• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Technical Help Needed With Outlook! (Long)

In summary, Sarah's computer won't open Outlook, and she's tried to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling the software, but it's not working. She's contacted a friend for help, and they told her to delete the file OUTCMD.DAT.
Chefstover2
A little background...I bought a new laptop in January, Windows 7. Loaded on my Office 2003 software. A friend who's an instructor gave me the software for Office 2007 that writes over the version I had and all was well.

I started using Outlook really in the way it was intended, including the calendar. My whole life is there, including host coaching notes, etc. about my upcoming shows, consultant coaching notes.

I went to use Outlook yesterday and it wouldn't open...at all. The only error message it would give is that it could not be opened. OK. restart the computer. No luck. Backed up the info and then tried to reinstall the software again...nothing. So my friend gave me the Office disk that has the key to it, and I uninstalled and then re-installed the whole Office Suite. Everything opens but Outlook. System offers to open in Safe Mode but then goes nowhere.

I've attempted to install another e-mail software but REALLY don't like it (Mozilla's Thunderbird) and it won't import the e-mails I have backed up.

Sooooo...any ideas? I'm down to taking the computer to Geek Squad and seeing if they can get it to work for me, but perhaps one of you awesome computer whiz's here might have an idea to try first.

TIA

I know people who might be able to help, if you can't find anyone here. Also, I just Googled "Microsoft Outlook won't open," and it took me to PCHell, which give this advice:One of the most common errors while using Outlook 2000/2002 is the problem of Outlook not opening when you click on the icon, or it takes a long time to open (30 seconds or more). Other issues with Outlook such as Out of Memory errors, Microsoft Error reports and other oddities can also be traced to this same issue. Luckily there is a simple fix that works most of the time.
Generally the problem can be traced to a corrupted OUTCMD.DAT file in your Outlook program. Outcmd.dat stores any custom changes that you make to your toolbar buttons. If the problem is resolved after you rename this file, you must make the custom toolbar button changes again. This seems like a minor file since its supposed to only monitor changes to your toolbars, however with the amount of spyware and adware that add toolbars, change toolbars, etc. it's understandable that this file could become corrupted quite easily and cause your Outlook program not to boot.To remove the OUTCMD.DAT file, simply search your computer for the file and delete it. When Microsoft Outlook opens again, it will recreate the file.Make sure Microsoft Outlook is completely closed.
Click Start, click on Find or Search, and then click Files or Folders.
Make sure that "Look in" is set to (C:\).
In the "Named" or "Search for..." box, type the following filename and click dll filename and click Search or Find NowOUTCMD.DAT
Delete any instances of OUTCMD.DAT and close the Search box.
Generally this file is found in the Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook folder
Reopen Microsoft Outlook and it should behave normally

I got it to work by uninstalling all versions of Office and reinstalling my Office 2003 and then reinstalling the bootstrap software (that writes over what I have). So far so good. But if it doesn't stick, I'll be in touch. Thanks Sarah!

1. What is Outlook and how does it work?

Outlook is a popular email and personal information management software developed by Microsoft. It allows users to send and receive emails, manage their calendars, contacts, tasks, and more.

2. How do I add an email account to Outlook?

To add an email account to Outlook, go to File > Add Account. Enter your email address and password, and Outlook will automatically configure the settings for your account.

3. I am unable to send or receive emails in Outlook. What could be the issue?

There could be several reasons for this issue, such as incorrect account settings, internet connectivity problems, or an issue with the email server. You can try troubleshooting by checking your internet connection and verifying the account settings. If the issue persists, it is best to contact technical support for further assistance.

4. How can I backup my Outlook data?

To backup your Outlook data, go to File > Open & Export > Import/Export. Select "Export to a file" and choose the data you want to backup. Then, choose a location to save the backup file and click Finish.

5. I accidentally deleted important emails in Outlook. Can I recover them?

Yes, you can recover deleted emails in Outlook. Go to the "Deleted Items" folder and look for the emails you want to recover. Right-click on the email and select "Move > Other Folder." Choose a folder to move the email back to, and it will be restored.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chefstover2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • chefmoseley
  • Pampered Chef Finances
Replies
Views
gailz2
  • Happy Mom