• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Conference Call Rudeness: Why Are People So Inconsiderate?

In summary, the conversation involved sharing experiences of being on conference calls where other participants were being rude or oblivious to their surroundings. Examples included people coughing, talking to others, and even doing dishes while on the call. The participants agreed that it is easy to mute oneself and couldn't understand why others don't do so. They also shared instances where leaders of the call would ask loud participants to mute themselves. The conversation also touched on the issue of pointing out someone's rudeness and the struggle to hear and participate in the call when there is excessive noise.
AJPratt
Silver Member
So, is it me or are people just plain rude or clueless when they are on a conference call? I was on one last night and people are coughing, choking, kids yelling, having conversations with other people, clearing their throats, and DOING DISHES while on this call. You can mute yourself easily (#6 is your friend!) and I don't know why people don't. The dishes we soooo loud, it wasn't like rinsing a dish or two, it sounded like this person worked in a restaurant. This call was over a hour and it was going on the WHOLE time. I wasn't able to hear most of the call because of it. I didn't want to interrupt the speaker to say anything, but I finally lost it and said something. I mean, I know pointing people's rudeness out is a little rude, but what about when I am not able to hear anything? Anyone else experience this?

I have been on a couple of calls like that. The ladies that were leading the call just kept saying, "Hello! Press 6!" It was like that for 10 minutes, maybe, not the whole time.

It just doesn't make sense to me why people do that either!

Was it a tele class?

Most of the conference calls/teleclasses I've been on the leaders ask the loud people to mute when it happens. My NED isn't afraid to call them on it right away if there is noise. I think it helps everyone get the most out of the call.

My NED tells the loud ones immediately to please hit mute.

I downloaded a selling teleclass and couldn't hear a word. It sounded like one of the people were outside standing beside a freeway!

i agree katie, I've tried dl several all and messing with the sound but each time i just got a headache! my husband even came in the office and was like what are you listining to turn it off! lol so i hopeing to acctually call in but listing to Ann it won't be much help... is there anyway at the begining to ask the leader to remind the caller's about the 6 button?

Loud people!!I would definitely have said something. Way to go showing self control ANNE! LOL
I would have said "What, What, What I can't hear you."

Then maybe someone would have said "Please press mute if you are making too much noise."
When I did a teleclass the lady doing the class did a great job of making the consultants who had loud children or a constant ringing phone mute themselves. It is actually their job, I think, to make sure they make it enjoyable and beneficial to us if we are taking the time to join their class. It should be addressed in your review of the class. They should email you one. And be sure to let them know that she didn't handle that very well.

Debbie :D

Sometimes people put their phone on speaker and don't realize that it magnifies all the little sounds on their end.And some people are just rude. :)If the leader didn't say anything about it, you should comment on that on the evaluation form. If the leader gets enough of those comments, I'm sure they'll be spoken to by the training department.

It wasn't a teleclass. It was with Belinda Ellsworth. I don't want to say anything because I don't want to offend anyone on the call. What happened was I turned to yell to my husband in the next room and I accidentally unmuted my phone. I yelled to him, "Oh my Gawd... Like someone is doing her dishes." And then Belinda said, "Yeah, I can hear it, too and it is really loud." I didn't mean to be rude and I certainly would have NEVER said that in front of Belinda. All I heard was a beep and didn't realize that my cheek had hit of all buttons, #6. Although I was mortified, I was relieved that the dishes stopped.

I had to LOL at you Anne, that was just too funny. I know the same thing would have definately happened to me, just my luck, lmbo.

LOL Anne that is too funny!! Hey, atleast you got to enjoy the rest of the call! By the way I was reading your praise of Belinda and decided to join Success Express. It looks REALLY promising!

That is very rude...and that sounds like the kind of luck I have! It doesn't sound like Belinda minded though; you probably said what she was thinking!
Were you able to get good things out of the call?

WOW.... that is so rude... I can't believe people do that durning a confence call...... why do they bother calling in if their going to be doing other things.

How does one get in on Belinda's conference calls? I just got her CDs recently and I LOVE her!! She is making SUCH a difference in my business already!

mommyhugz1978 said:
WOW.... that is so rude... I can't believe people do that durning a confence call...... why do they bother calling in if their going to be doing other things.

I'm not one of the rude people (I hope). I always try to mute, if it works. However, sometimes you have to multi-task. It is the only way to get some things done. Not everyone can seclude themselves for 30 minutes to an hour to be on a call. I know that I almost always have 1 of my 4 kiddos wanting something AS SOON AS I get on the phone. It is a good time to do the dishes because dishwashing is a mindless task and you can still pay attention. She should've muted herself though. Don't get me wrong on that aspect...no one should have heard her multi-tasking!

I have had that happen also, but only on teleclasses.
I am also doing the step up class and that is fabulous!
During that class, either the people are more focused or they are quicker on the mute because it is Nancy Jo, because there is almost NO background noise. Which I love!
I actually set up with my babysitter for that class.
I figure it is an opportunity that I need to wok on, and if I don't think it is valuble enough to just do that than I might as well not take it right now.
On other teleclasses I always multi task though. It helps if you mute it and don't let them know your on, so they don't call on you :)
I would have spoken up much sooner though, anne!
I'm surprised , I figured you would be one that would!
Do you have to pay for that call with Belinda?
I would be more than steamed if I paid to get in and had to listen through dishes!
I hope the next one is better

it is an opportunity that I need to wok on,

Maybe I shoulkd call Yan Can Cook to help :D

You can register for calls with her through her site www.stepintosuccess.com. They cost $15 each and run about an hour. Its on the front page and its in the lavender column on the left. IF you buy the Power Hour or Host Coaching package you get them for free. You just have to go back and sign up for the Conf Call and when they ask for credit card #, just fill in fake info and make a note "Just purchased PH or HC package."

I am glad that I'm not alone! Of course, since I had already done the whole PH thing, I was multi tasking the first 5 minutes of the call when she was explaining things, but I did mute the phone. As soon as I get on the phone our television volume magically goes up!!

mom2leelee said:
LOL Anne that is too funny!! Hey, atleast you got to enjoy the rest of the call! By the way I was reading your praise of Belinda and decided to join Success Express. It looks REALLY promising!
Yea!!! Its a great site! Once you pour through everything, the search engine is AWESOME!!

It is always a good idea to say something when someone has lots of noise in the background. They may not be aware of how loud it comes across or that it is heard at all. They are more likely to be clueless :eek: than rude so give them the benefit of the doubt.

I had been on several conference calls/teleclasses - sitting at my desk. And then I was on one on a day that time was tight so I was that person loading the dishwasher - I had no clue how loud that sounded to the others. The moderator very nicely said "Who ever is doing their dishes, please mute." I was mortifed that I had disturbed everyone else and ever since have been very careful to always mute if there is any noise in my house.

Beth: You are right, she probably didn't realize how loud it was... I certainly was doing some multitasking, too. I was mortified when my comment went over! I thought my cheek had just hit another button. LOL

What is considered conference call rudeness?

Conference call rudeness can encompass a range of behaviors, such as interrupting others, talking over people, not paying attention, or being disrespectful.

How can I avoid being rude on a conference call?

To avoid being rude on a conference call, make sure to listen actively, avoid multitasking, and use appropriate tone and language. Also, be mindful of background noise and mute yourself when not speaking.

What should I do if someone else is being rude on a conference call?

If someone else is being rude on a conference call, try to address the behavior calmly and respectfully. If the behavior continues, you can politely bring it up to the meeting facilitator or address it after the call.

How can I make sure everyone feels included and heard on a conference call?

To make sure everyone feels included and heard on a conference call, try to create an inclusive and welcoming environment. Encourage everyone to participate and actively listen to others. Use tools like hand raising or chat features to ensure everyone has a chance to speak.

Are there any specific rules or guidelines for conference call etiquette?

While there are no specific rules for conference call etiquette, it is important to be respectful, attentive, and inclusive. Communicate clearly, avoid background noise, and follow any specific guidelines set by the meeting facilitator.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
pclinskie
  • micocina