• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Vegetarian and the Deep Covered Baker

or is there a different ingredient that needs to be used?Does it just directly sub for chicken?...or is there a different ingredient that needs to be used?
cookingwithlove
Gold Member
Here is a recipe that I modified for the DCB. It is from Martha Stewart's website and she originally did it in a slow cooker. We all thought it turned out great. I like it because it is not a heavy pasta dish, but it is filling with the beans. If there are suggestions to making it let me know. Anybody have anything else?

Greek Stuffed Peppers
6 large bell peppers (I used a mix of yellow and orange)
1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup of crumbled feta (4 oz)
1/2 cup couscous, uncooked
4 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove minced
1 Tbsp Pampered Chef Greek Rub
Lemon wedges for serving

Slice a very thin layer from the base of each pepper so they sit flat. slice off tops just below stem. Discard stems; chop tops, and place in a medium bowl. Remove ribs and seeds from peppers

In a large bowl, add beans, feta, couscous, scallion whites, garlic, and Greek rub. Toss to combine and stuff peepers with the mixture.

Place is DCB, cover, and microwave on high for 10 minutes

Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve with lemon wedges.

Here is a list the products for this recipe:
DCB
Cutting board
SS Bowls or Batter Bowl
Forged Cutlery
Food Chopper
Smooth Edge Can Opener
Strainer
Kitchen Shears (open the feta)
Easy Adjustable Measuring Cup
Easy Adjustable Measuring Spoon
Garlic Press
Mix 'N Scraper
Large Scoop
Chef Tongs for Serving

Yummmmmm...thanks for posting! Think I'll try it this week.

Argghhh, I forgot to order the Greek Rub with my supply order! How could I forget, I love that seasoning.

This looks delicious. My daughter and her friend gave up meat from now until the end of school (I don't know why . . . they're teenagers - enough said). I'm having trouble coming up with meatless recipes my husband will eat without compaint. I think he'll like this.

I would love any feedbacks. I have a vegetarian show coming up and I really want to show the DCB. I think it is my best tool right now.

pampchefsarah said:
Argghhh, I forgot to order the Greek Rub with my supply order! How could I forget, I love that seasoning.

This looks delicious. My daughter and her friend gave up meat from now until the end of school (I don't know why . . . they're teenagers - enough said). I'm having trouble coming up with meatless recipes my husband will eat without compaint. I think he'll like this.

the Italian -and a dash of mint leaves--it ok for the Greek--RUB-

(100% Greek)

MORFIA said:
the Italian -and a dash of mint leaves--it ok for the Greek--RUB-

(100% Greek)

Thanks Morfia! Mmm, mint. Really need to go to Home Depot and buy plants so I can restart my herb garden.

Anybody else have a good Vegetarian dish that uses the Deep Cover Baker?

cookingwithlove said:
Anybody else have a good Vegetarian dish that uses the Deep Cover Baker?

Caramel Apple Bread Pudding.:love:

I would think that the Grilled Chicken Penne Pasta could be Veg really simply by adding some Cannellini Beans in place of the chicken, and using vegetable broth. (although I'm not sure it would taste as good.)

Since Tofu takes on the taste of whatever it's cooked with, you could sub Tofu for the Chicken in the Mexican Lasagna. (again, not sure of the taste - just the practicality)

Other than that....I guess it would probably take a Vegetarian to come up with some.

I haven't made this yet, so I can't guarantee results; however, I'm planning on making a variation of the Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares, but using egg substitute, spinach and mushrooms - no meat. I'll do it in the DCB, and hopefully it will work in the microwave. If not, I'll transfer to the oven (let's pray not, since my oven does heat up the whole house, great in winter, not so much in this heat wave we're experiencing).

I know most dessert are vegetarian, I usually do not serve chocolate and bacon together :yuck:! I have made the caramel apple bread pudding in the fall. It is very yummy, but I want an entree to make. The Grilled chicken penne alfresco without the chicken and chicken broth could be good. I want to stay away from tofu. Not sure why, I just do.

cookingwithlove said:
I know most dessert are vegetarian, I usually do not serve chocolate and bacon together :yuck:! I have made the caramel apple bread pudding in the fall. It is very yummy, but I want an entree to make. The Grilled chicken penne alfresco without the chicken and chicken broth could be good. I want to stay away from tofu. Not sure why, I just do.

its awesome---have made it--

Yummy. This sound wonderful!

MORFIA said:
its awesome---have made it--

Does it just directly sub for chicken? You can stick it in the microwave?

I had a party recently and we made the chicken pene pasta al dente into a vegan dish. The host got vegetable broth, to replace the chicken broth, and we served up a portion without the chicken or cheese.

We've done the Mexican Chicken "Lasagne" replacing the chicken with slightly mashed kidney beans or a combo of kidney beans and other beans. You have to mash them a bit so they absorb some of the liquid and seasonings better. I also add some seasoning to the mashed beans - Southwestern Seasoning is a good one. I even used a couple of tablespoons of bottled Italian dressing once.

Javamama42 said:
We've done the Mexican Chicken "Lasagne" replacing the chicken with slightly mashed kidney beans or a combo of kidney beans and other beans. You have to mash them a bit so they absorb some of the liquid and seasonings better. I also add some seasoning to the mashed beans - Southwestern Seasoning is a good one. I even used a couple of tablespoons of bottled Italian dressing once.

I have been thinking that a combo of black beans and corn might be a good sub for this.

aslion said:
I have been thinking that a combo of black beans and corn might be a good sub for this.

I think you're right - I've added black beans and corn to the lasagna before when I've made it, just for more nutritional value...so it wouldn't be that big of a step to just delete the chicken.

1. Can I use the Deep Covered Baker for vegetarian dishes?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker is perfect for cooking vegetarian dishes. It is versatile and can be used for a variety of recipes, from casseroles to roasts.

2. What are some vegetarian recipes that I can make in the Deep Covered Baker?

Some popular vegetarian recipes for the Deep Covered Baker include stuffed bell peppers, roasted vegetable medley, and veggie lasagna. You can also use it for cooking grains and legumes, such as quinoa or lentils.

3. Can I cook frozen vegetables in the Deep Covered Baker?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker is great for cooking with frozen vegetables. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as frozen vegetables may take longer to cook than fresh ones.

4. Can I use the Deep Covered Baker in the microwave?

Yes, the Deep Covered Baker is microwave-safe. It is perfect for steaming or reheating vegetables in the microwave. Just make sure to follow the recommended cooking time for your specific microwave wattage.

5. How do I clean the Deep Covered Baker after cooking vegetarian dishes?

Cleaning the Deep Covered Baker is easy. Simply wash it with warm, soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. You can also put it in the dishwasher for easy cleanup. Just make sure to remove any stubborn food residue before washing.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • ChefPaulaB