first 4 shows within their first week! It takes the pressure off of them and they get $100 PC dollars for the 4 shows...and of course if the 4 shows are $1250 or more than they get another $100 PC dollars!!! So ideally my consultants all get $200 PC dollars in their first week as a consultant~!:D

What is the difference between catalog and cooking show? I know the main difference, but as far as the orders i already have. can't I just count them as 2 shows so I am already half way through my 4 show start? Also is there an incentive to getting 4 shows done quickly?

I have not talked to my cons. about giving up the show, however, I don't think she would be interested. I can ask her though. She didn't seem too happy about me deciding to join to begin with. I guess because I am taking away 3 instant bookings that I got commitments to already. Not sure.

She is aware of the outside orders and never offered for me to use them for myself. Is that common?
Thanks to everyone for so much support and help. This is going to be tough for me and I hope to make it work. I am sure I will be better off just being a part of this community.

are you saying each show needs to total 1250? I am sure one show I will be having will bring in atleast 5-600 but not 1250.

The only difference between a cooking show and a catalog show is the demo itself! And the host gets an extra $15 for a cooking show to reimburse for ingredients!

Like I said in my post before I would actually split them into 3 shows! And as you can see in my last post, when you do your first 4 shows in your first 30 days you get $100 PC dollars to spend on any products, catalogs etc. that you want! This is for every 4 shows and every $1250 in sales!!!:)

Becky0216 said:
are you saying each show needs to total 1250? I am sure one show I will be having will bring in atleast 5-600 but not 1250.

No the total of all 4 shows added together = $1250

Sorry for the confusion!

ok, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying. So then I just need 1 more show to get the ball rolling and I already have a commitment for that.
So I am not looked down on or earn less for having the first 3 shows done as catalog shows?

Becky0216 said:
.......She didn't seem too happy about me deciding to join to begin with. I guess because I am taking away 3 instant bookings that I got commitments to already. Not sure.
You know, you don't have to sign under her. If you are starting out with some animosity it might get worse - or it could be a non-issue. Just because she is the one you are currently working with doesn't mean that she is the only one you have to work with. You are starting your own business. If I were you - I'd interview your prospective director and if you aren't happy with what you hear then interview another one. Once you sign as a consultant you won't be able to change your director so find someone you like working with now. It will make all the difference in your outlook.

I hope that makes sense?

Becky0216 said:
I have not talked to my cons. about giving up the show, however, I don't think she would be interested. I can ask her though. She didn't seem too happy about me deciding to join to begin with. I guess because I am taking away 3 instant bookings that I got commitments to already. Not sure.

Maybe you should ask her if she would like you to sign under her Director if she is not interrested in recruiting. Sounds like she is worried that you will be taking all of her business...we all go through that! But I do have consultants on my team who do not want to sign someone, so when someone wants to join, they have them call me. Just a thought!

Becky0216 said:
ok, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying. So then I just need 1 more show to get the ball rolling and I already have a commitment for that.
So I am not looked down on or earn less for having the first 3 shows done as catalog shows?

Nope definately not!! It is great to get those first 4 shows done ASAP!!:)

If she's new, she may not understand why it's better to give you the show or even just the orders. That's why I suggested seeing if you can talk to her recruiter or director. I know I didn't want to give up a show because someone wanted to sign when I first started. She may not understand the whole process herself. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe see if you can do a meeting with her and her director before your show.. Most director's will train new recruits no matter who they signed up under.

pamperedlinda said:
You know, you don't have to sign under her. If you are starting out with some animosity it might get worse - or it could be a non-issue. Just because she is the one you are currently working with doesn't mean that she is the only one you have to work with. You are starting your own business. If I were you - I'd interview your prospective director and if you aren't happy with what you hear then interview another one. Once you sign as a consultant you won't be able to change your director so find someone you like working with now. It will make all the difference in your outlook.

I hope that makes sense?

Linda sounds like both you and I agree on this one!!!:)

fruit76loop said:
I've heard horror stories about consultants who have either had major problems and have even left their biz b/c they had issues with their directors.

pamperedlinda said:
Oh, one other thing. For your show that your consultant is doing. Have your mom or someone else you are close to be a co-host. The reason I'm saying that is that once you sign as a consultant you cannot take advantage of the booking benefit from all of your friends that offer to have a show for you. But, if you have a co-host, 'they' can ;) . KWIM?!

dont quite understand this. What booking benefits would I get if I were not a consultant?
I dont want to hurt my cons. feelings. I feel like it would be mean to ask her to let me do the show and also to close it that night.

pamperedlinda said:
I've heard horror stories about consultants who have either had major problems and have even left their biz b/c they had issues with their directors.

I didn't sign with the Pampered Chef consultant I knew. Her business ethics weren't that good and I personally didn't like her. She did several shows for my aunt and a bridal shower for me. I just couldn't pull myself around to like her and she didn't seem that interested in giving me information about signing up besides some basic flyers and the Empowering Women magazine. My sister passed on a name of a wonderful upper level director that basically had me convinced to sign up the first night we talked. She came over the next day with my Start-Up box (or what ever it's called). I feel like you should be comfortable with who you work with in the business or it could be the end of your business if you don't feel like you are getting that much out of it.

Becky0216 said:
dont quite understand this. What booking benefits would I get if I were not a consultant?
I dont want to hurt my cons. feelings. I feel like it would be mean to ask her to let me do the show and also to close it that night.

The booking benefit is for other people that book off of you. So if you have Sally who books a February show and Julie who books a March Show. Then in February you can get ANY two items at 60% off at her show! And in March you will be able to select from one of our Bamboo Collections at 60% off at Julie's show.

You don't get this benefit when you are a consultant

man sorry if I seem dense, but i sure am lost. I would think as a PT cons. it would be hard to lose a party. What benefit would she have to give up her party? Wouldn't speaking to her director create animosity? Is that like going to the boss? I don't want an awkward party.

Becky0216 said:
The booking benefit is that the original host (or co-host) is able to buy the monthly Host Special at any show that is booked from theirs. Once you sign as a consultant 'you' cannot do this.....but 'your co-host' can. Understand? This has nothing to do with the consultant who does your show. The booking benefit stays with the original hosts no matter who the consultant is.

Becky0216 said:

It's a consultant's job to help out a new consultant in their business. The whole part about recruiting is sharing the dream, not keeping it to yourself. This is the biggest reason why I think you should talk with her and her director about this. I'm not saying she is but if she's feeling selfish and doesn't want to give you your first show, then maybe her director can talk to her about what a good idea it is.

Becky0216 said:
man sorry if I seem dense, but i sure am lost. I would think as a PT cons. it would be hard to lose a party. What benefit would she have to give up her party? Wouldn't speaking to her director create animosity? Is that like going to the boss? I don't want an awkward party.

Becky, I would just take the outside orders and put those in as your first 3 shows and let her do the show you have booked.

We only suggested speaking to her director because it already seemed like there was animosity between you and her.

Also she will get perks for you being recruited and qualified! She will be a $50 Best Buy card when you qualify by the end of your 30 days, AND she gets 25 catalogs. So she isn't loosing out too much!

fruit76loop said:

...and me - I was offline for a few minutes at work.

Sounds like she is new and just worried about her business and doesn't see the long-term benefits.

As consultants, we cannot steal a recruit if you are working with someone - that is unethical. But the recruit has the option (although they aren't normally aware of it) of signing under whomever they want to. I would talk to her about the show and see if she is supportive and ask to have the meeting with her and her director and see where it goes.

It is a great business and best to get it off on a GREAT start!

You'll love it and be happy you did!

fruit76loop said:
Becky, I would just take the outside orders and put those in as your first 3 shows and let her do the show you have booked.

We only suggested speaking to her director because it already seemed like there was animosity between you and her.

Also she will get perks for you being recruited and qualified! She will be a $50 Best Buy card when you qualify by the end of your 30 days, AND she gets 25 catalogs. So she isn't loosing out too much!

Yes, what she said! :thumbup:

She does get catalogs and stuff so she really isn't losing.

So get yourself a strong start!

janetupnorth said:
Yes, what she said! :thumbup:

She does get catalogs and stuff so she really isn't losing.

So get yourself a strong start!
and it should motivate her to sign another so that she will be a Future Director and start earning more $$ with the override....yeah, it's only 1%, but it sure adds up!

I sent her an email because that is how she prefers to be contacted. I am hoping she is not going to be annoyed with me. I sent the email at around 10am and have not heard anything yet, so I am not sure whats going on. She stays home and is usually real quick in responding.

So I will make out better with the booking benefits than just being a consultant? what does someone else have to do to be a co-host? do they have to order? If the do order, does it not count as my total sales?

As of right now there isn't animosity. She just seemed real short after I inquired about becoming a cons.
If she would let me use my show as my first for myself, that would be great. I am just really thinking recruiting is not a priority to her to just give that up.

Becky0216 said:
I didn't read through the posts, so sorry if this is a repeat. Have your consultant ask at your show: "I know that there are those of you in attendance who want to book a show, and those who don't want to do a show AT ALL. I want you to honestly think, though, who here would be willing to hold a show to help Becky get her new Pampered Chef business off to a great start?!! Even if you wouldn't consider a show "normally" I am asking you to think about doing something that would help her start her new business." You could even have her ask this when they are filling out door prize slips (if she uses them) and she could say something like: "If you could help Becky out in this way, please draw a smiley face :D on the top right corner of your prize slip. That way, I will be sure to let her know how many of you are ready and waiting to help her!"

HTH

If you submit the show after you sign up, you cannot co-host with someone as a consultant, someone may want to explain this better.

I was more saying to talk with her and her director so that maybe the director can help answer some questions that she cannot. And if there are hard feelings right now, then you do have the right to sign with who ever you want.

I do have to say as a consultant, she should be available on the phone too. That seems a little weird that she wouldn't want to be contacted by phone.

I wasn't aware that you needed to buy catalogs. How much money does one have to invest in this? I knew about the start up, but anything else?

This is prt of an email I got from her yesterday. I have not heard anything about earning cutlery... so is this true?

"The bare bones of the commitment is the $155 for the start up kit (which contains over $500 of products and supplies to get you started) and a commitment to do 4 shows of at least $150 in guest sales each (it just has to qualify as a show). What happens from there is up to you. THere are other great incentives for new consultants -from earning Pampered Chef dollars (that can be used toward additional supplies, products, etc), to earning other products free. For example if you were to join before February 29 and qualify in your first 30 days (that's the 4 shows), you can earn your choice of 3 of the Forged Cutlery pieces free!"

BTW I have a number for her. She said she just prefers us to email.

Yes, the cutlery incentive is true (& amazing!!) You get 25 catalogs each season in your changeover kit ($6). Anything beyond that you have to purchase, but they are very reasonable. You can view all of the incentives for new consultants at your recruiter's site under "Join My Team" or through the HO site The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

Other less talked about incentives are free personal website for 90 days when you qualify in your first 90 days & entry into drawing for Merrill $25 gift certificate when you complete online training classes in your first 60 days.

Best of luck to you! My recruiter was actually getting out of the business when I asked her to sign. She may just be unsure about what all is involved especially if she is new. I felt like I couldn't recruit until I knew what I was doing, so she may be feeling the same way!

<h2>1. How does the sign up process work?</h2><p>The sign up process for becoming a Pampered Chef consultant is simple and can be done online or through a consultant. You will need to provide some personal information, choose a starter kit, and pay the sign up fee. Your consultant can guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.</p><h2>2. Do I need to have parties already booked to become a consultant?</h2><p>No, it is not necessary to have parties already booked before becoming a consultant. However, having parties lined up can help jumpstart your business and get your name out there. Your consultant can also help you with booking parties and provide tips for successful parties.</p><h2>3. How much commission will I make as a consultant?</h2><p>The commission structure for Pampered Chef consultants varies depending on your sales and level of leadership within the company. On average, consultants earn 20-25% commission on their sales. Your consultant can provide more specific information about the commission structure.</p><h2>4. What is the time commitment for being a consultant?</h2><p>The time commitment for being a Pampered Chef consultant is flexible and can be tailored to fit your schedule. You can work as little or as much as you want, making it a great opportunity for those looking for a part-time job or extra income.</p><h2>5. What support and training is provided for new consultants?</h2><p>Pampered Chef provides extensive training and support for new consultants. You will have access to online training modules, webinars, and resources to help you succeed. Your consultant will also be there to guide and mentor you along the way.</p>

1. How does the sign up process work?

The sign up process for becoming a Pampered Chef consultant is simple and can be done online or through a consultant. You will need to provide some personal information, choose a starter kit, and pay the sign up fee. Your consultant can guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

2. Do I need to have parties already booked to become a consultant?

No, it is not necessary to have parties already booked before becoming a consultant. However, having parties lined up can help jumpstart your business and get your name out there. Your consultant can also help you with booking parties and provide tips for successful parties.

3. How much commission will I make as a consultant?

The commission structure for Pampered Chef consultants varies depending on your sales and level of leadership within the company. On average, consultants earn 20-25% commission on their sales. Your consultant can provide more specific information about the commission structure.

4. What is the time commitment for being a consultant?

The time commitment for being a Pampered Chef consultant is flexible and can be tailored to fit your schedule. You can work as little or as much as you want, making it a great opportunity for those looking for a part-time job or extra income.

5. What support and training is provided for new consultants?

Pampered Chef provides extensive training and support for new consultants. You will have access to online training modules, webinars, and resources to help you succeed. Your consultant will also be there to guide and mentor you along the way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Love Lauren
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies
Views
jori-sc
  • Tara Dotson
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies