• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Have a Coffee Shop and a Pampered Chef Business?

In summary, Anne is considering quiting her job as a consultant to open her own coffee shop. She has a lot of work and long hours, but she is willing to do it if it is her dream.
Congratulations, Ann! My aunt and uncle opened a cafe in our small town 6 years ago (Perks), and they've certainly overcome some obstacles, but they're doing well. They have grown, too, from being "just" a gourmet coffee shop - they serve salads, soups and sandwiches for lunch, cater small events, and do "brat fries" on the weekends. I know you said in another thread you were looking at roasters - Alterra is awesome! I don't know if they're nationwide, so if you haven't heard of them and you're interested, let me know and I'll get you the info.

One unsolicited piece advice - ADVERTISE!!! There are still people here in our small town that have never heard of Perks, and it's right on the main drag. Get your name out there!

Can't wait to see more pictures and hear about your progress! Congrats again!

Congrulations Anne!!Wow this sounds so exciting. It's so wonderful to have a dream and then see it being fulfilled. I know there will be obstacles and lots of hard work ahead of you, but if anyone can do it, YOU CAN!!

We believe in you Anne and I can't wait for an update in September about your grand opening. Of course keep us posted about different ideas for your business while you are in the creative stages. I want to hear everything. Designs, color for your walls, items for sale, etc....

Debbie :D

Congrats!:) :)

I am a part owner of a tax office with the rest of my family and I sell PC as well.. it can be done just a matter of balancing your time between each. Good Luck Anne!!

Thanks for all of your feedback! Its really moving to have so much support. Some people have just flat out said, "Bad idea." So, its nice to see the good feedback. I may lose my shirt over this, but I would rather work 80 hours a week for myself than to spend another week at the current place. As most of you know, they fired my husband, and its just been difficult to work there. So, this is something I never thought I could to. Its scary, crazy, fun, overwhelming, all at the same time. But I have people willing to help me and its amazing--sort of like PC--complete strangers wanting to help you succeed. If you are ever in Hartford, CT, stop into Jojo's Coffe and Tea (on Pratt Street, no less). Bill there has been such a great help for me! Tell him Anne from NJ says HI! I have a great guy I am using for roaster in Lambertville (NJ) until I am comfortable roasting on my own--which is my goal.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and thoughts. I have a notebook I am using to jot down all of these great ideas.

I can't wait for everyone to come in--those who can travel to it! And, we're not far from Atlantic City or Philly, so it could be a detour, too!

Here's a blog I started for the coffee thing... I update it as often as I can.

http://phob.bravejournal.com/

How exciting Anne! I am so happy for you:) What a cute building it is too! I'm not a coffee drinker, but if I'm ever in your area.....someday!

Wow!!
That looks VERY nice!
I LOOOVE coffee!!!
Congrats!

We'll need to plan a CS road trip for the grand opening!

Anne,
I was in our Michaels craft store a few days ago and they had clearanced some of their summer stuff it was 90% all of their "kitchen" line it had signs, canisters etc. Don't know if you are looking for anything like that but it was soooo cheap pennies on the $

Are you also going to have a small retail area?
I was at Marshalls yesterday and they had the cutest gift sets of pyramid of tea I think it was called. They are the type of things I buy when I visit little tea rooms/coffee houses.

Wish we were closer to help you get it ready, we'd have you open mid July.

OMG! Can you imagine a whole crew of CSers descending on the place to help paint, decorate and set up?

It would end up looking like a set from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.

Yeah- we'd all have our own opinion about what color and how to do it. And then it would degenerate into just a big social hour.

Of course, if Rae were in charge, she'd just kick ankles until people did things her way. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Anne! I read this thread for the first time today and as I was reading through the posts I was hoping to see what happens! I don't drink coffee, but if I'm ever in NJ I will stop in!

Too funny...but seriously, you know we would show up if we could!

I've just recently been wondering what the status of this adventure was. Glad to hear you are following your bliss and doing it! Sounds like things are off to a great start and lining up the way they should be.

Congratuations, thanks for the inspiration, and HAVE FUN in the midst of all the craziness to come!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
It would end up looking like a set from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.
http://www.timvp.com/laughin5.jpg

Thanks, everyone! I met with the architect this morning and he said, "You have really done your homework." So, that made me feel good. I would love for you ALL to come by at any time!

Very exciting Ann! I am glad it is all working out for you. I have always wanted to have my own business of some kind. Maybe one day.

You DO have your own business - PC!

It is wonderful that you are moving ahead Anne. When my husband lost his job and was out of work for a year, I didn't know what we would do. When he told me he was going to start his own catering business I told him he had lost his mind. Now 3 years later we own a restaurant, have a major contract with The Choctaw Nation to supply barbecue to all of their convenience stores, plus he caters at least 2 parties every day. Our business has skyrocketed. I have since quit my job to help him.

With the right people behind you and a strong determination to succeed you can do anything. It is a lot of work and some days you want to throw in the towel, but it really does get better and better.

I wish you the best with your new business.

chefann said:
You DO have your own business - PC!
I love being able to say that I own 2 businesses. And I like that I can feature and use PC in the store.

I know where you could get some spiffy looking thermal caraffes for milk, skim and half & half. Most places use those little stainless steel bullets that get empty real fast.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I know where you could get some spiffy looking thermal caraffes for milk, skim and half & half. Most places use those little stainless steel bullets that get empty real fast.
Thanks! Send me the link or phone number! I'll take a look!

UPDATE: Well, on Friday we signed our lease! We are very excited and scared sh*tless, frankly! The banker says he feels very strongly that our loan will be approved, with us actually getting all of the money we need. He gave us the go-ahead to sign the lease, saying one way or another he will get us the money. Its really a great feeling to have someone believe in me (us) like that. With any luck, we'll be open for business by the end of September. I can hardly believe that this is going to happen. We are going to be in a new shopping center called Risley Commons in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. Its at the busiest intersection in our county with great access. Plus, its surrounded by and urgent care center and a ton of other medical offices. Its funny I wind up here; back in the town I grew up in, talk about coming full circle. We're still quite some time away from opening as we have all of the build out to do but I wanted to let you know where we were. My architect, who actually has experience with coffee houses and food service, says that he was impressed with my research and ideas.

How exciting! Congratulations!!!
happy0064.gif
I remember when you first started this post. It's great to see you going after your dream! Do you have a name for the coffee shop yet?

AJPratt said:
Thanks! Send me the link or phone number! I'll take a look!
2291_200.jpg

I'd give you a link to my Pampered Chef website but might be self promotion and I don't want to rile up the CS Posting Police.

TKG, I knew you were going to do that :D I'm surprised that Anne didn't catch on!

She's so wrapped up in legal documents that she can't see straight. ;)Besides, she set me up just perfectly. (Thanks, Anne!)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
She's so wrapped up in legal documents that she can't see straight. ;)

Besides, she set me up just perfectly. (Thanks, Anne!)
You KNOW I plan on using PC products EVERYWHERE I can!! Yes, I'm not thinking straight, which is much worse than usual!

We know that ;) that's why we're having a little fun at your expense. :D

DanielleQ said:
How exciting! Congratulations!!!
happy0064.gif
I remember when you first started this post. It's great to see you going after your dream! Do you have a name for the coffee shop yet?
Pratt's Hill of Beans!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
We know that ;) that's why we're having a little fun at your expense. :D
Well, don't have too much fun!!!!

The feelings of two little people don't amount to a Pratt's Hill of Beans in this crazy world.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
The feelings of two little people don't amount to a Pratt's Hill of Beans in this crazy world.
Very true. What's even funnier about this comment is that Dave's Mom is a little person!

We'll always have Paris. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I can't wait until I can make time to drive to NJ and see your place. From Cincinnati, I'd be going I-70 E to I-76 E... anyone on the way want me to pick them up and we'll make it a group outing?

I'm a rank sentamentalist.Don't have time for the real thing? Here's Casablanca in 30 seconds with BUNNIES!

That was too funny!

Okay, I had the quote wrong. Sue me.
casablanca_goodbye.jpg
"I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world."

know what's sad... this one movie i've never seen...

Best movie ever made, period. You must remember this, a kiss is just...wait a minute, I was trying to say, You must see this movie..

The most famous line in cinema history.
katie0128 said:
know what's sad... this one movie i've never seen...
Probably the signiture line of Bogie's career, the signiture line of the movie, and probably the most famous line in cinema history:

ingrid_bogart_hereslookin.jpg

"Here's looking at you, Kid." (Click on the link to hear Bogie say it.)

Not seen the movie, but know the song
You must remember this, a kiss is just...
and the line... funny how some things just become part of our culture.

There are several lines from Casablanca that are part of the lexicon."Round up the usual suspects." Cap'n Renault. (Click the link to hear Claude Rains say it."I stick my neck out for nobody." -RickCaptain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much. "If it's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York? " -Rick

Ann,
I've just read this thread today. Congratulations on pursuing your dream!! You know, when we're old and gray, we probably won't look back on our lives and regret too many things we DID do, but we may regret the things we DIDN'T do!! Good for you and your husband, for making sure this dream wasn't one of those "if only's...."!!
Best wishes,
Paula

Oh, and, like others have said, I'm not a coffee drinker either, but sure love hot chocolate! And chai tea!! (especially with a "shot" of vanilla added!)
YUM!!

When will you be posting your menu for all of us? <grin>

Seriously, if I were in Jersey, I would love to come to your opening! Be sure to post the big day, so we can all send up special prayers and good thoughts for you!!

Paula

Where are you in Ohio? At some point, I'm gonna organize a road trip to NJ... I'm sure I'll stop and pickup cheffers all along the way...

I have a thing to attend in Kansas City at the end of September, but if it's about the same time, well, as long as I'm that far south...:rolleyes:

Katie, I'll swing down from Detroit and pick you up on my way past...Wouldn't that be great to have a big CS cheering section at the grand opening?

What's the closest airport? Maybe I can pop-up there for lunch. (Now, don't go thinking that I have lots of extra cash laying around.....DH works for Delta so I can fly free!)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Admin Greg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • Tanya Becker
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
Stephanie78
Replies