• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
Wow...the cakes are beautiful! And your boys are so adorable! Great job!

Here is a cake I did for my niece's 14th birthday, it was the first cake of this size that I had done before. It was white and blue royal icining with silver dust and rolled fondant numbers. The top layer was intentionally slanted and the numbers were made to look crazy. Oh, the theme was Winter Wonderland, her birthday is in December. It didn't come out as clean looking as I had wanted, but she loved it, which is all that matters!!

Attachments

• IMGP1015.jpg
    IMGP1015.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMGP1016.jpg
    IMGP1016.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 364
Wow Niki, that is AMAZING!! You did a fantastic job! I bet your son absolutely loved it!

What size was the cake? It looks huge!

Shawna, your cakes looks great too, the colours are so pretty, and I love how you did the numbers!

It was HUGE. I used 2 full sheet cakes (one chocolate and one funfetti) and cut out the circle, half from each. We had lots left over, but Zack, and his dad, loved it.

Here's my latest... It was for my DH's 30-something(!) birthday. Strawberry yogurt cake with strawberry buttercream. Yum!

Attachments

• cubscakesmall.jpg
    cubscakesmall.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 340
  • cubscaketopsmall.jpg
    cubscaketopsmall.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 369
AnnieBee said:
Here's my latest... It was for my DH's 30-something(!) birthday. Strawberry yogurt cake with strawberry buttercream. Yum!

Okay - that is SO cool!

But even more, I want the recipe for Strawberry Yogurt Cake w/ S-berry Buttercream!

Annabel - you do such amazing work - have you thought about doing this as a job?

Becky, I have to admit that the cake was not from scratch - I knew I couldn't pull off that and the decorating, plus, I didn't have a good recipe for a strawberry cake (which is what DH requested) so I thought it would do!

I used a betty crocker white cake mix, 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup oil, 3/4 cup water, 6oz (2/3 cup) strawberry yogurt. Mix all ingredients, pour into two greased and floured 9" pans. Bake at 350F for 25-30 mins.

I actually did 2 mixes, and divided it between a 8" and 10" (3" tall) pans. Because they were extra thick, I baked at 325F for about 45mins (I think!).

They came out nice and moist, and quite fluffy. I was expecting it to be a denser consistency, more like a pound cake.

To make the buttercream, I used 4oz Butter, 12oz powdered sugar and 1-2 Tbsp water. This is my standard buttercream (I made a double batch for two cakes). You can add vanilla, cocoa, orange or lemon extract/oil/juice if desired. For strawberry, I warmed up some strawberry jam in the microwave, pushed it through a strainer to get rid of the seeds, and mixed into the buttercream. I used as much as I needed to get a nice strawberry flavour. I guess you could use jelly, but I like jam better!

I split the cakes and spread some warmed strawberry jam on the top of the bottom layer, then spread butter cream (I don't like it too thick) on the underside of the top layer, then sandwiched them together, then I covered the top and sides (thinly) with buttercream. YUM!!

I have thought about making cakes as a job, sometimes I think it would be pretty fun, but it is really hard to do with the kids around, I end up doing alot of the decorating in the evenings (I usually make the fondant and buttercream and cakes during the daytime). And the cakes are very time consuming! I have been commissioned to do some for friends though, and I will keep doing that.

Also, I would REALLY need to take some classes and learn how to do things better, I am really SO far from being able to do the things the professionals do! I would love to take a proper course and learn how to make all of the beautiful flowers!!

Those pictures are gorgeous! What a great cake!​

AnnieBee said:
Becky, I have to admit that the cake was not from scratch - I knew I couldn't pull off that and the decorating, plus, I didn't have a good recipe for a strawberry cake (which is what DH requested) so I thought it would do!

I used a betty crocker white cake mix, 3 egg whites, 1/3 cup oil, 3/4 cup water, 6oz (2/3 cup) strawberry yogurt. Mix all ingredients, pour into two greased and floured 9" pans. Bake at 350F for 25-30 mins.

I actually did 2 mixes, and divided it between a 8" and 10" (3" tall) pans. Because they were extra thick, I baked at 325F for about 45mins (I think!).

They came out nice and moist, and quite fluffy. I was expecting it to be a denser consistency, more like a pound cake.

To make the buttercream, I used 4oz Butter, 12oz powdered sugar and 1-2 Tbsp water. This is my standard buttercream (I made a double batch for two cakes). You can add vanilla, cocoa, orange or lemon extract/oil/juice if desired. For strawberry, I warmed up some strawberry jam in the microwave, pushed it through a strainer to get rid of the seeds, and mixed into the buttercream. I used as much as I needed to get a nice strawberry flavour. I guess you could use jelly, but I like jam better!

I split the cakes and spread some warmed strawberry jam on the top of the bottom layer, then spread butter cream (I don't like it too thick) on the underside of the top layer, then sandwiched them together, then I covered the top and sides (thinly) with buttercream. YUM!!

I have thought about making cakes as a job, sometimes I think it would be pretty fun, but it is really hard to do with the kids around, I end up doing alot of the decorating in the evenings (I usually make the fondant and buttercream and cakes during the daytime). And the cakes are very time consuming! I have been commissioned to do some for friends though, and I will keep doing that.

Also, I would REALLY need to take some classes and learn how to do things better, I am really SO far from being able to do the things the professionals do! I would love to take a proper course and learn how to make all of the beautiful flowers!!

Do you make your fondant from scratch? I always buy the white and then just color what I need, but it is so expensive. If you make your own, is it hard? I'm like you, I don't have much time for the decorating, although I love it! It's hard to get the kids to leave me alone for the time needed to concentrate on cakes!

This is a graduation cake I made for a girl at work, their caps are all black, not very exciting, but it's what the college chose! I wish I would have gotten a better picture of the tassle, but they wanted to cut it and I didn't have time to get my usual hundred pictures! lol

Attachments

• IMGP1249.jpg
    IMGP1249.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 324
Here are the butterfly cupcakes I made for a wedding shower and the wedding. I hand stenciled all the butterflies using candy melts. You can't tell very good, but the wings are pointed up like they have just landed on the cupcakes.

Attachments

• IMGP1255.jpg
    IMGP1255.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 292
  • IMGP1257.jpg
    IMGP1257.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMGP1254.jpg
    IMGP1254.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
chefshawna said:
Here are the butterfly cupcakes I made for a wedding shower and the wedding. I hand stenciled all the butterflies using candy melts.

Oh, my, Shawna - those are beautiful! That must have taken so much time...I wish I had just a drop of the talent that those of you who do all the incredible cake decorating have!

AnnieBee said:

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!! You are really talented! Strawberry yogurt cake sounds so yummy! Going to keep reading and hoping you posted your recipe! lol

Great job....too bad you're too far away, or I'd be asking you to make our cakes! = )

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh, my, Shawna - those are beautiful! That must have taken so much time...I wish I had just a drop of the talent that those of you who do all the incredible cake decorating have!

Thank you!! They did take a lot of time, but it was fun! I can imagine them on alternating layers of a white wedding cake so they look like they are in flight. I told my husband we would have to get married again so I can make it!! LOL

ChefBeckyD said:

Same here Becky! For my son's 4th bday, he asked that I make him a cake from scratch.....I hadn't made one in almost 20 years! So I actually went out to buy cake tips, etc. ALL I tried to do was "Stars", figuring it was basic enough! Well, my son scratched his head and said, "well mom, we can just say they're alien guards!":blushing:

No skills here! :D

Becky - Hope you saw the recipe. I also remembered that I added zest of one orange to the cake (wish I'd used 2!) and it was a really nice compliment to the strawberry.

Shawna - I love the grad cake and those gorgeous cup-cakes. I remember seeing the candy melt idea somewhere... was it the whimsical bakehouse or confetti cakes?? Very cute, I'm going to have to try that sometime. For the grad cake, was the top of the cap fondant on card board, or did you use gum-paste?

I do make my own fondant, but I am really only finally getting the consistancy right as I am self taught (started in september) and have never used bought fondant (it's pricey, and everyone says that the wilton tasted horrible, although I have been dying to try satin-ice). I am realising now that I had been making my fondant too firm. It is so much easier when it is softer!!! It is not hard at all (just a little time consuming and messy!), especially once you know what the finished fondant should be like, in terms of consistency. For the Cubs cake, the blue fondant was from a batch of leftover fondant, and it was too dry, and just cracked at the back when I put it on the cake... Oh well, thankfully it looked good everyelse, just that one patch was bad! I feel as though I have really learned and improved, so I guess that is good!!

Got to run,

Annabel

AnnieBee said:
Becky - Hope you saw the recipe. I also remembered that I added zest of one orange to the cake (wish I'd used 2!) and it was a really nice compliment to the strawberry.

Shawna - I love the grad cake and those gorgeous cup-cakes. I remember seeing the candy melt idea somewhere... was it the whimsical bakehouse or confetti cakes?? Very cute, I'm going to have to try that sometime. For the grad cake, was the top of the cap fondant on card board, or did you use gum-paste?

I do make my own fondant, but I am really only finally getting the consistancy right as I am self taught (started in september) and have never used bought fondant (it's pricey, and everyone says that the wilton tasted horrible, although I have been dying to try satin-ice). I am realising now that I had been making my fondant too firm. It is so much easier when it is softer!!! It is not hard at all (just a little time consuming and messy!), especially once you know what the finished fondant should be like, in terms of consistency. For the Cubs cake, the blue fondant was from a batch of leftover fondant, and it was too dry, and just cracked at the back when I put it on the cake... Oh well, thankfully it looked good everyelse, just that one patch was bad! I feel as though I have really learned and improved, so I guess that is good!!

Got to run,

Annabel

Hey Annabel,

I did see the recipe - and I'm going to be making that cake! Ummmm, well, except for the awesome decorating, that is.:eek: Mine will probably have a butter cream or whipped cream frosting. I KNOW that DH would love it, so I'll make it for Father's Day for him.

Oh - and I'm glad that you remembered you added the citrus zest. Sometimes, with those little touches, boxed mixes can taste homemade!

Hey - are you going to be up this way again any time soon?

Actually, we have just about decided to go to MI for Memorial Day weekend. We weren't going to because Abbie has school and ironically isn't done 'til 2pm that Friday because of a field trip (normally she has am K that finishes at 11am), but we have decided that we really need to get out of town!!

Once we have figured out our plans I'll let you know if we'll anywhere close to you (I need to check if my BIL and SIL in Grandville are around that weekend). I would be really fun to get together again. I just met a lady last night who has a 4yr old called Micah!

Got to run, time to get the kids into bed, and Jon is out tonight...

Got a question for you all. I'm helping my neighbor make a ladybug cake for her daughter's birthday in a few weeks. Two thinks I am dreading though: Red & Black icing! I'm using buttercream. Any tips? I've heard some talk about using pre-prepared red - does it taste good? Any particular brand? I've never seen it at Michaels, where do you get it?

Hey Linda! I've used regular red cheap food coloring and it has been fine, but now I use the gel colorings - both wilton and a brand called americolor. I've never had a problem with flavour, but I know wilton does a no-taste red. I think Jennifer has used it, you could PM her if she doesn't answer here. I've never tried any pre-prepared buttercreams, no idea how they would taste.

Another idea - the one time I did a ladybug cake, I did red butter cream, and then for the spots did chocolate buttercream dots that were big (flat) swirls with a star tip. I'll have to try and dig up a photo for you. It was not one of my better cakes (If I remember rightly the red buttercream was not soft enough and I had problems spreading it nicely), but it was cute, and the chocolate frosting tasted yummy too!

Hmm, let me see what I can dig up...

OK, so here it is... It really wasn't a great cake, I remember having very little time to do it, but I liked the idea, even if the execution wasn't too wonderful!! The top layer was cut in half, and then the 2 pieces were off-set to make it look more like wings, so you could see some of the bottom layer (which was frosted with chocolate buttercream).

Oh, and that red was tinted with really cheap liquid red coloring, for what it's worth! I think reds might only be hard if you need/want a very strong bright "true" red.

Anyway, here goes...

Attachments

• LadybugCake2 2006 SMALL.jpg
    LadybugCake2 2006 SMALL.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 318
  • LadybugCake3 2006 SMALL.jpg
    LadybugCake3 2006 SMALL.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 345
I use the Wilton Gel colors and I have had no problems with them. I know I'll probably have to use the entire bottle (maybe 2) to get it red enough though. I was thinking of maybe using the chocolate dipped cookies as the spots (just pushing them into the icing) and I'm using licorice ropes for the tentacles and legs.

These are what I found on coolest birthday cakes website - not sure which one we are using yet. I have the sports ball pan so we're using that for the big lady bug and either putting it on top of another cake or making cupcakes.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/ladybug-cake-06.jpg http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/ladybugcake.jpg http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/ladybugcupcakes.jpg

Oh wow, those are soooooo cute!! Love using the ball pan! And those cup cakes are ADORABLE - those big eyes are just too cute!! And I think chocolate covered cookies sound so yummy!

I guess the good thing is that there isn't too much black, so you would need to colour too much frosting...

When are you going to be making it/them?

The birthday is June 12th - not sure when the party is, but sometime close to that date. The little girl will be turning 4. I'll post photos though.

Linda, I had to use almost the entire bottle of Wilton black paste for the grad. cake I did that was black. I started with chocolate and then added the black, it didn't change the taste at all. I haven't done anything with red, but I would try the no-taste red from Wilton because of how much you will have to use.

AnnieBee said:

Got to run,

Annabel

I did use cardboard covered in fondant for the cap and then more fondant for the tassle. The rest of the cake was just regular icing I colored black, I was in a hurry and didn't need stiff icing for any decorations. I will have to try making my own fondant next time, I hate buying it because of the cost but I've been too afraid to try making it. Where did you get your recipe? By the looks of your cakes you have definitely mastered using fondant, they are gorgeous!! I got the butterfly idea out of a cupcake book I got at A.C. Moore. I am making penquin cupcakes for a woman at work this week and will have to post those pictures.

Linda, you know we'll be waiting to see it!

Shawna, I make marshmallow fondant (MMF). I use one 1lb bag of mini marshmallows, one 2lb bag of powdered sugar (I don't use all of it, probably 1 1/2lb to 1 3/4lb (at the most)) and about 2 Tbsp water, and some crisco. I think there is a post at somepoint where I linked to some useful web-sites, I'll see if I can find it. You basically grease a lrage bowl with crisco, dump in the MMs and water, melt them in the microwave, stirring occassionally, add about half of the bag of sugar and stir, tip the whole bowl onto a well greased (with crisco) pastry mat (our works WONDERFULLY!) that has a good amount of powdered sugar on it, then coat your hands REALLY well with crisco and carefully knead in the powedered sugar into the goop from the bowl. The you just keep adding more pwdered sugar until you get to the right consistency and it is not too sticky, but not too firm. You keep coating your hand with crisco to keep it from sticking to you, and it helps the fondant too.

Now let me see if I can find the link...

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/questions-about-working-fondant-48367/#post602348

Oh, and penguins are so cute, I can't wait to see them!

AnnieBee said:
Linda, you know we'll be waiting to see it!

Shawna, I make marshmallow fondant (MMF). I use one 1lb bag of mini marshmallows, one 2lb bag of powdered sugar (I don't use all of it, probably 1 1/2lb to 1 3/4lb (at the most)) and about 2 Tbsp water, and some crisco. I think there is a post at somepoint where I linked to some useful web-sites, I'll see if I can find it. You basically grease a lrage bowl with crisco, dump in the MMs and water, melt them in the microwave, stirring occassionally, add about half of the bag of sugar and stir, tip the whole bowl onto a well greased (with crisco) pastry mat (our works WONDERFULLY!) that has a good amount of powdered sugar on it, then coat your hands REALLY well with crisco and carefully knead in the powedered sugar into the goop from the bowl. The you just keep adding more pwdered sugar until you get to the right consistency and it is not too sticky, but not too firm. You keep coating your hand with crisco to keep it from sticking to you, and it helps the fondant too.

Now let me see if I can find the link...

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/questions-about-working-fondant-48367/#post602348

Oh, and penguins are so cute, I can't wait to see them!

Thanks!! I will have to try and make that the next time I need some fondant! I might go ahead and make a cake just to try the fondant! I hope it tastes better than the other fondant!

O.k., here are the penguin cupcakes. I think they turned out pretty good. I don't know what happened to the one on the right, it's eyes look all crooked and crazy!! LOL I didn't even notice that until after I posted the picture!

Attachments

• IMGP1262.jpg
    IMGP1262.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 313
  • IMGP1271.jpg
    IMGP1271.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Very cute shawna! How did you make them? Are they solid fondant, or did you cover something?

I want to try penguins again, my first try was for a birthdy cake for my neighbours husband, I was just having fun trying some new things. It's on page 20, I think.

AnnieBee said:
Very cute shawna! How did you make them? Are they solid fondant, or did you cover something?

I want to try penguins again, my first try was for a birthdy cake for my neighbours husband, I was just having fun trying some new things. It's on page 20, I think.

Thanks! I was happy with the way they turned out. It's half of a mini doughnut and then a doughnut hole on top of a cupcake. You have to frost them all together and put them in the freezer to harden some, then you melt black icing in microwave and dip them in. I used canned icing because it melts better and has a shiny appearance after it dries. Then you add the belly, beak, feet, arms and eyes.

Too cute!!

IMG_9811a.JPG

My son Ethan's birthday is this weekend and this was his cake that I made him.

The grass is Edible Easter grass cut into smaller pieces.

Here's the ladybug cake that I made with my neighbor this morning.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 327
Very cute, it turned out great! I bet the little girl loved it!

I'm going to have to try that recipe that you posted too!

chefshawna said:
O.k., here are the penguin cupcakes. I think they turned out pretty good. I don't know what happened to the one on the right, it's eyes look all crooked and crazy!! LOL I didn't even notice that until after I posted the picture!

Oh my goodness, the penguins are sooo cute!

Here is my latest:

Father's Day 2009 Cake - Sugar Beer Bottles in Cooler. The bottles and ice are made from sugar/corn syrup, the lid is chocolate covered rice crispy treats and the cake is covered in buttercream and then candy clay. The caps and lables are from real beer bottles.

DSC_9951.jpg

Sugar beer bottles and ice. The bottles and ice actually got clearer and shinier after about 10 minutes in the sun - after the cake had already been cut.

DSC_9958.jpg

HOLY COW!!!! That is good Nikki!

WOW :eek: :love: :eek: :love:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm speechless! Wow. Wow. Wow!

Wow is all I can say. That looks awsome

Thanks! Now I have to figure out how to top it for my next cake.

That's incredible. Wow! You've got to tell us how you made those bottles. Are they blown sugar??? Where/how did you learn this???

I bet everyone LOVED it!

Looks awesome - what a talent you have! EAD was never intended to ice/decorate cakes, but to fill donuts, pipe whipped topping onto desserts and trifles and do devilled eggs (but be SURE to grind the eggyolks down very very fine or they get stuck in the tip!). For icing/decorating, use decorating bottles b/c they accept Wilton tips too.

I belong to cakecentral.com, just what we all need, another forum to spend hours on. They had a great tutorial on how to make the sugar bottles - and lots of other stuff. I made a mold of a real beer bottle, peeled the mold off, melted down the sugar/corn syrup and flavored it, poured it into the mold and then rotated the mold so the sugar coated the sides. After it cooled and hardened I peeled the mold off of the sugar bottle and added the labels and caps. It was actually not that difficult to do. I would like to learn to do the blown sugar.

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies