• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conquering Excuses: Leslie's Journey to Business Success

I finally listened and got on the phone...It has been almost 2 years since I submitted more than $1300 for the month until now. I did over 2500 last month and will do the same this month. This may not seem like a lot to some but for me it is. This would be HUGE for me and an answer to prayer!
krzymomof4
Silver Member
Hello...My name is Leslie and I am an excuse maker when it comes to my business.

I guess I am posting this so I will see it and hold myself accountable.
I have not been getting on the phone because of excuses. I don't make my calls through the day because even though it is my quieter part of my life (only 1 home), I convince myself that I am going to get all machines and I sound really funny on a machine...so I will do it in the evening or after dinner so that I can get a live person.

Evening comes and goes and the boys are loud, so I say that I can't make calls because I don't want to be interupted and be embarrassed.
After supper comes and goes with getting boys ready for bed, DH getting ready for work, etc. I look at the clock and it is 9 pm.

UGGGG!!!!

You are definitely not alone! Here are my excuses:

1. 10am - 2pm No one will be home
  2. 2pm - 4pm People are getting home from school and don't want to be bugged
  3. 4pm - 7pm Getting home from work and getting dinner ready, don't want to be bugged
  4. After 8pm it's too late
So from my list the only time of day that I can call is between 7 and 8pm. Nevermind that it is our getting ready for bed time! Talk about sabotaging myself!!

We can either make money or make excuses. Can't do both. Your choice. :)

Sarah,
Were we seperated at birth????:D

krzymomof4 said:
Hello...My name is Leslie and I am an excuse maker when it comes to my business.

I guess I am posting this so I will see it and hold myself accountable.
I have not been getting on the phone because of excuses. I don't make my calls through the day because even though it is my quieter part of my life (only 1 home), I convince myself that I am going to get all machines and I sound really funny on a machine...so I will do it in the evening or after dinner so that I can get a live person.

Evening comes and goes and the boys are loud, so I say that I can't make calls because I don't want to be interupted and be embarrassed.
After supper comes and goes with getting boys ready for bed, DH getting ready for work, etc. I look at the clock and it is 9 pm.

UGGGG!!!!

This is exactly WORD FOR WORD, my excuses...except insert girls where boys are named. We need to start an EA club!

I'm here to offer encouragement...My best calling times are Sunday through Thursday from 7:30-9PM (except Wednesday...in this area EVERYONE goes to church on Wednesday). I won't call after 9PM unless they give me permission.

Go ahead and next time you find yourself with a 15 minute window, challenge yourself to make some phone calls (even if it's to a machine...it's practice and you might actually find someone home and available!).

Good luck!

Excuse, excuses, excuses...I have 3 young boys (all under the age of 4) and a husband that works the worst hours and I am the QUEEN of exuces...actually I used to be. I went to a Future Director/Director retreat (even though I only had 1 recruit under me) back in Feb. Since then I made the decision not to make excuses why I could not work my business. I have been told "Don't make excuses to not work your business but REASONS why you should be working your business". Boy I had heard that a million times for months and never listened. I finally listened and got on the phone...It has been almost 2 years since I submitted more than $1300 for the month until now. I did over 2500 last month and will do the same this month. This may not seem like a lot to some but for me it is. I finally did my first 1000 show also in April.

I tend to be the queen of excuses ... it is often too early or too late to make my calls!

did over 2500 last month and will do the same this month. This may not seem like a lot to some but for me it is.

This would be HUGE for me and an answer to prayer!

Here are my REASONS:

* Food in my house
* Utilities
* Cel phone
* Car insurance
* Gas in my car!

These are all expenses that I have to pay for with PC earnings ... with my regular job, I have to choose one of the above NOT to pay!

jenniferm said:
Excuse, excuses, excuses...I have 3 young boys (all under the age of 4) and a husband that works the worst hours and I am the QUEEN of exuces...actually I used to be. I went to a Future Director/Director retreat (even though I only had 1 recruit under me) back in Feb. Since then I made the decision not to make excuses why I could not work my business. I have been told "Don't make excuses to not work your business but REASONS why you should be working your business". Boy I had heard that a million times for months and never listened. I finally listened and got on the phone...It has been almost 2 years since I submitted more than $1300 for the month until now. I did over 2500 last month and will do the same this month. This may not seem like a lot to some but for me it is. I finally did my first 1000 show also in April.

Good for you!!!!
I am so happy to hear you have turned the corner. Keep it going girl, I know you can!! :D

linojackie said:
This is exactly WORD FOR WORD, my excuses...except insert girls where boys are named. We need to start an EA club!

Sounds great! But I won't be able to make the first meeting... ummm... I have to... ummm... go wash my hair. Yeah, that's it. I have to wash my hair.

hehe, you're funny, Katie! :)

I've made many excuses myself too, but I think it's a lot of mind over matter. If you keep thinking you'll get all machines, then you will! It may help too to set yourself a schedule of when you will get on the phone, and then DO IT!! Easier said then done, I know, but you have to if you want to grow your business. Think of the phone as your friend. Maybe even get yourself a headset so you can walk around. Sometimes I find that easier to work off the anxiety of making calls (and they look cool!! hehe ;)). And, practice makes perfect. They get easier. I used to HATE making calls, but now I figure, whatever happens, happens! The worse they can say is NO and that's not gonna kill me!!

Now, go get on the phone!! :D

My name is Heather and I invented the phrase..."I'll get on the phone tomorrow!"

I think my director is about ready to throw me under the bridge. She was hoping I would promote by 7/1. Kind of hard to do when my 2 recruits are inactive and I haven't tried to recruit more.

Can I join the club? I really need to find my motivation and have someone to share accountability with. I see the success of so many and deep down I feel I'll never be able to do that.

Anybody got a psych degree they want to dust off? Could use some therapy... ;)

jrny2001 said:
My name is Heather and I invented the phrase..."I'll get on the phone tomorrow!"

I think my director is about ready to throw me under the bridge. She was hoping I would promote by 7/1. Kind of hard to do when my 2 recruits are inactive and I haven't tried to recruit more.

Can I join the club? I really need to find my motivation and have someone to share accountability with. I see the success of so many and deep down I feel I'll never be able to do that.

Anybody got a psych degree they want to dust off? Could use some therapy... ;)

There was a 3-2-1 for success thread at one point...is that still on the go? We could be held accountable there....that's why I stayed away from it! LOL :D

I am working through a period where I not only made excuses, but was really believing them and taking them to heart. One degree closer to the bottom of a barrel than just making excuses.

For me, getting through it has been mind over matter. The biggest battle of all. What I did was REALLY soul search. I had to ask myself...is this the end for you with PC? Immediately, I realized my answer was NO. I LOVE:love: doing PC. I love doing the parties, laughing and helping people. Also, I realized that I love seeing others realize their dreams. I think I had been letting some those rare "not so pleasant" customers and/or hosts get to me.

The next question I asked myself was...then what the hell are you doing? Many ugly and embarassing feelings, thoughts and reactions came up. While sorting through everything, little by little, I am dealing with my self created issues and conquering them. FINALLY, I am getting back on the phone and getting more parties on my calendar.

Today I was listening to a new CD by Karen Phelps called Pulling your Big Girl Panties Up. It helped and it showed me how Karen herself has pulled herself through the stinking thinking. Just Google her name and her site is Postive Performance. She addresses excuses head on so if invest in it if you feel it will help. And just so you know, there is no "refer my name" catch involved. It is just a CD I have found helpful.

Karen Phelps, Belinda Ellsworth, Julie Weitz are all direct sales motivators and educators that have excellent material.

Don't be ashamed to admit that you may be self sabotaging yourself. It will make you a stronger consultant. It is easy to just say get over your self and get on with it, but this time, soul searching really helped me.

What if you just sit down and make 1 call? Write up a script in case you get the answering machine and practice it out loud a couple times before you make the call. Then if you get the answering machine you're ready. Then the next day you can make 2 calls. Start small and as you start getting results it'll get easier.
And remember, the biggest critic of you is always YOU!! I spilled coffee all over myself the other day and all day I was walking around thinking I smell like old, cold coffee, I look like I peed my pants (or worse!) and everyone is looking at me, etc. I went to my volunteer job that night and mentioned that I spilled coffee all over myself that day. The girl I was there with said "well, good thing you had time to go home and change." But I hadn't changed! Moral of the story? No one could see, smell or notice the coffee but ME!

Since one of the things I love is that we can tailor PC to fit our lives, I have a solution to one of your excuses. Count 5 (or 10, or 20, or . . . ) as a contact. That way if you have to make your calls during the day, and you only get machines, you won't end up as frustrated.

Trust me. There will be no 3-2-1 Police showing up on your doorstep to punish you for it.

And, before you ask, no, that's not how I count my contacts. It's just an idea that popped into my wee, little brain.

Who dug this thread up anyway?????
I didn't need reminded that I am the QUEEN of excuses.
On second thought maybe I did!:blushing:

See what happens when you rely on New Posts? I didn't even realize this was an old one.

Sarah, I love your story and will remember that. What a great visual of how we can convince ourselves the we are just not good enough!

Rae's idea is great too! What helped me was doing a fair. I MADE myself do a small town one because my calendar was so poopy that I had no shows anyway and it was either sit home on my duff or do SOMETHING...anything!!!

Best thing I could have done. I met new people and reconnected with former contacts that I thought...didn't like me or they must be mad I have not called them in years...like Sarah with her coffee spill, they never knew that in my head was this horrible consultant. I had one former host book with me...it has been several years, got 3 shows, a catalog show and a lead for a weekend booth for over the summer that my team and I participate in!! Just 29 door prize slips netted this!

My mantra has been book a party and avoid fairs. They are a waste of time. It was such a pleasure proving myself wrong!!

Besides making excuses, always thought "well if someone wants to book a show, they'll call me." I was definitely talking myself out of getting on the phone! That's the hardest part for me, is asking for bookings. I've always been so shy it's hard for me to drum up the confidence to ASK!

I try to do a fair every month it allows me to meet new people and get myself out there... don't knock it till you try it..............I have also put a copy of the catty in a binder with each page in a plastic protector and left it open on my table. this is a great way for people to look in the catty at things i have not put out on display...Works every time...

Related to Conquering Excuses: Leslie's Journey to Business Success

1. How did Leslie overcome her excuses to achieve business success?

Leslie made a conscious decision to stop making excuses and take action towards her goals. She also sought support from her mentor and network of peers, who helped keep her accountable and motivated.

2. What were some of the most common excuses Leslie faced in her journey?

Some of the excuses Leslie faced were fear of failure, lack of time, and self-doubt. She also struggled with balancing her personal and professional responsibilities.

3. How can I apply Leslie's strategies to my own business or career?

You can start by identifying your own excuses and making a commitment to overcome them. Surround yourself with a supportive network and seek guidance from a mentor. Set achievable goals and take consistent action towards them.

4. How did Leslie's mindset shift contribute to her success?

Leslie shifted her mindset from making excuses to taking ownership and responsibility for her actions. She also adopted a growth mindset, where she saw challenges as opportunities for growth and learning.

5. What are some resources Leslie recommends for conquering excuses?

Leslie recommends reading books on personal and professional development, attending workshops and seminars, and seeking guidance from a mentor. She also suggests surrounding yourself with positive and supportive people who will hold you accountable.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• poohritz
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • KarenH
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • AnnaPChef