• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Double the Smashed Potato Soup Recipe in the DCB? Expert Tips Inside!

In summary, the recipe for the Smashed Potato Soup can be doubled in the DCB, but it will take longer to make. The garlic parmesan biscuit bites or beer bread can be served to go with it. The soup only serves 5, so make sure you have enough.
elizabethfox
Gold Member
Does anyone know if you can double the soup recipe for the Smashed Potato Soup when making it in the DCB, or is it too much for the DBC to hold??:confused:
Please tell me it will work!! :cry:
I have a hostess who is having like 10 people at her show and we are going to need more than just one batch. I don't have ANY PC pans except for my saute pan that came with my kit, so I am having to use the DCB for the soup. Plus since the stoneware is on sale, I thought it would be a great way to maybe get some more stoneware sales for this month. But now she wants to double the recipe and I don't know if it will fit in the DCB!!:eek:
HELP!!!
Anyone done a double batch in the DCB before??

The point of the recipe isn't really to feed the guests, just to give them a taste. Why not make the garlic bites in the saute pan to go with the soup? Or your host can have other snacks there if she feels like it's not enough. 10 people isn't really that many. I'm not for sure how much the soup serves but it will probably be enough.

A double batch will fit in the DCB- it will just take longer to make. I use small dessert bowls when I serve the Smashed Potato Soup. ChefAnn uses small cups - even small coffee/tea cups (not mugs) would work for a smaller amount.

I make the garlic parmesan biscuit bites, or beer bread to have with it. I have found that especially with my evening shows, people really aren't wanting to eat a full meal anyway.

wadesgirl said:
The point of the recipe isn't really to feed the guests, just to give them a taste. Why not make the garlic bites in the saute pan to go with the soup? Or your host can have other snacks there if she feels like it's not enough. 10 people isn't really that many. I'm not for sure how much the soup serves but it will probably be enough.

The recipe only makes about 5 servings. We are having beer bread to go with it, and the hostess is going to have a few other items. But we both want to make sure there is enough soup for them all to have a decent amount to try, since a lot of these ladies are coming right from work and have had NO dinner. :)

And I personally think 10 people is a decent size for a show, but she said she might be having more, up to 15 people. So I need to make sure there is enough soup to go around in case there are more people than I expected. Plus the hostess requested that I make more, and she has already purchase the extra ingredients. i just need to know if I need to try an borrow a pot from someone if it is not going to work in the DCB.

I usually tell the host that a soup show is a chance to get out all those mis-matched souvenir/gift coffee mugs they have. :) My last soup show, I took paper cups that were about 8 oz. each, and it worked perfectly. If you're worried about having enough food, take beer bread or make garlic bites.For 10 people, the single recipe of the soup should be plenty for samples.If you find that many of your guests are expecting a full meal, then that's something you need to address in your host coaching, or even setting the time for the show. I do my evening shows at 7:00 and don't usually have a problem with people expecting a meal. But the couple of shows I've done at 6:30, people expected dinner. Amazing what a difference 30 minutes makes.

ChefBeckyD said:
A double batch will fit in the DCB- it will just take longer to make. I use small dessert bowls when I serve the Smashed Potato Soup. ChefAnn uses small cups - even small coffee/tea cups (not mugs) would work for a smaller amount.

I make the garlic parmesan biscuit bites, or beer bread to have with it. I have found that especially with my evening shows, people really aren't wanting to eat a full meal anyway.

Do you know how much longer the double batch takes to cook?

I know usually people are not wanting a full meal, but a LOT of these ladies are coming straight from work with no time to grab dinner, so the hostess said they will be ready to eat. Plus we could be having up to 15 people, so I want to make sure there is enough.

Thanks for your help Becky!!

chefann said:
I usually tell the host that a soup show is a chance to get out all those mis-matched souvenir/gift coffee mugs they have. :) My last soup show, I took paper cups that were about 8 oz. each, and it worked perfectly. If you're worried about having enough food, take beer bread or make garlic bites.

For 10 people, the single recipe of the soup should be plenty for samples.

If you find that many of your guests are expecting a full meal, then that's something you need to address in your host coaching, or even setting the time for the show. I do my evening shows at 7:00 and don't usually have a problem with people expecting a meal. But the couple of shows I've done at 6:30, people expected dinner. Amazing what a difference 30 minutes makes.

Oh I know! Crazy huh??

Well when we first set up the show the hostess said she wanted to do the soup and some bread. Then she also wanted to do a dessert. So we are doing the Smashed Potato Soup, beer bread ( made ahead of time) and Warm nutty Caramel brownies. Then she said she is going to have a few other snack items. So I figured there would be enough food and no need to do a double batch. So that's what I told her. But then in my last host coaching call to her, she is insisting that her friends are coming striaght from work and will be hungry and that we need to make a double batch of the soup. So she already bought the ingredients and is all set for me to make a double batch.
So I was gonna say again that one batch would be enough, but she already bought the ingredients, so ..whatever....we'll do it her way....it is her show!! LOL

elizabethfox said:
Oh I know! Crazy huh??

Well when we first set up the show the hostess said she wanted to do the soup and some bread. Then she also wanted to do a dessert. So we are doing the Smashed Potato Soup, beer bread ( made ahead of time) and Warm nutty Caramel brownies. Then she said she is going to have a few other snack items. So I figured there would be enough food and no need to do a double batch. So that's what I told her. But then in my last host coaching call to her, she is insisting that her friends are coming striaght from work and will be hungry and that we need to make a double batch of the soup. So she already bought the ingredients and is all set for me to make a double batch.
So I was gonna say again that one batch would be enough, but she already bought the ingredients, so ..whatever....we'll do it her way....it is her show!! LOL

Just a piece of advice and then I'm shutting my mouth... Don't let your host run your business for you. You are already making 3 different recipes for her show, that should be enough food without making a double batch of the soup. In fact, I only do 1 recipe for all my shows, if I have a host asking for a double batch, I let her know that the recipes I pick are made to serve alot of people and then tell her that she can have extra food if she wants to. I'm only saying this because your info says you are 3 months into your business. You don't want to start bad habits this early in your business, it's harder to break later on.

wadesgirl said:
Just a piece of advice and then I'm shutting my mouth... Don't let your host run your business for you. You are already making 3 different recipes for her show, that should be enough food without making a double batch of the soup. In fact, I only do 1 recipe for all my shows, if I have a host asking for a double batch, I let her know that the recipes I pick are made to serve alot of people and then tell her that she can have extra food if she wants to. I'm only saying this because your info says you are 3 months into your business. You don't want to start bad habits this early in your business, it's harder to break later on.

She is making the beer bread ...not me.:)

I don't think I am letting her run my business. She is just running her show...ROFL....Maybe she should be a consultant....HEY! Maybe I can recruit her! HA HA HA...:D

I don't mind doing two recipes, especially if we are waiting on one to cook...then I have time to put together another one. It really isn't that big of a deal. I have done this at two other shows, ( like a appetizer and dessert) with no problem, and I have been to numerous shows where more than one recipe was made. If it was a more difficult recipe, then of course I wouldn't consider doing another one! With the soup though, that is going to be cooking for a while, and that gives me plenty of time to put the brownies together and pop them in the oven. Especially since I will have all the brownie ingredients ready without having to measure them.

If you prefer to just do one that is up to you. Whatever works best!! Everyone's business is different!!

Thanks for the advice though! Everyone on here is great about helping me get some answers when I need them!

The veggies will need to cook for about 6-7 minutes, and then when you add the other ingredients, heat for about 6 minutes, then stir, and heat for about 6 more minutes!

Good Luck with your show! I'm doing 30 Minute Chicken with Biscuits tonight, and the host also wanted something sweet - so we are doing the Cool & Creamy Chocolate Fondue w/ graham cracker sticks. Sweet and Simple!

I'm also someone who doesn't mind doing 2 recipes - I usually always do 2 recipes....my demo time is usually 40-45 minutes from start to finish - and it works for me!

If you're making it in the micro, it's usually close to double time for a double batch of anything. Just check it after the normal time to make sure you don't burn/over cook it.

For what it's worth, I agree with wadesgirl about making sure not to let your hosts tell you what to do. :)

redsoxgirl said:
If you're making it in the micro, it's usually close to double time for a double batch of anything. Just check it after the normal time to make sure you don't burn/over cook it.

For what it's worth, I agree with wadesgirl about making sure not to let your hosts tell you what to do. :)

IF what your host is asking you to do is within your comfort level - I think it is perfectly fine to let the host guide her show a bit. I will let a host know when I'm not comfortable with their request - but I also like working with my host to make sure the show is what they want. If the host feels like you have partnered with them, they are more apt to take your suggestions for future shows....and future shows is my goal with all of my hosts!;)

I had a host once ask to double the recipe. Since it was in the large bar pan and I only had one, I told her she had the option of making another recipe after the show with her friends and I would let them use my tools. Turned out they didn't even eat all of the first one so they didn't want to make a 2nd one.

Do what ever feels right for you, if it doesn't feel right, speak up.

ChefBeckyD said:
The veggies will need to cook for about 6-7 minutes, and then when you add the other ingredients, heat for about 6 minutes, then stir, and heat for about 6 more minutes!

Good Luck with your show! I'm doing 30 Minute Chicken with Biscuits tonight, and the host also wanted something sweet - so we are doing the Cool & Creamy Chocolate Fondue w/ graham cracker sticks. Sweet and Simple!

I'm also someone who doesn't mind doing 2 recipes - I usually always do 2 recipes....my demo time is usually 40-45 minutes from start to finish - and it works for me!

Thanks! Good luck with your show too! :chef:

ChefBeckyD said:
IF what your host is asking you to do is within your comfort level - I think it is perfectly fine to let the host guide her show a bit. I will let a host know when I'm not comfortable with their request - but I also like working with my host to make sure the show is what they want. If the host feels like you have partnered with them, they are more apt to take your suggestions for future shows....and future shows is my goal with all of my hosts!;)

I agree. If I wasn't comfortable making a double batch I would tell her. Even though I personally think one batch would be enough , if she wants a double batch more power to her! As long as it fits in the DCB I have no problem with it! I have to what....chop up some more veggies and cook it longer...wow...not that big of a deal...ROFL:D I just want her to be happy. I would never do something that I was uncomfortable with.

I doubled the recipe for my show last week. It worked well...but I didn't cut up the carrots, celery, and onion into small enough pieces. They were still a bit too crunchy for my tastes.

Not sure if it was the microwave, either...could have been a smaller voltage. So, in the future, I will be using the food chopper to cut up those items so they are smaller and cook quicker. (at that show, I used my Santoku and cut them into about 1/4" dices.)

Also- be sure to preprep 95% of the veggies anyhow, so you don't have to spend so long during your demo!

Good luck! Everyone loved the soup. I made another batch the next night for our dinner here and everyone loved it here!

Serve with the toppings: bacon, cheese, green onions! Looked nice in SA bowls for the guests to add to their soup!

KellyTheChef said:
I doubled the recipe for my show last week. It worked well...but I didn't cut up the carrots, celery, and onion into small enough pieces. They were still a bit too crunchy for my tastes.

Not sure if it was the microwave, either...could have been a smaller voltage. So, in the future, I will be using the food chopper to cut up those items so they are smaller and cook quicker. (at that show, I used my Santoku and cut them into about 1/4" dices.)

Also- be sure to preprep 95% of the veggies anyhow, so you don't have to spend so long during your demo!

Good luck! Everyone loved the soup. I made another batch the next night for our dinner here and everyone loved it here!

Serve with the toppings: bacon, cheese, green onions! Looked nice in SA bowls for the guests to add to their soup!

I do always chop up the veggies with the food chopper. You can also tell people that the smaller they chop the veggies, the easier they are to hide in the soup.:rolleyes:

I used my food chopper too when I made it for the hubby and son. Hubby said it was delish, but he thinks it would be a whole lot better with potato chunks in it and with homemade mashed potatoes:D

1. Can I use any type of potatoes for the Smashed Potato Soup recipe?

Yes, you can use any type of potatoes for this recipe. However, we recommend using russet potatoes for the best results. They have a high starch content, which helps create a creamier texture in the soup.

2. How many servings does the Smashed Potato Soup recipe in the DCB make?

The original recipe in the DCB makes 4-6 servings. If you double the recipe, it will make 8-12 servings.

3. Can I make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it later?

Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time and reheated. However, we recommend reheating it on the stovetop rather than in the microwave for the best flavor and texture.

4. Do I need to peel the potatoes before adding them to the DCB?

No, you do not need to peel the potatoes for this recipe. The skins will add extra flavor and nutrients to the soup. Just be sure to wash them thoroughly before dicing.

5. Can I freeze the leftover Smashed Potato Soup?

Yes, you can freeze the leftover soup for up to 3 months. Just be sure to let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. When ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stovetop.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedmomto3
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • elizabethfox
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
elizabethfox
  • elizabethfox