• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Children's Education - Who Has Used...

In summary, the conversation is about the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and its effectiveness in teaching young children to read. The participants discuss their own experiences with the book and other reading programs such as Jolly Phonics and Starfall.com. They also share their opinions on the importance of phonics-based reading instruction.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Who has used:
"Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons"?

We are on lesson 2 with my 4 year old (turned 4 in December). He's been BEGGING me to teach him to read for 2-3 months now so I got this book to work with him.

TOTAL opposite of DD!!!! She loves reading but wasn't interested in learning until mid-kindergarten.

Hi Janet!

I have a four year old girl and would love to know how well your son does with the program.

Does he already know the alphabet?

Thanks!
Lisa

Yes, he has "sung" it since he was 2. In this program, they work on sounds and writing letters along with it so it starts slow and keeps getting reinforced.

My kids LOVED the Leap Frog videos - The Letter Factory and others to learn the alphabet. ...and the Leap Frog fridge magnets.

My daughter is great at singing the song, but does not recognize as many letters as I would like at this time. However, based on your description, the book helps with that. Am I correct?

The major thing I found with this is it matches the phonics learning style when I learned to read vs. the "whole word" type style that is newer or whatever they called it. Correction is a part of the curriculum vs. the newer style of not correcting and letting them make up words.

I finally realized that is what many of the current 18-25 age generation can read and entire paragraph and get something out of it totally different than what it says. They weren't taught to read the words as written or intended, they were taught to take the general "gist" of it and free to make up words if they didn't know it. Not all were taught this way, but I've been running into more and more than have minor struggles with this and have over the last 5 years or so really wondered why business communication seems to get more and more difficult - the above just really clicked for me today in looking at the education styles.

I prefer the phonics-style reading programs.

ChefLisa said:
My daughter is great at singing the song, but does not recognize as many letters as I would like at this time. However, based on your description, the book helps with that. Am I correct?

Yes, we are ONLY a few lessons in but yes. Check it out on Amazon and other places.

I bought it then after I had it started hearing VERY good things from many teachers and special ed. teachers too.

It is VERY thorough and maps out exactly what to say as you instruct so you don't need to have a teaching degree or create lessons - it is there for you.

Thank you for the information on this. I am going to seriously consider it.

Lisa

Janet,

I agree - phonics is the way to go! Our school just started a program last year when my DD was in kindergarten called Jolly Phonics - they would teach the kids a new letter and sound each day along with an action to remember it. They introduced blends as well and each week they would have to spell 5 new words. Madolyn is now in 1st grade and an excellent reader - she absolutely loves to read and sounds everything out. Helps great with her spelling as well. We didn't have this program when my sons were younger - one is a natural good speller and reader but my 5th grader still struggles with reading and spelling - how I wish they did Jolly Phonics with every kid!

ChefLisa said:
Thank you for the information on this. I am going to seriously consider it.

Lisa

I think I only paid $15 for the book through Amazon, so if you aren't happy with it you really aren't out much and could always resell it since MANY seem to use it.

We aren't being much help to you, but my dd is 4 and in pre-k. I help her sound out words and do computer stuff with finishing (well really starting words) with the right letter. She loves to "read" and is always sounding out words and telling us what they start with :).

You ladies would like starfall.com. It is a website geared to reading. It is good for Pre-K to 2nd grade. It has letter-sound activities as well as reading activities. Check it out.
I just requested the "Teach Your Child.." book from my library, thanks for the information.

Thanks Keri-Lyn - I'll have to check the site out tonight.

My 3 1/2 year old DS loves starfall.com, he has been playing games on it for about 1 year now.

Luke will be 4 in July. He knows how to say his alphabet and can recognize almost all the letters if they are in CAPS. He knows a lot of them in lower case but not all of them. I have been trying to teach him to write his name but he will not let me have the pencil to show him, haha!!!

We got him a Vtech computer for Christmas that has several games on it. He loves to play the one that he finds the letters and does the sounds that they make. He will come up to us and do sound a lot. I

like Janet am a FIRM believer in Phonics. That is what I learned on and I love to read. I see so many kids struggling these days to read that are not taught to read on phonic. I remember when we use to get a visit from a "letter" each day in Kindergarten. We all wanted to be the one that got to go to the door to see which letter was waiting on us outside the door!!:D

I need to look into this book. He loves books and wants us to read to him all of the time and I think he would really enjoy being able to read.

1. How has Pampered Chef supported children's education?

Pampered Chef is committed to giving back to the community and supporting children's education. Through our Round-Up from the Heart program, we have donated over $27 million to various organizations that focus on children's education. We also offer fundraising opportunities for schools and organizations to raise money for educational programs.

2. What organizations has Pampered Chef partnered with for children's education?

We have partnered with several organizations, including Feeding America, No Kid Hungry, and Boys & Girls Clubs of America, to support children's education. We also work with local schools and organizations to provide resources and support for their educational programs.

3. How can I get involved in supporting children's education through Pampered Chef?

There are several ways to get involved in supporting children's education through Pampered Chef. You can participate in our Round-Up from the Heart program by rounding up your purchase to the nearest dollar and donating the difference to organizations that support children's education. You can also host a fundraiser or attend one of our fundraising events to support educational programs.

4. Can I donate directly to children's education through Pampered Chef?

Yes, you can donate directly to children's education through our Round-Up from the Heart program. You can also purchase select products that have a portion of their proceeds donated to organizations that support children's education.

5. How does Pampered Chef choose which organizations to support for children's education?

Pampered Chef carefully selects organizations that align with our mission and values to support children's education. We focus on organizations that provide resources and support for children in need, particularly in the areas of food insecurity and educational opportunities. We also prioritize partnering with local organizations to make a direct impact in communities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Nanisu
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views