• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen

In summary, the author has tried to make chicken the way the author prefers it to be made and has had no success. The author has also tried other methods, including using a garlic infused oil and a gas stove, and has had the same results. The author suggests trying a different oil and a different stove.
Malinda Klein
Gold Member
I have tried several times to make chicken your way and smoke the house out every time. What am i doing wrong? The chicken comes out wonderful, but the smoke is aweful. I actually did this the other day at a show, rub olive oil on the chicken, used our asian seasoning, preheated grill on medium heat for 5 minutes and cooked my chicken breast with grill press on top and smoked the house out.

What am I doing wrong?

Malinda, I have done chicken several times and don't have this problem. I preheat my pan with the press in it for about 5 min. I put my chicken in, spray the top with oil from my spritzer, sprinkle on my rub and place press on top. I let it cook for about 5 min., flip the chicken over and repeat the steps. Depending on the thickness of my chicken, I might have to flip a couple times, but I've never had a problem with smoke.

I've never had this problem either! I too spritz the pan and press rather than the chicken. I pat the chicken dry with a paper towel then season with rub. The chicken generally creates so much juice that any burning the pan may want to do is "put out" by the juice. Maybe you've got the pan too hot? It should be at about medium heat.

I've never had that problem either. I agree it maybe that you pan is too hot.

Use canola oil, or my favorite - coconut oil. They both have a higher smoke point than olive oil, meaning they can be used at higher temperatures and for longer periods of time without smoking. I wouldn't recommend olive oil for cooking full chicken breasts - it's supposed to be used for a quick saute type of cooking.

I agree with Becky - I would have said the same thing if she hadn't first. Olive oil is going to smoke you out every time. :)

Wow, I have had this problem with every show I've had. I use the garlic infused canola oil we make and man, it does smoke the house out. I'm glad to hear it's not just me!

It happens to me too. I have to take down my smoke detectors before I use my grill pan! I think my problem is that I have a professional gas stove which boils water on extra-low, so I think the pan is getting too hot. Not sure what I can do about that, though.

I just did mine tonight with olive oil and no smoke! I would try a different oil and are you turning your pan down a little after you put the chicken in?

I use olive oil all the time, just spritz both sides and add the rub. It has to be the pan is too hot, in my opinion - not the type of oil.
When you fry other food, does it go off? Is the chicken getting blackened?

Here is some info on cooking oils....

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=56

if you are going to switch oils, my vote is for grapeseed. I have just switched. I love not having to have two oils, one for cooking and another for baking. (Due to the distinctive flavor of olive oil, I've nevcer been adventerous enough to see if the flavor would come through in baking and used canola instead.) Grapeseed oil has a higher smoke point also and I love the Wildtree garlic infused oil. I love my garlic...

I had this problem and I used Canola. But the chicken was a LITTLE frozen and cooked longer than normal, and I'm sure I had it turned up too high.I use a gas stove. I wonder if there are more or less problems with electric?

I use olive oil always - never a problem with smoke! I agree that the pan is probably too hot!

I've never had a problem with electric. I previously used both regular olive oil, but switched to grapeseed oil a while ago. I noticed I wasn't getting the grill marks using it, so tonight I used some of our canola oil and still no smoke. If you think maybe it is your gas stove, try purchasing an electric "single buffet burner" (stand-alone electric burner). Mine was $10 and you can write it off as a business expense b/c you can take it to shows and do demos in the living room when the apt. kitchen is too small, etc. Anyway, use the same oil on the electric one at medium heat in your kitchen and see if it makes a difference.

I just made it today. I used olive oil and I have a gas stove. No smoke. I don't know what to tell you Malinda. Maybe you are using too high a temp?

I have never had this problem. I make chicken in the grill pan at least once a week at home and I only use Olive Oil.

Don't forget to pat the chicken dry as much as you can, to remove as much excess water and juice as you can before you put it into the pan. And keeping the pan at the right temperature is key too.

I think rubbing the chicken with oil instead of spritzing the pan only is the problem. Too much oil..too much smoke. I always have my exhaust fan running but don't notice the type of smoke you are talking about.

Last edited:
I also use olive oil and have never had a problem with smoke. I also put the oil on the chicken, not the pan, but that doesn't appear to the problem either. I'm guessing your pan is too hot.

I've tried turning the heat down on the stove since we were having a "smoke us out of the house chicken night" and no smoke. So I would really highly advise you, if you are having too much smoke, to turn the heat down some. Just my thoughts.

I have had a smoky kitchen many times. After reading the suggestions, I preheated my pan at a lower temp...4 on my electric stove top. I made sure that the chicken was patted dry and I brushed it with vegetable oil and sprinkled on the new applewood rub. I cooked the chicken 10 minutes on each side, but the chicken breasts were large. There was no smelly smoke, and the chicken was moist and juicy.

1. What is "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen"?

"Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen" is a versatile seasoning blend that adds a delicious smoky flavor to any dish with the convenience of being able to use it in your own kitchen. It is made with a blend of natural spices and can be used on chicken, vegetables, and even tofu.

2. How do I use "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen"?

Simply sprinkle the seasoning on your desired protein or vegetables before cooking. You can also mix it with oil to create a marinade for a more intense flavor. The amount used can vary based on personal preference, so feel free to experiment!

3. Is "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen" suitable for all dietary restrictions?

Yes, "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen" is gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. It does not contain any artificial flavors or preservatives, making it a great option for those with dietary restrictions.

4. Can I use "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen" in recipes other than chicken dishes?

Absolutely! While the seasoning is perfect for chicken, it can also be used on other proteins such as pork, beef, and seafood. You can also sprinkle it on vegetables or use it as a rub for tofu.

5. How should I store "Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen"?

"Chicken Your Way- Smoke in the Kitchen" should be stored in a cool, dry place. It is best to use it within a year of opening for optimal flavor. Make sure to tightly seal the container after each use to maintain its freshness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • SonyaVerrillo
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • aried
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies