• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
I am impressed! They look awesome!

Wow!! Great job, I bet she loved it all!!

I think the tree frogs are cute!! Ok, I admit, if you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known what they were supposed to be, but since you did, I think they're adorable.

Well, thanks - they were yummy, anyway.

They look amazing!!! I'm so excited for the holidays coming up and trying new recipes :)

Very Cute! I wish I had that much talent! :)

Wow! I'm not as creative as all of you, but here is Kyle's cake!
janetupnorth-albums-kyguy-5-picture1190-kyles-cake.jpg
janetupnorth-albums-kyguy-5-picture1192-cake-candle.jpg

Nice train Janet, my son would love that for his birthday!

I have to come up with something for my DD's party on Sunday... And I am so busy right now!

She wants another butterfly, but also keeps changing her mind... I've been doing fondant lately (see my album!) and every one she sees she wants... But I'm a bit fondanted out lately... Tune in on Monday to see what I come up with!

AnnieBee said:
Nice train Janet, my son would love that for his birthday!

I have to come up with something for my DD's party on Sunday... And I am so busy right now!

She wants another butterfly, but also keeps changing her mind... I've been doing fondant lately (see my album!) and every one she sees she wants... But I'm a bit fondanted out lately... Tune in on Monday to see what I come up with!

What? She has another party?:D

I actually got the pan at walmart. It is a nice Nordicware heavy pan! I bought it because I'm SURE we'll use it again!

Well, her birthday with family was not *technically* a party :). We have always done a very low key party with a few of her friends (a little craft, ballons, music and dancing and some snacks and a cake), but of course we were away this year and last weekend was super busy. The problem is that she has been inviting all of her friends at school, so I kind of have to do something!! Plus I would still have to make her a "real" birthday cake, as on her birthday she just had cupcakes, and I do really like making them a special birthday cake.

So, wait for my post later this week saying "HELP! What food should I do for a party for six (or so) kindergarteners?"! LOL! Do you think they'd like the greek cheese torte or baked brie best? LOL!

AnnieBee said:
Well, her birthday with family was not *technically* a party :). We have always done a very low key party with a few of her friends (a little craft, ballons, music and dancing and some snacks and a cake), but of course we were away this year and last weekend was super busy. The problem is that she has been inviting all of her friends at school, so I kind of have to do something!! Plus I would still have to make her a "real" birthday cake, as on her birthday she just had cupcakes, and I do really like making them a special birthday cake.

So, wait for my post later this week saying "HELP! What food should I do for a party for six (or so) kindergarteners?"! LOL! Do you think they'd like the greek cheese torte or baked brie best? LOL!

How about the classic mini cheeseburgers?

Cheesy Bacon Bites are always a hit!Loaded Nachos?Carmel Apple Dip?Dill Dip?Deviled Eggs?Fiesta Cheese Torta?...and Becky, what are those breaded chicken bites you make Micah? I forget the name/book those are in...

I second the mini burgers. They are awesome!

Cheesey bacon bites sound good! What/where are they?

I'll probably do little pigs in blankets (lil smoky wrapped in half a small biscuit), chips, veggies and dip and one or two sweet things plus the cake. I'm all for keeping it simple!

Janet, I'll have to check out the train pan in walmart. Last year they had 2 or 3 nordicware designs "just for them", for about $18, I'm guessing they're doing it again. Did they have other shapes, or just the train? Last year I got a really cute castle pan that I have used a bit, and I think will use alot - it looks so cute and impressive! It's great for girls and boys, and also bake sales! My one problem is that I'm running out of room... I already have a plain and fancy bundt pan, the PC mini-fluted, and I just bought 12", 10" and 7" pans for making cakes for other people, as well as my "normal" 8" and 9" pans... HELP! Oh, and I got the torte pans for shows too... YIKES, it sounds like ALOT when I type it all out...

ETA: Enough hi-jacking, go back and check out Janet's cake everyone!

Last edited:
Cheesy Bacon bites are on CC. They are crescent rolls, bacon, cream cheese and a tad of onion. You can eliminate the onion for the kids, but I love it.The pan was about $18. They quality was great. I think they had 2 other shapes, but it was all about the train so I don't remember what they were. I figured I'll use it enough to justify having it!

janetupnorth said:
Cheesy Bacon Bites are always a hit!

Loaded Nachos?

Carmel Apple Dip?

Dill Dip?

Deviled Eggs?

Fiesta Cheese Torta?

...and Becky, what are those breaded chicken bites you make Micah? I forget the name/book those are in...

Two questions, Janet...
Do you use green onion in the Cheesy Bacon Bites?
And, have you actually made the Fiesta Cheese Torta? I've thought it sounded fantastic but haven't actually made it yet.

No, I use regular onion.
Yes, the Fiesta Torta is good too. I know Colleen Finley used to make it and recommend it.I think it is great for kids. :)

janetupnorth said:
Cheesy Bacon Bites are always a hit!

Loaded Nachos?

Carmel Apple Dip?

Dill Dip?

Deviled Eggs?

Fiesta Cheese Torta?

...and Becky, what are those breaded chicken bites you make Micah? I forget the name/book those are in...

Oh, YES! The Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Bites in the 29 Minutes Cookbook!

Those are so good, and kids love them! Even picky kids!

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh, YES! The Crunchy Whole Grain Chicken Bites in the 29 Minutes Cookbook!

Those are so good, and kids love them! Even picky kids!

I love these -- picky dh's love them too! Soooo very easy!

LOL... My nosey DD just came over and read your post as:

I love those pickle dish, love them too, so very easy. Then she got picky right.

So is your DH really a dish? :) I'm sure you think so!

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! Yes, he is quite a pickle dish indeed!

I done the Bacon Bites a while back but never realized they were on CC. I got them from somewhere esle a long time ago. I do not put any onion in mine.

My DS loves it when I make Buffole Bites. I take chicken tenders, cut them in chunks, marinate them in Dale's Hot Wing Sauce, then toss them in panko bread crumbs and bake them on the bar pan. He LOVES them and he is very picky! I am thinking of trying it with the already breaded popcorn chicken in the bag to make it even easier.

Those bacon bites sound good! And Janet, those other cake pans are too cute!

But seriously :)D) ladies, go back and check out Janet's cake! This thread has been majorly hijacked :). And thanks for all of the party food ideas. :)

The cakes are adorable, Janet! Way better than anything I could ever pull off!

So the party was yesterday, we had fun and I had the kids (6 of them) make the pretzel wreaths. I melted chocolate in a bunch of prep bowls and had lots of sprinkles, not just Christmassy ones, 'cause I figured it was really a birthday party. The kids had a lot of fun and did a great job! By the end of the party they were set enough to be put in bags for them to take home. I think I am going to have mine make some more for teacher gifts, and maybe for DD's bus drivers. And I'm hoping to make some of the turtle pretzel thingies too. Yum!

And I figured I should post my cake pics here, as this thread is really the right place for it :). I kind of winged it, and my pink buttercream was a disaster (too stiff and kept pulling off bits of cake as I spread it), but it looked pretty cute in the end.

(I posted about my great idea for making a small batch of mini-cupcakes in a different thread).

ButterflyCakeAbbie5thBirthday.jpg

AbbieCakeCropped.jpg

very cute! I like the idea of the cupcakes as the butterfly body.

Very cute Annie - what did you use to make the flowers?

janetupnorth said:
Very cute Annie - what did you use to make the flowers?

The flowers are made with fondant - I use homemade Marshmallow Fondant, thanks to someone (Kelly I think?) on this thread posting a link way back!

Normally I would cover the cake with fondant if I was doing fondant decorations, but I didn't have alot of time, and I have never fondant covered anything other than a round cake, so I wasn't sure I could pull it off!

To make the flowers, you just colour it, roll it out and use cutters, it's just like playing with play-doh!! I also have some lustre dusts that you can brush on to add some sheen/sparkle, they're so cool and pretty! These flowers were actually left over from a different cake that I made, and I was lacking in inspiration late on Saturday night, so when I remembered I had them I thought I'd see what it looked like sticking them on the butterfly instead trying to pipe something.

If you want any more info on the MM Fondant, let me know, it's pretty fun! And I have some great web-sites for ideas and also ordering cutters and other supplies (Joanns and hobby lobby have some of this stuff too).

Your cakes are lovely! I decorated cakes professionally for a while and I have to say that Wilton has the best tips. I would never use the PC Decorator bottles. They don't hold much icing- and their "accordion" style is a really bad design.

(Don't tell anyone)! I just bought an EAD, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thank you! This is a fun thread, I love checking in to see all the different cakes that everyone has made.

I have never tried the decorator bottles, but I got the EAD to use at shows and was suprised at how much I liked it for topping desserts with whipped cream. It is soooo much better than the more expensive Williams-SOnoma one that my neighbour has and she let me try. But I still prefer to use bags for icing :).

dannyzmom said:
Tomorrow is my son's birthday party so today I baked and decorated cakes for the party...my hand is SO sore...
DannysBday2007002.jpg

DannysBday2007003.jpg

DannysBday2007004.jpg

DannysBday2007001.jpg

Sorry the pictures are huge - I can't figure out how to make them smaller...

You need the resizer I gave you. Do you need it again. I'll get it from Kevin.

I must say there are some talented PC consultants on here. I am very impressed with the work. I am a professional cake decorator and also a cake decorating teacher...being doing this for 13 years. You'd all had received a diploma from me.

Thanks my3angels - I bet you've got some stuff that would really WOW us:)

Oooh, could you post some pictures my3angels? It's always fun to see other peoples cakes (and get some inspiration!).

Dannyzmom/Carolyn, if you're out there, could you re-size your pictures wherever they are stored? That way every post that has them "quoted" will also show them re-sized to not take up so much room and make them easier to see. Thanks!

I have a few more cakes in my album, and I'm going to be working on another baby shower cake in Feb (and probably some "practice" ones in the mean time...). I'm excited because it is for a girl. I'm tired of all of the blue cakes I've done (some for boys, and some to use up extra blue fondant, and some because I got the date wrong and had covered some cakes in blue before I realised I was a week early... YIKES!).

This one Kacey?

janetupnorth said:
This one Kacey?

Yes, thanks Janet

And, Anniebee! Your cakes are amazing! If it wasn't a sin to be jealous, I'd be UBER jealous of your cake making and decoration skills!

:) Way to go, you rock!

Thanks Kacey! Did you see this one? It's a recent one, and a current favourite of mine :)

Attachments

• penguinpolarbearcroppedsmall.jpg
    penguinpolarbearcroppedsmall.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
We celebrating DS birthday today. Here's the cake (fyi - it's supposed to be a Blue Angel's Fighter Jet)

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc293/lindachild/001-4.jpg

OK, I have a few recent cakes that I haven't posted here yet... Here goes!

The first was just for fun to try out stripes. The second was a baby shower cake for a chinese lady. It is the year of the ox, hence the topper. Unfortunately our camera had not been working well, so the colours are not great in the picture.

The last one was for my son's 4th birthday, the day after the big cake was due. I was a bit "caked out" and not overly inspired... Oh well, he liked it!

Attachments

• pinkstripeycake.jpg
    pinkstripeycake.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 412
  • oxcakesmall.jpg
    oxcakesmall.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 326
  • oxsmall.jpg
    oxsmall.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 334
  • luke4thBirthdaysmall.jpg
    luke4thBirthdaysmall.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 297
  • LukeStarCake.jpg
    LukeStarCake.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 319
And finally, I made cupcakes yesterday for my little DD's 2nd birthday. I had a couple of things I'd been wanting to try out, so it was fun to have an excuse to do them!

Attachments

• ChloeBirthdayChocolateFacesmall.jpg
    ChloeBirthdayChocolateFacesmall.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 307
  • ChloeCupcakesChocSmallest.jpg
    ChloeCupcakesChocSmallest.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 287
  • ChloePinkCupcakesSmallest.jpg
    ChloePinkCupcakesSmallest.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 388
  • ChloeCupcakesPlateSmallest.jpg
    ChloeCupcakesPlateSmallest.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 351
I love both of the different kinds! Looks like you DD loved them too!

My little guy just turned 4. Here is his cake... it is actually multiple small cakes made in a silicone mold. He loved it!

Attachments

• Georges cake4.jpg
    Georges cake4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 368
  • George n cake4.jpg
    George n cake4.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 318
Thanks Linda, I really liked you airplane too! My DS would think it is pretty cool!

Wow, there have been some really nice cakes posted since I last looked here. Love the cupcakes. Here is my latest cake. i was for my son's 5th birthday. He is obsessed with the X-Box 360 game Sonic Unleashed. This is basically a screen shot of the game. I had him play it and then literally took a picture of the TV screen and recreated it in cake. The large guy laying down and his club are made out of rice krispy treats and covered in candy clay. Sonic the hedgehog, the walls, plants, rocks and yellow diamonds are all made of candy clay and the cake itself is covered in buttercream. He loved it.

DSC_8950.jpg

DSC_8944.jpg

DSC_8960.jpg

Great cakes everyone! I need to upload some more of mine!

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies