• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can I Have a Coffee Shop and a Pampered Chef Business?

In summary, Anne is considering quiting her job as a consultant to open her own coffee shop. She has a lot of work and long hours, but she is willing to do it if it is her dream.
AJPratt
Silver Member
I ran into someone today who said they could help me make my dream of a Coffee Shop a reality. But do I have to give this biz up to make it happen? What do you guys think?

Why not? I would love to own a coffee shop!

I so would love to own a shop of my own! Restuarant, giftshop, coffee shop etc. That has always been my dream! Go for it! I envy you for making it a reality! And if you find your new business is a success then maybe scale back on your PC gig do it as a hobbyist if you have time! But you will never know until you try!! Good luck Anne!

There's a lot of money to be made in the restaurant business, but there is a lot of work, long (and not very good) hours. I'm not sure it's possible to do both. I've got the same problem right now with my job with its 100% travel.

I have a past host, and a one time PC cons. who has a coffee shop, she serves foodies...muffins, cookies, etc... She is only open for breakfast and maybe a brunch...seems she closes around 11am. Then she has another job...maybe cutting hair?... after the coffee shop hours.

It would be up to you if you wanted LONG hours...staying until the second shifters leave...
And being YOUR coffee shop, you could display PC things... use SimpAdd to hold fresh baked cookies and muffins...when someone says..."Ooo nice plate!" ... "Well, I have another business..."
Best of luck!
Go for it!

PS>.. She had SA stuff all over... she use many PC products in her kitchen... and I don't think the coffee shop was the reason she stopped PC> wanted to clarify that!

We have a coffee shop at camp where we work and it is only open very specific hours. You can make both work. Maybe you are open "X" days a week in the shop and close 1 day - that can be your PC day. My recruiter manages a Christian book store with a coffee shop in it and she's hosted PC parties there before. It was fun!

Ann...how wonderful. It is great when we have a dream and we can begin to see it take shape. My husband and I own a restaurant. We opened it in May. I was working a full time job, helping him in the evenings with the restaurant, helping him with catering, and going to college full time...and worked PC very part time. I graduated in December and I quit my job at the end of December. Now my job is taking care of my home during the day, working at the restaurant in the evenings and I have started to do more PC. You can do it. I will admit that it is long hours. We have about 20 employees and there is always someone who can't make it to work, they are late...always something. You have to be there to fill in if you can't find someone else. Most of my time at the restaurant is "baby sitting". If one of us isn't there most employees won't do what they are suppose to do or they are fussing. It really is baby sitting. But, I love the business. I like visiting with the customers. We have problems every day...you can't please everyone all of the time. But, we have fabulous food and seem to have a large group of regulars. I use some of my PC stuff there, but other than in the kitchen there is not a place to use it. I don't have any display room.

You go for it. I think it would be great. I personally love coffee shops.

Anne....

I have a bar and PC business...... But like someone said, the food service business is alot of hours. 7 days a week. I am there everyday, with the exception of the time I took to go to Nat'l conference. I do PC just to have something that is all mine, not shared with husband. That, and to get a little time away from him!

you can do anything YOU want.

Sounds like fun!I can imagine the Coffee Shop would buy a lot from their Pampered Chef consultant, if the shop was going to use PC stuff for display and servicing. I'm thinking Trifle Bowls, SA Small Bowls & Caddies, Square Plates, Coffee & More cups, Petite Squares to catch teabags, Three-Tiered Stand, Cinnamon & Cinnamon Spice Blend... Keep us posted, Anne. If it's your dream, you simply must explore it to the fullest!

Go for it!!You might always regret it if you don't. It's not always that someone comes into our lives and tell us they can help make one of our dreams come true.
And this sounds like a big dream.
I say GO FOR IT!!

I'm sure you have thought about the pros and cons on this decision and maybe you can just put PC on the back burner for now until you are ready to incorporate it into your business. Ask for a leave of absence from PC while you get your business going.
Can you do that? Anyway I hope your dream comes true. It sounds exciting. I would love to have my own bakery!!
I would make cakes, muffins, brownies, cookies, wedding cakes, and anything else I could think of. Plus I would show off my PC stuff.
You can make your own hours that you wish to be open and you can hire help!

Debbie :D

Anne,

I own a restaurant myself, the first two years were hard and they are just a blur. But with that said we now get to travel which is my true passion!! I’ve been open for 2 years and 2 months now!

I think it would be tough to keep up with your PC business while you are just starting out, but you will be meeting a lot of new people even before you are open who could be potential hosts.

If YOU think you can do it then you can!!

Wow Anne, congrats! If it's what's in your heart, go for it and if you're meant to still be with PC too, it will all work out!!

Why not? If that is your desire. Then you could use the new carafe and the coffee and more cups. But you better stock up on the Good Company coffee before it gets discontinued.

Go with your heart

Not your head

The saying is (and I hope I got it right)

If God brings you to it, he'll bring you through it

The best things in life is making your own dream come true.

~

Good luck Anne:)
I definately second (or third) that having a restaurant type biz is LOTS of work. My parents own a restaurant & it's their life; has been for 35 years.
Coffee shops are all the rage now; one just opened here in my small town. They have coffee's, hot chocolate, smoothies, & serve small breakfast items; its been a popular place so far.
Good luck with your decision & let us know what you decide!

Anne,

If it has been your dream, I don't see how you can pass up the opportunity. One of the things that is so great about PC is that you can work it around your schedule. If you are going to be needing the income from PC while the coffee shop gets off the ground, I would really work hard to lay some groundwork for the first few months before you get started. Have as many shows ready, hostess packets prepped, etc as you can. Work on catalog shows to help keep you going while the shop requires more of your time.

It is doable, you just have to decide how much work you want to put into it.

Not trying to sound negative.....but I personally wouldn't do it. Me and my husband also wanted to do this years ago. We even had a name "TJ's Coffee and Cream. The Coffee Shop with a Twist." The T is for Todd, the J for Jennifer (TJ also happens to be our son's name). We wanted to have soft serve ice cream which is where the cream and the twist come from. We did lots and lots of research and consulted with someone. We found out it could take around $250,000 to start up from scratch and wouldn't make a profit for years. Plus lots and lots of long hours. We were also told that a lot of coffee shops fail because they don't do enough business in the warm months (which is why we wanted to do ice cream too). The building we looked at to rent was $1000 a month.

Maybe if you could find someone that is wanting to sell theirs, that might be a better idea than starting from nothing. I think having live entertainment a couple nights a week would be a big helper.

OMG! The support is overwhelming! And I appreciate ALL the feedback. Its just something I'm kicking around, maybe in a different light becuase its a little more real. What I would like to do is be open like 6 or 7am until 1pm or 2pm. Serve coffee, danishes, maybe have whole or ground flavored beans for sale. I know the restaurant business is tough but if I do something on the lighter side, maybe it wouldn't be something unattainable.

If I ever get to NJ....I'd come to your coffee shop! Good luck!

Hi Anne!

I think it sounds like it could be a fun business. Have you worked in a coffee shop before? If not, I suggest you get a job in another coffee shop for a little while. Then you will have a much better idea on how you like it before making the investment.

Lisa

AJPratt said:
OMG! The support is overwhelming! And I appreciate ALL the feedback. Its just something I'm kicking around, maybe in a different light becuase its a little more real. What I would like to do is be open like 6 or 7am until 1pm or 2pm. Serve coffee, danishes, maybe have whole or ground flavored beans for sale. I know the restaurant business is tough but if I do something on the lighter side, maybe it wouldn't be something unattainable.

Sounds wonderful....the only thing is the open til 1-2pm. 6-7pm would be better, I know that it's only a couple more hours but I takes care of the college kids and people coming from work. You would be amazed how much business you would miss out on. I have 7 different friends in the coffee biz spread out over the province and they do fantastic sales. As in another post about $250,000 is a wack load of change and thats what it cost me to open a full blowen restaurant. Coffee shops that you open yourself should start around $60,000.....if you want to rack my brain about anything else just let me know Ann, my DH and I know alot about the biz and won't mind giving u some tips and info.:)

You can definitely do it. Most of us in the TPC (or any DS business), wondered how we would balance it all when we started. I know I did. I had 3 girls, homeschooled, kept a house, volunteered A LOT on the base, and had an issue with saying "No" to things, especially community service and fun things!

I would say to start now planning your days as if you are running your own shop. They say to this when going from a two to one income family, and I know it really helped us. Get up early, do something towards opening your business during the "operating hours" (research, business plan, take small business ownership classes, etc.), and then do the rest of your life during the rest of day. See how that goes.

I think you'll be amazed at how you CAN balance everything...SUCCESSFULLY!

I went back and checked my info. It said about $320,000 for a Starbucks Franchise. I guess that is what I was thinking of. It did still say that depending on the location and size (drive thru only or walk in), it could cost between $60,000-$300,000. Here is a website that you can check out.

http://www.espressobusiness.com/book.htm

Wow, didn't know SB was franchising now. My aunt lives in a rural town about 30 mins from here and she looked into it years back and no franchising was allowed.

Yeah, that is what I had always heard to. I heard they open them up one at a time when they can pay for them without any debt. However, just in the last two years two have opened about 30 miles or so from where I live. One inside a Kroger and one inside a Target.

jenniferlynne said:
I went back and checked my info. It said about $320,000 for a Starbucks Franchise. I guess that is what I was thinking of. It did still say that depending on the location and size (drive thru only or walk in), it could cost between $60,000-$300,000. Here is a website that you can check out.

http://www.espressobusiness.com/book.htm
I have actually been to that site! I have a meeting on the 23rd with a guy from the Small Business Development Center to see what he thinks. I'm not going to get my hopes up. I would have to take a look at the hours and see... There is a municipal building across the street and an elementary school right down the street. We have a college in a nearby town, but its saturated with Starbucks and other places. Students would have to drive 15 miles to us. Someone suggested if I could do a drive through since I'm on high traffic road, I would do well. I'm just not going to get my hopes up until I talk to this guy.

serve quiche, scones and fresh fruit plates YUM!!

AJPratt said:
I have actually been to that site! I have a meeting on the 23rd with a guy from the Small Business Development Center to see what he thinks. I'm not going to get my hopes up. I would have to take a look at the hours and see... There is a municipal building across the street and an elementary school right down the street. We have a college in a nearby town, but its saturated with Starbucks and other places. Students would have to drive 15 miles to us. Someone suggested if I could do a drive through since I'm on high traffic road, I would do well. I'm just not going to get my hopes up until I talk to this guy.

Anne...

we will all be waiting to hear what happens..

Our bar was my husband's dream... I just wanted access to a professional kitchen to make ice cream and play around!! We had no luck obtaining outside financing. Our problem, at the time, was that we had no "food service" experience. Didn't matter that I had been in the beer & wine business, wholesale end, for 23 years and that John grew up in a Italian restaurant family. We ended up buying an existing establishment, with owner financing. It wasn't the dream, but it got us in the door. Now, our new place is going to be exactly what we want.

Word to the wise, if they say it will cost XXXX, add a few bucks on to that. Look into alternative financing. Try a business broker. Plan for as much working capital as you can get your hands on.

On the positive side, you will be in charge and you can make it succeed.

Just my $.02. Being in business for myself, I can't afford much more!!

PamperChefCarol said:
Just my $.02. Being in business for myself, I can't afford much more!!

HHHAAAA that is so cute!! I know what you mean, being a small business is hard but at least it's yours and you are your own boss;)

Yes Anne let us know!

Is that college in the next town Rutgers? I'm not good on my NJ geography :)

It would be the Richard Stockton College of NJ. Rutgers is more North Jersey. I'm pretty South.

Aha. Thanks for the geography lesson! I got to meet Coach Schiano at my event last month and DH was his "handler" all day. He said he basically just watched him talk on his cell LOL

No problem!

Anyone have a suggestion for a name?

No suggestions for a name?

How about

AJ's Place

AJ's Coffee House

AJ's Mocha Joe's (I hope I have that spelled right)

~

Pampered Perk!

:)

Good one! That would be cool, rather than having bands play you could let people host PC shows at your coffee shop & they could still get the benefits! You'd be able to set up/clean easily & they wouldn't have to worry about cleaning their house/ having enough room!! How awsome would that be?? Okay, can I open a coffee house too?? j/k :)
Good luck & if I am ever in the area I'll stop by

AJPratt said:
No problem!

Anyone have a suggestion for a name?

Anne,
I love the idea and wish you the best of luck. A cute little shop opened in my town last spring called "Krumpets". The name is perfect for it. It sounds similar to what you are looking at. It is a sit-down or carry-out restaurant. It didn't have the ability for a drive-thru because it's located in the middle of a strip mall. I think it's a great idea! Keep us posted. Although I don't post a lot, I read almost every post. I will be checking...... :)
You know what else, if you busy yourself with opening this new business, you just may find yourself pregnant! Sometimes all it takes is something else to occupy your mind. Good luck with everything! :)

I keep trying to think of a name that uses "perky" in it, since you're such an upbeat person, Anne. But my brain is letting me down on this one.

chefann said:
I keep trying to think of a name that uses "perky" in it, since you're such an upbeat person, Anne. But my brain is letting me down on this one.
You crack me up... I have never thought of myself as "perky". LOL

My husband keeps throwing out names... I'll see him in the hallway and he'll just say "Bean Counters?" and keep walking. Its pretty funny. I thought of The Mullica Coffee House, Pratt's Coffee House, Coff a Cuppie... I also love literature, so maybe a Shakespearean reference.

Dave thought of: Perk Up, Sit a Bit Coffee Shop (that's actually on a sign we have in our kitchen), Fancy Coffee.

The location I want is at 4413 White Horse Pike, Mullica Twp. White Horse Pike is aka Route 30, and its on the eastbound side.

I talked to my realtor and there are two other parties looking at this place, and I am probably doing this all backwards, I probably don't look serious. And they probably have their funding all lined up. But I intend on going forward. I just feel like there has to be more to life than making other people money. I am very interested since I think its a great location with the Municipal Building across the street and the school down the street, close to my home.

We have a place by us called Bean Encounters...it's where we were holding our meetings for a while, for that matter!

chefann said:

How about "Perky-Latte's", a play on words about percolators and Anne being perky? I know, I know...but its early for me people...LOL

Cuppa Joe??

NamesAnne's Coffee shop

Perk U Up!

Taste of Heaven!

Yummy Creations!

The Tasty Shop

Warm pleasures!

Java Joint

Debbie :D

Our friend suggested "Two Drips".

Hey Anne,

There's a coffee shop for sale out my way. Want to move??? I'll be your friend! :)

I found "Steamy Indulgences" on the web! That will "Stir" some interest! :) Sorry... It's been a LONG morning!

Here are a few my DH brainstormed on for you

Brewed Awakinings

Bean There, Done That (or Bean There, Dougnut if you sell pastries)

Not your basic Bean Counter

The Acclimated Caffinated

Bean around the world

A Very Fine Grind (for espresso shops)

Coffee, Tea or Me?

Stired, not Shaken

The Brew Ha Ha

Strange Brews

Perk O-Now or Perk O-Later

Bumps and Grinds (coffee and muffins)

Hot and Steamy

Pounds of Grounds