• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Computer Problems! I Need Help!

In summary, Donna's computer was having problems loading certain websites, and when she tried different things, it wasn't fixing the problem. She tried restoring her computer to a date before the problems started, and that didn't work. She also tried reformatting her computer, and it worked.
DMB75
Does anyone know a lot about computers? Starting three days ago we have been having problems with our computer loading certain online sites. The first site that went bad was Ebay. It wouldn't load. It just sat there for ten mins and then the screen went white. Then I noticed that my hotmail wouldn't load picture and it took forever for it to come up and my husband said last night that NFL.com would come up either. It's only a couple sites, every other site comes up fine and fast. We've deleted cookies, cleared history, ran the last virus scan, check for updates on our browser, and still no luck. Does anyone has any suggestions for us. I live on ebay and it's driving me crazy. I went to a friends house last nigh to do some ebay searching. Luckily I don't have any auctions up, I just like to buy other people's junk. LOL I've e-mail the tech support from ebay but they just gave us a list of things to do that we already tried and it's still not working.

HELP!
Donna

Try running Adaware and then uninstalling and reinstalling your Internet Explorer if that is what you use.

In the meantime try to download Firefox and install and use that as a browser.

Sounds like you got a virus or worm or rogue program that your virus scan isn't catching...

Also, make sure your firewall is on...maybe try turning of your phishing filter temporarily in Internet Explorer if that is what you have...the new update caused some havoc with some people.

Reading again, I'm betting it MIGHT be the phishing filter...try testing by turning that off first.

I would still try to download Firefox and see if that works for all sites...

I'll get you a link to Adaware in a second...

http://www.lavasoft.de/products/ad_aware_free.php

Here you go...

Thanks for the advise, but it's still not working. We tried Ad-Aware, uninstalling and reinstalling our internet explorer, my husband tried Firefox and turning off our phishing filter.

Actually we tried a couple different anti-virus, tried different browsers, and a lot of other things and we just can't fix this problem. When my husband woke up this morning he said, it was time to look for a new CPU.

I'm so frusterated right now.

Donna

Did you try restoring your computer to a date before the problems started? Sometimes that helps.

Geekgirl69 said:
Did you try restoring your computer to a date before the problems started? Sometimes that helps.

They can only do that if they have XP and if the problem isn't imbedded deeper than the System Restore software touches.

Before you look for a new PC, you could backup all your files elsewhere and format and reinstall your operating system.

Sounds like there is more to the problem if you are saying only "certain" websites act up and they act up in both IE and Firefox. Have you talked to your ISP yet to see if they put up a firewall of some sort causing issues? I don't know what your ISPs are like overseas.

I would do what Janet suggests - reformat the computer. I do that probably 3-4 times a year - it just seems to clear up a LOT of problems.

What version of internet explorer are you using? how old is the computer?

My hubby says you may have to save everything and reload windows.

I'm watching this thread with great interest, as we have started having the EXACT same problem! I'm ready to toss mine, too, and just get a new one, reformat this one and let ds have it ...:yuck:

Also make sure if you're using IE explorer, you have cleared your cache (everything), cookies and you have it set to refresh the page each time you go to a site.

(For you Sandy who may not have tried the things above).

Sandy, just reformat it for you first. Unless your computer is SERIOUSLY out of date there's no sense replacing it (unless you just really want the new hardware). Reformatting works wonders!

Sometimes, I think the computer sellers of the world are excited to see us having trouble with the computers. ;) In hopes that we do just toss it & buy a new one.... LOL... please note, I am completely just kidding. Just jumping on the hating your own computer at the moment bandwagon. Can you tell mine still isn't working either? I can't even get the restore to work properly.

Thanks for all the help. It's working fine now. A friend sent me an article that said some international links were running slow for a few days. Not sure if that was the problem, but when we woke up this morning it was fine.

Donna

DMB75 said:
Thanks for all the help. It's working fine now. A friend sent me an article that said some international links were running slow for a few days. Not sure if that was the problem, but when we woke up this morning it was fine.

Donna

Glad to hear it was just an ISP-type issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Why is my computer running slow?

There are several possible reasons why your computer may be running slow. It could be due to a lack of memory or storage space, outdated software or drivers, or even malware. Try performing a disk cleanup, updating your software and drivers, and running a virus scan to see if that helps improve your computer's performance.

2. How do I fix a frozen screen?

If your screen is frozen, the first thing you should try is a simple restart. If that doesn't work, try pressing the "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" keys on your keyboard to open the task manager and end any unresponsive programs. You can also try unplugging any external devices or running a virus scan to check for malware.

3. What should I do if I can't connect to the internet?

If you are having trouble connecting to the internet, check to make sure your Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable is properly connected. You can also try restarting your modem and router, as well as running a network troubleshooter. If the issue persists, it could be a problem with your internet service provider.

4. How do I recover lost or deleted files?

If you have accidentally deleted a file or lost it due to a computer crash, you may be able to recover it by checking your recycle bin or using a file recovery program. It's always a good idea to regularly back up your important files to avoid losing them in the future.

5. How do I protect my computer from viruses and malware?

To protect your computer from viruses and malware, make sure to have a reputable antivirus software installed and keep it updated. Avoid clicking on suspicious links or downloading files from unknown sources. It's also important to regularly back up your files and keep your operating system and software up to date.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefann
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
DebbieJ
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • finley1991