• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Still Bake with Blackened Baking Stones?

In summary, a question was asked about whether baking stones are still usable if they turn black from being left in the oven during a self-cleaning cycle. The answer provided was that the stones are fine to use, but it is not recommended to leave them in the oven during self-cleaning as it may cause thermal shock and break the stone. The blacker the stone, the better seasoned and loved. It was also mentioned not to leave oven racks in during self-cleaning. The benefit of self-cleaning is that it sanitizes the oven by turning everything to ash. The stones are guaranteed to about 400 degrees, so it is advised not to leave them in the oven during self-cleaning. However, a deep cleaning method was suggested
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Got this from a past hostess today:

I do have a question for you regarding the baking stones. If a husband leaves them in the oven and sets the oven to self clean, and the stones turn black, are they still good to bake with? Of course this happened to me, and two of my stones are black as night. I haven't used them since this happened, so I didn't know if they would really work the same or not.

The stone would be just fine to use. You do not want to leave stones in an oven and run self-clean because it may cause a thermal shock and cause it to break. It is not going to hurt the stone to be black - that's the goal! The blacker the more seasoned and more loved.

Go ahead and use it.

BTW: You should never leave your racks in the oven during a self-clean cycle either. If you follow the directions for self cleanning the stove you wouldn't leave the racks in and therefore the stone wouldn't be there either.

What about self cleaning the over would cause the stone to turn black?? Did he put any kinda of cleaner in there?

I was wondering the same thing about the cleaner. My director left hers in the oven by accident and the came out almost white and unseasoned looking.

Chefgirl2 said:
I was wondering the same thing about the cleaner. My director left hers in the oven by accident and the came out almost white and unseasoned looking.

That's the way I had heard was that it looked like it was new when someone would use their self cleaning cycle, hmmm, makes you wonder what happened in that oven.

I have never self cleaned my oven, just used the easy off stuff overnight. What is the benefit to selfcleaning?? I saw I have a setting for that.

I will never ever buy another oven that isn't self cleaning! The salesman talked me into getting only the top oven to be self cleaning. Grrr... After reading the can I can't bring myself to spray the cleaner in my bottom oven that food will be cooked in.

All I do to clean my oven is shut the door and hit clean. Later, I go back and wipe out the charred mess. That is it. Easy, easy easy!

The self-cleaning cycle is basically a sanitizing one. It gets so hot that everything turns to ash and all you have to do is wipe it out.

cmdtrgd said:
The self-cleaning cycle is basically a sanitizing one. It gets so hot that everything turns to ash and all you have to do is wipe it out.
Right and our stones are only guaranteed to about 400 degrees - another reason to NOT leave the stone in there.

Beth where did you read that the stones are only guaranteed to 400*?

Oh thanks, I might set it to clean this week then!

BethCooks4U said:
Right and our stones are only guaranteed to about 400 degrees - another reason to NOT leave the stone in there.
Hmm weird. The stones are kiln fired at 2000 degrees. Wonder why it would only be guaranteed to 400. It doesnt say that on the use & care guide... :eek: :confused:

Here's the answer I received:
Hello Carolyn

Thank you for your question about our stoneware. Unfortunately, we
cannot guarantee the results of using stoneware after they've gone
through an oven self-cleaning cycle because we do not recommend doing
this. The pieces may have developed hairline fractures from the intense
oven heat, and you may want to visually inspect the stones before trying
to use.

If you wish, you can try removing the black by using our deep cleaning
method:

Deep Cleaning

* Prepare a baking soda paste by mixing 1/2 cup baking soda with 3

tablespoons water.

* Apply paste using a nylon scrub pad or kitchen brush

* Rinse and dry thoroughly.

Repeat steps if necessary.

After the stone has dried thoroughly, spread a package of crescent roll
dough across it and bake according to package directions. Remove
crescents and check to see if stones have started to develop their
seasoning back. Repeat process if necessary.

Again, we cannot guarantee the results of these processes.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

The Pampered Chef Test Kitchens

My director taught me how to cook pizza on it at 425. I never heard 400 before. I know you aren't supposed to broil with the stones.

I use mine all the time @ 425 to make homemade pizza.

I use mine all the time at 450 and occasionally at 500, so I'm also wondering where you got the 400 figure.

no broil.....
Chefgirl2 said:
My director taught me how to cook pizza on it at 425. I never heard 400 before. I know you aren't supposed to broil with the stones.

i broil bacon in mine all the time.....ooops...

I thought it was up to 500 which woudl be broiling. Can't broil with it because it's a direct flame.

500 is not broiling, it's just a really hot oven. Only when you specify "broil" should the broiling element in your oven come on. Stoneware is fired at 1400 degrees. So, other than direct flame, anything your home oven throws at it should be OK.

1. Can I still use my blackened baking stones for baking?

Yes, you can still use your blackened baking stones for baking. In fact, the blackened surface can help to absorb heat and create a crispier crust on your baked goods.

2. Will the blackened surface affect the taste of my baked goods?

No, the blackened surface will not affect the taste of your baked goods. It is simply a result of the natural build-up of oils and seasonings from previous uses, and it will not transfer any flavor to your food.

3. How do I clean my blackened baking stones?

To clean your blackened baking stones, simply scrape off any excess residue with a plastic scraper or brush. Then, wash with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Do not use any harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as they can damage the stone.

4. Can I still use my blackened baking stones for cooking other foods?

Yes, you can still use your blackened baking stones for cooking other foods. The blackened surface will not affect the cooking process or the taste of your food.

5. How do I prevent my baking stones from becoming blackened?

To prevent your baking stones from becoming blackened, make sure to properly season them before first use and to clean them thoroughly after each use. You can also cover them with parchment paper or aluminum foil to minimize direct contact with your food.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies
Views
priscilla
Replies
Views
Amanda Goode
  • ericadboone
  • Pampered Chef Stoneware
Replies