• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Successfully Trim My Stampin' Up Stamps for a Professional Look?

In summary, the "business builder" set of stamps includes die cut stamps that are not "straight cuts." The consultant has offered to cut the stamps
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
So I attended my clustermate's Stampin' Up party and ordered a set of stamps .... the "business builder" set.

They are not "die cut" so I am instructed to trim each stamp using "straight cuts." Never mind that the stamps themselves are not straight.

Anybody have these stamps and cut them successfully? I'm afraid to touch them!

You want to cut straight, no rounded edges. An cut as close to the pattern as possible. Our consultant has offered to cut our stamps for us if we want her to. But you want to only cut on a 'square' or on a 'diagonal'. NO Rounded EDGES. Hope that helps.

I believe someone on here is a consultant with that company as well - maybe they can help ya Di -

Sorry - I can't help ya!

That is exactly why I stopped buying their stamps! I buy the Close to my Heart stamps and LOVE them!! The blocks are clear so you can make sure you are stamping in the right place, which is great for layered stamps. And you can peel them off...the placement is not permanent. Close to my Heart is the company for the scrapping/stamping challenged like me! They make it easy to scrap.

Just my 2 cents. I know that doesn't help you now, but maybe if you want to buy more of this stuff in the future you can try CTMH.

I have not had a problem cutting the Stampin Up stamps. The trickiest part is lining up the sticker on the top of the block to match the stamp underneath. The newer stamps are all die cut and I kind of miss the cut your own kind.Have you ever cut out a circle or a rounded shape like a heart out of paper? You know how you turn the paper and the scissors at the same time to make a smooth cut? You can't do that with the stamps because you will wind up cutting the foam or the rubber at a different angle than the other, which will mess up your stamp when you try to use it.Start by cutting out the stamp in a boxy way and then cut the corners off until you get close to the stamp. You can leave about 1/8" blank space around the stamp edges without affecting the print your stamp makes.

im a bit obsessed with stampin up. & its become worse since my bff became a demonstrator. now that they have the "die cut" stamps - i tend to only buy those. but i still cant help getting the non-die cut ones periodically. myinnerchef had great advice on cutting the stamps. dont be afraid!

I have two sets of those particular set....LOVE EM!

erinyourpclady said:
I have two sets of those particular set....LOVE EM!

How do you use them? I have them - bought them from a friend I was trying to support as a SU consultant. I've never used them though. I don't do cards - but I thought I might use these somehow. But, there they sit.

I'll probably never use them, because I just am not going to do anything crafty.:rolleyes:

I am a demonstrator & have to admit that I was afraid to cut my first set too but now it's no problem. The link below has a couple of videos that might help.
How to Cut Stamps: Stamping Techniques & Tips | eHow.comI have always interpreted the "straight cut" part a little differently. I always understood that to mean hold your scissors straight. If you tilt the top blade to the right then you will be cutting in to the foam more. You want the rubber & the foam to to be cut exactly the same. If you cut more foam than rubber, it could cause it to be unstable.You can cut rounded images...just keep in mind the things that myinnerchef said. She explained things very well. Cut off the larger excess pieces & practice on them. Try holding your scissors different ways & see what it does. Then you will feel more comfortable when you have to cut closer. Take your time & relax!! (When I do a show & have new people there, I like to have incentive stamps there for them to practice on so they will feel more confident when their stamps arrive!)If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or email!

The newer ones are die cut ... I think that's why I got the deal I did on this set.

Does the "wish list" stamp need cut at all? It looks like there's no room. Also, the "special" and "thanks your order is appreciated" are round stamps. So do I just cut a box around those?

I am not a very crafty person but I did like the versitility of this set ... I envision stamping messages on host packets. Also, they have some that are not necessarily business related ... you can make gift tags with "a fabulous gift for you" and just color in the "call me" on the "call me to place an order stamp.

I LOVE Stampin Up. My cousin is a demonstrator here and she brings a new card to family dinner for us all to make. It's fun. I am not crafty so just doing 1 card a week is GREAT!

I'm a former demonstrator, I always made short cuts as close to the raised edge as possible without cutting into it, but most importantly, keep your scissors perpendicular to the design, if you slant them, you will lessen the quality of your stamped image!

I also did what Bev did with the incentive stamp, I would demo cutting one, then let the newbies practice on one that they then could take home to play with.

Another hint, when cleaning your stamps, don't use baby wipes, the alcohol in them will dry rott the rubber.

Also, when mounting them on the wood block, I always put it down in at corner so that you can see 2 sides of the stamp for easier placement.

I wish I had room at my new house for all of my stamps and scrapbooking supplies, but I don't. Maybe when we move I'll request an office for myself so I can have my PC stuff and my crafty stuff in the same house! LOL

Good luck with your cutting! Just take a deep breath and cut!

Di_Can_Cook said:
The newer ones are die cut ... I think that's why I got the deal I did on this set.

Does the "wish list" stamp need cut at all? It looks like there's no room. Also, the "special" and "thanks your order is appreciated" are round stamps. So do I just cut a box around those?

I am not a very crafty person but I did like the versitility of this set ... I envision stamping messages on host packets. Also, they have some that are not necessarily business related ... you can make gift tags with "a fabulous gift for you" and just color in the "call me" on the "call me to place an order stamp.

On the round ones, I cut straight with very small snips so that it would resemble a hexagon, but with many more sides. A lot of my cuts would be 1/8 to 1/4 in in length! it will give you a simulated circle, but the excess away from the image if left on, could leave unwanted marks on your project. The closer you can cut the better.

ChefBeckyD said:
How do you use them? I have them - bought them from a friend I was trying to support as a SU consultant. I've never used them though. I don't do cards - but I thought I might use these somehow. But, there they sit.

I'll probably never use them, because I just am not going to do anything crafty.:rolleyes:

I stamp Thanks for Your Business on all reciepts for Outside orders. I also stamp all the little perforated checklist sheets that come with each order. I can do that sincec I recieve 90% of my hosts shows. I used ot stamp my invites too...

Chef Kearns said:
That is exactly why I stopped buying their stamps! I buy the Close to my Heart stamps and LOVE them!! The blocks are clear so you can make sure you are stamping in the right place, which is great for layered stamps. And you can peel them off...the placement is not permanent. Close to my Heart is the company for the scrapping/stamping challenged like me! They make it easy to scrap.

Just my 2 cents. I know that doesn't help you now, but maybe if you want to buy more of this stuff in the future you can try CTMH.

Oh absolutely!!! I love love love CTMH!!! :love:

I Love CTMH, so much after first party I went to that I joined the Company, I figured I could support my own habit!!

I love being able to see what and where you are stamping and NOT having to CUT out the stamps!! I now also can do 2 and 3 layer/step stamping and not have things look drunk, as I couldn't see to line them up!!

I also have the SU set, but I've got some pretty cool sets from CTMH!!

Lisa

I am so NOT CRAFTY that I had never heard of "cleaning" stamps. I just figured that when the ink dried on them, they would not be able to transfer the color again.So if I can't clean with a wipe (which is what the SU book suggests ... I didn't know they had alcohol in them) what should I do? Run under water or what?

SU has a scrubber and cleaning spray, but i know other people(not BIG into stamping) use a damp rag. i don't like trying to guess at things so i bought the cleaning stuff before i started to buy a whole bunch of stamps.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I am so NOT CRAFTY that I had never heard of "cleaning" stamps. I just figured that when the ink dried on them, they would not be able to transfer the color again.

So if I can't clean with a wipe (which is what the SU book suggests ... I didn't know they had alcohol in them) what should I do? Run under water or what?

Most wipes now don't have alcohol in them. I use them all the time. If you use inks like Stazon etc. you will want to get the stamp cleaner but regular ink usually cleans up fine with non-alcohol wipes!

1. Why should I be afraid to cut my stamps?

Cutting stamps can be intimidating because it is a permanent change and if not done correctly, it can ruin the stamp.

2. Is there a right way to cut stamps?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to follow when cutting stamps. First, make sure you have a sharp, non-serrated scissors. Then, cut slowly and carefully along the edges of the stamp. It is best to start with small, precise cuts rather than trying to cut too much at once.

3. Can I use any scissors to cut my stamps?

It is recommended to use scissors specifically designed for cutting stamps, such as our Pampered Chef stamp scissors. Regular household scissors may not be sharp enough and could potentially damage the stamp.

4. How do I know where to cut on the stamp?

It is best to follow the outline of the image on the stamp. If there is no outline, use a pencil to lightly trace the image onto the stamp before cutting.

5. What if I make a mistake while cutting my stamp?

If you accidentally cut too much off the stamp, you can try to salvage it by attaching the pieces back together with a small amount of adhesive or tape. However, if the stamp is too damaged, it may be best to purchase a new one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • janetupnorth
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • DebPC
  • General Chat
Replies