• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Check Luggage in or Carry on Only?

In summary, flying is more expensive than driving, but if you have room in your car for the return trip there is less cost.
smart2cook
Gold Member
This is my first time going so I would like to know what most of you do? I do not have to pay extra to check a bag (which would give me more room for extra's) and then I could take my carry on's on the way also but just thought I would see what most of you do? Thanks.

Lat year was my first time and due to time constraints, we did carry-on only. I flew Southwest so there was no extra charge. This year I will not be so rushed so I am chekcing my bag (taking a bigger one). I can pack better when I can check my bag.

Depends on what you plan on bringing back. I have a direct flight on Southwest so I'm all about checking the bags and not having to deal with them in the airport. Then I can plan on bringing stuff back as well. Since we are making it a 'girls getaway' vacation and staying 6 days, I'll need more room than a carry on.

If you don't have to pay extra - why not check a piece of luggage for the "just in case". Better to be prepared and not use it than be wondering what you're going to do...

Enjoy your first conference!

Is there a Pampered Chef "Store" there to buy retired products, clothing, etc?

DEFINITELY take an extra bag or at least a bag with extra room. You'll have the opportunity to shop the Merrill Store, buy surprise boxes (filled with discontinued products), and purchase the new Fall catalogs/minis, etc. If you don't buy the catalogs there then you have to wait until they are released in August like everyone else.

You could carry on your luggage going there, and check your luggage for the flight home.

You are also able to have what you buy sent back home though FEDEX there is a stand and all you have to do is pack a box of what you buy from Merrill , mini's ect and have it sent straight home no need to even carry it ..
Love that

Ok, this is my first time going to conference. And I am trying to decide between flying and driving. For you old timers, you buy your ticket to fly and then we have to pay an additional $15-$25 no luggage is included in a flight?? It is 10 hours to drive so I am trying to figure out cost wise, which would be better. Since I just decided to go, the flights that I looked at right now are about $306 and higher plus luggage. If I drive, I would not have that cost, just the time it would take to drive and gas. Please would someone give me some advice. So far I am going by myself.

Thanks
Debbie

don't forget to factor in parking costs.

DebbieJ said:
don't forget to factor in parking costs.

And food/snacks you'll get along the way.

Even with gas, parking, and traveling food/snack it can still be less $$ to drive. You just have to do the math.

If you fly you also have to add the gas to and from the airport at home and parking fees there if you leave your car there vs someone driving round trip twice and the shuttle or cab cost to the hotel and back to the airport in Chicago and all the time that you have to be there before the flight and waiting for checked baggage and the shuttle.

Personally if it's even close I prefer to drive than to fly. I live over 15 hours from Chicago and I have flown, driven and flown one way/driven the other (we have family in WI and usually my DH and I tack a visit to one end of conference).

ETA: I do have room in my car for the return trip to North Carolina if someone wants to hitch a ride back from Conference. You'd be on your own to get there though...

Do you like to drive? Also figure out the cost of fuel-gas mileage per gallon cost for your vehicle round trip to have something to compare. Next I would compare length of flight and the possibility of others wanting to drive with you and sharing the costs...which would benefit everyone that would ride with you in splitting costs. I have heard lots of stories of how much fun groups have had in traveling together and sharing everything they have learned with one another-the drive was a blast for many!!!

Thank you for all the comments. Just for curiously sake I called enterprise car rental to see what the cost would be if I rented a car instead of using my own. Wow, for a week of renting, $255.00 and then if I added (which He recommended) the damage weiver, it would then be $358.62. And that was for a smaller car. So, I love to drive, and I would love to have anyone come along with me, but I think I am going to drive. I have AAA. and hopefully I can find someone that would like to ride along. And I might change my mind again for this moment I am really considering driving. I did figure in the cost of parking at the garage. My car gets great gas millage on a trip. My son was in Jacksonville NC and it took us 8 hours to drive there so I am used to long trips. Anyway, if anyone lives near me and wants to tag along, just let me know.

Deb.

debbieskitchenhelper said:
Thank you for all the comments. Just for curiously sake I called enterprise car rental to see what the cost would be if I rented a car instead of using my own. Wow, for a week of renting, $255.00 and then if I added (which He recommended) the damage weiver, it would then be $358.62. And that was for a smaller car. So, I love to drive, and I would love to have anyone come along with me, but I think I am going to drive. I have AAA. and hopefully I can find someone that would like to ride along. And I might change my mind again for this moment I am really considering driving. I did figure in the cost of parking at the garage. My car gets great gas millage on a trip. My son was in Jacksonville NC and it took us 8 hours to drive there so I am used to long trips. Anyway, if anyone lives near me and wants to tag along, just let me know.

Deb.

Is anyone from your cluster going (if they are local)?

I feel like I am the outcast at my cluster. I have not done anything for quite awhile and do not feel like I belong there any longer. My director is great about forwarding any news from the cluster to me but I have no real friends within the cluster. I feel like I have to prove myself before I will belong. I did send my director an email with my intentions but have not heard anything back yet. Alot of how I am feeling is the quilt because I have not done much and it seems everyone else is setting the world on fire. Oh well,, regardless if I am doing this alone, I am going to conference. That is why I love this group. It makes you feel like you are not alone and everyone is always so helpful. Thank you to everyone in this group.

I feel like I am the outcast at my cluster. I have not done anything for quite awhile and do not feel like I belong there any longer. My director is great about forwarding any news from the cluster to me but I have no real friends within the cluster. I feel like I have to prove myself before I will belong. I did send my director an email with my intentions but have not heard anything back yet. Alot of how I am feeling is the quilt because I have not done much and it seems everyone else is setting the world on fire. Oh well,, regardless if I am doing this alone, I am going to conference. That is why I love this group. It makes you feel like you are not alone and everyone is always so helpful. Thank you to everyone in this group.

I wouldn't put some much negativity on yourself! So many of us are in this business for different things! I'm just glad to hear you are going to conference. Maybe start your own thread offering room in your car for others who live in the area or on your way!

Great advice! You should start that thread! My Director always says it isn't for "us" to judge because everyone is in this business for different reasons-that is the great thing about this business isn't it?! Also, we never know what is going on in someone else's life!
We look forward to seeing you at conference and I hope you are able to find others whom would love to ride with you! Believe it or not, they may very well be in your cluster or someone else whom live's nearby.

Deb.

Hi Deb-

What part of PA are you in? I am new to Pampered Chef and am looking forward to going to my first conference! I was planning to fly since my husband is not coming with, but I don't mind driving - I've driven from Philly to NC and Florida several times. I have a 2006 Buick Rendevous -its roomy and not bad on gas either.

PM me or email me at [email protected]. Maybe we can work something out!

Barb

Ladies...before you commit to renting a car from anywhere...make sure you check with your own insurance companies so that you might not have to pay extra's with the rental company. just a thought.

1. Can I bring my kitchen knives in my carry-on luggage?

No, according to TSA regulations, all sharp objects, including kitchen knives, must be packed in checked luggage.

2. Are there any restrictions on liquids in my carry-on luggage?

Yes, all liquids must be in containers that are 3.4 ounces or less, and they must all fit in a single quart-sized plastic bag. Any liquids over this limit must be packed in checked luggage.

3. Can I bring my kitchen appliances in my carry-on luggage?

Small kitchen appliances, such as blenders or food processors, are allowed in carry-on luggage. However, larger appliances such as electric skillets or slow cookers must be packed in checked luggage.

4. Is there a weight limit for carry-on luggage?

Yes, most airlines have a weight limit for carry-on luggage, typically around 20-25 pounds. However, this can vary by airline, so it's best to check with your specific airline before traveling.

5. Are there any items that are not allowed in either checked or carry-on luggage?

Yes, there are certain items that are not allowed in either type of luggage, such as explosives, flammable items, and certain types of weapons. It's important to check TSA's list of prohibited items before packing to ensure you are not bringing anything that is not allowed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• lesliec
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pcgogetter
  • GinaG623