• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Asked to Do Vendor Fair, Is This Wierd?

In summary, this woman is asking the vendors to give her the host benefits and pay for advertising. She is offering to pay the vendors, but is asking for more than the hosts typically get.
KayPT
So I was called last week to be part of a home expo at a local business who is trying to get people to come in. She said she would do the advertising, etc. She called today telling me that she wants the host benefits, me to bring an appetizer, etc., and for me to pay $23, since she isn't charging a table fee. What?? Normally if I pay a table fee I keep the benefits, etc. Should I back out or stick with it? I don't anticipate a great attendance, but you never know. We are in a small community, 9000 people on an island, so I also don't want to burn any bridges either. Thanks!

If the $23 isn't a table fee, than what is it?

Yes, this sounds a little weird. If you are paying to be there, then you shouldn't have to give her the host benefits. Is she asking ALL of the participants to give her the host benefits? If so, then it sounds like she's using this as an opportunity to rake it in, not to bring business in, as she originally proposed.

Sounds fishy to me.

Tell her you'll either pay a fee or give the host benefits, but not both.

I wouldn't do it. What she's asking for is for you to go above and beyond to give her everything she wants. No thanks! That's not how "normal" vendor opportunities work.

If she's getting the host benefits she also needs to pay for the ingredients. We are not in the catering business. And where did she come up with $23? $20 or $25 would sound like a number that they are pulling out of the air. $23 is calculated some how. Maybe she's being charged a venue fee and is splitting it among the vendors? Either way, $23 is pretty cheap advertising. ;)

If you want to keep from offending her, just tell her that you don't market for sales at your booths... that your goal is "bookings" and that you don't expect for there to be any host benefits. ;) ... But if she would like to host a Cooking Show or Catalog Show to earn the things on her wish list for free and at a discount, that you would love to help her! :)

Sheila said:
If you want to keep from offending her, just tell her that you don't market for sales at your booths... that your goal is "bookings" and that you don't expect for there to be any host benefits. ;) ... But if she would like to host a Cooking Show or Catalog Show to earn the things on her wish list for free and at a discount, that you would love to help her! :)

That's great!

Oooh, I like the way Shiela put it - you don't do cash & carry, your goal would be future bookings, and you don't expect any host benefits.

About the appetizer, I would back down on that, too. I mean what if she springs it on you that she is expecting appetizers for 100 folks? Offer to give out recipe cards instead (and have your contact info on each one).

Yes, KayPT, it does sound weird, even the $23 "not a table fee" but "I will say I'm paying for advertising and charge you $23 fee".

There are some places where I would go ahead and pay the $23, if I thought it would be the right demographic. Such as quite a few women 25-60 yrs old or a cooking group, is all that comes to mind right now. A demographic of more single folks looking at electronics, I would pass.

You can ask her about the expected demographic and either say sure, or say it doesn't fit your business plan.

Thanks! :D

Thanks everyone. I will talk to her; but I just had to run it by you all first to make sure I wasn't off base. After all, it is her business, and she is the one trying to get people there; I hear it isn't doing too well. Thanks again!!

Did she say what the $23 was for?! I agree with the other ladies! She either gets money or the host benefits but not both.

Ooooh.....update us on this one. Sounds fishy to me. I'm curious to see what she says the $23 is for.

she is also assuming you get orders at the fair..
at fairs, you may get orders, you may not..
you may get contacts for parties, you may not..
or you may get nothing...

have to take the good with the bad or ugly at fairs.. :)

Sheila always has the right words. It sounds a bit demanding for me as well. I would be curious to hear about how this conversation went as well.

Me too, I'm curious how this pans out.

So what happened? :)

I am very curious to hear what went down with this..Please do fill us in:chef:

Well, I ended up telling her that I will pay the $23 but that means I get to keep the hostess benefits. I offered to bring Raspberry sauce if she brings crackers and cream cheese. The $23 was for advertising apparently. Well, we had maybe 10 people show up! It was a total bust. No sales, however there were several people who said they would order later; we'll see. I did get a party though, actually a trade off with a woman who does B's purses. Her party is in November so it will count towards SAT though so that is great! I ended up not giving her anything for a door prize, and she didn't really ask. So, thank you all for helping me to stick up for myself; and I was very nice and professional about it as well. You should have heard her trying to finagle the Lia Sophia benefits; but even she didn't get any sales. So it turned out to be an ok night, and I got to talk to some other really nice vendors at least.Thanks for all the help; I really appreciate you all!

1. What is a vendor fair?

A vendor fair is an event where various businesses and vendors gather to showcase and sell their products or services to potential customers. It is an opportunity for businesses to reach a larger audience and increase brand awareness.

2. Why am I being asked to participate in a vendor fair?

You may be asked to participate in a vendor fair because you are a representative of Pampered Chef and your products align with the theme or target audience of the event. It is also a great way to promote and market your products to a new audience.

3. Is it weird to participate in a vendor fair?

No, it is not weird to participate in a vendor fair. It is a common and effective way for businesses to showcase their products and reach potential customers. It can also be a fun and interactive way to promote your brand and connect with other businesses and customers.

4. How do I prepare for a vendor fair?

To prepare for a vendor fair, make sure you have enough inventory of your products, promotional materials, and business cards. It is also important to have a visually appealing and organized booth set up. You may also want to research the event and its attendees to better tailor your products and approach.

5. What are the benefits of participating in a vendor fair?

Participating in a vendor fair can have many benefits such as increasing brand awareness, reaching a new audience, networking with other businesses, and potentially generating sales. It is also a great opportunity to get feedback and insights from customers and make new connections.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Daniellekw
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Daniellekw
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • deanna_g