• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Considering Bamboo Floors? Hear From Those Who Have!

In summary, bamboo floors may be good for someone who wants a medium color finish, but they are not as durable as hardwood floors.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Anyone here in CS land have bamboo floors or know of someone who does? We're seriously considering them for the house we're building and have to make up our minds this weekend :eek: We have hardwood floors in this house and although I love the medium - dark brown I chose. However, I only chose a matte/satin finish and still find it's too much shine aka MAJOR dust, dust bunnies, everything shows on it ! - footprints from the kids (both dirty socks from coming in the garage way, or wet or sweaty :eek: feet from the pool or just summer in general).

I love the look of the horizontal bamboo floor in a medium color as opposed to the golden natural color but I've heard from a few people that they heard from people and so on and so on that it's not as durable as hardwood and scratches and dents VERY easily. I'd hate to spend $7,000 or so to have them look horrible in a month. These are also the only woodish type floor I could find that didn't have much shine. I don't want laminate or engineered as I don't find them real enough looking. I like the depth of the gaps between the wood, makes it look real to me. LOL I did actually find some hardwood at an exclusive place that uses a 'dogged' finish which is only about 22% instead of the matte of 50% and the semi and full gloss at higher percentages but the colors we liked (in 4 and 5 inch slats) were going to cost us 9.99 a foot = $14,000 BEFORE installation which is my whole flooring budget!!

So now I'm looking at the pros and cons of bamboo from people I trust :) and a reputable recommended brand or two would be appreciated too!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
I love bamboo floors, my husbands great grand parents (no that's not a typo) just put them in. They say they are very easy to care for. I have heard that they are very durable, at least as good as wood. I am trying to talk my DH into them now.

Um, Shana...bamboo IS wood.

Technically, bamboo is a grass, not wood.

I'm probably getting bamboo when I do my kitchen next year. What I like about it is that it's a renewable resource, which grows faster than hardwood trees. But I'm going to install mine on the diagonal to add a sense of motion and space to the room.

I was thinking about bamboo floors when we built our house. The salesman actually talked me out of them. He said thay they weren't as durable as hardwoods and that they had a tendancy to peel (since they are grass). I didn't research it, as I really wanted cherry hardwood floors anyhow. I think the bamboo floors are very beautiful, but I'd do a little research on them if I were you.....just to be sure they will last.

Wait a minute. Did Ann just catch Kitchen Guy being wrong???:eek:

Yep. That's one for me, several hundred thousand for him.

:D

We installed bamboo floor in 1/2 our house about 2 months ago. I love the look and the sheen. However bamboo dents VERY VERY easily. I already have lots of marks on it from everyday use. At least where it dents or scratches, you're not left with a different colored gash, since the floor is the same color all the way through (it's not a stain on the top). It's not as soft as pine or cork, but definitely softer than hardwood.

I'm very happy with it, but if you freak out over scratches, then it's not for you.

We installed it ourselves and it was very easy. You just need to rent the nail gun and you need an air compressor and saw. We saved about half $ by installing it ourselves.

luvs2sellit said:
Wait a minute. Did Ann just catch Kitchen Guy being wrong???:eek:

I was going to correct him myself... but I thought I'd leave it for someone else! Thanks Ann

I put in hickory floors when I built my house. They are a lighter color and have a lot of grain in them so you don't see the dust. They are also very durable. I have two dogs that run around on them all day and scratches don't show. They are made by Armstrong.

Related to Considering Bamboo Floors? Hear From Those Who Have!

What are the benefits of bamboo floors?

Bamboo floors are a popular choice for homeowners because they are eco-friendly, durable, and affordable. They also have a unique and beautiful appearance that can add character to any room.

How do bamboo floors compare to hardwood floors?

Bamboo floors are often compared to hardwood floors because they have a similar appearance and are both considered durable flooring options. However, bamboo is a grass, not a wood, and therefore has different properties and characteristics. Bamboo is also more sustainable and environmentally friendly than hardwood.

Are bamboo floors easy to maintain?

Yes, bamboo floors are relatively easy to maintain. They can be swept, vacuumed, or mopped with a damp cloth. It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or steam cleaners on bamboo floors, as this can damage the surface.

Do bamboo floors come in different styles and colors?

Yes, bamboo floors come in a variety of styles and colors to fit any design aesthetic. They can be found in natural, carbonized, and stained finishes, as well as different plank sizes and patterns.

What should I consider before installing bamboo floors?

Before installing bamboo floors, it is important to consider the climate and humidity levels in your area, as well as the level of foot traffic in the room. It is also important to properly prepare the subfloor and acclimate the bamboo planks before installation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • chefann
  • General Chat