• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Make a Greek Salad and Torta for My In-Laws' Dinner on Sunday?

In summary, the recipe for the Greek cheese ball calls for using Italian seasoning in place of the greek. The recipe calls for making it the night before or morning of and leaving it in the batter bowl with the lid on. The recipe also recommends getting the tomatos (or peppers) really dry before adding them in. The recipe for the triscuits calls for having so many different varieties than just the plain triscuts. The recipe recommends getting some of those triscuits. The recipe for the lemon cake called for practicing the recipe for the Greek cheese ball.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Okay, I cannot remember the name of it but it's the new recipe offered. Can I make this the night before or morning of? I want to make it for dinner at my in-laws on Sunday but I have training on Sunday and leaving to go straight to my in-laws afterwards. I figured I could probably make it the morning of and leave it in the batter bowl with the lid on?

I'm looking at it now because I am making it for work Tuesday.You heat the cream cheese before mixing, but after that I don't see why it can't be a cooled dip. You can keep it in the bowl until the next day.Now the bread...hmmm...maybe brown it, bring it and then warm it?

If MIL's oven is fixed, we'll just toast it when we get there, otherwise it will be up to DH to toast it at home before he leaves. I already figured that part would have to be right there.

my one suggestion, make sure that you get the tomatos (or peppers) really dry before adding them in. Otherwise it will get kinda runny

Thanks for the tip. I've never made any kind of "cheese" ball before so hopefully it will turn out all right. I called MIL today to see if I could bring it on Sunday. She was excited to hear me asking because she was wanting to try it.

I made this yesterday. I used regular sun dried tomatoes instead of the ones packed in oil. They were really hard to cut with a knife. They were semi chopped instead of finely chopped and the torta still kept it's shape. I also used the substitution instead of the greek rub because I'm still waiting on my supply o rder. I think it tasted just fine with out it but would probably taste even better with it.

I don't see why it couldn't be made ahead of time and left in the batter bowl.

You can definitely make this ahead. If you don't want to do the toasted bread, you could do a firm cracker like a Triscuit (something that won't break easily).

DebbieJ said:
You can definitely make this ahead. If you don't want to do the toasted bread, you could do a firm cracker like a Triscuit (something that won't break easily).

Or Pita Chips.....I think this would be perfect with pita chips!

I made this yesterday for my poker party, in fact the longer it sits in the fridge the better it tastes, cause all the flavors absorb better. I too used the dry sun dried tomatoes but I cheated and cut them in my electric chopper with a little olive oil. The made cheese ball sat in the fridge for 10 hours and softened those chopped tomatoes nicely.

Good tips, maybe I'll just get crackers instead.

Tell your host to toss the leftovers with hot pasta for a quick "one pot pasta dish". Did it last night and my kids gobbled it up. A good replacement for the Greek Rub would be the Italian Seasoning. Enjoy!

I posted in Becky's "what to make" thread that this would be good with some marinated artichoke hearts in it, too. Delish!

DebbieJ said:

Ooh Garlic Herb Triscuits with it...

Hmmm...we are having a meeting Friday and someone is already bringing the lemon cakes. I was originally going to make the strawberry chocolate cake that sounds so good. Then, I found out we would have two desserts that way. (But really, is there ever "too much" dessert??:love: :love: )

Now you all have me considering making this up instead. Decisions, decisions.

Take the Torta, Kelly. YUM!! It's basically a giant cheeseball - can't go wrong with that. :) And if you wanted to mix it up, you can make 2 small ones with different seasonings in each by using half the ingredients in small or medium SA bowls.

I like the idea Ann of splitting it up. I probably won't do that but it may be a nice addition some other time.

We had it at our meeting on Monday night, and decided it would also go well with carrot and/or celery sticks.

Paula

I was at the store today picking up milk and bread and was checking out the triscuts. Apparently I haven't bought triscuts in a long time (maybe never!). They have so many different varieties than just the plain triscuts. Will defidently have to get some of those. I talked to my MIL and she is so excited that I'm practicing this for her.

The recipe for the Greek Cheese Torta says to cool the bread completely, so it should be fine made ahead. I'm going to have it for Tuesday night, and I'm going to do the bread Monday. I'll Ziploc it, freeze it, and pull it out an hour before the show.
Question about the feta. I have a container of feta with tomatoes and basil.
Would that fit, or should I buy plain feta?

Your flavored feta will be fine, don't worry about going to the store and getting plain!

This went over VERY well at my cluster meeting! Had leftovers and I have been eating them a bit, and sent some to my neighbor...she loved it too!

KellyTheChef said:
Your flavored feta will be fine, don't worry about going to the store and getting plain!

This went over VERY well at my cluster meeting! Had leftovers and I have been eating them a bit, and sent some to my neighbor...she loved it too!
I'm going to the store anyway, but I don't need to buy more Feta because I don't have another use for the tomato/basil feta. I'm not really sure why I have it. Sometimes I buy ingredients for recipes and then never make what I was going to make. I have some Calamata (sp?) olives and capers that I was going to use. Not sure what they are for, either.

Just got home from dinner, this was really good! I bought Toll House Garlic and Herb "boat" crackers and they were really good with the dip. Cannot wait to offer it for my shows.

I made this tonight and used the tomatoes not in oil. I chopped them up with my Chef's knife. They didn't stay in the cheese very well. I'll have to chop them up better if I make it again. I didn't like the bread...too hard. I'd try crackers.

Tomatoes better in oil, definitely and better flavor when this sits in the fridge overnight! Really a hit at work and wherever I take it.

Served it today with Rosemary and Olive Oil triscuits and Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits - both were delicious!

This was served at our cluster meeting the other night with olive bread and it was delicious!!! Sundried tomatoes in the center. Yummy!

Greek Salad - anything else?I just booked a show with a women who has a lot of food allergies/sensitivities. She really wants to do a salad at her show, but neither of the 6 o'clock salad recipes work for her (darn! I want to make the avocado/grapefruit one!).

She asked if we had a Greek Salad recipe, which I did find online... but it doesn't seem like it showcases many products. Just the mandoline and the measure, mix & pour, really. I'm also tossing the idea around to add chicken to the recipe, so I can show off our cookware. I definitely want to do more, so I SELL more!!!!

I never do more than one recipe, but I thought I might make an exception this time... should I try to make the salad AND the Greek Torta?? Would that be too much?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Related to Can I Make a Greek Salad and Torta for My In-Laws' Dinner on Sunday?

1. What is a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy?

A Greek Cheese Torta Thingy is a savory appetizer made with layers of phyllo dough, feta cheese, cream cheese, and spinach. It is typically served as a dip or spread on crackers or bread.

2. How do I make a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy?

To make a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy, you will need phyllo dough, feta cheese, cream cheese, spinach, butter, and seasonings. Layer the phyllo dough and cheese mixture in a springform pan, and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Can I use a different type of cheese instead of feta?

Yes, you can substitute feta cheese with other types of crumbled cheese, such as goat cheese or blue cheese. Keep in mind that the flavor and texture may be slightly different.

4. Can I make a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy in advance?

Yes, you can make a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy ahead of time and refrigerate it until ready to serve. You can also freeze it before or after baking, but it may affect the texture of the phyllo dough.

5. What can I serve with a Greek Cheese Torta Thingy?

A Greek Cheese Torta Thingy is delicious served with crackers, pita bread, or sliced baguette. You can also pair it with fresh vegetables, such as cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, and bell pepper strips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • pamperedbybarbara
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • ChefJWarren
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies