• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Argh - Guest With Finanacial Issues

In summary, the guest's payment was declined and she does not have the money to pay JMHO. She says she will bring the money to the show this coming Saturday.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
ARGH

Had a great show early this month...$1200+ in sales

One of the guest paid with a check. I deposited the checks, waited 3 days and then submitted show.

After like 4-5 days I find out her check bounced.

Show has already been submitted at this point.

I call HO and they say they can change her form of payment to credit card (get a cc # from her) and they'll credit the $ back to my PC Visa. So, that's what I did.

While I was in DC, host called to say show has been delivered - all is well.

Yesterday evening I get a call from HO telling me the guest's CC was declined.
Well...she already has her products!

I call guest today - she says she doesn't get paid until July 3rd and has $12 to her name 'til then.

HO says I can have FedEx p/u her stuff & cancel her order or wait til July 3rd and have them re-run her card then - it's up to me. At this time PC has payment for her order (they've charged it to MY Pamp Chef Visa!!)

What would you do? Wait til July 3rd (10 days away) or have FedEx go pick up her order? (It's $61.50 in commissionable sales)

Oh - and PS this guest will be at my show this coming Saturday and has assured me she'll bring me my $20 bank fee for her bounced check.

First time, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. But when 7/3 hits, that's it, no payment, get the stuff picked up - it is still within 30 days right?The saying goes...fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Kindness once may have bought you a customer for life, she may truly be in a bad situation just once. After that though, be wise!JMHO...

How is she going to bring you $20 if she only has $12 to her name?! That's a tough situation. I personally would only take cash from her for now on!

Time to give the customer two choices:

1. She can borrow money from a family member or friend and give you cash.

2. FedEx can pick up the products and she can reorder when she has cash to give you.

I do not think you should spot her the money. There will be another excuse for her not to pay you when she gets paid.

He-he - I'm giggling at your mood Carolyn!

wadesgirl said:
How is she going to bring you $20 if she only has $12 to her name?! That's a tough situation. I personally would only take cash from her for now on!

She told me, and I quote, "I set aside the $20 I own you and all I have to my name until the 3rd is $12."

I know she's a single mom with a teenaged son and a sucky ex-DH.
But...WHY spend $ you don't have when you're already in a pinch??? KWIM??

dannyzmom said:
She told me, and I quote, "I set aside the $20 I own you and all I have to my name until the 3rd is $12."

Why do we say DH when they are sucky? Wouldn't he just be an ex-H then? ;)

(Sorry, pensive seems to be a fitting mood for me...)

dannyzmom said:

I am not feeling very friendly right now.

Let's say she went to Walmart and her payment was declined. She decides to take the products even though she did not pay for them. That is called SHOPLIFTING!

Sorry this happened to you Carolyn. Truly a yucky situation.

dannyzmom said:

I had a guest like that once. I called about her declined cc and asked to check to make sure I had the number down right. She said "No, I'll have to give you cash!". No question to it, she knew when she placed the order that she didn't have any money.

Maybe she figured that you wouldn't be after her this hard.

wadesgirl said:
I had a guest like that once. I called about her declined cc and asked to check to make sure I had the number down right. She said "No, I'll have to give you cash!". No question to it, she knew when she placed the order that she didn't have any money.

Maybe she figured that you wouldn't be after her this hard.

Hmmmm...I replied to this already but my reply seems to have disappeared.
Anyway - what I said was ...
I realize now that the CC# she gave me was the DEBIT card attached to the checking account off of which she bounced a check. She knew it was no good. She was just buying time. The more we discuss this, the less sorry-for-her I feel and the more I realize I was being duped. My emotions behind this are revolving around sell-a-thon and the fact that this was a $61.50 order toward sell-a-thon and I don't want to lose the order :(

The more I hear the facts, I would agree that you already gave her the benefit of the doubt and now IS the time to be smart and lay down the rules.You gave her an extra chance with the card...now she IS using you.Stand firm, sell-a-thon will come if it is meant to be.

I would rather buy $60 worth of products for myself that I would have in my hands then let her use all the products for free and probably never pay you!

Oh man, that sucks! I had a similar situation happen to me once and it was hard to deal with. Good luck Carolyn!

janetupnorth said:
Why do we say DH when they are sucky? Wouldn't he just be an ex-H then? ;)

(Sorry, pensive seems to be a fitting mood for me...)

....or ex-SH?? ;)

Tell her since she is going to be at this show this weekend to bring the products back to you and she can "buy" them when she can give you cash for them. Tell her this came out of your pocket and you cannot afford it, much like she couldn't!

If she doesn't come to the party I'd call her and tell her that PC is going to pick up the products and if she does not have them outside when they come that you have no choice but to possibly contact the police for theft of products w/o payment.

Get tough and maybe she'll come through for you. (and if all THAT fails I'd run her card again asap next Friday, you have her card number now and you WILL get that money back somehow!)

wadesgirl said:
I would rather buy $60 worth of products for myself that I would have in my hands then let her use all the products for free and probably never pay you!

I second that! I think she's had her chance. Although, easier said then done. Knowing me, I would be waiting 'til the 3rd...gotta get myself a backbone....LOL! :rolleyes:

I also need to mention that she lives over an hour away from me...so my best bet really would be to have FedEx p/u the products. And the bank off of which she wrote her check...also over an hour away.

I would tell her that you need her to either bring the products or full payment in cash to the show on Saturday (AND your cost for the overcharge). Tell her that you can't cover it and give her suggestions on how she can get the money from a friend or something. Of course, you understand that she's in a bind but you are running a business.

If she lived closer you could hold them for her until payment but that's not an option with the distances you live from each other and you could lose the 30 day return window.

If she purchases at this show ONLY accept cash payment.

This may sound harsh but you will say it in your nice way. :p

BethCooks4U said:
I would tell her that you need her to either bring the products or full payment in cash to the show on Saturday (AND your cost for the overcharge). Tell her that you can't cover it and give her suggestions on how she can get the money from a friend or something. Of course, you understand that she's in a bind but you are running a business.

If she lived closer you could hold them for her until payment but that's not an option with the distances you live from each other and you could lose the 30 day return window.

If she purchases at this show ONLY accept cash payment.

This may sound harsh but you will say it in your nice way. :p

PERFECT. Thanks Beth!!
Now I just need to find a nice way to say it - I am not feeling so nice toward her right about now.

dannyzmom said:
PERFECT. Thanks Beth!!
Now I just need to find a nice way to say it - I am not feeling so nice toward her right about now.

Don't blame you for not feeling nice towards her. She's an outright theif to do something like that. I feel bad talking bad about her without even knowing her but she's probably somebody who's used to tweeking the system to get their way. Putting your foot down will be the best thing.

What I don't understand is why HO didn't tell you that the card was no good when you gave them the number? I thought they ran payment info at the time you gave it to them.

pamperedlinda said:
What I don't understand is why HO didn't tell you that the card was no good when you gave them the number? I thought they ran payment info at the time you gave it to them.

I thought so, too :(

chefsteph07 said:
(and if all THAT fails I'd run her card again asap next Friday, you have her card number now and you WILL get that money back somehow!)

That is a SUPER good idea! She did authorize you to charge her card so you should definitely try again. Granted you may be out the $20 fee :( but you'll still have the $60 sale.

pamperedlinda said:

They probably have batch processing so it wouldn't have gone immediately, probably an hour or so later when off the phone.

If it is an immediate thing, places sometimes authorize $1 to make sure the card is good. She might have had that clear, but when the $60+ hit it declined.

BethCooks4U said:

I totaly agree with what Beth said. You definately want to get the product back in hand.

Update - I just called her and told her I need the cash or the products on Saturday and she assured me she'd bring one or the other. She said she is going to ask her son if she can borrow the $ from him and then pay him back on the 3rd when she gets paid. She apologized up & down, too. We'll see what happens Saturday...

dannyzmom said:
Update - I just called her and told her I need the cash or the products on Saturday and she assured me she'd bring one or the other. She said she is going to ask her son if she can borrow the $ from him and then pay him back on the 3rd when she gets paid. She apologized up & down, too. We'll see what happens Saturday...

Good for you! Hopefully she'll realy come through. I wouldn't expect an order Saturday. If she does order have her write the check to the host.

BethCooks4U said:
Good for you! Hopefully she'll realy come through. I wouldn't expect an order Saturday. If she does order have her write the check to the host.

I was thinking more along the lines of telling her CASH ONLY for anything else she purchases from me.

dannyzmom said:
I was thinking more along the lines of telling her CASH ONLY for anything else she purchases from me.

Exactly! But if she doesn't have it with her at least if the check is to her friend the friend can deal with it.

BethCooks4U said:
Exactly! But if she doesn't have it with her at least if the check is to her friend the friend can deal with it.

True true...

OMG! Bethcooks4u - you put a picture up! I have been seeing posts by this "new" person all day & then I flipped back to see who & where she was from...Its Beth! I know I sound crazy but I really was thinking someone new was really getting into the posting thing. lol

Oh Carolyn! I'm so sorry this happened. Be sure to stand firm with her on Saturday, if she shows. However, I have a feeling she won't show. Sounds too fishy for me. Usually when people are broke or short on cash their order usually reflects that. Usually those are like $20 but she spent $60! Good luck and keep us posted!

kaseydee said:
OMG! Bethcooks4u - you put a picture up! I have been seeing posts by this "new" person all day & then I flipped back to see who & where she was from...Its Beth! I know I sound crazy but I really was thinking someone new was really getting into the posting thing. lol

Too funny! I added the picture because of the friends thing that was just added to the site. I didn't want a big question mark to represent me on those pages. ;)

Another thought: Does the guest live close to Saturday's show? If she doesn't show up or doesn't bring the money or products you could go over there after the show to get it and save yourself some travel time and gas (and grief).

I have all my guest write the check to the host and have the host write me one check. People are less likely to write a bad check to a friend.

Jenni said:
I have all my guest write the check to the host and have the host write me one check. People are less likely to write a bad check to a friend.

I disagree. I would rather have one smaller check bounce (only have had 6 or sow in 6 years doing it this way) than the whole show. If the host doesn't get those deposited and cleared before the check clears my bank I am out the whole show.

BethCooks4U said:
Another thought: Does the guest live close to Saturday's show? If she doesn't show up or doesn't bring the money or products you could go over there after the show to get it and save yourself some travel time and gas (and grief).

No...she lives about 1/2hr-45 mins from the show -- the show is already an hour away for me.
I am figuring if she doesn't have the $ or the products on Saturday then I am going to go the legal route to get back the $ from her bounced check.

Hey, I could hunt her down and kick her ankles for you.

After the ccard was declined I would no longer give her the benefit of the doubt. I would have had Fed-ex not deliver/pick up the products.

BethCooks4U said:
I disagree. I would rather have one smaller check bounce (only have had 6 or sow in 6 years doing it this way) than the whole show. If the host doesn't get those deposited and cleared before the check clears my bank I am out the whole show.

You have a good point... something to think about!

Re: ARGH - Guest with Finanacial Issues-CAROLYN
dannyzmom said:
ARGH

Had a great show early this month...$1200+ in sales

One of the guest paid with a check. I deposited the checks, waited 3 days and then submitted show.

After like 4-5 days I find out her check bounced.

Show has already been submitted at this point.

I call HO and they say they can change her form of payment to credit card (get a cc # from her) and they'll credit the $ back to my PC Visa. So, that's what I did.

While I was in DC, host called to say show has been delivered - all is well.

Yesterday evening I get a call from HO telling me the guest's CC was declined.
Well...she already has her products!

I call guest today - she says she doesn't get paid until July 3rd and has $12 to her name 'til then.

HO says I can have FedEx p/u her stuff & cancel her order or wait til July 3rd and have them re-run her card then - it's up to me. At this time PC has payment for her order (they've charged it to MY Pamp Chef Visa!!)

What would you do? Wait til July 3rd (10 days away) or have FedEx go pick up her order? (It's $61.50 in commissionable sales)

Oh - and PS this guest will be at my show this coming Saturday and has assured me she'll bring me my $20 bank fee for her bounced check.

Carolyn, I posted on the other thread, but did you see that guest this past weekend???

Re: ARGH - Guest with Finanacial Issues-CAROLYN
chefsteph07 said:
Carolyn, I posted on the other thread, but did you see that guest this past weekend???

Yes, I did. I updated on the thread about bashing up my car. I guess I should added to this thread, huh? LOL
Anyway - she came, she paid cash, she apologized up down & backwards. She paid the $ she owed form her check PLUS my bank fee. I am glad that is over...

GOOD!
Funny, I submitted a show last night that put me $99 over the $1500 level for SAT and now this morning I find out that the hosts credit card was declined for $137!!! Ugh!!!! So I"m dealing w/ a similar problem! Why can't people just pay for their STUFF...and why order it if you KNOW you can't!!!!

1. Can I change a guest's form of payment after the show has been submitted?

Yes, you can contact HO and provide them with the credit card information of the guest. They will then credit the amount back to your PC Visa.

2. What should I do if a guest's check bounces after the show has been submitted?

You can either have FedEx pick up the products and cancel the order, or wait until the guest's next paycheck to re-run their card.

3. Can I still receive commission for the bounced check order?

Yes, as long as the order has been paid for, you will still receive commission on it.

4. What if the guest does not have enough funds to pay for their order?

You can either have FedEx pick up the products and cancel the order, or wait until the guest's next paycheck to re-run their card. It is up to you to decide which option is best.

5. Can I still collect the bank fee for the bounced check from the guest?

Yes, you can still collect the bank fee from the guest. It is important to communicate with them and ensure that they are aware of the additional fee.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• dannyzmom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • esavvymom
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Niki Kate