• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Confession: My Love-Hate Relationship with Our Can Opener

In summary, some people prefer the old kitchen shears over the can opener, while others find the electric can opener easier to use.
PCMelissa
Gold Member
I confess that I do not love our can opener. THERE, I said it, it's out in the open now. Phew, I feel better!:blushing:

Well, You'll get some major opposition here!! I love it! In fact, I have the electric one attached to my cabinets and I will choose the PC can opener over that ANYDAY!!

I much prefer the old kitchen shears.

I think if you learned to use them you would love it. It seems that most of the time people who don't like the can opener are not using it correctly. I love mine. I no longer have an electric either, hate them things.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I much prefer the old kitchen shears.

Absolutely 100% with you on that one!

I do like the can opener, though:rolleyes:.

dianevill said:
Absolutely 100% with you on that one!

I do like the can opener, though:rolleyes:.

Yup Me too!!! I wish they made the old shears in Black instead of changing them all together -

I love the can opener as well -

ok, I completely agree with you...most times anyone says they do not like something it is cause they are not using them right.

But, here is my problem with the can opener, and I am not sure what i can be going wrong. Sometimes it is really hard to turn.... and then a lot of times, it has not fully opened the can. My fingers HURT trying to pry the lid off the can. Then, I have to go over and open it again. Any suggestions?

I think you have a defective can opener. Call PC they will send you a new one right away since you need it for your shows. Then send the other back.

One thing is don't use your fingers to open it. It is very hard to do. Use the little gripper teeth on the side of the opener. Grip the lip of the lid with it and it comes right off.

crissy11 said:
One thing is don't use your fingers to open it. It is very hard to do. Use the little gripper teeth on the side of the opener. Grip the lip of the lid with it and it comes right off.

WHAT! Oh, wow, yeah, I did not know about that!!! Hmmm, I will give that a try...that will probably make a huge difference.

Thanks!:love:

Also when using the little grippers don't grip too much of the lid, just enough to get ahold of it.

I had this same complaint until about a week ago. And I knew so many people loved this can opener and I couldn't figure out why! I even asked my husband to try. We kept using can openers to get the lid off. Ha! I kept trying and I kept telling myself to read the brochure or watch a video on it, but I didn't. Finally I saw those little gripper teeth thingies and Voila! It's fabulous!

I was supposed to demo the can opener at my last show and basically forgot. Now I need to remember to do it at the next show that host will be at. Sometimes you just have to see to believe.My favorite can opener story and I do share this at my shows is one with DH in it. I was taking a shower one day while he was grilling dinner. I heard the door to the bathroom open and he tells me through the curtain that he cannot get the -bleep- can opener to work. I open the curtain and some how he made a HUGE dent in the side of the can trying to open it?? So here I am standing in the shower opening his can for him! And it did go through the dent!

I don't own the can opener, and had never used it before until back in December I was at work, we were having our Christmas party. I needed a can opener to make the punch and OOPS I forgot to bring one! One of my co-workers said OHHH I have one! She goes to her purse and pulls out a PC can opener. She must have known I would forget something! Anyways, she hands it to me and walks away, she must have assumed that because I do PC I would know how to work the darned thing! I know exactly what big dent you are talking about! I did the same thing! It took me a while, but I finally got the can opened, and it did even go through the dent. All of the other cans were a cinch to open, but I still have no desire to purchase our can opener. I like mine that I have now. I would however recommend our can opener to others. It's good, but right now I don't see the point in purchasing it when I have one that works just fine for me.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the can opener!! We have 5 of them because we love them so much. I have one in the kitchen, one in my kit, one in my camper, one in my desk drawer at work and one is in my BF's desk drawer at work. We also each have a can strainer, small bar board and FC knife at work too. I also have an apple wedger at work. Everyone comes to my desk to use the can opener b/c they LOVE it too!!

Melissa, I hope that the can opener starts to work better for you. The one trick that I use is to make sure that when you put it on that you can lift the can with the can opener and it doesn't fall off. Then I turn it until I feel a slight "give" that is when I know I got around it. Sometimes it is hard to get off the lid b/c of the "gum" that is inside the can, but normally, not a problem at all. I hope you start to LOVE it too!!

I really wasn't convinced that our can opener was that great at first. Now maybe mine is defective, I don't know. THere are many times when the cans just won't open. I am using it correctly, and I know it's on right, and I am using the grabbers to lift the lid. Sometimes the lid will only open part way and then won't finish lifting up like it wasn't cut through all the way. I found that most cans I have to go around a couple times. Some cans must use a lot of glue. Some cans open beautifully for me, and others I want to throw the can opener across the room. :mad: :rolleyes: :cry: That being said, I do love ours for the safety of not slicing your hand on the sharp cut lid. I have a friend who hates DS companies and refuses to go to shows. But after she sliced her hand really bad, she contacted me for our can opener. :D

I love our can opener and I use it at every show that I am opening a can at and I say "These make a great gift. In fact, I suggest to anyone who needs to buy a gift for someone that you don't particularly like or you are having an arguement with right now, to buy our can opener. Why? Because it's awesome and no one will be able to say you didn't buy a nice gift. But before you wrap it - take out the instructions. They will never figure out how to use it and most of them will be too embarrassed to tell you they can't use a can opener" People get a big kick out of it and I sell quite a few can openers - whether they are gifts or not I don't know;)

pcsharon1 said:
I love our can opener and I use it at every show that I am opening a can at and I say "These make a great gift. In fact, I suggest to anyone who needs to buy a gift for someone that you don't particularly like or you are having an arguement with right now, to buy our can opener. Why? Because it's awesome and no one will be able to say you didn't buy a nice gift. But before you wrap it - take out the instructions. They will never figure out how to use it and most of them will be too embarrassed to tell you they can't use a can opener" People get a big kick out of it and I sell quite a few can openers - whether they are gifts or not I don't know;)

Oh my WORD!!! I am so stealing this line!! I LOVE it!!!

pcsharon1 said:

Hahah! That's awesome!!

And though it probably doesn't go for most of our products, this IS definitely one you need to read the how to sheet. I was so confused at first! Now I love it. My parents still can't get it right. But once you do, it is great! I love that it stays clean and never touches the food!

I also LOVE the can opener!!! I trashed my electric can opener the minute I got the PC one! My MIL complains every time she's at my house and tries to use it, but I told her that we love it and it's the best can opener that you can have! My sister and her daughter fight over who gets to use theirs.

PCMelissa said:
I confess that I do not love our can opener. THERE, I said it, it's out in the open now. Phew, I feel better!:blushing:

I have to admit, I use a cheap one I've had for years even when it is sitting beside of my PC one.. I'm just not a huge fan, don't really know why..

Are you guys who don't like it using it correctly? Or is that why you don't like it, because it's too difficult to use? Once you get the hang of it and know to use the little grippers to remove the lid it really is a wonderful thing!

One of my customers was having problems and I looked at it... you actually have to go round the lid a few times with some of them. My friend has figured out about 10 to 12 turns to get the lid to snap... So you don't necessarily only cirlcle the lid once. Try it!!! It might help! Also if you just wiggle the can opener while it is still gripping the can, the lid should come off so no need to use the "little grippers". Those are just a waste of time... lol

There are a few cans that don't open well--mostly cheap, thin cans like I found my dulce de leche in or certain off brands of sweetened condensed milk. They tend to bend instead of cutting. Other than that, you shouldn't have to go around the can more than once, the can opener is either defective or old and dull.

raebates said:
There are a few cans that don't open well--mostly cheap, thin cans like I found my dulce de leche in or certain off brands of sweetened condensed milk. They tend to bend instead of cutting. Other than that, you shouldn't have to go around the can more than once, the can opener is either defective or old and dull.

I've been using a PC can opener for years...so many that I can't remember when I got it. I started having problems with lids not coming off...having to run 2 to 3 times around the can...I finally tossed it and got one out from my stash and it works beautifully! I figure my old one was just dull...my new one is a dream. I've done many demo's at shows where people get educated and love ours...they just need to know how! And they love the little "bird beak" gripper. You never have to touch the lid!

Alright, I will confess, too. I own another direct sales smooth edge can opener and like it much better. PC's works great but this other one feels much nicer in my hands and works the same way...it is just an ergonomic thing

Related to Confession: My Love-Hate Relationship with Our Can Opener

What is the "I Have a Confession..." product line?

The "I Have a Confession..." product line is a collection of kitchen tools and gadgets designed to make cooking and meal prep easier and more efficient. These products are exclusive to Pampered Chef and are designed with the home cook in mind.

How do I use the "I Have a Confession..." products?

The "I Have a Confession..." products are designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. Each product comes with a detailed instruction guide and many also include recipe suggestions. You can also visit the Pampered Chef website for video tutorials and additional tips and tricks.

Are the "I Have a Confession..." products safe to use?

Yes, all "I Have a Confession..." products are made with high-quality materials and are rigorously tested for safety. They are also backed by Pampered Chef's satisfaction guarantee, so you can feel confident using them in your kitchen.

Can I purchase "I Have a Confession..." products in stores?

No, "I Have a Confession..." products are only available for purchase through a Pampered Chef consultant or on the Pampered Chef website. This allows us to provide personalized customer service and support for our products.

Do "I Have a Confession..." products come with a warranty?

Yes, all "I Have a Confession..." products come with a limited lifetime warranty. This means that if you experience any issues with your product, you can contact Pampered Chef for a replacement or refund.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
janezapchef
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views