• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

"Bitter Is the New Black" by Jen Lancaster

In summary, Jen Lancaster's memoir is a hilarious look at a former sorority girl who became a highly paid sales representative during the dotcom era but lost her job and then became desperate to get back to work. Jen creatively turns to a variety of schemes, including selling her expansive shoe and purse collection, taking up miserable temp assignments, and schlepping herself on thousands of job interviews. Despite her difficulties, Jen comes through in the end and becomes successful again.
chefkugler
New directorI just promoted on July 1st. I'm still learning little by little. I just held my first cluster meeting last night. I would love to meet other new directors and get feedback from them as well.

Melissa

WOOHOO for you! Congrats! Did you walk at NC?

Thats Terrific! Congratulations!
I'm sure more will join as time goes on- we're still so new.

Yes, I walked at National. What a thrill. I have a handful of potentials that I'm working on now.

Congratulations!! Great to hear you are still working on growing your team! That's the recipe for success!

chefkugler said:
I just promoted on July 1st. I'm still learning little by little. I just held my first cluster meeting last night. I would love to meet other new directors and get feedback from them as well.

Melissa

Congratulations to you!!! I've only done little "lunch and talk shop" type meetings on my own. We usually team up with a few directors to do cluster meetings. Good for you!

This is a book Review I wrote for a little community that I belong to:

This is the story of a girl that I would likely punch in the face had I ever met her. Really. And before you judge me - I'm not really a violent person. I'm passionate. I'm outspoken, yes indeed. But -- I have never just wanted to punch someone in the face on general principal. But her -- I would have likely punched her in the face just to see her spill her $25 martini all over her Prada bag and watch the blood drip from her nose onto her pink argyle Lacoste sweater.

I probably would have snapped her strand of pearls for good measure when I was done.

Yes, I know I should seek therapy, but instead I will write a book review, for that is a better use of my time and this is cheaper than the co-pay.

The book is a real life memoir of Jen Lancaster. A former sorority girl, snooty, witch with a b from beyond. After holding a few high status positions during the dotcom era, Jen becomes a highly paid, successful sales rep for a telecommunications company. Enter the day of the corporate merger and then the recession post 9/11 and you then have Jen out of a job. Her political science degree holding self now thinks she's worth far more than she is and can't seem to get it through her well educated, and perfectly coiffed yet very thick skull that her success from before was a FLUKE.

She has also done NOTHING to safeguard herself with a savings of any sort from these high paying jobs. She spends money like it's nothing. She lives in a penthouse in chicago that has a rent that is 4 times what a mortgage payment in the same area is. She has expensive cars and a lifestyle that an unemployment check just can't cut. You would think that a smart girl like this would know well enough to cut back right away, right? No. You would think that some changes would be made or her demands would be lessened after the first few rejections and blows to her ego. No! She keeps spending - going to the hairdresser for $400 highlights, wasting her money on silly intangible things. I literally got ill thinking about how much money she throws away and what *I* could do with it.

And -- as much as I wanted to punch her in the face, I kept reading. Why? SHE'S FLIPPING HILARIOUS. I don't often laugh out loud at books, but several times I caught myself with tears in my eyes. I had to leave the room in peals of laughter several times not to wake up my husband when I was reading late one night. She KNOWS that she's a mess. She is completely aware of the fact that she's the one who has screwed up her life so badly that she ends up in the ghetto, on unemployment and unable to find work.

It's a trainwreck, but one that is skillfully crafted with what I will deem as brutally honest and entertaining writing. I keep wanting to see what else could possibly happen to Jen and her boyfriend, Fletch -- who is just adorable as can be and I feel terrible for throughout the entire book, but he totally comes through in the end and keeps her head on.

She metamorphasizes - ebaying her expansive shoe and purse collection, taking up miserable temp assignments, schlepping herself on thousands of job interviews. Coming up with massive schemes to get money and get themselves out of their state. All culminating in much hilarity.

While I am no diva-fasionista and have NEVER been known to splurge on massive quantities of shows, clothes and bags (my husband isn't reading this is he?). I can relate to this girl all to well on the feelings of desperation when you are a) jobless, b) in debt up to your ears and c) completely out of your element. I feel for her, but I also cheer for her as she begins her her transformation from her holy trinity of Nordstrom's, Pottery Barn, and Neimen Marcus to her new religion of my personal favorite stores of Trader Joe's, Ikea and Target. I'm proud to have her in our "church" now...

She's witty, bright, and while she will drive you up a wall, you can only respect her in the end. Any writer has to admore her tanacity in a difficult time to take up her own life, put it to words and sell the story and get published. She deserves the accolades.

So .. I give her 4 IZOD alligators out of 5. :)

I just started her second book -- "Bright Lights, Big Ass" -- :thumbsup:so far it's equally entertaining.

Ahhhh....I think I need to read this book...

Since you're one of my cosmic twins then yes indeeddy -- you should :)

I LOVE your review! You have a knack for writing!

I am wanting to read the book now!

Aww.. you're so sweet.

To be honest, my review was a little experiment for me. I love to write, but try to get out of my normal "voice" and change things around. For this review, I am somewhat echoing her writing style in it.

This may mean you will enjoy the book more :)

Here's my challenge... no driving for 2 months!Per dr's orders as my surgery was on my driving ankle/foot. Since I need to rely on others to get me where I want to be to do shows.... I am going to try to organize a MEGA show. Have any of you done these? I'm thinking of renting a hall, and I will try to find 4-5 hosts to fill 4-5 tables with at least 10-15 friends. Invite my downline to do the same.

Share the demo, hosts will hand out supplies and bring munchies and wine (or do byow?). The consultants can have one meal to demo, while the other one serves it already made.

What themes would work for these? Power Cooking/Investment? I have /jenny's Bingo thought Im not sure how it would work to sell products do you?

I'd like each host to arrive with all of their outside orders collected. If she has $500 in outside orders she gets a prize.

HAS anyone done these?
:chef:

I just finished this ! it was hysterical ! to think someone actually thinks like this and is willing to admit it !
i just started her 2nd book...Bright Lights, Big Ass, so far so good.

She also has a blog that is entertaining... www.jennsylvania.com

Related to "Bitter Is the New Black" by Jen Lancaster

1. What is the book "Bitter Is the New Black" about?

"Bitter Is the New Black" is a memoir written by Jen Lancaster about her experience going from a high-paying corporate job to being unemployed and struggling to make ends meet.

2. Is the book appropriate for all ages?

The book does contain some mature language and content, so we recommend it for readers ages 18 and up.

3. Is "Bitter Is the New Black" part of a series?

Yes, "Bitter Is the New Black" is the first book in Jen Lancaster's "Bright Lights, Big Ass" series. It is followed by other popular titles such as "Such a Pretty Fat" and "Pretty in Plaid".

4. Is "Bitter Is the New Black" available in e-book format?

Yes, the book is available in various e-book formats, including Kindle and Nook.

5. Can I purchase "Bitter Is the New Black" through Pampered Chef?

Unfortunately, "Bitter Is the New Black" is not available for purchase through Pampered Chef. However, you can find it at most major bookstores or online retailers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Tropicalburstqt2
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • missyciccolella
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
smspamperedchef
Replies