1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Vegetarian and the Deep Covered Baker

1. cookingwithlove

cookingwithlove Advanced Member Gold Member

Here is a recipe that I modified for the DCB. It is from Martha Stewart's website and she originally did it in a slow cooker. We all thought it turned out great. I like it because it is not a heavy pasta dish, but it is filling with the beans. If there are suggestions to making it let me know. Anybody have anything else?

Greek Stuffed Peppers
    6 large bell peppers (I used a mix of yellow and orange)
    1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
    1 cup of crumbled feta (4 oz)
    1/2 cup couscous, uncooked
    4 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove minced
    1 Tbsp Pampered Chef Greek Rub
    Lemon wedges for serving

Slice a very thin layer from the base of each pepper so they sit flat. slice off tops just below stem. Discard stems; chop tops, and place in a medium bowl. Remove ribs and seeds from peppers

In a large bowl, add beans, feta, couscous, scallion whites, garlic, and Greek rub. Toss to combine and stuff peepers with the mixture.

Place is DCB, cover, and microwave on high for 10 minutes

Sprinkle with scallion greens and serve with lemon wedges.

Here is a list the products for this recipe:
    DCB
    Cutting board
    SS Bowls or Batter Bowl
    Forged Cutlery
    Food Chopper
    Smooth Edge Can Opener
    Strainer
    Kitchen Shears (open the feta)
    Easy Adjustable Measuring Cup
    Easy Adjustable Measuring Spoon
    Garlic Press
    Mix 'N Scraper
    Large Scoop
    Chef Tongs for Serving

2. Jolie_Paradoxe

Jolie_Paradoxe Senior Member Gold Member

Yummmmmm...thanks for posting! Think I'll try it this week.

3. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Argghhh, I forgot to order the Greek Rub with my supply order! How could I forget, I love that seasoning.

This looks delicious. My daughter and her friend gave up meat from now until the end of school (I don't know why . . . they're teenagers - enough said). I'm having trouble coming up with meatless recipes my husband will eat without compaint. I think he'll like this.

Apr 26, 2009
  4. cookingwithlove

I would love any feedbacks. I have a vegetarian show coming up and I really want to show the DCB. I think it is my best tool right now.

5. MORFIA

MORFIA Advanced Member Gold Member

the Italian -and a dash of mint leaves--it ok for the Greek--RUB-

(100% Greek)

Apr 26, 2009
  6. pampchefsarah

Thanks Morfia! Mmm, mint. Really need to go to Home Depot and buy plants so I can restart my herb garden.

Apr 27, 2009
  7. cookingwithlove

Anybody else have a good Vegetarian dish that uses the Deep Cover Baker?

8. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Caramel Apple Bread Pudding.:love:

I would think that the Grilled Chicken Penne Pasta could be Veg really simply by adding some Cannellini Beans in place of the chicken, and using vegetable broth. (although I'm not sure it would taste as good.)

Since Tofu takes on the taste of whatever it's cooked with, you could sub Tofu for the Chicken in the Mexican Lasagna. (again, not sure of the taste - just the practicality)

Other than that....I guess it would probably take a Vegetarian to come up with some.

Apr 27, 2009
  9. pampchefsarah

I haven't made this yet, so I can't guarantee results; however, I'm planning on making a variation of the Ham & Cheese Brunch Squares, but using egg substitute, spinach and mushrooms - no meat. I'll do it in the DCB, and hopefully it will work in the microwave. If not, I'll transfer to the oven (let's pray not, since my oven does heat up the whole house, great in winter, not so much in this heat wave we're experiencing).

Apr 27, 2009
  10. cookingwithlove

I know most dessert are vegetarian, I usually do not serve chocolate and bacon together :yuck:! I have made the caramel apple bread pudding in the fall. It is very yummy, but I want an entree to make. The Grilled chicken penne alfresco without the chicken and chicken broth could be good. I want to stay away from tofu. Not sure why, I just do.

11. MORFIA

MORFIA Advanced Member Gold Member

its awesome---have made it--

May 4, 2009
  12. cwinter474

cwinter474 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yummy. This sound wonderful!

Jul 26, 2009
  13. janezapchef

janezapchef Veteran Member Gold Member

Does it just directly sub for chicken? You can stick it in the microwave?

Sep 5, 2009
  14. AmyDare

AmyDare Member

I had a party recently and we made the chicken pene pasta al dente into a vegan dish. The host got vegetable broth, to replace the chicken broth, and we served up a portion without the chicken or cheese.

Sep 5, 2009
  15. We've done the Mexican Chicken "Lasagne" replacing the chicken with slightly mashed kidney beans or a combo of kidney beans and other beans. You have to mash them a bit so they absorb some of the liquid and seasonings better. I also add some seasoning to the mashed beans - Southwestern Seasoning is a good one. I even used a couple of tablespoons of bottled Italian dressing once.

Sep 6, 2009
  16. aslion

aslion Member

I have been thinking that a combo of black beans and corn might be a good sub for this.

Sep 6, 2009
  17. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I think you're right - I've added black beans and corn to the lasagna before when I've made it, just for more nutritional value...so it wouldn't be that big of a step to just delete the chicken.

Sep 6, 2009
Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted