• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Seven Layer Southwestern Salad Question

In summary, this recipe is good without Ranch dressing, and is a favorite of many. Some people like to add chicken, and others like to use a different type of dressing. The salad can be stored in the fridge for a few days, and is also a good wrap sandwich.
jesusluvsu2005
My second host just picked this as her recipe. Has anyone ever used any ranch dressing in this? It just seems to scream ranch at me but maybe that's just me. Anyone tried it themselves? Any changes made? Thanks!
God bless,
Amanda

Seven-Layer Southwestern Salad
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 ½ cups sour cream
¾ cup thick and chunky salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
½ cup thinly sliced green onions with tops
1 package (16 ounces) iceberg lettuce salad mix (10 cups)
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups corn chips (optional)

1. In Small Batter Bowl, combine sour cream and salsa; mix well and
Set aside
2. Drain and rinse beans using large Colander. Using Chef’s Knife,
Dice bell pepper and tomatoes; thinly slice green onions. Layer beans, bell pepper, lettuce, tomatoes and green onions in Simple Additions Large Bowl
3. Spoon sour cream mixture over top using Small Mix ‘N Scraper
Spreading evenly. Grate cheese over top using Deluxe Cheese Grater. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with corn chips, if desired, and serve

***To make a heartier salad, add 2 cups cooked diced chicken between the bean layer and the bell pepper layer.

I did this in my trifle bowl at a bunch of shows last summer. It is really good. You don't really need to add ranch (but I'm sure it would be tasty) because the salsa and sour cream make a great dressing on their own.

Do you add these exact amounts of sour cream and salsa or do you add a little more? I saw another post on here when I did a search that mentioned 16 oz of sour cream and a whole jar of salsa. Anyone use different amounts? Thanks so much! I just want to make sure I get it right. :)
God bless,
Amanda

Also, does anyone know about how many servings this makes? Has anyone used a head of lettuce cut up instead of the mix? Thanks so much!
God bless,
Amanda

I use romaine for mine, and chop it at the show, and spin it dry in the Salad Spinner!

It doesn't need Ranch - it is so good the way it is! I make more dressing than called for in the recipe, but pour part of it into a small SA bowl for people to add themselves.

This is my favorite Salad Demo, and also a favorite of ours at home! Sometimes I add a layer of sweet corn to it.

I always add corn, I forgot that it wasn't in the original recipe. I like the idea of having the extra dressing on the side. I think it could be too much if you add more to the salad.

Shana - what order did you put it in the trifle bowl & do you have a pic?

I don't think it needs ranch either. I guess you could put ranch dressing in it instead of the sour cream and salsa. Or maybe do the ranch dressing mixed with salsa instead of sour cream. Never thought about that.

Corn would be a good addition to this! Thanks for the tip---love this salad:thumbup:

This salad is so good and so BIG!!!! I was thinking that adding chicken or beef would be yummy!!!!

chefkristin said:
This salad is so good and so BIG!!!! I was thinking that adding chicken or beef would be yummy!!!!
To borrow Shana's post and make it my own:

I always add chicken to this - I forgot it wasn't in the original recipe....

:D

Just got back from an interactive show demoing this recipe....it's so yummy!

Oh - and if you have leftovers - it makes a great wrap sandwich!:thumbup:

Yes, I always add chicken too---yummy!

I was looking at that and thinking "I don't remember it having chicken in it"...LOL I haven't made it in awhile, but I absolutely love this salad. Big hit at shows!! I like the sc and salsa dressing, so I don't think I would use ranch, but I don't see why you couldn't substitute it...or leave the dressing on the side and offer a choice. I like to make extra sc and salsa dressing too. Never thought about adding corn, but it sounds good. I think I will make this for dinner tomorrow...and add the chicken. I might use Blue and Gold chicken strips...yummy.

1. What are the ingredients in the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad?

The ingredients in the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad include shredded lettuce, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and a creamy avocado dressing.

2. Is the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad vegetarian/vegan-friendly?

Yes, the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad can easily be made vegetarian/vegan-friendly by omitting the cheese or using a plant-based cheese alternative and using a vegan dressing.

3. How long does the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad stay fresh in the refrigerator?

The Seven Layer Southwestern Salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It is best to add the crushed tortilla chips and dressing right before serving to prevent them from becoming soggy.

4. Can I make the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad ahead of time. Simply layer the ingredients in a large bowl or dish, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Add the crushed tortilla chips and dressing right before serving.

5. Can I substitute any of the ingredients in the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad?

Yes, you can substitute ingredients in the Seven Layer Southwestern Salad to suit your preferences or dietary restrictions. For example, you can use a different type of bean or add in additional toppings like avocado or diced bell peppers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
byrd1956
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips