• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
Tomorrow is my son's birthday party so today I baked and decorated cakes for the party...my hand is SO sore...
DannysBday2007002.jpg

DannysBday2007003.jpg

DannysBday2007004.jpg

DannysBday2007001.jpg

Sorry the pictures are huge - I can't figure out how to make them smaller...

Very nice Carolyn! Sports theme?

pamperedlinda said:
Very nice Carolyn! Sports theme?

Thanks!
And, sports? OF COURSE!!
This kid is a sports NUT. He has had sports themed birthday parties every year except one (age 2...I made a tele-tubbies cake that year)

Here's his bday 2 years ago. I did the same cakes but the less fancy version of them...(I was tired - LOL)
Dannys7thBdayParty041.jpg

Dannys7thBdayParty001.jpg

Very nice Carolyn! Looks like that took you just a little bit of time.

missydivine said:
Very nice Carolyn! Looks like that took you just a little bit of time.

Thanks...and yeah, all freakin' morning - LOL
My hand is SO sore!

Oh my goodness Carolyn!! You're good!!! Did you use the decorator bottle set or the EAD?

Wow - good job - I hope he appreciates it!

PampMomof3 said:
Oh my goodness Carolyn!! You're good!!! Did you use the decorator bottle set or the EAD?

Neither
::::hanging head in shame:::::::::
I used the Wilton pastry bags and tips.

dannyzmom said:
Neither
::::hanging head in shame:::::::::
I used the Wilton pastry bags and tips.
WHAT?????:grumpy: :yuck: :eek:

You could have at least TOLD US that you used the EAD!

No, really, they are great! What a gift!:balloon:

Happy birthday to your son!:balloon:

janetupnorth said:
Wow - good job - I hope he appreciates it!

He does, he's a sweet boy :love:

Great job!

Those look amazing! What a nice Mommy!

Take some ibuprophin (sp?) and rest your hand! I can only imagine how tired it is from making all of those stars!

Carolyn, do you have the multi-star tip? Wilton has a top that makes 3 stars clustered, specifically for this technique. Looks like you need that one. :) Multi-Opening Decorating Tips - WiltonThose look great, BTW!

chefann said:
Carolyn, do you have the multi-star tip? Wilton has a top that makes 3 stars clustered, specifically for this technique. Looks like you need that one. :)

Multi-Opening Decorating Tips - Wilton

Those look great, BTW!

Wow!! I never knew they had that!
I have 42 and 233 but I never saw the triple star tip! I WANT ONE!!!!!

BethCooks4U said:
WHAT?????:grumpy: :yuck: :eek:

You could have at least TOLD US that you used the EAD!

No, really, they are great! What a gift!:balloon:

Happy birthday to your son!:balloon:

Thank you Beth!
And, oh yeah,, that's right, I *did* use the EAD ;)

Carolyn, thos are fantastic!!!

I felt guilty when I used Wilton for my son's Clifford cake to, but the EAD tips are too big to me.

I WANT that three star tip too!!!!

They look great, Carolyn. I bet you're the cool mom!I wish they'd had the multiple star tip when my DS was little. That would have made the Winnie-the-Pooh and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cakes much easier.

I am loving hearing abou thte cakes ya'll have made - Clifford, TMNT, Pooh...what else has everyone made? Anyone care to share pictures?
I have done Teletubbies, football, baseball, dinosaur (partysaurus), Elmo...Here's the dino one...
Cake003Medium.jpg

I don't have digi-pics of the others - they were before I went digital.

I have done a barbie doll cake and pooh cake before digital and this yr I did a turtle cake but to afraid and cant figure out how to show it. I didnt get the frosting right so it was all droopy. So it was a sad looking turtle. Your cakes are awsome.

Nice job Carolyn! Maybe I'll give that a shot for my Uncle Joey's birthday, he loves football! :)

Here are some of mine:I love to decorate cakes! Here are some of mine. I'll have to post attachments though as I've been too lazy to figure out how to insert in a message yet....

The adorable little boy is my son Jacob....

I made a really cute Train Track cake and I can't find the photo....I'll post when I find it.

Attachments

• butterfly cakes.JPG
    butterfly cakes.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 593
  • frog cake_1.JPG
    frog cake_1.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 547
  • PB030003.JPG
    PB030003.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 021504_Elmo Cake.JPG
    021504_Elmo Cake.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 615
pamperedlinda said:
I love to decorate cakes! Here are some of mine. I'll have to post attachments though as I've been too lazy to figure out how to insert in a message yet....

The adorable little boy is my son Jacob....

I made a really cute Train Track cake and I can't find the photo....I'll post when I find it.

OMG - your cakes put mine to shame and your son is adorable and your kicthen is stunning!

dannyzmom said:
OMG - your cakes put mine to shame and your son is adorable and your kicthen is stunning!
Thanks. Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) ) I can send you the instructions for them if you want. I've got instructions for adorable little frog cup-cakes that I am just looking for an occasion to make them!

I love making cakes too. My daughter just turned 6 last week and she wanted to have a cheerleader party, so I made her a megaphone cake. I don't know how to put photos on here but if I figure it out then I can show you the picture of the cake. I ended up making 3 of the megaphone cakes for 3 different parties. I want to make a wedding cake, just to see if I can do it!!!!!!!!!

I can't just "make" a cake - but if you put a Wilton pan in front of me with the step-by-step instruction, I can do just abou tanything basic. The baseball cake is simply a two-layer round cake frosted white with red stitching.
Oh, and did I mention....my neighbors borrow my kitchen stuff a LOT. They borrowed my PC cake pans a few months ago - only borrowed two of the set of three. They returned them one day and DH put them away. Today I go to take the mout to make my son's baseball cake and you can see they baked their cakes in the pans...and rather than turn them out onto a platter, they served them right from the NONSTICK cake pan using a KNIFE to cut the slices - - 2 of my cakepans are TRASHED. The nonstick has big cuts in it and rust in each of the cuts. I am FUMING!

dannyzmom said:
I can't just "make" a cake - but if you put a Wilton pan in front of me with the step-by-step instruction, I can do just abou tanything basic. The baseball cake is simply a two-layer round cake frosted white with red stitching.
Oh, and did I mention....my neighbors borrow my kitchen stuff a LOT. They borrowed my PC cake pans a few months ago - only borrowed two of the set of three. They returned them one day and DH put them away. Today I go to take the mout to make my son's baseball cake and you can see they baked their cakes in the pans...and rather than turn them out onto a platter, they served them right from the NONSTICK cake pan using a KNIFE to cut the slices - - 2 of my cakepans are TRASHED. The nonstick has big cuts in it and rust in each of the cuts. I am FUMING!
I would not be happy either!

pamperedlinda said:
I would not be happy either!

Then they called today to see if they could borrow my vacuum - I was like NO WAY! What am I supposed to say the next time they ask for my cake pans? !??!?!

dannyzmom said:
Then they called today to see if they could borrow my vacuum - I was like NO WAY! What am I supposed to say the next time they ask for my cake pans? !??!?!
Tell her they were ruined by someone that you loaned them to and that you had to throw them away! Then tell her that she can host a show and get a set of her own!

pamperedlinda said:
Tell her they were ruined by someone that you loaned them to and that you had to throw them away! Then tell her that she can host a show and get a set of her own!

I just love the way you think!! ;)

You guys both make beautiful cakes!

Oh, and Linda, as soon as I saw the picture that showed your kitchen I was DROOLING! Gorgeous home!

Carolyn~ I can't believe they ruined your pans and then didn't even say anything!! DUH! I guess not everyone's mom taught them never to use metal utencils on a non-stick surface!

Linda,

I want to know how you made the frog legs. I collect frogs and this would be a good cake to have at my next birthday.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant

Trish1953 said:
Linda,

I want to know how you made the frog legs. I collect frogs and this would be a good cake to have at my next birthday.

Trish in Texas
Independent Consultant
Here are the instructions, it was really easy. The instructions for the froggie cup-cakes are there too....I think that they are absolutely adorable and I want to make those too!

Attachments

• frog cake.doc
    119.5 KB · Views: 440
KellyTheChef said:
You guys both make beautiful cakes!

Oh, and Linda, as soon as I saw the picture that showed your kitchen I was DROOLING! Gorgeous home!

Carolyn~ I can't believe they ruined your pans and then didn't even say anything!! DUH! I guess not everyone's mom taught them never to use metal utencils on a non-stick surface!
Thanks Kelly (and Carolyn) I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kitchen! We built our house 2 1/2 years ago and fell in LOVE with this plan b/c of the kitchen. I found the house in Southern Living magazine in 2002 ( http://www.southernliving.com/southern/homes/ideas/article/0,28012,322695,00.html ) and we built it (well, we didn't have the decorating budget that SL has! But it's mostly the same, just not as elegant)

OMG, can you say fabulous cakes Carolyn and Linda! I wish I had the baking talent to make my DDs birthday cakes!

And I love your kitchen Linda, it's gorgeous was my first thought!

I love all your cakes, but I wanted to comment on the children - man, Linda and Carolyn, you both have adorable children:D !

dianevill said:
...... Linda and Carolyn, you both have adorable children:D !
Yes, we do! Here's another of my cutie pie....we were making cookies this past Christmas.

Attachments

• PC170001.JPG
    PC170001.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 449
I loved your Clifford cake! I bet your hands were red for a week after that one! I think I saw a fire truck pan at Michaels.

Also, what I've done in the past....I've bought cake pans on ebay then after I used them I turned right around and sold them on ebay....I've either broken even or sold them for more than I originally paid for them! Great deal. I still have my Bob The Builder Pan if anyone is interested.

pamperedlinda said:
Yes, we do! Here's another of my cutie pie....we were making cookies this past Christmas.

He's a ham! Just way tooooo cute!

I made a Finding Nemo Cake for my son's first Birthday, this year will be a store bought cake. (That's just because on his birthday I will be 9 months pregnant) I made the little star things huge because I didn't want to spend alot of time decorating it.
http://media1.dropshots.com/photos/64366/20060808/212434.jpg

Tonia

I think your cakes are awesome.. they must be time consuming though... Worth it in the end and they mean so much more when you make them yourself! :)

This thread is making me nostalgic. My DS has never been much of a cake eater, and he's definitely not a frosting fan. So, from about the age of seven he chose not to have one of the fun cakes. Sometimes he chose a plain angel food cake. Sometimes he chose unfrosted brownies. Sometimes he chose no cake at all. The fun thing was that from 15 to 17, he had big pizza parties with lots of friends. The girls stayed late (depending on their ages at the time), and the boys spent the night. I gave them their space, but most of them came to me one or two at a time to tell me bad jokes and chat about what was happening in their lives. I think I enjoyed those parties as much as my DS did.

jrstephens said:
Since we are showing cakes we are proud of ourselves for, here is the thread from a Clifford I made

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/heres-my-clifford-cake-i-did-23697/

Linda, I LOVE the frog you made!

I am thinking fire truck for my son's next year.

Your Clifford is phenomenal!
How do you feel about doing red cakes? What kinda frosting do you use? I tend to shy away from red cakes because I find the red I was using years ago stained everything. What frosting recipe do you use? My 5yo is a Spiderman fan and I would love to do a cake for his bday but am afraid of the stain factor.

toniascookin said:
I made a Finding Nemo Cake for my son's first Birthday, this year will be a store bought cake. (That's just because on his birthday I will be 9 months pregnant) I made the little star things huge because I didn't want to spend alot of time decorating it.
http://media1.dropshots.com/photos/64366/20060808/212434.jpg

Tonia

Adorable!!!
And I kwym about the store bought cake during pregnancies thing -- that's what i always did. LOL

dianevill said:
Very cute, Tonia! I went to the website that's in the frog picture in an earlier post, Coolest Homemade Birthday Cakes - Thousands of Photos and Tips. There are some really cute ideas there!
Thanks, I forgot what the site was (duh....it's written on the photo! :p ) Anyhow a friend wanted me to make the butterfly cakes so I googled butterfly cake - she liked them so much she said how about a frog.....google is my friend! There are some really great cakes out there.

Nemo cake is really cute Tonia!

Carissidy said:
I think your cakes are awesome.. they must be time consuming though... Worth it in the end and they mean so much more when you make them yourself! :)
I always forget how much time they take. DH teases me about all the time I spend and it will be eaten in 10 mins! But the look on DS face is enough to make me do it again!

Everyone's cakes are adorable! I do cakes for everyboday and if I knew how to post, I would post some of mine. I actually did a wedding cake this weekend. I will have to try and figure out how to show some of mine off to you guys.

mpkegley said:
Everyone's cakes are adorable! I do cakes for everyboday and if I knew how to post, I would post some of mine. I actually did a wedding cake this weekend. I will have to try and figure out how to show some of mine off to you guys.
Mary~

Check out this post! http://chefsuccess.com/f18/photo-thread-14528/

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies