• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Are Our Rubs and Spices Gluten Free?

Some are gluten free, but the test kitchens weren't able to verify that those that aren't are separately processed. So we can't guarantee they are GF.
Are any of our rubs or spices gluten free?

Some are... BUT the test kitchens weren't able to verify that those that aren't are separately processed. So we can't guarantee they are GF. HTH.

This was sent by my Monday Motivation writer:

What Pantry Products are GLUTEN FREE??
Thanks to Advanced Director Tracy Varin sharing this response from Gabriela S. from our Solutions Center

Item # Product Gluten-Free?

9062 SWEET CINNAMON SPRINKLE YES
9151 GARLIC-INFUSED CANOLA OIL YES
9664 CHILI LIME RUB YES
9665 SWEET & SOUR SAUCE NO
9666 TERIYAKI SAUCE WITH HONEY NO
9667 COCONUT LIME SAUCE YES
9701 CHILI PEPPER SAUCE YES
9702 RASPBERRY HABANERO SAUCE YES
9703 THAI RED CURRY RUB YES
9704 LEMON PEPPER RUB YES
9708 SWEET APPLE SPRINKLE NO
9712 KORINTJE CINNAMON YES
9713 ALL PURPOSE-DILL MIX YES
9714 SOUTHWESTERN SEASONING MIX YES
9719 ITALIAN SEASONING MIX YES
9720 PIZZA CRUST & ROLL MIX NO
9721 BEER BREAD MIX NO
9722 SMOKY BARBECUE RUB NO
9723 CINNAMON PLUS® SPICE BLEND YES
9733 ROSEMARY HERB SEASONING MIX YES
9734 CITRUS & BASIL RUB YES
9736 CRUSHED PEPCORN & GARLIC RUB YES
9737 BASIL BLEND CANOLA OIL YES
9739 MADAGASCAR PURE VANILLA EX. YES
9741 MAPLE HONEY MUSTARD SAUCE YES
9745 LEMON SPRINKLE NO
9748 CREOLE RUB YES
9749 SWEET HONEY VANILLA SPRINKLE NO
9750 BUFFALO RUB YES
9751 SPINACH & RED PEP OIL DIP SEAS. YES
9752 CARAMEL SAUCE YES
9753 CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY SAUCE YES
9754 CHERRY ALMOND SAUCE YES
9755 LEMON & ROSEMARY OIL DIP SEAS. YES
9797 THAI PEANUT SAUCE NO
9805 PARMESAN-GARLIC OIL DIP SEAS. YES
9806 TOMATO HERB OIL DIP SEAS. YES
9807 SPICY PINEAPPLE-RUM SAUCE YES
9808 GINGER-WASABI SAUCE NO
9812 JAMAICAN JERK RUB YES
9817 SWEET MOCHA HAZELNUT SPRINKLE NO
9819 SWEET CARAMEL SPRINKLE NO
9860 ASIAN SEASONING MIX NO
9864 COARSE SEA & HIMALAYAN SALT YES
9865 PEPPERCORN MEDLEY YES
9870 GREEK RUB YES
9880 CHIPOTLE RUB YES
9995 MOROCCAN RUB NO

But I believe they are all processed in a facility that also processes wheat. Chef Brian said that during the FB chat today.

I find it interesting that cinnamon sprinkles are but the rest of the sprinkles are not. Could that be an error?Fortunately I don't have to worry about gluten but I had not realized that it was as sensitive as this. My husband has nut allergies so being produced in the same facility is important for us to know. I had no idea that gluten issues were like that too.

Yes they are Beth. People with gluten issues vary in intensity. I have NCGI (non celiac gluten intolerance) so if I have gluten I suffer discomfort. My niece has celiac disease and if she has any, she ends up hospitalized. That's why I won't promote our spices or rubs as GF. Not worth the risk IMO.

Thanks. I'm so glad this thread was started. It's important for us to be aware of this. I wish HO would be more clear on our labels.

We are a gluten-free household. Both my son and I have gluten intolerance.
When people ask me about GF spices, sauces, and rubs, I am honest with them and let them know which ones don't contain gluten ingredients (chiefly wheat) and I let them know that those don't seem to bother us at our home. BUT I also let them know that none of our products are certified gluten-free. They are processed in plants that also handle gluten, so if they have Celiac disease, to not consider them.
Many of the sauces are off limits for us, because they contain soy sauce. That is a big one that people don't always realize. Soy sauce contains wheat unless you are using a wheat-free Tamari sauce. So just be aware of the fact that just because something doesn't say wheat it doesn't mean it's GF.

...now you got me wondering. My husband is also allergic to soy. I wonder if he isn't also gluten intolerant. How can I check that?

bethcooks4u said:
I find it interesting that cinnamon sprinkles are but the rest of the sprinkles are not. Could that be an error?
The others all have a little bits of "cake" in them so they are not gluten free.

At least it is a list you can work with and tell them while they do not contain gluten products they may be manufactured in a facility that does.

bethcooks4u said:
...now you got me wondering. My husband is also allergic to soy. I wonder if he isn't also gluten intolerant. How can I check that?

Beth - you can be tested for it, but most doctors don't test for Non-celiac Gluten Intolerance. They only run the tests for Celiac. That is a two-fold problem right there, because even those with Celiac can get a false-negative on their test if there are other factors present. You can tell very easily though, just by getting rid of ALL gluten for a month.

Micah was tested by an Naturopathic Dr. We went off gluten, soy, corn, dairy, rice, and food colorings as a cleansing diet. (THAT was HARD!) After several months of that, we had him retested, and started adding foods back in. Rice and Dairy are fine. Gluten, Soy, Corn, and Food Colorings still make him sick. The biggest surprise in all of this was that I went gluten-free with him, just to help him, and because it was easier than doing separate cooking all the time. (Rick ate gluten-free at home, but not away from home) Anyway, I realized a few months after going gluten-free that I hadn't had a migraine. Not one! It was common for me to have migraines a couple times a month, at least. And I'm talking "completely shut me down, so sick I can't eat, focus, or open my eyes" type of migraines. Then I realized that the periodic swelling of my ankles, legs, hands, and arms wasn't happening anymore, and my joints and muscles didn't hurt. We went on vacation in June, I ate glutened pizza, and the next morning, I was swollen all over, and could hardly move. Then, last July, in Chicago, my team went to this awesome Tapas Restaurant, and they served French bread to eat with many of the different appetizers. I ate a bunch of the bread. The next morning, I was so swollen, I could hardly get my shoes to go on. Everyone on my team was aghast at how swollen I'd become overnight. I also felt like I had a terrible hangover. (Ummm...I'd also had Sangria - but not enough to feel like that!) That was enough to let me know that it was the gluten.

Micah has had much the same experience, except that his is more digestive in nature. Twice, he went to a Birthday party on a weekend and had pizza (funny, pizza is our trigger food. We can say NO to cake, but pizza gets us!) and both times, he came home SICK. Like vomiting and diarrhea sick.

We also both get really congested, sinus infections, and Micah gets ear infections. When we don't eat gluten, we don't have a problem.

Thanks Becky for all that info. I'm afraid I haven't paid enough attention to the gluten thing up to now. Is there a place you can direct me to that would give me a list of things to stay away from and what to replace them with (menu kind of thing). I know. No wheat. But it's overwhelming so help would be so appreciated. If you want to take this off board you can email me at [email protected]

Great post Becky! So true about the migraines! I haven't had any since I went GF! What a difference!Beth... FYI... Soy sauce is not from soy, it's fermented wheat. It's one of the first things listed as a no-no on a GF diet.

finley1991 said:
Great post Becky! So true about the migraines! I haven't had any since I went GF! What a difference!

Beth... FYI... Soy sauce is not from soy, it's fermented wheat. It's one of the first things listed as a no-no on a GF diet.

Well then maybe he isn't gluten intolerant. He can use soy sauce but can't eat soy. I've started investigating this gluten thing though...

finley1991 said:
Great post Becky! So true about the migraines! I haven't had any since I went GF! What a difference!

Beth... FYI... Soy sauce is not from soy, it's fermented wheat. It's one of the first things listed as a no-no on a GF diet.

Actually - Soy Sauce is from Soy. It's just that they use wheat in the fermenting process. Tamari Sauce is a Soy Sauce that doesn't use wheat in the fermenting process.
We can do fermented soy - that doesn't seem to bother my son. So Soy, and Miso, and Tempeh are all okay (not that we bother much with Miso and Tempeh. :p) But we love soy sauce - we just use the Tamari Sauce instead of the wheat-fermented one.

I only know all of this because I've had to do so much research with all of my little guy's food issues. Getting him healthy has been practically a full time job the last couple of years!

bethcooks4u said:
Thanks Becky for all that info. I'm afraid I haven't paid enough attention to the gluten thing up to now. Is there a place you can direct me to that would give me a list of things to stay away from and what to replace them with (menu kind of thing). I know. No wheat. But it's overwhelming so help would be so appreciated. If you want to take this off board you can email me at [email protected]

Beth - I have to go run some errands - but I'll be back! There is a specific website I'm thinking of but I have to find the link to it!

I actually prefer the taste of Tamari over soy sauce so I luck out on that one!!

I know you all may find this totally irrelevant or even perhaps insensitive to compare my dog to your situations but I have a 5yr old Bichon (a breed known to be non-allergen to humans, right?) who has severe allergies. The first thing the vet told me to eliminate was any/all food and treats that had any of the 3 ingredients: Corn, Wheat & Soy. Those are the 3 most common allergans for dogs and apparently near toxic for some humans as well. When i read the list above about detoxing before implementing items one by one, I realized that it was all of the same ingredients. He has come SO FAR without them (he eats better than I do now I must add with his $50 foo foo dog food). He made so much progress but so easily can regress in a split second when tempted with a "treat" (perhaps we'll call it pizza? LOL) As a treat for being so good for the groomer I got him a new bone. He near instantly started digging himself til he bled... ONLY ingredient besides rawhide (which he is fine with)....Red dye # something. One 10 minute encounter with a 'treat' led to 10weeks of healing (8-12 weeks for allergens to leave their system). I did read the label, no corn, wheat, soy, or any form of grain.

So my point is here...(yes I do have one)...Isn't it amazing how such key ingredients in so many foods for both humans and our beloved four-legged friends, can have such detrimental effects? We often think of 'harmful' foods as those that are processed and yes I get that they have to be processed to be incorporated but corn, wheat and soy all grow naturally from the ground with no additives and can be so caustic.

I just wanted to thank you ladies for sharing your information, sites, findings etc as I for one love reading the knowledge you all share whether it be on special diets, allergens, heath issues etc as it not only helps for personal knowledge but is soooo helpful at our shows as our guests/hosts respect us even more when we are not ignorant to special needs or can share information without them asking or how to really talk about our products and not just say "lets read the bottle".

So bottom line, Thanks! :) (yes, I'll work on wordiness in 2012...LOL) <---I got the year right!

Melissa78 said:
I know you all may find this totally irrelevant or even perhaps insensitive to compare my dog to your situations but I have a 5yr old Bichon (a breed known to be non-allergen to humans, right?) who has severe allergies. The first thing the vet told me to eliminate was any/all food and treats that had any of the 3 ingredients: Corn, Wheat & Soy. Those are the 3 most common allergans for dogs and apparently near toxic for some humans as well. When i read the list above about detoxing before implementing items one by one, I realized that it was all of the same ingredients. He has come SO FAR without them (he eats better than I do now I must add with his $50 foo foo dog food). He made so much progress but so easily can regress in a split second when tempted with a "treat" (perhaps we'll call it pizza? LOL) As a treat for being so good for the groomer I got him a new bone. He near instantly started digging himself til he bled... ONLY ingredient besides rawhide (which he is fine with)....Red dye # something. One 10 minute encounter with a 'treat' led to 10weeks of healing (8-12 weeks for allergens to leave their system). I did read the label, no corn, wheat, soy, or any form of grain.

So my point is here...(yes I do have one)...Isn't it amazing how such key ingredients in so many foods for both humans and our beloved four-legged friends, can have such detrimental effects? We often think of 'harmful' foods as those that are processed and yes I get that they have to be processed to be incorporated but corn, wheat and soy all grow naturally from the ground with no additives and can be so caustic.

I just wanted to thank you ladies for sharing your information, sites, findings etc as I for one love reading the knowledge you all share whether it be on special diets, allergens, heath issues etc as it not only helps for personal knowledge but is soooo helpful at our shows as our guests/hosts respect us even more when we are not ignorant to special needs or can share information without them asking or how to really talk about our products and not just say "lets read the bottle".

So bottom line, Thanks! :) (yes, I'll work on wordiness in 2012...LOL) <---I got the year right!

Not irrelevant at all. :) If it was my dog with allergies I'd be doing the same stuff.

The bigger question is why all of a sudden (say in the last 10-20 years...) are people and animals developing allergies to foods that have been a mainstay of diets around the world for centuries? I've researched and researched, and then researched some more. The answer to me lies in the fact that the food we eat today is no longer the same. Almost all corn, wheat, and soy grown in the USA is genetically modified. It's very genes have been altered, and our bodies don't know how to process it any more. Then add in that almost every single processed food is just a variation of those same ingredients - corn, wheat, and soy. We are eating WAY more of it then ever before in the history of the world. I could go on and on because it happens to be a subject of which I am extremely passionate - but one interesting fact is that almost every other country in the world has banned GMO's (genetically modified organisms) because they have never been tested on humans and no one knows the long term effects they could have (the effects on lab animals has not been good though), and won't allow GM crops to be grown in their fields...and by law, any foods that contain GMO's must be labeled as such. Almost every other country - except for the US.

Becky I too have read up on it (not as much as you, I am positive!) but out of curiosity was my rationale. When I hear constantly "nut allergy", "peanut allergy", "gluten allergy" etc I get frustrated. Not b/c of those suffering with such intolerances but with the anguish of "Where the heck did this come from? THere was no such thing as "peanut free" snacks in kindergarten or "nut-free classrooms". 90% of the room ate PB&J for lunch! Gluten....whats that, I'd ask? 10-20yrs ago (as you even point out) the word was nearly unheard of and a bowl of pasta with a loaf of fresh italian bread was a staple." So I too took all these thoughts and put it to work in research, especially on peanuts b/c the I have a few friends who have kids who LOVE PB&J but cannot pack it in their lunches b/c of these issues. And like you, I have found that people today eat so much PB and items with nuts that they cannot grow fast enough on their own, instead we genetically pump them up on steroids to fill the shelves and fulfill retail greed and american over-consumption. I mocked ppl who shopped organic and thought of them as tree-huggers with too much money - TRUST ME, I dont' feel that way anymore. It really is an epidemic and if there ever was a time that I felt the Gov't needed an overhaul and to step in, the time is now and stopping or lessening this epidemic.

Then there's the issue of hormone injected foods....truely a health epidemic for everyone, furry and of human structure. :)

Melissa78 said:
Becky I too have read up on it (not as much as you, I am positive!) but out of curiosity was my rationale. When I hear constantly "nut allergy", "peanut allergy", "gluten allergy" etc I get frustrated. Not b/c of those suffering with such intolerances but with the anguish of "Where the heck did this come from? THere was no such thing as "peanut free" snacks in kindergarten or "nut-free classrooms". 90% of the room ate PB&J for lunch! Gluten....whats that, I'd ask? 10-20yrs ago (as you even point out) the word was nearly unheard of and a bowl of pasta with a loaf of fresh italian bread was a staple." So I too took all these thoughts and put it to work in research, especially on peanuts b/c the I have a few friends who have kids who LOVE PB&J but cannot pack it in their lunches b/c of these issues. And like you, I have found that people today eat so much PB and items with nuts that they cannot grow fast enough on their own, instead we genetically pump them up on steroids to fill the shelves and fulfill retail greed and american over-consumption. I mocked ppl who shopped organic and thought of them as tree-huggers with too much money - TRUST ME, I dont' feel that way anymore. It really is an epidemic and if there ever was a time that I felt the Gov't needed an overhaul and to step in, the time is now and stopping or lessening this epidemic.

Then there's the issue of hormone injected foods....truely a health epidemic for everyone, furry and of human structure. :)

I totally agree. I felt the same way. Until I had a son who was so extremely sick all the time, even though I felt like I was doing everything right for him - my ideas have drastically changed on food, and what we put into our bodies. We do eat almost 100% organically (I grow a lot of it in our back yard) and I own a cow share, so that we can get raw milk on a weekly basis. I buy my meat,poultry, dairy,and eggs directly from the farmer (yep - some make a weekly trip to the grocery store...I make a weekly trip to the farm!), and I know exactly how they've been fed and how they've been raised. We eat almost no processed foods at all and when we do - it's only organic. I don't do any of these because I'm a tree-hugger, or because I have too much money. We sacrifice other things to eat the way we do, and I do it because I am truly frightened by what has happened to the American food supply, and I want to stay away from it as much as I possibly can.

Oh believe me, gone are the days of the tree-hugging, too much money thoughts. It really is the smarter option - I'm a firm believer these days. Kudos to you!

Related to Are Our Rubs and Spices Gluten Free?

What is the difference between gluten free rubs and regular rubs?

Gluten free rubs are made without any ingredients that contain gluten, such as wheat, barley, or rye. Regular rubs may contain these ingredients, so they are not safe for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.

Are all Pampered Chef rubs and spices gluten free?

No, not all of our rubs and spices are gluten free. However, we do offer a variety of gluten free options that are clearly labeled on our website and in our catalog.

What ingredients are used in Pampered Chef gluten free rubs and spices?

Our gluten free rubs and spices are made with high-quality herbs, spices, and other natural ingredients. They are also free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.

Are your gluten free rubs and spices certified gluten free?

Yes, our gluten free rubs and spices are certified gluten free by the Gluten Intolerance Group's Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO). This means they have been tested and verified to contain less than 10 parts per million of gluten.

Can I use your gluten free rubs and spices on all types of foods?

Yes, our gluten free rubs and spices are versatile and can be used on a variety of foods, including meats, vegetables, and even in marinades and dressings. They are a great way to add flavor to your gluten free dishes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• WendyE
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ChefChris
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
rlombas
  • whitneythompson