• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

Thanks! Your cakes are fantastic! I am just the worlds greatest copy-cat....I cannot come up with this stuff on my own but I can copy most anyhting! (the elmo was from a wilton pan ;) )I can send you the instructions for them if you want.
My mom's recipe:

1 C (stick) Crisco
1 C (2 sticks) Butter - softened
dash of salt
Beat till creamy
2 1/2 C Powder Sugar
Beat
1 Egg White
Beat
1 tsp Vanilla
Beat
2 3/4 C Powder Sugar
Beat

This is by far my favorite frosting. You can add a little more powder sugar if you need it stiffer. This will not melt in the microwave - for pouring. That's why I used the canned stuff for that.

I don't think I posted this one yet, either. It is for my brother's best friend's 30th - like an extra little brother. He is single - if anyone's looking!;)

I made the boobs in prep bowls and just carved the rest from a rectangle.

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

that's awesome! how creative

thanks !

fikibiff said:
My mom's recipe:

1 C (stick) Crisco
1 C (2 sticks) Butter - softened
dash of salt
Beat till creamy
2 1/2 C Powder Sugar
Beat
1 Egg White
Beat
1 tsp Vanilla
Beat
2 3/4 C Powder Sugar
Beat

This is by far my favorite frosting. You can add a little more powder sugar if you need it stiffer. This will not melt in the microwave - for pouring. That's why I used the canned stuff for that.

THANKS!!

How much does this recipe make? (as in how many cups...or how much cake does it frost...enough for a layered 9" round for outside and inside?)

I'm not sure how many cups, but I think it does a layered 9". I think I used just 1 recipe to do the bikini cake.

Just thought I would share the cake I made for a surprise wedding reception for my son and his wife on the 4th of July---Linda

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/time2cook/stephenandchrisicake_001.jpg

That's very pretty!

Wow impressive cakes!!

I still have plenty of that cake left in my fridge, if you are in my area please come by and help me get rid of some--I'll never loose any weight if I keep eating the leftovers for breakfast!
I am in the middle of doing a K graduation cake for this afternoon. I guess I should get off of here and get working.

where in Va are you? I am in Chesterfield!

I hope this attachment thing works. It is my first time trying to attatch a picture to a post.

Here is a picture of the cake I made for my husband's birthday. He loves playing pool so I thought this was appropriate.

Attachments

• Picture 428.jpg
    Picture 428.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 356
that is totally cool!

They are all really cute !!!! Makes me think of my cakes I used to make for my kids. You all did a wonderful job.

I started a new thread but I want mine in this one too, so, I can be an official part of this thread instead of a looker!!

100_5320.jpg

100_5321.jpg

100_5336.jpg

WOW! Jen...they are GREAT!!! How did you make the pigs:confused:

Jen...that is FABULOUS!! It must have taken you HOURS to do that!

Ginger428 said:
WOW! Jen...they are GREAT!!! How did you make the pigs:confused:

I bought the toppers at ToysRus. They made the cupcakes so cute I thought. They are sugar coated marshmellows.

I am soo never posting any pictures of the cakes I make here:eek:

rennea said:
I am soo never posting any pictures of the cakes I make here:eek:

I'm right with you on that...(I don't even know what a "topper" is) :eek:

Ginger428 said:
I'm right with you on that...(I don't even know what a "topper" is) :eek:

It's what goes on top of the cake! teheeh! :p

I can bake all day long, I just don't have the patience for decorating!

Teresa Lynn said:
...Just bought the new large cupcake pan at Sur La Table by Wilton it is adorable it looks like a huge cupcake. check out sur la table I couldn't find it on Wilton or ebay

I found that pan at Wal-mart on clearance!!!!

Harrle said:
I found that pan at Wal-mart on clearance!!!!

Jealous! I want that pan, but not the cost that is associated with it!

I was on some of the cool cake sites recently and they suggest looking for the pans used on ebay.

For the Peeps in the north MPLS metro there is a cool cake decorating store in Fridley (Lynn's cakes and candies) and they rent all the "cool" cake pans, as well as just about any other size basic pan. I cannot get out of there for less than 30$.

etteluap70PC said:
I was on some of the cool cake sites recently and they suggest looking for the pans used on ebay.

For the Peeps in the north MPLS metro there is a cool cake decorating store in Fridley (Lynn's cakes and candies) and they rent all the "cool" cake pans, as well as just about any other size basic pan. I cannot get out of there for less than 30$.

Paulette - thanks for that info! I live not too far from there (about 10 minutes) so I may have to actually pop in there one of these days. on the other hand I may have to wait as it sounds like I am going to LOVE that store... hmm, maybe I'll have to take a friend to reign me in :)

GourmetGirl said:
Paulette - thanks for that info! I live not too far from there (about 10 minutes) so I may have to actually pop in there one of these days. on the other hand I may have to wait as it sounds like I am going to LOVE that store... hmm, maybe I'll have to take a friend to reign me in :)

Can you tell I LOoooove that store? LOL

It's right on Central Ave. South of Northtown mall. There is a Party store and a Book store in the same shopping center. (at least the last time I was down there anyway).

actually it's on University on the east side of the road... my cousin got her wedding dress from a place in that strip mall a 11 years ago... dang... now you have me picturing it... darn you! :)

Carolyn! You ROCK! Nice job on the cake...I bet when you closed your eyes for the night, you saw stars!

Martha Stewart ain't got nothin' on you girlfriend!
Sheryl

GourmetGirl said:
actually it's on University on the east side of the road... my cousin got her wedding dress from a place in that strip mall a 11 years ago... dang... now you have me picturing it... darn you! :)

Oh yeah.... Sory!!! Duh.... I have not lived over there for over 3 years...

Cool you know right where to go then :D

etteluap70PC said:
Can you tell I LOoooove that store? LOL

It's right on Central Ave. South of Northtown mall. There is a Party store and a Book store in the same shopping center. (at least the last time I was down there anyway).

Been there many times - yes it is off of University Ave. The bookstore is no longer there:( but the party store is. I get my hair cut in that same strip mall and if I plan it right I can usually hit Lynn's without the kids so I can enjoy looking instead of 'look Mom' over and over again. Allison make sure you call ahead for the hours - if they aren't open when you call there is a message as to what the hours are. Lynn's Cake & Candy Supplies, Spring Lake Park, MN 763.784.2186

GourmetGirl said:
Jealous! I want that pan, but not the cost that is associated with it!

Okay now that I checked out the Sur la Table website that is not the pan I got at Wal-mart on clearance - sorry!!:( The pan I got was for 6 jumbo cupcakes.
That pan looks cool too - but I agree not the price!

KellyTheChef said:
Nicki~

Allow the cake to cool, then wrap securely in saran wrap and freeze on a flat surface (like a sheet pan) I actually think cakes normally taste BETTER after being frozen! My neighbor (like a mom to me) does this and then frosts them straight from the freezer so she doesn't get too many crumbs.

Be careful if you do it that way, the moisture from the cake can mess with the consistency of your frosting and make it to watery once it thaws.

I guess we are finding out how many are in the MSP area today! LOL!

No way I could go in there with my kids.... and yes I forgot they have wierd hours too. My favorite thing to buy there is the instant royal icing mix. I love to use this durring the holidays for my cut out cookies. It is sooooo easy!!!!

dannyzmom said:
...Today I go to take the mout to make my son's baseball cake and you can see they baked their cakes in the pans...and rather than turn them out onto a platter, they served them right from the NONSTICK cake pan using a KNIFE to cut the slices - - 2 of my cakepans are TRASHED. The nonstick has big cuts in it and rust in each of the cuts. I am FUMING!

When you bake in the PC pans do you use those silver Magi strips around the outside?? I am taking a cake decorating class right now and they suggest using those for even baking. Not sure how they would work with our round cake pans.

jrstephens said:
THANKS!

I tried tinting some red but it did not work. Walmart has red icing I think it is Cake Mate that was perfet Clifford Red. It is already mixed up and in a package that you can buy tips to attach to it for the stars. It tasted really great too and not that awful taste you get from too much food coloring. It did not stain anything. What little red that was on my hand washed right off. Not like when I tried to tint my own with two bottles of dye that still did not have it Clifford red, UHHH!

I was told to first color your icing with pink and then use the red and you should be able to get a darker red. By doing this first the red will have something to 'grab onto' so to speak. Same with black - I think she said to try grey - but depending on the other colors of your cake maybe able to use brown or purple?? I had the same problem when I tried to make flag cupcakes for the 4th of July.

those cakes are all so cute. I remember when i did that for my kids till my hands can't do it anymore thanks for sharing wonderful work.

ooooo....you all are so creative!!! :D I've never been that ambitious on cake, but I have had students remake some art masterpieces and we loved eating them in class. And once a student taught the class how to decorate cakes. The whole class loved it! They each decorated their own cupcakes. Some of course loved the icing going straight from the decorator to their mouths. (jr. hi. kids can be so fun!)

Check out this listing on ebay for 45 pans. Item # 200240156236

Specifically look at the second picture (top right corner photo), the two pans to the top left of the photo. They have them listed as "misc. adult themed - 2 different (see photos)" OMG - I would have never thought those would exist!!!

Those crack me up... and I will admit we always have one of those at every bachelorette party :) One of my friends who was pretty innocent (she had to ask the definition of whoopie at the party! :) ) was totally embarrased by the cake, but had a good laugh.

GourmetGirl said:
Those crack me up... and I will admit we always have one of those at every bachelorette party :) One of my friends who was pretty innocent (she had to ask the definition of whoopie at the party! :) ) was totally embarrased by the cake, but had a good laugh.

I guess I never thought there was a pan for those, I thought they were something you would have to carve out of a regular shaped cake!!!

Harrle said:
Okay now that I checked out the Sur la Table website that is not the pan I got at Wal-mart on clearance - sorry!!:( The pan I got was for 6 jumbo cupcakes.
That pan looks cool too - but I agree not the price!
Check out this link to Joann's I think this is the jumbo pan we were talking about. It is on sale this week!! I don't think they have these in stores though - just on line...but $25 is still cheaper than $30!!Wilton Dimensions Large Cupcake Pan

Last edited:
Yard sales and thrift stores are also great places to find baking pans for super cheap! I love it!

I just bought the topsy turvy cake pan on ebay tonight for only $10.00. I am going to use it next month for my DD High School Musical birthday party.

I get my themed pans off Ebay for half of what they are on Wilton. If the instructions you need are not with the pan, you can download current and retired pan instructions off Wilton.

jrstephens said:
I get my themed pans off Ebay for half of what they are on Wilton. If the instructions you need are not with the pan, you can download current and retired pan instructions off Wilton.

ooh, thanks for that tip! I didn't know they had that info on the website.

I had been looking for a mini dough nut pan everywhere. I would find them and they were $15-20!! I just happened upon the baking isle at a thrift store ( I was actually looking for my Dad) and there was a pan that looked like new for $3.00. I love good deals! :p

Harrle said:
Check out this link to Joann's I think this is the jumbo pan we were talking about. It is on sale this week!! I don't think they have these in stores though - just on line...but $25 is still cheaper than $30!!

Wilton Dimensions Large Cupcake Pan

I did find this pan at a Joann's store and used the 40% off of $30.99!!!:D:D:D

dannyzmom said:
Tomorrow is my son's birthday party so today I baked and decorated cakes for the party...my hand is SO sore...
DannysBday2007002.jpg

DannysBday2007003.jpg

DannysBday2007004.jpg

DannysBday2007001.jpg

Sorry the pictures are huge - I can't figure out how to make them smaller...

OMG, VERY NICE!!!! :thumbup:

You are really good! :chef:

I have some new cakes to post. My DD turned 6 and we did an "Alix the Up North Girl" theme - taken from "Bindi the Jungle Girl." She LOVES all creatures. I took tons of pix of her with bugs, fish, snakes, frogs, turtles, etc and made a poster board of all of them. Then I made a frog cake and these great little bug cakes. I got the bug pan from William Sonoma and used a bear pan for the frog. A week earlier I made my own version of the Oreo truffles and covered them in green candy coating. They were supposed to be tree frogs, but they looked much cuter in my head. Oh well, my DD knew what they were and said everyone liked them at school. I used marshmallow cream instead of cream cheese to hold the cookie balls together.

DSC_7080.jpg

DSC_7068.jpg

DSC_7075.jpg

DSC_7125.jpg

DSC_7029.jpg

<h2>1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?</h2><p>One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?</h2><p>Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!</p><h2>3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?</h2><p>You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.</p><h2>4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?</h2><p>One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.</p><h2>5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?</h2><p>Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!</p>

Related to Baking for My Son's Birthday Party: Tips and Tricks

1. How can I prevent my hand from getting sore while baking for my son's birthday party?

One way to prevent hand fatigue while baking for a party is to take breaks and stretch your hands and fingers periodically. You can also try using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer instead of hand mixing everything.

2. What are some tips for decorating cakes for a birthday party?

Start with a crumb coat of frosting to seal in any loose crumbs before adding the final layer of frosting. Use a piping bag and different tips to create fun designs and patterns. And don't be afraid to add sprinkles or other toppings for extra flair!

3. How can I resize the pictures of my baked goods for online sharing?

You can use photo editing software or online tools to resize your images. Some popular options include Adobe Photoshop, Canva, and PicMonkey. You can also adjust the image size settings on your phone or camera before taking the pictures.

4. Do you have any suggestions for making the baking process more efficient?

One way to make baking for a party more efficient is to plan and prep ahead of time. Make a list of all the recipes and ingredients you will need, and prepare any ingredients or decorations the day before. This will save you time and make the baking process smoother.

5. What are some fun and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party?

Cupcakes, cake pops, and decorated sugar cookies are all popular and easy treats to make for a children's birthday party. You can also get creative with simple recipes like rice crispy treats, chocolate covered pretzels, or fruit skewers. And don't forget about classic favorites like brownies or chocolate chip cookies!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • akrebecca
  • General Chat
Replies