• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Are Any Other Cheffers Juggling College and their Passion for Cooking?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of going back to school and getting a Master's degree while balancing work and personal life. Some participants were currently in school and shared their experiences, while others were contemplating going back to school. There was a mix of opinions, with some feeling addicted to school and others hesitant about the workload. Some mentioned the value of work experience in pursuing a Master's degree, while others discussed the different expectations and difficulty levels between undergraduate and graduate studies. Overall, the conversation provided insight into the challenges and benefits of pursuing higher education while managing other responsibilities.
mommyhugz1978
Gold Member
I just finished my winter quarter at school..... and I feel like I am about 50 pounds lighter with finals and papers behind me... I am just wondering if any of you fellow cheffers are in school an how you handle school and PC etc... and what your studing in school!!!

Great for you!! I am debating on going back for my Master's....but I would keep my FT job, so I would maybe have to re-think PChef...so I am procrastinating on that!! I might try 1 class a semester.... I am *hoping* that PC will take my a little less time every week, once I do it longer and things become second nature...

I took this semester off, debating whether I want my master's now later. I think I am addicted to school.

See, I work at a College, and I am NOT at all wanting to go back to school. Ugh....papers, homework, tests....... but, I know that if I want to continue up the professional ladder in my career, I basically need a Masters!:(But, I say that if you have the motivation, do it now!!

jenniferknapp said:
See, I work at a College, and I am NOT at all wanting to go back to school. Ugh....papers, homework, tests....... but, I know that if I want to continue up the professional ladder in my career, I basically need a Masters!:(

But, I say that if you have the motivation, do it now!!

Wow Jennifer, you sound alot like me!! I too work at a University and DON'T want to go back. I just finished my Bachelor's in 2006! I want to get a Master's, so I can do what I think I would truly like and get out of the rut I'm in at work now, but I don't think I can handle more Papers, homework, reading, etc...... It doesn't help that I HATE to read! I know working on a Master's would be ALOT of reading. It's all I could do to make it through my Bachelor's!! :(

Leah, hang in there! It can be done!!

Im walking with my Bachelor's this May 07. Currently taking 22units (this semester).

One more year of school to go for the next phase. Will receive my Culinary degree May 08 along with my CA Teacher's Credential.
Wooooooooooooo Can't wait to Graduate:D Then I can stop doing Homework! Oh Waiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt. It starts all over with assigning the kids homework:eek: :eek: :eek: JK I'm looking forward to teaching young ones for a bit then Teach Culinary skills:D

Oh No then more school for my Master's:) Good think I Love learning:)

Last edited:
I will be receiving my 2nd bachelor's this summer (1st one was in Liberal Arts, this one is in Accounting). After that it is on to grad school for my MBA with a concentration in Finance. After that it is off to take the CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant) exam and hopefully pass.

hoosierchef said:
I just finished my Bachelor's in 2006! I want to get a Master's, so I can do what I think I would truly like and get out of the rut I'm in at work now, but I don't think I can handle more Papers, homework, reading, etc...... It doesn't help that I HATE to read! I know working on a Master's would be ALOT of reading. It's all I could do to make it through my Bachelor's!! :(

Actually, I found that getting a Master's Degree was not that much reading and SO much easier than my undergrads. Of course, I went from attending MSOE (Milwaukee School of Engineering) that has VERY high standards to a state school so the expectations were different. I had started a Master's Degree at MSOE about a decade ago and it was much harder than this round.

MSOE had requirements that in order to get your Master's Degree, you HAD to spend some time in the field first, they made some exceptions for type of degree and if you worked while in college. I wondered why at first when many went from Bachelors to Masters right away. Going back later (finishing in 2006), I understood why. The life and work experience was invaluable!!!! I was able to get straight A's while working FT and having two kids (one just born 6 months earlier). What made it so easy was the experience I had.

I don't know how PC and a Master's would work for you, but if I can do FT work, many, many other activities and an infant and toddler at the time - you can do it!!!!!!!

Master's Degrees are a lot less "theoretical" and a lot more "practical" in many colleges nowadays.

Good luck!

pamperedalf said:
I took this semester off, debating whether I want my master's now later. I think I am addicted to school.

This is EXACTLY why I didn't send my daughter to preschool - she is SOOOO mommy and I figured she'd be in school the rest of her life.

Found this thread a little late, but figured I'd chime in anyways. I'm currently in school for my bachelor's. It sounds like a lot of you are going back to school later in life. I guess my situation is a little different than yours, as I'm only 19. I'm in school full time, plus two jobs and PC. It's a pretty busy schedule. As for how I balance things, I'd have to say I don't do it all that well at times. It's easy for PC to get overlooked with all of the other things going on. I've raised my goals for bookings and recruiting though, and am hoping to step things up with PC so that I can eliminate one of my other jobs. It's funny though, I have no time for anything else, but I still manage to find time for CS. I guess I could say I'm addicted!

I have been going to school for three years...I graduate next June with my Bacholors in Business and Leadership, and a minor in Psyhology, then I want to go to grad school and get my MBA, and yes..... I want to get my doctoret degree.... When I graduate next year I will be the first in my family to have a college degree, well I should say the first of my siblings, my dad is the only other one in my imedate family that has a college degree. This past quarter I had one class physcially on campus, and the other three online save my rear end from driving yes.... two hours...... I got to a libral arts college... in Portland Oregon. WHEW I wore myself out just saying all of that LOL

jasonmva said:
I will be receiving my 2nd bachelor's this summer (1st one was in Liberal Arts, this one is in Accounting). After that it is on to grad school for my MBA with a concentration in Finance. After that it is off to take the CMA (Certified Managerial Accountant) exam and hopefully pass.

What do you plan on doing with all of that????? I personal want to get into finanical planning/advising... and sell PC as well!!

jasonmva said:

I was thinking about getting a 2nd Bachelor's Degree in Business Economics or something... since I haven't taken any of those classes yet; and I only have a Computer Art Degree. This would let me see how I do in those sort of classes before I jump in to 500 and 600 level classes in those areas! Hmm...have you done and research or have any reasoning to believe that having 2 bachelor's degrees is going to help? (All that I can think of is I know it is impressive when you do them both at the same time....and I don't want to spin my wheels since I already have one, and would go back for another???)

Jennifer - I have 2 bachelors - one in Industrial Engineering and one in Management Systems (Business and Management combined, finance, managerial accounting, etc.) Having both has helped me immensely over the last decade. It has provided good balance. I truly believe a business degree can only help supplement, not hurt another degree. You can't do any project in any company without understanding "business".

Jason - good luck when you do your CMA - my accounting professor wanted me to do that because accounting was so easy for me, but alas, I love my engineering work too much....

I'm taking some online classes at the UMUC. I should have done it a long time ago but just started when we moved over here.

janetupnorth said:
Jennifer - I have 2 bachelors - one in Industrial Engineering and one in Management Systems (Business and Management combined, finance, managerial accounting, etc.) Having both has helped me immensely over the last decade. It has provided good balance. I truly believe a business degree can only help supplement, not hurt another degree. You can't do any project in any company without understanding "business".

Thanks!! That is what I have been thinking... Okay, maybe starting this summer.....I will take a class towards a 2nd Bachelors! I don't think it would take too long since I already have all of the Gen-Ed classes done from my 1st...

jenniferknapp said:
I was thinking about getting a 2nd Bachelor's Degree in Business Economics or something... since I haven't taken any of those classes yet; and I only have a Computer Art Degree. This would let me see how I do in those sort of classes before I jump in to 500 and 600 level classes in those areas! Hmm...have you done and research or have any reasoning to believe that having 2 bachelor's degrees is going to help? (All that I can think of is I know it is impressive when you do them both at the same time....and I don't want to spin my wheels since I already have one, and would go back for another???)

I didn't really want the 2nd one but I needed it since it was such a huge change from my first degree. Icould have still receivedmy Master's in Accounting but it would have not allowed me to sit for the CPA exam because I would not have met the requirements. I glad I did it though because it gave me the time to really decide what I wanted to do.

mommyhugz1978 said:
What do you plan on doing with all of that????? I personal want to get into finanical planning/advising... and sell PC as well!!

I can do the same things as a CPA with the exception of conducting audits. Basically a CMA is there to help a business forecast what it needs to do to meet future goals. My pipedream is to have an office in DC overlooking the monuments and only work T-TH and get paid BIG BUCKS! Ah it is so fun to dream.

I go to college fulltime, I am getting my Bachelors in Public health--Health Promotion. :) In the summer I will be taking a few classes so I can graduate in May 08!! woot!

When I started PC I was finising my bachelors. I got pregnant with our 3rd child when I had 2 semesters left. I started my PC business when she (our 3rd) was 10 days old. I keep thinking of going back for my Master's, but now with 4 kiddos and trying to ramp up my PC business I think I'll have to wait on that until our youngest in in school.

I start school next month along with a full time job, pc, & raising 3 girls: 17,
15, & 12...They are excited for me though..I'm going for my associates in business management & then on to my bachelors..It's tiring just thinking about it..

Good luck to all of you starting/working on degrees! Yeah for you - I'm excited for all of you!

My husband says I can't go on to get a doctorate until he has his Master's Degree - he just got his associates and won't be working on his bachelors yet (financially have to pay off my Master's and his associates first) so it is kind of a joke....he knows I could never take the time to do a doctorate with our busy lives... Also, he HATES school so he'd never get a Master's degree...he does want his bachelor's.

To those starting, yes, it is tiring, but so worth it in the end. Mine didn't really give me financial rewards, but it gave me a lot of personal satisfaction!

jasonmva said:
I can do the same things as a CPA with the exception of conducting audits. Basically a CMA is there to help a business forecast what it needs to do to meet future goals. My pipedream is to have an office in DC overlooking the monuments and only work T-TH and get paid BIG BUCKS! Ah it is so fun to dream.

And what a dream they are when they come relatity....... IE graduating college and getting a job of a life time.

I am working toward my bachelors right now. I only take 2-3 classes a semester (including summers), but so far it works for me. I have three littles ones and don't work other than PC which is only part time. Sometimes I do have to stay up late to get my homework done, but in the long run it will be worth it.

Started 1998, still going..slowly plugging away. Now I'm 5 classes from my BA in Psych (started as a medical secretary and had to change it thanks to the army). Next is my master's so I'll still be going. Right now it's all online though..came in handy for the last 3 plus years that way.

I started going back to school 3 years ago... and I graduate in June of next year. Their is light at the end of the tunnel but I dont' think it will end becasue I want my MBA

I'd probably get alot more schoolwork done if I stayed of CS

Your not the only one Amy......LOl thought right now I am on spring break and let me tell you it's werid not doing any homework what so ever!

amy07 said:
I'd probably get alot more schoolwork done if I stayed of CS

I feel like I could get so much more done with everything if I stayed off of CS!! But, I look at my fellow consultants at our meetings, and they say things like "how do you know so much, you started when I did???" ....so then I feel good and remember all of the great things I learn when I am on here!

People say I do to much and dont' have enough time... I look at them and say well if I dont' have enough time why did I just pull off a 4.0 for winter term?!!

mommyhugz1978 said:
People say I do to much and dont' have enough time... I look at them and say well if I dont' have enough time why did I just pull off a 4.0 for winter term?!!

GREAT FOR YOU!!!

Thanks.... I spent most of the past week writing term papers... I attend a wirting intesinve university.. so I felt like I was writing a novel a good majority of the time.

mommyhugz1978 said:
Thanks.... I spent most of the past week writing term papers... I attend a wirting intesinve university.. so I felt like I was writing a novel a good majority of the time.

Now that is a way to describe CS - a writing intensive place of business.

jasonmva said:
I am good at writing here..... thoughts and answers just come to mind so easily! How come school work isn't that easy for me?

jasonmva said:

LOL I love that one never thought about CS as that....... hehe

Related to Are Any Other Cheffers Juggling College and their Passion for Cooking?

1. How do you balance your studies and your work at Pampered Chef?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, I understand the challenge of balancing school and work. To manage my time effectively, I create a schedule that includes designated study times and blocks of time for my Pampered Chef business. I also prioritize my tasks and delegate when necessary.

2. What motivated you to pursue a career in cooking while also studying in college?

I have always had a passion for cooking and wanted to turn it into a career. Pursuing a degree in a related field, such as culinary arts or hospitality management, can provide me with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in the culinary industry. Plus, having a degree can open up more opportunities for me in the future.

3. How do you stay motivated and focused on both school and Pampered Chef?

To stay motivated, I remind myself of my long-term goals and the benefits of pursuing both my education and my passion for cooking. I also surround myself with a supportive network of family, friends, and fellow Pampered Chef consultants who understand the demands of balancing school and work.

4. What tips do you have for other cheffers juggling college and their passion for cooking?

My top tip is to prioritize and plan your time effectively. This may mean sacrificing some social activities or leisure time, but it will ultimately pay off in the long run. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help when needed, whether it's from a classmate or a fellow Pampered Chef consultant.

5. What are you studying in school and how does it relate to your work at Pampered Chef?

I am currently studying culinary arts and food service management. This degree provides me with a strong foundation in both the culinary and business aspects of the industry, which directly relates to my work at Pampered Chef. I am able to utilize my knowledge and skills from both areas in my role as a consultant.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Stampaholic1961
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Stampaholic1961
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies