• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Career Sales: What Counts and What Doesn't?

In summary, the host's friend wanted to purchase a 7 pc cookware set at half-price, but it turns out it doesn't count towards commissionable sales. The consultant asks what counts towards career sales and is told that only host sales, internet orders, and orders that are not free or half-priced count. The consultant is disappointed but is reminded that the host benefits inspire more sales. The consultant also discovers that being honest and not pushing for higher priced items can lead to repeat business and bookings. Another consultant shares a similar experience and agrees that integrity is important in their business.
iteachncook
I had a show last night and the host wanted to get the 7 pc cookware set for her half-price item. I got so excited because I thought it would count towards my commissionable sales! I guess I didn't read the fine print. My question is what exactly counts towards career sales?

Guest sales, internet orders, hosts order that is not free or half priced from what i understand. Hope this helps.:)

Everything except for the hostess items that they get for free, half-price, or 60% off. If you have a past host that gets a 60% off item at a show that was booked from her it does not count either.

Thank you! So much for my excitement in them getting a big ticket item!

iteachncook said:
Thank you! So much for my excitement in them getting a big ticket item!

Think of it this way: We don't have to pay anything for the host benefits but those benefits inspire our hosts to ask their friends to order which increases our sales. Be excited when someone wants a high ticket item.

Last night's host has a friend who wanted the knife block set and SHE told her to book in September to get it at 60% off. My host is signing and this will be one of her first shows. The friend was willing to pay full price but the host wanted to help her get a better deal. WOO HOO!!

AND, a happy host not only means positive comments to her friends/family ... it means repeat business! :DEven though you don't make a commission on the cookware that she bought, you are laying the pavement for a successful road ahead. ;)

BethCooks4U said:
Think of it this way: We don't have to pay anything for the host benefits but those benefits inspire our hosts to ask their friends to order which increases our sales. Be excited when someone wants a high ticket item.

Last night's host has a friend who wanted the knife block set and SHE told her to book in September to get it at 60% off. My host is signing and this will be one of her first shows. The friend was willing to pay full price but the host wanted to help her get a better deal. WOO HOO!!
I guess you are right. I have to change my mindset on that and will look at it more positively.

There is also another benefit I found quite by accident! Before her party, she told me she wanted cookware. When I had this host ask me if I thought she should get the Executive or Stainless cookware, and that her husband said I was going to say stainless because it is more expensive! I chuckled and thought for a moment then I said, "He really said that?". She said "yes". I said, "I can give you my honest feelings as I do NOT get commission on anything you order unless you go over the free product total." She looked at me like I had two heads and said, "Then you can really tell my which set I should get and I do not have to worry about you being pushy towards the higher priced set?" I said, "Nope! No worries." We then talked about the qualities of each, how she cooks and settled on the Executive set with an other half priced item of the 10" Stainless Saute Pan. She told her friends about this and I had others book from her because they figured if I would tell her that, I would be honest about the rest of my business. And I got that from the first host that booked from her!

I booked a show today b/c the hostess wants the knife block set at 60%. Thits girl has been to a few shows and has another DS business. She is nice, but has had a $30 limit at every show she has been to. She probably wouldn't have hosted unless she had an opportunity to get the knives for so little. Will I get comission on those knives, no, but I got a booking.

I've had that same thing happen, John. It boosts our perceived integrity.

You know it is very true. Integrity is a key for us. I know this because when I hosted two other DS parties, I was very much pushed to buy EVERYTHING I wanted. I thought at the time it was because the consultant got commission on my order as well. I was right. One told me the truth and told me yes, they do. The other skirted around the issue so I assumed that yes, they did as well. To be blunt, I could not trust the latter consultant and never had a party for that one who would not tell me, even though 6 months after my first party, I needed more stuff. I have had people ask me my opinions of some of our products and I will tell them something to the gist of, "Well, personally I do not have a use for that product. But you might find that it is a perfect fit for you. And you do know that we have a great return policy for a full year that allows you to try and decide." To me that is the truth. Not all products we sell are for everyone. I will not lie about my opinion but I also will not deter anyone from giving a product a shot. And it is true! Good example, I had a lady who saw the new can opener. She asked if she should get the old one now or wait and get the new one later. I told her this, The new one is more plastic and I personally have a problem with that. However, if you look at it, it does have a better grip so it may work better for you. It is also a different type of head so this one will be easier to place on the can and fit to it. I gave her both sides. She decided that she will order the new one as it will probably work better in her hands. She has problems with arthritis. But I gave her the options, and I honestly gave her my opinion. She booked a catalog party for after September 1. I am in the process of closing out a party I had on the 30th. I was honest with the host. I told her what I wanted it closed by the 31st. She is sitting at almost $1000. We arranged to turn in half of that so I could get the Glassware tote. She had no problem with that and was so happy I told her ahead because I did NOT try to get her to close the next day without warning. But we both got what we wanted because I told her the truth up front. It works. Never lie! If they ask, tell them your "truth" and give them the options. Let them make the decisions based on their "truth". If we are having problems with products, like what we have seen with the new Cool & Serve Tray, tell them if they ask about problems. Let them decide. I still sold three out of 9 ladies! Once they understood the warranty we carry, they had not a problem ordering it. I also had a host in July that ordered the stainless cookware sets. I told her about the October Host special. She did not order everything she wanted, and yes it would have meant a commission for me but with a loss of 25% net, because I told her a truth I did not have to reveal to her until after she closed her party. Reason, she wants two more pieces and she booked an October catty party. I want her to do another party. Her catalog parties are always good for sales. I win, she wins because of a revealed truth. I won't make as much with the catty party but I have her trust and this is a lady whose sister I worked with at UMC. She did not have ot come back to me as a consultant. But she told me she came back to me, because on her first party, I was very open and she said she liked my honesty! I for the life of me can not remember what caused that but hey, if that's the reason that she came to me 8 months after I no longer worked with her sister, I can handle that.
As far a commissions go, remember to treat the host way differently than a guest. A guest will get you sales and commissions. They are just as important to your business but your hosts get you something better than a sale. They get you free advertising, and more parties. To me, that is a whole heck of a lot better than a commission.

Last edited:
I'm with you, John. As for the can openers, I've decided to take both to my August shows along with a couple of empty cans. That way people can try out both can openers. The key will be to find cans on which the tops and bottoms are the same.

1. What counts as a sale in my career with Pampered Chef?

Any product that is purchased directly from you as a consultant counts as a sale. This includes both in-person and online orders. However, sales from your own personal purchases or from purchases made by other consultants do not count towards your career sales.

2. Do hostess rewards count towards my career sales?

Yes, hostess rewards count towards your career sales. This includes both the free and discounted products that a hostess earns from hosting a party. However, hostess rewards from your own parties or parties hosted by other consultants do not count towards your career sales.

3. Can I count sales from fundraisers towards my career sales?

No, sales from fundraisers do not count towards your career sales. Fundraisers are considered separate from your personal sales and do not contribute to your career sales total.

4. What about sales from vendor events or fairs?

Yes, sales from vendor events or fairs count towards your career sales. These events are a great way to reach new customers and boost your sales. However, make sure to keep track of these sales separately from your personal sales to accurately report your career sales.

5. Do sales from my personal website count towards my career sales?

Yes, sales from your personal website count towards your career sales. Any orders placed through your personal website will be included in your career sales total. However, make sure to keep track of these sales separately from your in-person sales to accurately report your career sales.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• IAmChefJ
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • JAE
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
JAE
  • vanscootin