• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Tips for Hosting Your First Thanksgiving Dinner | Turkey Cooking Help

In summary, I think buying a self-basting turkey is the easiest way to go. If you buy a "injected with a salt solution" turkey, it is already brined, and doing it again won't help.
pampchef.angel
This is the first year that my family will gather at my house for Thanksgiving dinner, and so, as tradition goes, I must cook the turkey - which I have NEVER done! I consider myself to be a pretty competant cook, but I don't know where to start with this, and I don't want to trust Google...Help?!

I was in your same situation two years ago. I bought a turkey roaster (if you have a small kitchen plug it in outside on the porch, prevents the house from getting too hot). I used the recipe on the outside of the box (calls for stuffing cavity with onions, lemons, seasoning) and it came out PERFECT. Cook according to how many pounds, it gives you how many minutes per pound, DONT overcook, that is what my mom always did. (love you mom!) Good luck

Silly question - but where do you buy a turkey roaster? Is that a "Target" item?

Or you can call Butterball's hotline and they can help!;) :p

My mom always cooked her turkey in a cooking bag, and now I do too! Not the prettiest "carving" bird, but it's delicious! Oh, and cook it breast-side down, so all the juices flow into the white meat.Again, it's not going to be a beautiful browned bird like they have in the magazines, but my mother never had a dry turkey! And in the bag, you don't even have to worry about basting it! Can't get any easier than that!

I think I'd buy the turkey that has the pop up thing so you know when it's done. Thank goodness I never have to do stuff like this. I don't live in a central area to my family. We do birthday party in May and cook out on the grill. We use paper plates and cups and plastic utensils. I am making the sweet potatoes and pumpkin dessert and pumpkin bread and/or muffins. So, the vitamin A is taken care of for the day! :)

A turkey is the easieat thing to cook. I just pat mine with butter, sprinkle salt, pepper and poultry seasoning on it. cover and put it in the oven. Depending on ohw big my turkey is, I cook it around 4 hours. When the legs fall apart - it's good and done. I normally wake up during the middle of the night and put the turkery in so it will be done when I get up to start cooking Thanksgiving day.

I do not stuff my turkey. My dressing is cooked in a separate pan.

I use the America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated method. Easy, fast, tasty, and pretty for carving. I brine it first, then cook it upside down, each side up, then breast up. It's evenly cooked in 2 hours, and all the skin on top is brown and crisp.

JAE said:
I think I'd buy the turkey that has the pop up thing so you know when it's done.
Just an FYI - the glue that's used on the pop-ups fails quite often. Sometimes they pop up too soon, sometimes they stay down longer than they need to, resulting in overcooked and dry meat. It's better to use a thermometer (and we have a great pocket thermometer!).

There's a great brine recipe on foodnetwork.com, with Alton Brown's recipes. It's made with vegetable stock and some spices. And then the recipe calls for aromatics (apple, onion, sage and cinnamon stick) in the cavity during roasting. It adds a great, but subtle, flavor to the meat.

And if you buy a self-basting bird, or one that is labeled as "injected with a salt solution", then it's already brined, and doing it again won't help any.

Yes, I got my roaster at Target!

jrstephens said:
A turkey is the easieat thing to cook. I just pat mine with butter, sprinkle salt, pepper and poultry seasoning on it. cover and put it in the oven. Depending on ohw big my turkey is, I cook it around 4 hours. When the legs fall apart - it's good and done. I normally wake up during the middle of the night and put the turkery in so it will be done when I get up to start cooking Thanksgiving day.

I do not stuff my turkey. My dressing is cooked in a separate pan.

How do you warm it up when it is time to eat?

floccies said:
How do you warm it up when it is time to eat?

We normally eat at lunch and by the time it is cool enough to cut, it is almost time to eat so there is no need to warm it. If it is longer before we eat, we just eat it without warming it. Turkey is the one meat other than chicken that I do not mind eating if it is not hot right out of the oven.

I have been cooking the turkey for over 30 years (since 1971) and it always turns out just perfect every time (so says my family :love:).

I cook it for 20 minutes per pound and until the leg falls off the bird when jiggled. I start when I get up in the morning by preparing the stuffing (which I do put in the bird). When it's time to put it in (I get a large bird so it's always early in the day, usually as soon as breakfast leaves the oven), I put a lot of butter on top and in the folds of the leg/wing/etc. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. I baste it at least every hour. After about 1 1/2 hours I cover it with tin foil and continue basting, then about an hour or so before it's to be done I remove the foil so that it can brown more and the skin can get crispy. My turkey is never dry and I never inject anything. I haven't found any difference with any brand I've ever gotten. I let it sit for about 15-20 minutes before carving (while finishing up potatoes and other side dishes and while DH makes the gravy with the potato water in the roasting pan.

The trick is in the basting.

I now cook it in OUR roasting pan on the rack (before I had that pan I would just put it down in the pan and as long as I prepared the pan first the turkey didn't stick to the pan when I was ready to remove it from the pan. I spray our pan and rack with oil first so it doesn't stick. I do not turn the turkey at all during cooking.

Related to Expert Tips for Hosting Your First Thanksgiving Dinner | Turkey Cooking Help

1. How long should I cook my turkey for?

The general rule for cooking a turkey is to cook it for 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. However, it is always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before taking it out of the oven.

2. How do I know when my turkey is done cooking?

The best way to know when your turkey is done cooking is by using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey, making sure it is not touching any bones. Once the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it is safe to eat.

3. How do I prevent my turkey from drying out?

To prevent your turkey from drying out, it is important to baste it every 30 minutes while it is cooking. You can also cover the turkey loosely with foil for the first half of the cooking time and then remove it for the remaining time. This will help trap the moisture and prevent the turkey from drying out.

4. Can I stuff my turkey?

While it is traditional to stuff a turkey, it is not recommended for food safety reasons. The stuffing inside the turkey may not reach a safe internal temperature, leading to potential health risks. It is best to cook the stuffing separately in a casserole dish.

5. How do I carve a turkey?

To carve a turkey, start by removing the legs and wings with a sharp carving knife. Then, slice the breast meat by cutting along the breastbone and following the natural curves of the meat. Finally, slice the dark meat from the thighs and drumsticks. Remember to let the turkey rest for 15-20 minutes before carving to allow the juices to redistribute.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmoseley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • Ann F
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
tlennhoff
Replies