• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Taco Seasoning Substitute Southwestern Seasoning in a Salad?

I'm curious to try it!I'm sorry, I can't share my recipe. It is a personal recipe that I use for special occasions.Thanks for the suggestion! I may try that.
JWorks
Silver Member
i was going to make this for my open house tomorrow and just realized i dont have the southwestern seasoning. i had it now i dont????????
i never had a chance to use it, i was wondering is there anything i can sub. like taco seasoning?

Taco Seasoning would work in a pinch.

thank you ! i don't have any cheffers that are really close that i could go borrow so i guess i am off to buy taco seasoning!

That's a delicious salad! I love the sour cream/salsa mixture as a dressing and as a dip for corn chips. Yum! :)

I made this last night for a playdate today...where does the SW seasoning come in? I didn't see that anywhere on the recipe (used the one from the Super Salads). TIA

Oh -- and I put it in the trifle bowl...it looks really nice. And -- I just used the iceberg lettuce shreds b/c I couldn't find a 16oz iceberg lettuce mix (any clue on that one)? TIA

Does anyone have this recipe to post? Thanks!

Here you go.....

Attachments

• Seven Layer Southwestern Salad.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 363
spoiledchef said:
Oh -- and I put it in the trifle bowl...it looks really nice. And -- I just used the iceberg lettuce shreds b/c I couldn't find a 16oz iceberg lettuce mix (any clue on that one)? TIA
I use romaine for this salad. It's a brighter green (and has a few more nutrients in it). You can get the pre-cut. Usually, I use the bag that has 3 romaine hearts, and I rinse and chop all 3.

Thanks for the tip Ann! I may try that. I'm making this for my show this upcoming Tuesday. I'm actually going to add ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning as well instead of chicken. Has anyone tried that before...did it turn out okay? It won't be piping hot, but I'm thinking it will still be good.

I have done the ground beef with taco seasoning when making this for my husband to take to a work function. It was a big hit!!

Did you half the recipe to do it in the Trifle Bowl? How did you serve it?

spoiledchef said:
Thanks for the tip Ann! I may try that. I'm making this for my show this upcoming Tuesday. I'm actually going to add ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning as well instead of chicken. Has anyone tried that before...did it turn out okay? It won't be piping hot, but I'm thinking it will still be good.

I make a cold taco dip that is reallly good..I usually make it in the rectangle chillzanne...I was thinking of making that in a trifle, but only fill it halfway, or else it would be HUGE... Anyway, it is a normal taco dip, but you make the meat before hand and refrigerate it....it is yummy in the summer instead of a hot taco!

It did not fill the trifle all the way to the top, but close...I'm sure the meat will make it go right to the top. You can always omit the corn chips and serve those on the side instead (besides...they get yucky soggy w/leftovers).
HTH

Oh, and I didn't half it, and I just served it with a spoon. It could make a mess, but that's the fun of it!

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to make it for my show next week in the trifle bowl. The extra tips are helpful. I'm still wondering where the southwest seasoning mix comes into play?

Melissa -- I'm not sure where the SW seasoning that the OP was referring to comes into play either. I didn't use it...the recipe doesn't call for it (unless the OP used it to flavor her chicken or beef).
HTH

Jen
jenniferknapp said:
I make a cold taco dip that is reallly good..I usually make it in the rectangle chillzanne...I was thinking of making that in a trifle, but only fill it halfway, or else it would be HUGE... Anyway, it is a normal taco dip, but you make the meat before hand and refrigerate it....it is yummy in the summer instead of a hot taco!

Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Related to Can Taco Seasoning Substitute Southwestern Seasoning in a Salad?

1. What ingredients are typically used in a Seven Layer Southwestern Salad?

The seven layers typically include lettuce, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and tortilla chips. Other variations may include red onions, bell peppers, or cilantro.

2. How do I make the dressing for a Seven Layer Southwestern Salad?

The dressing is usually a combination of ranch dressing and salsa. Some recipes also call for lime juice, cilantro, or hot sauce for added flavor. You can also use a pre-made Southwest or Chipotle dressing for convenience.

3. Can I make a vegetarian or vegan version of this salad?

Yes, you can easily make a vegetarian or vegan version by omitting the cheese or using a plant-based alternative. You can also substitute the ranch dressing with a vegan ranch or make your own using vegan mayo and spices.

4. How far in advance can I make a Seven Layer Southwestern Salad?

This salad is best when made and served fresh, but you can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and assemble the salad right before serving. The dressing can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.

5. Can I add protein to this salad?

Yes, you can add protein such as grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak to make this salad a more filling meal. You can also use quinoa or tofu for a vegetarian option. Simply add the protein on top of the other layers or mix it in with the dressing before adding it to the salad.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PCSarahjm
  • winklermom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
StacieB
  • AZPampered Chef
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies