• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Thaw a Frozen Turkey in Time for Thanksgiving Dinner?

lol.The best way to keep the turkey from making noise in the dryer is to toss a few towels in the dryer and spin with the turkey. They act as a buffer!I decided to just let it thaw in the refrigerator and try to make it Sunday. Our sink was going to be an issue with other baking I am doing and only have a single sink (miss my double) and washing dishes etc and I didn't need the extra aggravation of watching DH not knowing why it was there and mess it up. I thought about the tub but decided not to go there. He doesn't need to be more confused than he is today and I am trying to live stress free...lol.
pamperedharriet
A friend of ours dropped off what appears to be a 12-14 pound turkey this morning and of course it is frozen solid. Any ideas on how to thaw it so I can cook it tomorrow? :confused: The bag says 2-3 days in the refrigerator to thaw and to not thaw it under hot water.

I have a back up plan for tomorrow if I can't make the turkey but my DH is soooo looking forward to my making a turkey dinner.

It's nice to get a turkey but the day before?!?!

Thanks in advance for your ideas and tips and of course Happy Thanksgiving!

I think you are SOL.

Technically, you're not supposed to do this. However, it is effective in a pinch. Put the turkey (still in the wrapper) in cool tap water. Change the water every 1/2 hour or so.

Rae, that is how my father always thawed the turkey. Chenge the water every few hours, and since it is only 12 pounds, you might make it if you start right away.

This is from the Butterball.com site:

Cold-Water Thawing:
Thaw breast side down, in unopened wrapper, in enough cold water to cover it completely.
Change the water frequently to keep the turkey chilled.
Estimate a minimum thawing time of 30 minutes per pound for a whole turkey.

There you go!

From the Butterball Website:

Cold-Water Thawing:
Thaw breast side down, in unopened wrapper, in enough cold water to cover it completely.
Change the water frequently to keep the turkey chilled.
Estimate a minimum thawing time of 30 minutes per pound for a whole turkey.

or if you still have a question about your turkey:

Turkey Talk-Line Info
Phone Number: 1-800-BUTTERBALL (1-800-288-8372)

Open to residents of the United States and Canada. Bilingual assistance is available (English and Spanish).

Hours of Operation:

November 3 – November 26: Weekdays 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. CST
November 22 – November 23: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST
November 27 (Thanksgiving Day): 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST
November 28 – December 23: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST
December 24 – 25: 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. CST
December 26 – 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CST
December 31 – 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. CST
Over the years, the Butterball® Turkey Talk-Line experts have solved some puzzling turkey situations, like which pan to use, what to do when the turkey is on fire, and when to start roasting the turkey so it’s ready by halftime.

Don't you watch TV? Put it in the dryer! ;)

Thanks everyone. I will get on it right away! If it doesn't thaw in time I'll just use my original back up plan and cook the turkey another day.

chefjeanine said:

Thanks for the laugh!

chefjeanine said:

Can you imagine the noise?

Isn't that what the plastic shelf thingie is for in the dryer? No noise when thawing your turkey?? :)

My Mom always set it out on the counter the day before cooking. We usually did 20-25 lb'er too! We have put it in the sink each year if it is not completely thawed! It's get ready in time!

crystalscookingnow said:
Isn't that what the plastic shelf thingie is for in the dryer? No noise when thawing your turkey?? :)

Only for those of you with newer dryers. Mine was made somewhere around the Truman administration. LOL!

I thawed mine in cold water this a.m.I have the funniest story to tell about a frozen turkey. I worked at Cornell University and a grad student's wife, from Chile, worked for me. She and her husband along with another couple went somewhere to a resort type place for Thanksgiving. They had a turkey but didn't know about it thawing so she had it "swimming" in the jacuzzi all night!!! No one seemed to get sick from it, and the turkey was thawed following a long swim.

crystalscookingnow said:

The best way to keep the turkey from making noise in the dryer is to toss a few towels in the dryer and spin with the turkey. They act as a buffer!

I decided to just let it thaw in the refrigerator and try to make it Sunday. Our sink was going to be an issue with other baking I am doing and only have a single sink (miss my double) and washing dishes etc and I didn't need the extra aggravation of watching DH not knowing why it was there and mess it up. I thought about the tub but decided not to go there. He doesn't need to be more confused than he is today and I am trying to live stress free for the next day or two (working with hosts that have more excuses than not on closing shows).

Thanks anyway for the tips and hope it helps someone else out.

The dryer here is an oldie and I share it with 3 other tenants and I don't think they'd appreciate what I was doing unless I invited them to dinner--noyl!

I always put mine in cold water in the sink too. Always worked! Never a sicky in the house.

pamperedharriet said:
I decided to just let it thaw in the refrigerator and try to make it Sunday. Our sink was going to be an issue with other baking I am doing and only have a single sink (miss my double) and washing dishes etc and I didn't need the extra aggravation of watching DH not knowing why it was there and mess it up. I thought about the tub but decided not to go there. He doesn't need to be more confused than he is today and I am trying to live stress free for the next day or two (working with hosts that have more excuses than not on closing shows).

Thanks anyway for the tips and hope it helps someone else out.

What is it with the Holidays?

My mom seems to be more confused than normal today too, Harriet.

LOL - just an evil Alzheimer's caretaker thought....you could tuck the turkey into bed for a nap and confuse him even more.:D (not really!)

I don't know Becky but I have some reading to do about this on my table if it hasn't been moved by you know who. It's been quite the day and night. Need to take some Tylenol (wish I had something stronger on hand tonight) in a couple of minutes.

I had to laugh about putting the turkey in bed for a nap. He took a nap this afternoon and my robe was on the bed like a ball and said how nice it was that the dog gave him so much space in bed. The dog was in the kitchen with me the whole time waiting to see if I was going to drop something good for her. If I don't laugh I'll cry if you know what I mean.

Good luck tomorrow with your Mom, Becky. I am somewhat glad it is only the 2 of us tomorrow just so he won't be overwhelmed. Another reason why I am not too bent out of shape over the turkey situation. It is giving him something to look forward to on Sunday. Our bil and niece are supposed to visit with us on Friday so we'll see how he is then.

pamperedharriet said:
I don't know Becky but I have some reading to do about this on my table if it hasn't been moved by you know who. It's been quite the day and night. Need to take some Tylenol (wish I had something stronger on hand tonight) in a couple of minutes.

I had to laugh about putting the turkey in bed for a nap. He took a nap this afternoon and my robe was on the bed like a ball and said how nice it was that the dog gave him so much space in bed. The dog was in the kitchen with me the whole time waiting to see if I was going to drop something good for her. If I don't laugh I'll cry if you know what I mean.
Good luck tomorrow with your Mom, Becky. I am somewhat glad it is only the 2 of us tomorrow just so he won't be overwhelmed. Another reason why I am not too bent out of shape over the turkey situation. It is giving him something to look forward to on Sunday. Our bil and niece are supposed to visit with us on Friday so we'll see how he is then.

I know exactly what you mean!

Ok, this is how I do it every year. Get a 5 gallon bucket ( I use the orange ones from Home Depot). Put the turkey in it, and cover it with cold water. Dump the water out every hour and change it. I swear this works. I've even left the turkey in it overnight and all it does is thaw, the water stays cool enough to keep it from spoiling, and so much easier than hogging up your whole sink with a turkey. Done it for years, don't start to thaw the turkey till the night before thanksgiving.

I have been watching Food Network, and the big thing is using a brine for your turkey. I am trying it this year for the first time. I disolved 1 1/2 cups of salt & 1 cup of sugar in about 2 gallons of water. Then added the turkey and fresh herbs (rosemary, sage and oregano, plus about 25 whole peppercorns). then I added enough water to cover the bird (he is a 20 pounder}. I then placed the tote in my unheated garage. I guess I should say that I live in PA, so it is about 30 degrees here. According to Alton Brown, 24 hours of soaking is the goal, but less would work too. The whole idea is to infuse the meat with the herb flavor and lock in the moisture. I will let you know how it turns out.

pamperedharriet said:
A friend of ours dropped off what appears to be a 12-14 pound turkey this morning and of course it is frozen solid. Any ideas on how to thaw it so I can cook it tomorrow? :confused: The bag says 2-3 days in the refrigerator to thaw and to not thaw it under hot water.

I have a back up plan for tomorrow if I can't make the turkey but my DH is soooo looking forward to my making a turkey dinner.

It's nice to get a turkey but the day before?!?!

Thanks in advance for your ideas and tips and of course Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm sure it's already been answered, but I don't have time to scan all the posts. Put it in a sink full of cold water- change the water out every half hour. The bird should thaw out in about 4-6 hours. We just thawed out a 22 pound bird in less than 9! :) I do it this way EVERY year!!!

I think the supermarkets are open late tonight.... our shoprite is open till 11pm... is it possible for you to run out and get another?

(maybe call first to make sure they have some?)

zookeeper614 said:
I have been watching Food Network, and the big thing is using a brine for your turkey. I am trying it this year for the first time. I disolved 1 1/2 cups of salt & 1 cup of sugar in about 2 gallons of water. Then added the turkey and fresh herbs (rosemary, sage and oregano, plus about 25 whole peppercorns). then I added enough water to cover the bird (he is a 20 pounder}. I then placed the tote in my unheated garage. I guess I should say that I live in PA, so it is about 30 degrees here. According to Alton Brown, 24 hours of soaking is the goal, but less would work too. The whole idea is to infuse the meat with the herb flavor and lock in the moisture. I will let you know how it turns out.

The Furry Guy isn't a real turkey fan (makes you wonder why he picked me, huh?), but I brine chickens all the time. It's great--moist, flavorful meat every time.

raebates said:

Can you imagine the noise?

We have walnuts that got caught in the rain last night...If walnuts get wet they can rot quickly...my boyfriend put them all in pillowcases and threw them in the dryer...It WORKED...The noise was AWFUL! LOL The walnuts are fabulous!

chefjeanine said:

I saw that commercial!!! So funny.

Nanisu said:
Ok, this is how I do it every year. Get a 5 gallon bucket ( I use the orange ones from Home Depot). Put the turkey in it, and cover it with cold water. Dump the water out every hour and change it. I swear this works. I've even left the turkey in it overnight and all it does is thaw, the water stays cool enough to keep it from spoiling, and so much easier than hogging up your whole sink with a turkey. Done it for years, don't start to thaw the turkey till the night before thanksgiving.

That's a great idea to keep in mind. Hogging up the sink is not an option here. I used to have a bucket that size that I gave away 5 years ago when we downsized. You don't miss things until they are gone!

We decided to make the turkey either Sunday or Monday and it should be thawed out by then.

Thanks again everyone for your tips and hope your turkey was delicious!

1. How long does it take to thaw a frozen turkey in the refrigerator?

The recommended method for thawing a frozen turkey is to place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. This allows for slow and safe thawing, ensuring that the turkey stays at a safe temperature throughout the process.

2. Can I thaw a turkey faster by placing it under hot water?

No, it is not recommended to thaw a turkey under hot water. This can lead to uneven thawing and can also increase the risk of bacterial growth on the surface of the turkey.

3. Is there a way to thaw a frozen turkey quickly?

If you need to thaw the turkey quickly, you can use the cold water method. Place the turkey in a leak-proof bag and submerge it in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes. This method can take approximately 30 minutes per pound of turkey.

4. Can I cook a frozen turkey?

It is not recommended to cook a frozen turkey as it can lead to uneven cooking and can also increase the risk of harmful bacteria. It is best to thaw the turkey before cooking it.

5. What should I do if I can't thaw the turkey in time for Thanksgiving dinner?

If you are unable to thaw the turkey in time for Thanksgiving dinner, you can consider cooking a different main dish or purchasing a pre-cooked turkey. Alternatively, you can also cook the turkey from frozen, but be sure to follow a reputable recipe and cooking instructions carefully.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
Laura420
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • PCCHeather0506
  • Pampered Chef Shows