• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Change to Nutty Caramel Brownies

In summary, some people recommend using peanut butter cups, kisses, or pretzels as substitutes for the rolos. Others suggest using different kinds of chips depending on individual preferences.
pcheftina
:confused: Does anyone know why I shouldn't be able to switch out the rolos for peanut butter cups? My host likes peanut butter brownies, but not caramel?? Has anyone tried it with another kind of candy??:confused:

There's been a lot of discussion here about that. Peanut butter cups will work, as will kisses... caramel or almond have been discussed.If anyone's allergic to nuts, pretzels work as well.

and having made them twice now, I have decided that I am going to dump the chopping the chocolate portion and just use mini choc. chips. We get to show the food chopper anyway when chopping the nuts, and the chips really don't chop that easily. (the bride who was cooking with me on Sunday even commented "oh this is hard!").

How about Junior Mints??
Deb Z.

straitfan said:
and having made them twice now, I have decided that I am going to dump the chopping the chocolate portion and just use mini choc. chips. We get to show the food chopper anyway when chopping the nuts, and the chips really don't chop that easily. (the bride who was cooking with me on Sunday even commented "oh this is hard!").

...I think you read my mind! That is exactly what I was thinking.....or even to just leave the chips whole! It is wayyy too much chopping! (esp when I doubled the recipe for a large group....ugh!)

Our group has decided the mini chocolate chips are the way to go! I love my food chopper but not especially for doing the chips....save your energy!!
You can do so many things with these brownies...they are yummy, anyway you make 'em!

When I went to conference - at the Test Kitchens workshop, the guy did say that you could use the mini peanut butter cups if you prefer. So go for it!

thanks for the responses everyone!!I'm going to try the PB Cups!!

straitfan said:

Its embarrassingly difficult to do!

STOP!!!!!!!!!

Those darn things are already too good "as is" :love: - no more ideas about how to make them even more deadly to my diet!! Or I'll be rolling into my next party....oy!

MMMMMMM.....such good suggestions for different variations!! I took half the pan to a church dinner on Sunday and just finished off the rest of the pan!! Now I need to go get more ingredients to try the variations :love:

So glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking that chopping the choc chips was hard. Mini chips would be great. As I was whacking the food chopper trying to get the chips chopped up I kept thinking how I didn't want to do that at a show :yuck: Kinda of hard to talk about the padded handle when you are rubbing your hand after using it!! :eek:

Peanut butter....mint...I love being able to give my guests a few different options in case they don't like a certain ingredient!

I used the Betty Crocker Triple Chunk brownie mix instead of chopping the chips. BUT.....I just found this on the Betty Crocker website; think I will try it next time.

:balloon: "With thick Hershey's® fudge and melt away mini chips, these are Betty's most indulgent brownies yet! Try New Ultimate Fudge Supreme Brownies!":balloon:

Glad that I'm not the only idiot that can't figure out how to make the chip chopping easier! Like I said, that's one step I'm eliminating next time, and since they are SO GOOD, there will be a next time! :)

I'm trying them tonight for dessert but I omitted the brown sugar in the batter part but kept it with the nuts on top mixture will see how everyone likes them? And used smuckers choc. syrup instead of melting the c. chips ( just easier).

straitfan said:
Glad that I'm not the only idiot that can't figure out how to make the chip chopping easier! Like I said, that's one step I'm eliminating next time, and since they are SO GOOD, there will be a next time! :)

are you kidding me, i'm glad you're not alone. i was thinking i needed a new chopper cause it was so hard, i thought my blades were getting dull. i feel so much better now. i'm not chopping anymore either. we should protest! lol

i did them with white choclate chips and skor pieces

I used the hershey kisses with caramel, because I think hersheys chocolate is so much creamier and it looked cute with the tips sticking out of the brownies. It was SOOOOO good, I liked it better than with the rolos!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!

heat123 said:
I'm trying them tonight for dessert but I omitted the brown sugar in the batter part but kept it with the nuts on top mixture will see how everyone likes them? And used smuckers choc. syrup instead of melting the c. chips ( just easier).

BTW- test kitchens said the brown sugar in the batter is supposed to produce a more "chewy" consistancy, in case you wondered just why in the world it would be added!

pckelly said:
I used the hershey kisses with caramel, because I think hersheys chocolate is so much creamier and it looked cute with the tips sticking out of the brownies. It was SOOOOO good, I liked it better than with the rolos!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!
Mmmmmm....this is EXACTLY why I bought a bag of the caramel filled kisses the last time I went out! I want to re-test the recipe with them...I think Hershey's chocolate is way better than the rolo chocolate!

pckrissy said:
Our group has decided the mini chocolate chips are the way to go! I love my food chopper but not especially for doing the chips....save your energy!!
You can do so many things with these brownies...they are yummy, anyway you make 'em!
I used regular choc chips and didn't chop them at all before tossing into the brownie mix. I thought they turned out just fine! It was very difficult to chop those chips - who knew chocolate would be so hard to chop?! :confused:

I think it's the shape of the chips that makes it so hard to chop. I've used chunks and bars without any problem, but the chips are a pain.

I use the regular chips and I don't even think about chopping them. I just add them as is to the batter - YUM!

I agree with the chopping of the chips. I'm going to use my cheese grater next time just to show another product.

And, for those of you who think Hershey's chocolate is better than Rolo chocolate. Rolo's are made by Hershey! I think the kisses with caramel just have more chocolate than the rolos.

I loved them with the peanut butter cups!

Gotta share! We changed these up for my son to enter in the Jr. Division at the state fair which starts tomorrow. We used the Baker's Chocolate one bowl brownie recipe for the base since mixes are a no-no. We used just peanuts and then put PB cups in. We used the food chopper to chop up 4 reg. size cups for the top. Tried one cold (as that is how they'll be judged) and they are so YUMMY! I'll let you all know if they are "award winning". (It would make my 8 yr. old's day!!!!) And mom learned that he knows how to crack an egg one handed?!?! (He said he saw it on TV!!) I can't do that!! :)

That is SO cool! Hope he wins!!!

choc chips are hard to chopWhat about microplaining them? I'll have to try that when I test the recipe.:thumbup:

Glad to know I am not the only one with a problem chopping the chips. I did this at my last show ( I didn't try it at home first!) and had a very hard time. I thought my chopper needed replaced!!! Next time I will just put the chips in not chopped at all.

heatherkiss said:
What about microplaining them? I'll have to try that when I test the recipe.:thumbup:

Eh, not sure if it'd be worth it! It calls for an entire almost a whole bag to be chopped. Not worth the time/effort!

We used the mini chips in our adaptation last night and they are perfect. I didn't even buy the regular ones, the leftovers from the bag are just the ones you melt for the drizzle. so my NEW recipe calls for only the mini chips and NO CHOPPING!

smspamperedchef said:
That is SO cool! Hope he wins!!!

Judging is today, so we should know by tomorrow!
I took the leftovers to the teacher's lounge and they were inhaled!

I wonder if the chips would be easier to chop if they went into the fridge for 5-10 minutes...When I did it it seemed the chips sorta got stuck, etc...my hand was hurting!!
Soooo glad to hear that even regular chips don't need to be chopped for this...right??...
I was considering chopping them before the guest arrived..

I definitely want to try it with Reese's PB cups!! MY FAV!!!

Seriously, I've made them a few times... no more chopping the chips for me! I will buy mini if I am running to store, but if I only have regular on hand, thats what it is getting. You will chop enough nuts to show off the food chopper.... and to use the deluxe cheese grater, heck noooo! not for that many chips! (or the microplane adjustable grater if you ask me!)

:thumbup: I can agree use the mini chips. Why chop when you don't have to?:angel:

I used rice krispies instead of nuts for my host who was allergic to nuts. Because they're on top, they stay crunchy and still 'show' as good as nuts.

I didn't use my chopper at all for this recipe. Instead, I made a quick olive tapenade while the brownies were baking, which showed it off nicely.

1. Can I substitute the rolos in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe with peanut butter cups?

Yes, you can definitely switch out the rolos for peanut butter cups in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe. However, keep in mind that the peanut butter cups may melt and spread more during baking, resulting in a slightly different texture and appearance.

2. Is there a specific reason why I shouldn't use peanut butter cups instead of rolos?

No, there is no specific reason why you shouldn't use peanut butter cups in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe. It is simply a matter of personal preference and how you want your brownies to turn out.

3. My host prefers peanut butter brownies, but not caramel. Can I still use the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe?

Yes, you can still use the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe and simply omit the caramel. The brownies will still be delicious and have a rich peanut butter flavor.

4. Has anyone tried using a different type of candy in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe?

Yes, some people have tried using different types of candy such as Snickers or Kit Kats in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe. It can add a fun twist to the brownies, but keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary.

5. Can I use a combination of rolos and peanut butter cups in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe?

Yes, you can definitely use a combination of rolos and peanut butter cups in the Nutty Caramel Brownies recipe. This will give you the best of both worlds with a delicious combination of chocolate, caramel, and peanut butter flavors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
lindsaym
  • Leslie0831
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefmeg