• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Booked Event Drama: My Frustrations with a Difficult Client and Freebies

best?What was the other show you did that she is trying to scam you from?The other show I did was a cooking show.
crazy4dabug
THe show I'm doing this Sat is off a show I booked at the Home and Garden show, I paid for the meal for anyone whom booked there....well I mentioned at her show how I paid for the meal but that's not normal, it was a special I was running for H&G so any bookings all they'd have to do is provide the food, and drinks and they got tons of stuff, shopping spree, etc.

So, I get this booking for Saturday...I get ahold of her to plan, she's sent out NO invitations and doesn't plan too. She just wants a few ppl coming...like 4-5 maybe and they've supposedly said yes. Then we talk meal... so I suggest 3 cheese garden Pizza. She says yes and I say I can purchase it and bring it and her reimburse me, or she can get it and have it all ready for me when I get there....she sounds SHOCKED. Says she didn't know she would have to buy anything and goes on and on. I can kinda tell (esp being it's obvious that she hasn't read ANY of the material in the host packet) that she's trying to get everything for free from me and I tend to be too nice so I didn't give in and was just nice about it...promised it would be under $20 for both cake and meal, etc.

Crap, this is getting long to explain..sorry and thanks for being so patient if you've gotten this far.

Ok, so she calls tonight and is at the other ladies house, She's throwing a jewelry party for a DS person (more free stuff I guess). She wants to know if I can just make the cake and they can have appetizers there and that's it. I tell her no, that would not give me enough products to show and display. So she beats around the bush STILL trying to get free crap outa me! I'm still nice, but inside I'm irritated at this point. So, I offer the pizza dip or the pizza while promising those are the cheapest things to make. She goes reluctantly with the pizza.

What's worse....I'm pretty sure the only ppl that will be there are the same ppl from the other ladies show. I'm also pretty sure they won't spend anything.

We'll see I guess.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. sorry you had to read it. lol

What does "paid for the meal" mean? Are you providing the ingredients for the recipe you are demonstrating?

Yes, but only to get those bookings at the home and garden show. I was new and REALLY needed leads so now that I have them I'm NOT offering that anymore. It was only two shows so it wasn't bad...and I did cheap things. But, I got about 300 leads and other shows off of those which I'm again NOT offering that.

So then why did you tell her that she needs to buy the food or you buy it and she reimburses you?

I'm confused.

This is not one of those shows. This is a show I did not offer to purchase the meal. I offered the egg thing where I put pics of different items and she won the Basting brush as her gift for hosting a show. She knew when she booked that it was the hostesses job to purchase the meal but is now trying to get it free.
But, I'm offering to bring the ingredients with me with the receipt and she can reimburse me there or I can give her the shopping list and she can have them there for me.
make sense now?
:0)

Oh yeah...but the show she booked off of WAS a show I paid for the meal. So, she's saying she thought I bought and did everything and threw THEM the party instead of her throwing it for her friends.

Oohhhhh...okay got it. I thought you had offered her the "free show."

But she knows that others at the Home & Garden show got that perk and now she's trying to scam you into giving her that as well.

I think I got it now. :)

I hate when people try to manipulate us and get all they can for free.

If she's concerned about ingredient cost, you can make it a cheap one for her. Seriously, I think most of our recipes are $10 or less if you buy smart.

Yes ma'am.
And usually I'm a softy so it's a struggle to hold my ground...but when she called from a jewelry show saying she's spending money there that she doesn't need to spend there's no way in hell I'm giving in. That's what irritated me.
*sigh*
Ok, I'm starting to get over it and hope for the best.

crazy4dabug said:
So she beats around the bush STILL trying to get free crap outa me!

:confused:

Yeah..I told her it would be no more than $15-18 for the Pizza AND the cake. I just don't think that's too much...especially when she's obviously got it when she's spending it otherwise.

DebbieJ said:
So then why did you tell her that she needs to buy the food or you buy it and she reimburses you?

I'm confused.

I think she's saying that the current show was booked OFF of a show from the H&G show. Shows directly from the H&G received free ingredients...all other shows won't.

Crazy4dabug....I'd really suggest only one recipe for shows, especially if you are new. If the host only wanted to do the cake and it doesn't show enough tools, try an "air demo" and tie in alot of cross selling.

When I started I did two recipes, I switched to one about 5 years ago and LOVE it!! Makes the show shorter, people pay better attention, less dishes to wash :D , and my sales DID NOT drop. It's all about offering recipes that show the higher priced products and cross selling the tools you don't use.

rennea..sorry I'm a texan and use Texan sayings I guess. LOL

Man, I need to type faster!! You all posted responses in the time it took me to type mine!!!

GeorgiaPeach said:
I think she's saying that the current show was booked OFF of a show from the H&G show. Shows directly from the H&G received free ingredients...all other shows won't.

Crazy4dabug....I'd really suggest only one recipe for shows, especially if you are new. If the host only wanted to do the cake and it doesn't show enough tools, try an "air demo" and tie in alot of cross selling.

When I started I did two recipes, I switched to one about 5 years ago and LOVE it!! Makes the show shorter, people pay better attention, less dishes to wash :D , and my sales DID NOT drop. It's all about offering recipes that show the higher priced products and cross selling the tools you don't use.

Thanks for the advice. I usually just do the microwave cake because they request it. Everyone around here really loves it and it's cheap and fast. Plus, I do it while they are talking and eating the first dish. I did tell her we could just do the Pizza but she wanted that cake. So, her decision...she's gonna have to pay for it then. Thing is...it's $.77 for the box cake and HEB has a coupon for free icing right now.
I just don't think I'd be comfortable "Air demo-ing"....I'm still getting used to talking about everything.

GeorgiaPeach said:
Man, I need to type faster!! You all posted responses in the time it took me to type mine!!!

LOL! That's funny. :0)

crazy4dabug said:
Thanks for the advice. I usually just do the microwave cake because they request it. Everyone around here really loves it and it's cheap and fast. Plus, I do it while they are talking and eating the first dish. I did tell her we could just do the Pizza but she wanted that cake. So, her decision...she's gonna have to pay for it then. Thing is...it's $.77 for the box cake and HEB has a coupon for free icing right now.
I just don't think I'd be comfortable "Air demo-ing"....I'm still getting used to talking about everything.

Oh..it's the microwave cake. Hmmm....how about when you talk about the fluted stone, mention a couple of other stones....a flat one and a bar pan. Explain the different uses and foods they can cook. (Many people will look at the fluted stone and think "I don't do bundt cakes" and quit listening.) The more foods you mention, the more they can relate to it. Put some powdered sugar in the flour/sugar shaker and sprinkle on the cake. Have her get Cool Whip and use your EAD. I'd brainstorm ALL the tools you can come up with and use them on that cake :)

You probaby have already thought of all this....just thought I'd help you brainstorm ;)

awe thanks! I'm not just going to do it though. I refuse. LOL
*winkwink*....I'll do the pizza too just to show off all the items.
I think they proly won't spend much, I'll be surprised if I make the $150 minimum so the more I can show the better.

Deanna,

One recipe I offer for the "cheapies" is the savory cheese bites. I include it in every packet for those who seem to not want to spend the money on ingredients. VERY inexpensive, very little ingredients and I have found ways to show a lot of tools. If you don't have the recipe let me know and I'll send it to ya!

She is Ca-RAZY! You are not her caterer! Kill her with kindness, do her show then cross sell everything! Talk about the Trifle dish and how you could take left over cake and make the black forest trifle and serve it w/ coffee in our awesome Carafe that holds 42 onces and is made of Chrome! April host can get their choice of 60% off!

If you really wanted bookings... and to irritate the hostess... offer to buy their food if they have a show!

...OK, that wouldn't be nice but it would be funny. And the current hostess would still benefit.:D

I am such a guilt ridden Catholic. I feel guilty for suggesting that!:rolleyes:

Chefgirl2 said:
If you really wanted bookings... and to irritate the hostess... offer to buy their food if they have a show!

Hee hee....that would be SO funny!! Shame on you, Elaine!

GeorgiaPeach said:
Hee hee....that would be SO funny!! Shame on you, Elaine!

I know it is wrong... But that hostess expecting her to buy all of the food while she has a jewelry party just is amazing!!

Unbelievable!!

I say...have fun, kill her with kindness and if that offer slips out act like you are doing it to make the hostess a deal!!

She reminds me of a $1,000 host that told everyone to order because she was not getting much and wanted to get something. That host put orders together to and got 13 free batter bowls!!

Oh your such a bad girl Elaine:p :)

Not bad. I just think it is ridiculous to cater a part and not get paid for it!

I don't think I would really do it...

really...But, I wish I had the nerve to do it. You know, it's like thinking of the great comeback 30 minutes later!

Elaine! That is HILARIOUS! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
I don't know if I have the guts for that but I love just thinking it! hehe
thanks for the laugh hon!

MeesMom3 said:
Deanna,

One recipe I offer for the "cheapies" is the savory cheese bites. I include it in every packet for those who seem to not want to spend the money on ingredients. VERY inexpensive, very little ingredients and I have found ways to show a lot of tools. If you don't have the recipe let me know and I'll send it to ya!

Yes, I'd love to have it! Please send it to me. Even if I don't use it for this show out of spite then it would be good to have for others who really would like to have a show but just can't fit it into their budget...or even possibly for my mystery hostess show in May.

TIA

Please let us know what happens. Minute by minute update!!!

I personally think she knew she had to pay for the items but thought maybe if she pushed enough, you would give in!! I would just love to take her to knuckle junction!!!

How about instead of her trying to scam you into a free show, you tell her that when she has 10 ordering guests AT her show you'll reimburse her the cost of the ingredients making it a free show. - not outside orders, but IN attendance.

If she knows she can get it with a stipulation she might work a little harder to make sure she has 10 guests at her show.

Chefgirl2 said:
She is Ca-RAZY! You are not her caterer! Kill her with kindness, do her show then cross sell everything! Talk about the Trifle dish and how you could take left over cake and make the black forest trifle and serve it w/ coffee in our awesome Carafe that holds 42 onces and is made of Chrome! April host can get their choice of 60% off!

...OK, that wouldn't be nice but it would be funny. And the current hostess would still benefit.:D

I am such a guilt ridden Catholic. I feel guilty for suggesting that!:rolleyes:

Thanks Elaine! You made me snort my coffee thru my nose:D That cracked me up!

crazy4dabug said:
Yes, I'd love to have it! Please send it to me. Even if I don't use it for this show out of spite then it would be good to have for others who really would like to have a show but just can't fit it into their budget...or even possibly for my mystery hostess show in May.

TIA

Deanna, Here is the recipe. You will use quite a bit of parmesan cheese so I would recommend that the host buy the pre-shredded bag and just talk about the cheese grater or demo it with something else like the almonds. You can also show the guests how to chop almonds with the chopper as well. I like to sometimes show different ways to get the end result! Notice in the recipe that it says GRATED cheese, but I would recommend the SHREDDED. It works better. Now looking over this recipe, it doesn't look like you can demo a lot of products, but you can. Let me know if you want me to send you want I use with this demo. It is one of my customer faves! Plus it's like $6 or $7 tops on recipe ingredients! By the way, I used to live in Midland for a couple of years when I was first married! Right off Midkiff and the Loop!

Attachments

• Savory Cheese Bites.doc
    25 KB · Views: 229
I'm still confused on why you refuse to demo just the cake? When I did it, I had over a thousand dollar party. Here were some of the tools I used

*fluted pan
*ead for whip cream
*food chopper for peanuts
*kitchen spritzer
*cutting board (with food chopper)
*the small brown mciro bowl (sorry memory lapse) for the peanut butter and chocolate
*SA platter
*slice in serve
*cutlery knife of your choice to cut up the peanut butter cups
*bamboo spoon or whisk to mix the ingredients
*ss bowl (or batter bowl) to mix up the cake in

If you want to show off the cookware you could always use do the pull aparts. I used the recipe from this site (search under fluted pan) To me this is a good amount of products to use.

Stephanie, really? cool. I'm more towards downtown...but go thru abilene alot! :D Who is your director?

Nikki- Probably the confusion is coming from the cake recipe between us. That's not the cake I demonstrate. But, it sure does sound yummy! I've never seen a recipe that includes those ingredients...would you mind sharing? :0) Thanks for the info too..always love new info and recipes to use. And yes, yours sounds like it could definately be a hit being the only recipe.

Oh ok...just saw the search under fluted pan part. lol So, I'll do that.

Thanks again Nikki!

Andrea...that is a good idea. I would probably include "purchasing guests at your show" to ensure they purchase something because I know that with these ladies she'll tell them "just come, you don't have to buy anything".
But, I will definately think about that one.

thanks!

And thanks to everyone else for your comments and ideas too! I'm thinking about them all I promise. :0)

Will keep you updated.

I would probably tell her I would pay for it if she sent xxx invites or had xxx people there or xxxx outside orders. Give her a bit of incentive and reward to work harder...

crazy4dabug said:
Stephanie, really? cool. I'm more towards downtown...but go thru abilene alot! :D Who is your director?

My director is a woman named Laurel Jordan. She just became a director her and my AD is in Florida. Let me know if you want that list of the products I use for the demo

I have been trying to contact her to tell her 10 ppl at the show that order something and she gets it free...but she's not answering her phone...she doesn't have a machine, cell phone, work phone, or caller ID so I just have to wait. I'm afraid though, the longer I wait...The less chance of her trying to do anything because it's tomorrow afternoon at 1pm, the Show.
Yes, stephanie I would like the list.
Thank you!

MeesMom3 said:
Deanna, Here is the recipe. You will use quite a bit of parmesan cheese so I would recommend that the host buy the pre-shredded bag and just talk about the cheese grater or demo it with something else like the almonds. You can also show the guests how to chop almonds with the chopper as well. I like to sometimes show different ways to get the end result! Notice in the recipe that it says GRATED cheese, but I would recommend the SHREDDED. It works better. Now looking over this recipe, it doesn't look like you can demo a lot of products, but you can. Let me know if you want me to send you want I use with this demo. It is one of my customer faves! Plus it's like $6 or $7 tops on recipe ingredients! By the way, I used to live in Midland for a couple of years when I was first married! Right off Midkiff and the Loop!

If Shredded works better than GRATED, it sounds like a great microplane grater demo!

Ok, newest update.
I got ahold of her tonight and told her your idea. Told her I had been thinking about it and if she could get 10 purchasing guest AT her show tomorrow afternoon then it would be financially feasable for me to purchase the ingredients. She said "well, I have 8 will that count?". I told her "no, it has to be 10 to be doable for me financially". Then she started counting...1,2,3...then she said "well, I think I'll have 12 ppl there".
LMAO!
Anyways, we'll see what happens. I'm betting on 4-5 counting her.

crazy4dabug said:
Ok, newest update.
I got ahold of her tonight and told her your idea. Told her I had been thinking about it and if she could get 10 purchasing guest AT her show tomorrow afternoon then it would be financially feasable for me to purchase the ingredients. She said "well, I have 8 will that count?". I told her "no, it has to be 10 to be doable for me financially". Then she started counting...1,2,3...then she said "well, I think I'll have 12 ppl there".
LMAO!
Anyways, we'll see what happens. I'm betting on 4-5 counting her.

I'd say if she has 9 counting her pay for it, but 4-5 - sorry no dice! You offered her a great incentive and now its up to her to get the people there. So when only 4-5 show up you'll have to stick to your guns. I'm glad you got a hold of her! I hope it works out for you!

naekelsey said:
I would just love to take her to knuckle junction!!!
Now THAT'S a saying I had never heard before! That made me laugh!!! :D I'll have to use that one.

Great advice everyone--to only pay for ingredients if there are the 10 paying guests. Hope it goes well!! Keep us posted.:)

Ok, just got back from her show. SHe did give me my invitations back which I was glad. Everyone was pretty much an hour late arriving, but it gave me a little more time. She had 7 purchasing guests so I took home the leftover ingredients and only charged her $15 for them...I paid the rest.
She's at $300 right now and nomatter how hard I coached to take catalogs to work, call ppl that didn't show...she just said "we'll close monday cuz I'm not gonna do that".
So, after 70 miles to get there and back I'm closing at a $300 show. I guess $50 isn't TOO bad..just not what I wanted.
Eh well...better than nothing.
I'm glad it's over with.

crazy4dabug said:
Ok, just got back from her show. SHe did give me my invitations back which I was glad. Everyone was pretty much an hour late arriving, but it gave me a little more time. She had 7 purchasing guests so I took home the leftover ingredients and only charged her $15 for them...I paid the rest.
She's at $300 right now and nomatter how hard I coached to take catalogs to work, call ppl that didn't show...she just said "we'll close monday cuz I'm not gonna do that".
So, after 70 miles to get there and back I'm closing at a $300 show. I guess $50 isn't TOO bad..just not what I wanted.
Eh well...better than nothing.
I'm glad it's over with.

Don't mean to sound mean but I think after driving that far and the trouble I have read you have been through nothing would have been better than $50!! HAHAHA!!

I did say it was better than nothing. But for all the trouble as a Consultant you'd like to at least get paid for your trouble...not make $30 (after Gas and grocery cost).
:0P
;0)

Whenever I have a host who seems shocked that she needs to provide recipe ingredients, I point out the host benefits chart in the back of the catalog. I show her that PC is "reimbursing" her in $15 extra product for buying the recipe ingredients instead of having a catalog show. I don't mind bringing the rice cooker cake ingredients (around $1!), but you could use that as an incentive that if she has at least 15 for sure yeses coming, you'll be glad to demo a second recipe, and you'll bring the ingredients (rice cooker cake).

1. What is the situation with the booked event and the difficult client?

The situation is that the person booked a show at the Home and Garden show and offered a special where they would pay for the meal if someone booked there. However, when it came time to plan for the show, the client had not sent out any invitations and was surprised that they would have to purchase the meal for the event.

2. What was the offer for anyone who booked at the Home and Garden show?

The offer was that the person would pay for the meal for anyone who booked at the Home and Garden show, as a special promotion.

3. What was the client's reaction when it came time to plan for the show?

The client sounded shocked and was hesitant to purchase the meal, trying to get everything for free from the person. They also did not seem to have read any of the material in the host packet.

4. What did the person offer as a compromise for the meal at the event?

The person offered to either purchase the meal and have the client reimburse them or for the client to purchase the meal and have it ready for them when they arrived.

5. What is the concern about the event and the client?

The concern is that the client may not have sent out any invitations and may only have a few people attending, potentially the same people from another party. There is also a concern that the attendees may not make any purchases.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • rchamelin
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nanisu
Replies
Views
Becca_in_MD