• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Christmas Stocking Cake: Tips and Ideas for the Perfect Holiday Dessert

In summary, The recipe called for 6 hours of refrigeration, which was not followed by the host. The recipe also required the graham crackers to soften for it to become a cake. The host demoed the cake but could not serve it to guests because the crackers were not soft enough. The host suggested that the recipe could be made by melting butter and brushing the graham crackers as they are made, which would make the cake part only ahead of time and decorate it at the show.
Malinda Klein
Gold Member
Has anyone made this? Any ideas or tips to share. I ALWAYS make the recipe before, but have been SOOOO busy I haven't had time to make this one.

Of course I'm demoing it tonight. problems? hints? HELP ...

READ THE RECIPE!!!

It calls for 6 hours of refrigeration, which is required in order for the graham crackers to soften for it to become a cake. I did not read the recipe until the day of my show, and could not serve it to my guests.

I'm a bit annoyed that HO would put this recipe on CC under the Homemade For The Holidays theme show, since it's not exactly a show recipe.

NooraK said:
READ THE RECIPE!!!

It calls for 6 hours of refrigeration, which is required in order for the graham crackers to soften for it to become a cake. I did not read the recipe until the day of my show, and could not serve it to my guests.

I'm a bit annoyed that HO would put this recipe on CC under the Homemade For The Holidays theme show, since it's not exactly a show recipe.

I was racking my brain on this too! We made it at cluster from start to finish but our Director had one made up for us to eat that she had done earlier in the day and I couldn't remember why. I was thinking it had to get cold, but that didn't seem right. So, yes, it was to allow the graham crackers to soften.

Yes, I agree, why promote it as a show recipe if you can't eat it right away?? Wouldn't it be very hard to cut if the crackers aren't soft? I would think all the filling would smush out when you apply pressure.

I just read the recipe AGAIN. Obviously missed the six hour refrigeration part. Now i'm wondering how to do this - And I agree, why have it as a show recipe if we can't eat it at the party! UghOK- would this WORK?????It was just SUGGESTED that i melt butter and brush the graham crackers as i'm making the stocking cake - to soften the crackers and make my cake. Anyone think this would work?

Last edited:
Perhaps make the cake part only ahead of time and decorate it at the show?

I had the cookie press at the show as well, so the guests just ate the cookies. I read the recipe earlier in the day, but I have to admit I played stupid when it came to that part of the demo.

If you have time, I'd say make it ahead (it's pretty quick) to bring with you, and pull out of the refrigerator at the end of your demo. Then again, that requires two serving dishes, but you could make the demo one on a dish your host owns and leave it for her.

UPDATE: I started the show with the question "Who reads the entire recipe before trying a new recipe out" Quite a few nodded their heads in agreement, while others said they don't always. I then explained that I missed the fine print in the recipe we were doing tonight that said "chill 6 hours before serving", BUT the host was gracious enough to allow everyone to wait the 6 hours until the cake was done. Everybody laughed at that. :) Normally I start out with intros, but decided that we'd switch things up and go right in the kitchen to start our demo. After the quick demo, we put the cake in the fridge and and we went thru the intro's, specials, catalog review, door prize slip. As they were ordering, the host took out the cake, and came in to let me know the crackers were already soft - whew. Everyone loved the cake and I ended up with a booking out of it :)

Funny Malinda!I haven't done this one yet, but was thinking of doing it with real cake. :D

I was wondering if softening the graham crackers with some milk might not work, or a water combo (very slightly, of course).

Malinda Klein said:
UPDATE: I started the show with the question "Who reads the entire recipe before trying a new recipe out" Quite a few nodded their heads in agreement, while others said they don't always. I then explained that I missed the fine print in the recipe we were doing tonight that said "chill 6 hours before serving", BUT the host was gracious enough to allow everyone to wait the 6 hours until the cake was done. Everybody laughed at that. :)

Normally I start out with intros, but decided that we'd switch things up and go right in the kitchen to start our demo. After the quick demo, we put the cake in the fridge and and we went thru the intro's, specials, catalog review, door prize slip. As they were ordering, the host took out the cake, and came in to let me know the crackers were already soft - whew.

Everyone loved the cake and I ended up with a booking out of it :)

I'm glad it turned out. :D

I did it the night before a show - and it was a big hit. Everyone thought it tasted wonderful - and really, it was pretty easy to do (as long as you're not a perfectionist!)So glad your show worked out. Humor is the best thing!!

I had seen the recipe too. Not READ IT completely. I thought the picture was cute. I glanced at the ingredients, but decided to just make my "own version". I made 1 box cake, baked on the large bar pan. I was lucky enough to find a Christmas stocking that fit perfectly to the bar pan. After letting the cake cool, I just used it as a template to cut around. Then decorated it similarly to the picture. It was really cute and festive. I do remember using red fruit by the foot to use as the border around the edges.
Now that I think about it, After reading the ingredients, I thought that it would be difficult to cut through the graham cracker bottom. Didn't read it enough to realize that if it is refrigerated for 6 hours, it would be easier. :blushing:
For the record, most of the time I do read the recipe completely.

I made this recipe, I won't lie, it was really hard (at least for me who isn't a baker) and I ended up buying the wrong whipped topping *DOH* so of course the topping didn't work out but regardless, I still put it together and in the fridge and it was still really really tasty! I might try it again with the correct whipped toppping next time over the holidays :)

I sent the following email to the TK:

I just wanted to say that I'm quite disappointed that this recipe is listed on the website under the Homemade For The Holidays theme show, when it calls for six hours of refrigeration. I admit that I should read through the recipe, but I should also be able to trust that something listed in a theme show is suitable for a demo.

And got this response:

Dear Noora,

Thank you for contacting The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen hotline with your feedback. I took another look at the materials on Consultant's Corner. Although the Homemade for the Holidays page implies that Christmas Stocking Cake and the other two recipes can be downloaded and given out, it's unclear about which of these recipes is appropriate for a demonstration. We appreciate your alerting us to this! In future seasons, we will either choose Show-appropriate recipes or frame them more clearly in the future so nobody is misled.

I apologize for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused you. Thank you again for openly sharing your feedback, and have a happy holiday season.

What is a Christmas Stocking Cake?

A Christmas Stocking Cake is a festive dessert typically served during the holiday season. It is made to resemble a Christmas stocking and is often filled with delicious treats like candy, cookies, or small toys.

How do I make a Christmas Stocking Cake?

To make a Christmas Stocking Cake, you will need a stocking-shaped cake pan or a regular rectangular pan and a template to cut out the shape. Bake your cake according to the recipe, let it cool, and then decorate it with frosting, sprinkles, and other decorations to resemble a stocking.

Can I personalize a Christmas Stocking Cake?

Yes, you can personalize a Christmas Stocking Cake by adding a name or message with frosting or using different colored candies to spell out a name. You can also fill the stocking with the recipient's favorite treats for a personalized touch.

How long does a Christmas Stocking Cake stay fresh?

A Christmas Stocking Cake will typically stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If it is filled with perishable treats like fruit or cream, it should be stored in the refrigerator and consumed within 1-2 days.

Can I use a different type of cake for a Christmas Stocking Cake?

Yes, you can use any type of cake for a Christmas Stocking Cake, such as chocolate, vanilla, or red velvet. You can also make it gluten-free or vegan by using alternative ingredients. Just be sure to adjust the baking time and temperature accordingly.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • tjb11675
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
mountainmama74
  • RoseAndrews