• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Butterball Turkeys Are Certified Halal

In summary, Butterball turkeys are halal slaughter certified, meaning they adhere to the method of slaughter permissible in Islamic belief. This has caused controversy and some people are choosing to boycott the brand. However, halal does not necessarily mean that the animal was blessed by Allah, and not all Islamic believers are extremists. There are other companies that also comply with halal beliefs. Donating the turkey to a food bank is suggested as an alternative.
gigi425
http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/warning-all-butterball-turkeys-are-halal-slaughter-certified/

I think I will rip up my gift certificate for the Butterball turkey. Why aren't they Kosher? The kosher process is cleaner. And I don't want my American Thanksgiving turkey blessed by Allah!

gigi425 said:
http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/warning-all-butterball-turkeys-are-halal-slaughter-certified/

I think I will rip up my gift certificate for the Butterball turkey. Why aren't they Kosher? The kosher process is cleaner. And I don't want my American Thanksgiving turkey blessed by Allah!

I am not familar with this but if you dont want it donate it. Dont rip it up when a food bank or hungry family could use it.

Do you really think any islamic "blessing" on a mass produced farm animal will have ANY impact upon your life? Really??!!! Do you think you're "supporting" islam by buying a Butterball? Propaganda!!!

Cash it like a check and buy a different BRAND of turkey then. From my understanding is they cash at a bank like a check.

Do you know what Halal means? I didn't so I just went & looked it up. It's the method used to slaughter an animal. "Halal" meaning "permissible" in the method used according to the Islamic belief. Think of it this way ... if you see a company advertise in Spanish ... they are not saying that they support the drug lords in Mexico ... they are simply reaching a wider audience of potential customers.Just because this company is using that technique to slaughter the turkey doesn't mean that they support terrorism. They are branching out to a new market with the Islamic community, by advertising that the method they use is "permissible" by the Islamic belief in an attempt to reach a wider market & sell more of their turkeys. But it's Butterball making the money, not the terrorists. It's not like they are saying that $1 of every purchase goes to support the Taliban.You also have to remember that with any religion, you have the ones who want to learn to do good and you have the extremists. Not all Islamic believers are bad. Just like not all Christians build a fortress and protest government authority like the Branch Davidians did in Waco in '93.I agree with Tracy. If you don't want it, please donate it to a local food bank so that a family in need can have a Turkey this season.But if you want to boycott Butterball, you might want to do your research to see the list of all the other companies out there who comply with the Halal belief. Butterball is definitely not the only American company advertising something as being "Halal Certified".

Sheila said:
Do you know what Halal means? I didn't so I just went & looked it up. It's the method used to slaughter an animal. "Halal" meaning "permissible" in the method used according to the Islamic belief.

Think of it this way ... if you see a company advertise in Spanish ... they are not saying that they support the drug lords in Mexico ... they are simply reaching a wider audience of potential customers.

Just because this company is using that technique to slaughter the turkey doesn't mean that they support terrorism. They are branching out to a new market with the Islamic community, by advertising that the method they use is "permissible" by the Islamic belief in an attempt to reach a wider market & sell more of their turkeys. But it's Butterball making the money, not the terrorists. It's not like they are saying that $1 of every purchase goes to support the Taliban.

You also have to remember that with any religion, you have the ones who want to learn to do good and you have the extremists. Not all Islamic believers are bad. Just like not all Christians build a fortress and protest government authority like the Branch Davidians did in Waco in '93.

I agree with Tracy. If you don't want it, please donate it to a local food bank so that a family in need can have a Turkey this season.

But if you want to boycott Butterball, you might want to do your research to see the list of all the other companies out there who comply with the Halal belief. Butterball is definitely not the only American company advertising something as being "Halal Certified".

Very Well Said!

Thank you, Sheila, for your posting. The information I found also states that there is a difference between halal and dhabiha, the latter of which calls for pronouncing God's name prior to slaughter. In other words, halal doesn't automatically mean that the animal was "blessed by Allah". From what I can tell, all halal means is that the animals were not stunned prior to slaughter and they were slaughtered by quickly cutting open the throat.And besides, if one knows about the roots of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, one would know that Allah is in essence the same diety as God. Basically, it's just a different perspective. So in that sense, even if the turkey was blessed by Allah, it's be blessed by God also. And I'm not even going to get into the issues I have over people believing Islam is a terroristic religion, this is not the place for it.

You're welcomeAnd yes, public forums are NOT the place for religious debates. You'll see a lot of this ...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/305781_2660521871961_1223364411_3123011_1259842949_n.jpg

Very well said, Sheila.I personally will never discuss politics with the same people with whom I discuss religion. For if I agree with you on one topic, you can pretty much bet I'll disagree on the other.

If you are not comfortable with it please donate it to your local food pantry. There are so many families out there that are in need.

ritabenson - these are NOT "like" checks and are NOT cashable like checks.

???? Whaaaa? Seems too freakish to be true. And I've seen some outrageous stuff (9-11 tin foil beanie brandisher). While I don't doubt the insincerity of the food source conglorporation in caring for our health over their bottom line, I cannot imagine there is a lot of truth to this. The butterball website [US nor international] doesn't even register the word halal in their search engines. Pass me the cranberry sauce, please!Rereading - Shelia seems to have a bit more common sense approach to this. Blessings to all!

pampered1224 said:
ritabenson - these are NOT "like" checks and are NOT cashable like checks.

Actuallly John, I spoke with HO today and they are checks and can be deposited in your account.

cookingwithlove said:
Actuallly John, I spoke with HO today and they are checks and can be deposited in your account.

I haven't received mine yet ... but my overseas hosts will LOVE this, as Butterball may not be an option on their base.

Are they coming in the mail? I haven't received mine yet either??? :-(

Kelly, yes. They are arriving in a plain envelope with your info on the front & a PC address on the back. Many people have said that it looked like junk mail! So make sure you open anything that looks like junk mail.

Sheila said:
Kelly, yes. They are arriving in a plain envelope with your info on the front & a PC address on the back. Many people have said that it looked like junk mail! So make sure you open anything that looks like junk mail.

yes, I actually sent an email to all my hosts to warn them that the check comes in a plain white envelope with not much else. With all the mail we are getting right now, very easy to throw it in the trash!

As always, Sheila your posts are intelligent and well said. Thank you.

cookingwithlove said:

I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this. Being unemployed around the holidays I'd rather have the cash than the bird :)

I put it out to my group on FB letting them know that I hadn't received mine yet, but that people here were saying they could be cashed (and to relay that to their overseas hosts) ... here's the response of one of the team members:
I got mine yesterday and it looks like a check. I was wondering that. It says "Pay to the order of ___________" Looks like you could just write in your name.

There's so much I could say here, but at the risk of starting a poop storm, I'll keep my mouth shut. Thank you so much Sheila and Noora for being the voices of reason and posting something that makes total sense.

I didn't buy Butterball, because my grocery store had Honeysuckle white on sale for $0.59 per pound. Woohoo! I got a 17 pound turkey for under $11. However - I'll be using my gift checks for other Butterball products or a turkey for Christmas!

Nicely defended, or I should say researched, Sheila. I was just wondering if they are mailing the certificates in batches, alphabetically. My host from 11/8 submission has not received hers (last name starts with W) and neither have I (Last name starts with Z). HOWEVER, a host from a submission of 11/15 (last name starts wtih A) received his.

I thought we got an email the other day that said they had all been mailed, so I'm eagerly awaiting mine! As far as I know, none of my hosts have gotten there (last names start with S, S, R and mine is W) so maybe they did do batches!

I just cashed mine at my credit union today, so that is an option.

I just deposited it into my bank account. Thanks to everyone for letting me know I could do this and use the money to buy whatever I need.

Shari in TX

When everyone said it came in a plain white envelope, they were NOT kidding!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/386245_2677666306087_1389121744_3828252_9769466_n.jpg

Here's the back of the envelope:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/313612_2677666586094_1389121744_3828253_500646328_n.jpg

And the check:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/393245_2677666946103_1389121744_3828254_1796123232_n.jpg

Good to know others have had luck trying to cash them. I think with being laid off this year I'll go that route and use that for Christmas presents.

Dang girl, how many Christmas Presents can you buy with $15? You must be a better shopper than me! :p

Every penny helps! I'm glad those of you that need that option have it!After I had my first baby I went back to work 6 weeks after he was born. They called and asked me to start on Friday instead of Monday. When that check for one day (at that time it was under $15) I was so grateful. We would have had to borrow grocery money from our parents if it weren't for that. There are times in our lives that $10 or $15 make all the difference.

Sheila said:
Dang girl, how many Christmas Presents can you buy with $15? You must be a better shopper than me! :p

A friend of mine is making 60 candy-filled stockings for $11 to cover gifts for coworkers and such.

Dang! I spent more than $11 on Halloween Candy. She must be finding some great candy AND stocking bargains! :D

Sheila said:
Dang! I spent more than $11 on Halloween Candy. She must be finding some great candy AND stocking bargains! :D
Probably those small stockings, not full size. :) Although someone would love to get one that big!Like that idea though! Great for teachers (or in my case, Scout Leaders and hockey coaches, since I AM the kids' teacher).

esavvymom said:
Probably those small stockings, not full size. :) Although someone would love to get one that big!

Like that idea though! Great for teachers (or in my case, Scout Leaders and hockey coaches, since I AM the kids' teacher).

Yes, small stockings. She and her sister actually bought the material and split the costs (the above is her share). One cut out the pieces, the other sewed them together with a quick zigzag stitch.

Ah, she's making the stockings! The last time I checked small stocking prices was before moving to Japan in Nov '06 and they were like $0.49 each back then. So buying them would have been about $30 unless the price has gone up in the last 5 years. LOL

Well being unemployed every extra penny helps but I managed to get myself two gift certificates so that's $30 total! With my sister having 3 young kids I can spend an extra $10 on each :D Good enough in my book!

I used to work in retail and they work just like any check - many others have informed their uplines that they didn't even buy butterball products at the store and used it OR simply deposited into their bank account.

I'm thrilled b/c I don't need a turkey so to the bank I go!

For cryin out loud! My bank was the ones who told me it could not be! And they were even aware of them so I must not have been the first to ask. Too funny! Always two answers - way different ones to boot - from two different sources. I bet it was just my bank then that would not accept it! I apologize!

Related to Butterball Turkeys Are Certified Halal

1. What does it mean for a Butterball turkey to be certified Halal?

Being certified Halal means that the turkey has been prepared and slaughtered according to Islamic dietary laws and guidelines. This includes reciting a blessing in the name of Allah before the slaughter.

2. Are all Butterball turkeys certified Halal?

Yes, all Butterball turkeys are certified Halal, regardless of where they are purchased.

3. Why aren't Butterball turkeys Kosher?

Butterball turkeys are not Kosher because they are not prepared and slaughtered in accordance with Jewish dietary laws and guidelines. This includes not being blessed by a rabbi and not adhering to specific methods of slaughter.

4. Is the Halal process less sanitary than the Kosher process?

No, both the Halal and Kosher processes require strict cleanliness and sanitary practices. The difference lies in the specific religious guidelines and blessings that must be followed during the preparation and slaughter.

5. Can I still enjoy a Butterball turkey for Thanksgiving even if it is certified Halal?

Yes, you can still enjoy a Butterball turkey for Thanksgiving regardless of its Halal certification. The meat is not altered in any way and will still taste the same as any other turkey. The certification is simply a guarantee of how the turkey was prepared and slaughtered according to religious guidelines.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chef131doreen
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • NooraK