• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Change Management: How HO Handled This Situation

In summary, the conversation revolves around the handling of changes by the company HO. There is a disagreement about the decision to not offer certain products from Nancy's and how it was communicated through email. Some believe that it should have been discussed with upper management and rolled out in a face-to-face meeting, while others argue that directors have a better understanding of how the changes will affect their team. There is also a discussion about the number of directors and NEDs and the possibility of a leak within the company. Overall, there is a consensus that change could have been handled better and HO should work on improving their communication in the future.
nikkijo
Coming from a HR major and someone in Change Management class here is my two cents on how HO handled this situation. I decided to add this because I saw that HO didn't want all of the emails, but IMHO they deserve all of them because of how this was handled.

I understand that most people do not like change, we are a creature of habit. We especially do not like change if something we like is taken away from us (whether it is a privilege, bonus, power, vendor we like or anything we hold of value).

I also understand that other DS companies are PC's competition for consultants. If some one wants to be a SAHM or chose their hours, DS is the perfect place for them. PC needs to stay competitive with them for bonus's, start up kit, commission, everything. I know of some other DS companies that only have one authorized vendor. (I'm not saying one vendor is right)

Knowing that many consultants like Nancy's and that we value this so we do not want to see it go away, I am not happy with the way HO has carried this out. If they know that this change is going to cause many consultants to be upset, why do they not roll this out at the monthly directors meeting? See how it goes over with them. (of course they would not be able to tell their team about this) If PC were to get the directors and above on board with whatever the change may be, then the directors can get their down line on board as well. I think that this would be a better way to roll out a HUGE change like this than via email that leaves everybody wondering "why are they doing this? I love Nancys!" I just feel that if we were told face to face in a meeting with some explanation we would be able to get our frustration out and then move on. Being told via email does not allow this to happen.

Hopefully in the future HO will handle change better.

Nikki - I agree completely with what you are saying. However, it may have been discussed with the Executive Directors and above. I haven't asked my director (NED) about it and am not sure if I will have the time to do so. Just a thought...

From what I know of NED they usually have assistants. If I had an assistant one thing that I would delegate is hostess coaching or items you would use Nancy's for. By talking to directors and advanced directors they have more of a "feel" for how the change will affect consultants. If Nancys does a good portion of business (which it sounds like it does) and they offer items that are not otherwise available, why take it away?

I think that directors have more of a feel for how many of their down line use these products than an NED would. Now nothing against NED they have earned that title, I just don't think that they work as closely with all of their down line. After all who could when they have so many???

Well, it depends. Mine lives in my city and I see her 2-3 times a month. She doesn't have an assistant and I'm not sure how much of Nancy's products she uses. I just know that she has a monthly Exec conference call and many of the changes are discussed there before they happen.As for directors knowing what their downline uses, do you? I don't mean that to be snotty (I'm having an "emotional" day), but I don't know what my downline uses unless I give it to them.On another note, how many directors are there? I know there were over 200 new ones that walked at Leadership. How would HO be able to talk to all of us and be sure that there wasn't a leak. After all, I'm sure it was discussed before they told Nancy. And we wouldn't want her to have found out through the grapevine, would we?I'm not saying that what they did was right...I'm sure it will be discussed a bit on my director call today.

Kate that is my whole point. Their are more directors than NED so they would have more of a "feel" for how changes will go over and they have a better chance of smoothing everything over than an email does.

My senior director stays in pretty good contact with her team, I think that she has an idea of what her team uses. Yes she may not know what everyone uses but she probably has a general idea because we all share ideas.

Of course Nancy would have to be one of the first ones to know. As for the directors not sharing any information until they are suppsed to? Trust. Companies use this all of the time.

I talked to my director yesterday about it and I know she was disappointed. She has been using her postcards for years for congratulations and attaches our pins and everything to them. I know she uses Merrill too for birthday cards and such but I have gotten lots of Nancy cards from her.

I don't think every director would have to be involved in such discussions. I personally would like to see more consultants and directors from around the country involved in this kind of decision making - at least to give input. I know they already do some of that but I believe it is mostly upper level directors and they have a different prospective than newer directors and consultants.

I agree completely Beth. Like you said to at least give input before a final decision is made. Even if it is made where it could still be changed or modified before it is fully rolled out.

nikkijo said:
If they know that this change is going to cause many consultants to be upset, why do they not roll this out at the monthly directors meeting? See how it goes over with them. (of course they would not be able to tell their team about this) If PC were to get the directors and above on board with whatever the change may be, then the directors can get their down line on board as well. I think that this would be a better way to roll out a HUGE change like this than via email that leaves everybody wondering "why are they doing this? I love Nancys!" I just feel that if we were told face to face in a meeting with some explanation we would be able to get our frustration out and then move on. Being told via email does not allow this to happen.

Hopefully in the future HO will handle change better.

What monthly directors meeting are you talking about? There is no HO led monthly directors meeting. Trying to get that word out to the directors for their opinion without it leaking would be nearly impossible.

My thoughts....PC hasn't gotten to where it's at by allowing major decisions to be made by the field. Yes, they listen to our feedback but at the end of the day, they have to look at the big picture and make wise business decisions for the good of the company and for our future. We tend to allow our hearts to rule our decisions but they have to make decisions to protect our future business. (I am in NO WAY saying that Nancy's was hurting our business. I LOVE Nancy!!)

Have you ever heard the saying, "The older I get, the smarter my parents become"? That comes to mind now. When I was a teenager my parents wouldn't let me do certain things and it did NOT make sense...now as the parent of a teenager...it all makes perfect sense! Right now we cannot even imagine why they (HO) would make this decision but I believe that one day it will be clear as to why they have made this unpopular decision.

Last edited:
GeorgiaPeach said:
Have you ever heard the saying, "The older I get, the smarter my parents become"? That comes to mind now. When I was a teenager my parents wouldn't let me do certain things and it did NOT make sense...now as the parent of a teenager...it all makes perfect sense! Right now we cannot even imagine why they (HO) would make this decision but I believe that one day it will be clear as to why they have made this unpopular decision.

I guess I'm not that trusting.....I've been hurt before by a big co. that I totally trusted (and worked for), only to have the leadership change, and decisions made that weren't necessarily better for the people who worked for the company. Better for the company? - probably, but better for the employees? No!

GeorgiaPeach said:
My thoughts....PC hasn't gotten to where it's at by allowing major decisions to be made by the field. .

True, my cards say, "Independent Consultant for the Pampered Chef", not Consultant employed by the Pampered Chef. I get a Commission check not a paycheck, when I get a paycheck, then I can make decisions.

(Don't jump down my throat here...pretend like you are seeing Ann and KG's disclaimers below...just clarifying that there are MANY of us and too many for us each individually to have input, all the facts, and make the decision.

I agree with your last post, GeorgiaPeach.

There is no HO led Director's meeting monthly or otherwise.

I love Nancy, her products and how her business took off when PC asked her to develop products for them. I am planning on giving her a BIG order on the things I use.

As far as discussing PC's decision with director's and not have them tell their team members...secrets are not kept well and we all share so much here.
I found out what the July special was on here before the monthly KC news was on line for directors!

I do not know what my consultants use for stickers, etc. One former consultant started making her own postcards that were similar to Nancy's. I only found out about that because of a problem host that I took over for her.

I have been in a management position for several years and have dealt with Human Resource issues of all kinds. I listen to employee's input and have them involved in renovation projects that affect their work place, but the final say is mine after every aspect is considered. And after I make my decision...someone else above me has the real final say.

PC encourages our input and involvement but they have the final say as to what direction is to be taken. There are several committees at PC and consultants at all levels are asked to sit on these committess for input at all levels of the business. Is PC perfect? No more than we are. But they have privy to so much more information and trends than we can imagine. Did they handle it the way we would? Not sure...since that information is not shared with us.

This came as a shock to all of us. PC will listen to constructive input but it seems as if there is an attack mode going on. The best arguement I have heard yet is the affordability of Nancy's products to especially those starting their business.

In my upline the directors have a monthly meeting...I thought all directors had this. Sorry.

I did not mean to imply that PC should let consultants make the decisions. I am sorry if I did this. I just ment that in a business if you get management support (directors) in a change it will help the change go more smoothly. Managers can then talk to their downline and address any concerns and let the downline vent as well and then everyone can move on to a more positive outlook.

Sometimes upper level mgt does not realize the impact that a change can make and modifications are needed. Sometimes these modifications can be realized and made before the whole plan is rolled out and cause less frustration all around.

GeorgiaPeach said:
My thoughts....PC hasn't gotten to where it's at by allowing major decisions to be made by the field. Yes, they listen to our feedback but at the end of the day, they have to look at the big picture and make wise business decisions for the good of the company and for our future.

I think the point she's trying to make is, why don't they do a little "homework" before making such a major change, instead of dealing with the aftermath. At least we would have known in advance what the possible outcome would have been, instead of being smacked in the face.

They have their snoops out there, they could have gotten a feel for it BEFORE they made such a drastic desicion.

nikkijo said:
Sometimes upper level mgt does not realize the impact that a change can make and modifications are needed. Sometimes these modifications can be realized and made before the whole plan is rolled out and cause less frustration all around.

Agreed! I let my one site manager know today that her input in our renovation is so important. I can sit there and dream up "improvements" all day long, but she works in and with the facility every day!

As I read through different threads here, I see so many different sides to how people like or dislike a vendor. It is hard to understand why PC is not allowing Nancy to be a PC vendor. Hopefully we will know in the future but more importantly, hopefully it will make sense.

hoosierchef said:
I think the point she's trying to make is, why don't they do a little "homework" before making such a major change, instead of dealing with the aftermath. At least we would have known in advance what the possible outcome would have been, instead of being smacked in the face.

They have their snoops out there, they could have gotten a feel for it BEFORE they made such a drastic desicion.

I'll play devil's advocate here....but who's to say they didn't do their homework? A company the size of PC has to do their homework to survive. Maybe I'm just being naive but I believe that they looked at this from all sides before making a final decision and made the decision even though it was a hard one.

I think that when this was announced to the home office staff they probably all groaned and had to brace themselves because they KNOW how passionate we can be and knew that they would be bombarded with calls and emails.

As far as them giving us a heads up so we didn't feel blindsided.....what if they would have told us there was a possibility they would drop Nancy and everyone got upset then they decided not to? Either way....we would have gotten all upset. I think we would have been MORE upset doing it that way because they had upset us unnecessarily. See what I mean?

They are in a "darned if they do, darned if they don't" kind of situation.

What is change management and what is its purpose?

Change management is the process of planning, implementing, and monitoring changes within an organization in order to ensure smooth transitions and achieve desired outcomes. Its purpose is to help individuals and teams successfully adapt to new processes, technologies, or organizational structures.

How did HO handle the situation of change management?

HO, or the higher-level management team, implemented a structured change management plan that included clear communication, training, and involvement of employees. They also addressed any concerns or resistance from employees and provided support throughout the process.

What are the benefits of effective change management?

Effective change management can lead to improved employee morale, increased productivity, and successful implementation of changes. It can also help reduce resistance and minimize disruptions to business operations.

What are some common challenges in change management?

Some common challenges in change management include resistance from employees, lack of communication and transparency, and inadequate support from leadership. Other challenges may include poor planning, unrealistic timelines, and a lack of resources.

How can employees prepare for changes in the workplace?

Employees can prepare for changes in the workplace by staying informed and asking questions, actively participating in training and communication sessions, and being open to new ideas and processes. It can also be helpful to seek support from colleagues and management during the transition.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • cookn' katie
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBevShu
  • evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies