• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Won't Be Doing This Vendor Fair Next Year...

In summary, the organizer scheduled the event from 12-8pm, didn't send out any information, didn't let us know how much to pay until the day before, didn't tell us how much space we would have, etc etc. It was just awful. It was hardly advertised. We had about 50 people in all day. I did manage to get $130 in orders and book a show. But it was very frustrating and there were only 7 vendors there!
deanna_g
The organizer scheduled the event from 12-8pm, didn't send out any information, didn't let us know how much to pay until the day before, didn't tell us how much space we would have, etc etc. It was just awful. It was hardly advertised. We had about 50 people in all day. I did manage to get $130 in orders and book a show. But it was very frustrating and there were only 7 vendors there! Ugh. A Sweets Shop, me, Gold Canyon Candles, Beauti Control, Tupperware, Scentsy, and Lia Sophia. That's it. It was lame. And EVERYONE was packed up and gone between 5 and 6. Even the coordinator (who was a Beauti Control Consultant).

That stinks. I had one like that last year for my day job... about a dozen vendors... probably more vendors than participants.

Look at the bright side you added a booking to your calendar
And its someone outside your loop!
that can be a potential gold mine

$130 in sales!! a Booking!!! I would say that is a good day!!
what do you guys usually get from vendor events.

I worked an event yesterday that had 15-20 vendors, is an annual event and it was dead. I could not pay anyone to book a show. Only good part was I met some nice ladies and sold $40 worth of my cash and carry.

Deanna, It might have been booring but for what it was I would considder your event a success!

I too did a "dead" event yesterday. I got about $100 in orders (which is huge for me - I don't promote sales at such events - just bookings and leads) and one possible booking though. I also got a few new people to add to my NL list so it wasn't a total loss.

I agree with others that considering what you've posted, the event was a success for you, but I also agree with not doing it again next year. Plus, you've learned a LOT about what questions you'll ask before booking another booth!

Oh yes....for me the booth proved to be worth it. But it's not worth my hassle to deal with. It was a vendor only fair (dumb) and there were only 7 vendors (also dumb). I always offer 10% off of orders at my booths and that seems to sell items for me. The lady that booked was the Gold Canyon vendor who was sitting next to me and extremely nice. I bought a candle from her (and MAN does it smell amazing!) after she booked with me. Every candle show I've had was a flop, so I figured that purchasing something from her would help her out. :)

I would not be doing it again either Deanna. You never know what that one contact will do for you. :)

I was always leery of vendor events 'coordinated' by a rep from a DS company. Some may be able to pull it off, but generally they always seemed to be lame (and of course, she always had the primo spot).

This makes me feel better about turning one down recently. It too was organized by a beauti control lady.
Sorry it was a bummer for you, but at least you got one booking.

I wish I could get just one booking from the one that I do every year..I only ever do that one..and it is because it is my church bazaar.

I did two events this past week.

One had around 200-300 people in a three hour slot it was insane! I sold $100 worth of stuff, I have only one booking lead (but I havent followed up yet so I may have more) I also passesd out tons of mini catalogs and business cards, several people said they would order but we will see I guess!

The second one was 5hrs long and I probably only had 50-75 people and I sold over $300 worth of products, got 2 booking leads and 1 fundraising lead and I havent followed up yet. I also think I may have someone intrested in joining.

Needless to say being busy isnt always best. with the smaller one I was able to write notes on the back of there drawing slips for more effective follow up. That being said I completly understand not doing it again because honestly a few people can be better then tons but that is only if it is the RIGHT few people :) Glad you got something out of the day though.

I have done several vendor events and now that we can promote events on Facebook, I create an event in Facebook about the event. I send out flyers (that I create) to my customer base with a special on it if they attend and purchase from the event. Also, post the event in your website!! Give them a "code" word to say and give them a discount (i.e., Free Shipping, $10 off, etc.). Don't forget to take advantage of free "community publications" that will let you promote your event. Toot your own horn! I found that I can't always depend on the coordinators to do the advertising. Don't say "no" to this event just yet for next year. Give it a chance and maybe offer to take over the event as coordinator next year or help out the coordinator to make it better. Just my thoughts.

I only pray that my booth at a local craft fair goes this well. I cannot get any of my friends to book shows...so I need to meet people outside of my circle.

I too got asked by a Mary Kay consultant to do a vendor show at hers(or another ladies house) I was leary about that request...I just can't see how there would be sufficient space and parking to accomadate people, and the other vendors. I would be willing to do one if it were at a "public" location but probably not at a residence...any thoughts on that one ladies?

I never found that the ones in homes were very successful. Depends completely on the contact base of the host since many people may not feel comfortable showing up at a home of someone they don't know. I have had success at shows organized by other consultants though. I do ask for the list of vendors asap and send it out with my newsletter. I always include a coupon for a free gift with order. That ranges from our reusable shopping bag to season's best to quikut paring knife or some cash n carry that I don't really want (usually outlet stuff that came with something I really wanted). If it's a pricey item, I just offer is at a reduced price.

I always have several of my customers come to my booth. I too had a big craft fair this weekend and it was great. I have over $200 in orders so far and sold several cash n carry items. I think b/t my friend that was helping and I, I have almost 150 who spoke with us and filled out a drawing slip. I do NOT just have them out. To get one, I need to have some contact with them. I give a $25 gift certificate. It was very busy and fun.

My girlfriend hosted a private vendor show last fall. I was there with PC, she had Tupperware and Usborne books. She presented it to her friends as an afternoon out and an easy way to get a start on your Christmas Shopping. I don't know how the other two did, but I had $600+ in sales. It was a very good show.

It depends on the host's contacts. She is active in her neighborhood and community and is married to one of the top patent attorneys in the country. Her friends and neighborhood can support that kind of party.

jla8279 said:
I have done several vendor events and now that we can promote events on Facebook, I create an event in Facebook about the event. I send out flyers (that I create) to my customer base with a special on it if they attend and purchase from the event. Also, post the event in your website!! Give them a "code" word to say and give them a discount (i.e., Free Shipping, $10 off, etc.).

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for this idea!! I've been asked to participate at a local Catholic school's "holiday shopping" event next week. I believe it is an annual thing, tho it will be my first time there. This would be a great little "twist" on it!! :)
Any suggestions for my special for this one?? Hmm....I'm thinking about a December booking, or even a January booking one.....
Anyway, thanks again!! Love the facebook idea!!:love:

What are the benefits of participating in vendor fairs?

Participating in vendor fairs can provide exposure for your business, potential new customers, and networking opportunities. It can also be a great way to showcase and sell your products in a face-to-face setting.

Why would someone not want to participate in a vendor fair again?

There can be a variety of reasons why someone may not want to participate in a vendor fair again. Some common reasons include not generating enough sales, not reaching their target audience, or not feeling like the cost of the fair was worth the return on investment.

What are some alternatives to participating in vendor fairs?

There are several alternatives to participating in vendor fairs, such as hosting your own events, partnering with other businesses for joint events, utilizing social media and online marketplaces, and participating in virtual fairs or trade shows.

How can someone make the most out of a vendor fair experience?

To make the most out of a vendor fair experience, it is important to plan and prepare beforehand. This can include promoting the event on social media, creating visually appealing displays, offering exclusive deals or promotions, and engaging with potential customers in a friendly and informative manner.

What should I consider before deciding to participate in a vendor fair or not?

Before deciding to participate in a vendor fair, it is important to consider the target audience, location, cost, and potential return on investment. It is also helpful to research the past success of the fair and gather feedback from other vendors who have participated in the past.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefNelson
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
ChefNelson
  • manderyoder
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
  • Fluffy215