• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Your Boss Control Your Side Hustle?

In summary, the bookkeeper was trying to get approval from her boss to sell pampered chef, and the employee couldn't believe it. The employee has never heard of this happening before, and their former full time job wasn't anything like pampered chef.
Chef Ritz
I was at my full time today and the bookkeeper came up to me with a paper that I needed to sign and get approval from my area director. The paper was for my boss to give me approval to sell pampered chef:eek: . I couldn't believe this, she can actually make the decission if I could continue doing pampered chef and working my full time. I know if she doesn't approve I could leave my full time, but jobs aren't that great here.

Have any of you had to do this with your full time job?

I haven't had this issue with Pampered Chef. But my employer has a clause in their standard employment agreement that we can be terminated for having another computer-related job, including freelancing, after hours.

I'd check with your Human Resources department to find out the official company policy on second jobs/home businesses.

Chef Ritz said:
I was at my full time today and the bookkeeper came up to me with a paper that I needed to sign and get approval from my area director. The paper was for my boss to give me approval to sell pampered chef:eek: . I couldn't believe this, she can actually make the decission if I could continue doing pampered chef and working my full time. I know if she doesn't approve I could leave my full time, but jobs aren't that great here.

Have any of you had to do this with your full time job?

Really?? Wow, I can't believe that. Is your full time anything like PC?

Yes, one of my recruits had to go through the same thing.

That is odd. Your area Director is not your boss. We are self employed. I do not control any of my downlines decisions.

On our application it even asks about may we contact you at work. I believe that is mainly for HO, not your upline.

I would ask your upline why she felt it was necessary to intrude like this This could really hurt your quarterly/yearly reviews if your boss thinks you are doing too much PC and not enough company work.

Remember that you work for yourself and not her.

I really can't believe that she thought this was a good idea.

Was it your PC area Director or your company's area director?

It is my company area director, my boss, that will determine if I get to do PC. My full time isn't anything like PC, I am a secretary for a organization the serves people with disabilities.

My former full time employer (I am now a stay at home mom and a PC consultant) also had a clause about having a second job. But I think it was okay, as long as it didn't interfere with your current position, etc.

I work FT for an area City and I had to sign a request to sell Pampered Chef. It is pretty much a formality just to make sure there is no conflict.:)

So, I guess it is similar to PC saying directors can only sell for one company.

It doesn't sound like it is a conflict of interest. My brother has CP and mild mental retardation. I know some of the services offered our 24-7, but as a secretary that doesn't seem like it would make a difference if you sell or not.

I agree with the earlier response and check with HR. It just doesn't seem right that they can control what you do in your spare time.

I understand that is a formality, but if something would come up they could take my vacation away so I wouldn't be able to attend conference, I don't believe this will happen, but it is the point that they do that to people.

Uh.... I would defiantly get to the bottom of this.... something doesn't' sound right at all about it..I have never hear of that before.

I don't think it is all that uncommon. My dh would have to do that. And I had to report my activities with TPC to a division of the government.

Big brother IS watching ... ;)

Used to work for an accounting firm that had a "no second job" policy. Mainly directed for the accountants, but even though I was an office manager, I had to abide by the policy as well. I was doing some freelance work doing web design and had to quit because they strictly enforced this rule. I know, it sucks, but it is something an employer can do... provided it is an actual policy in your employee handbook. I'd check that out to make sure.
The hospital system I work for now allows you to have a second job, provided it in no way interfers with what they hired you to do.

So long as your PC business and your job to not conflict and you aren't taking advantage of your FT job to support your PC biz I don't see how it can be any of their business what you do on your own time. If they are going to dictate how you run your life I think I'd look for another job.

I did have a job (actually internship where I was not paid) that had the requirement that any other jobs must be stated and approved by the director. It was to cut down on conflicts of interest and scheduling conflicts. My husband's current job prohibits him from doing any external work that could have any legal context or potential to go to court, which basically cuts him off from doing what he can do in the private sector (he works for the federal govt in forensics). But, he knew it when he took the job and agreed to those terms. I would say, if this is a new policy sit down with HR and determine how it applies to you. If you have a good relationship with your director, ask him or her how this policy will play out. If you are concerned your director will use it to single you out,then talk with HR about it instead.

This really isn't too uncommon. One of my sister consultants had to do the same thing. If it was in the HR handbook when you took the job or before you decided to become a consultant, then you'll probalby have to follow it. It shouldn't be too big of a deal, unless you're selling at work & they don't like that.

I had a job like that... actually my job is like that now, but no one has made a big deal about me selling PC.

I had to sign a paper with my employer to sell PC.

I still can't get my head around this.....maybe it's a US thing cause here in Canada I couldn't tell my employees that they can't have another job.

I can state that I will not schedule around another job and I ask that all my employee respect their job with me and don't work with another restaurant like mine. There are so many people out there in this world who work many jobs just to make ends meet. I have to say what u do in your spare time is none of your employers business. JMTC:rolleyes:

Related to Can Your Boss Control Your Side Hustle?

1. What exactly is "Has This Ever Happened to You?"

"Has This Ever Happened to You?" is a series of cooking and kitchen-related products offered by Pampered Chef. These products are designed to make cooking and meal preparation easier and more efficient.

2. How do I know if a product is part of the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection?

All products in the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection are labeled with the signature logo and phrase. You can also check our website or catalog to see all the products included in this collection.

3. Can I purchase individual products from the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection?

Yes, each product in the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection can be purchased separately. However, some products are designed to work together for maximum efficiency, so we recommend using them as a set.

4. Are there any special discounts or promotions for the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection?

We often have special promotions and discounts for the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection. Be sure to check our website or contact your local Pampered Chef consultant for more information.

5. Can I return a product from the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection if I am not satisfied?

Yes, all Pampered Chef products, including those from the "Has This Ever Happened to You?" collection, come with a satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it within 30 days for a full refund or exchange.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefjenibel
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
luvs2sellit
  • Poll
  • AJPratt
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefa