• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

aQuick Question for My Canadian Cheffer Friends...

In summary, a consultant is considering doing a catalog PC show for a friend in Windsor but having it shipped to her instead of risking delivery while her friend is not home. She is concerned about potential issues at the border and void warranties for Canadian customers purchasing items at US prices. However, the consultant's friend has had previous success with taking small purchases home with her and using a credit card for payment. The consultant also suggests finding a consultant in Windsor for the show to avoid violating company policy and ensure better customer service.
itsjustCarla
I wanted to do a catalog PC show for a friend who lives in Windsor, but have it shipped to me. She will actually be visiting me a week or so after and was just going to pick it up and take it home with her rather than risk it being delivered while she wasn't home. My question is this: what happens when she gets to the border? Will they give her a hard time? Can she get into trouble?

I hope this makes sense......:eek:

I have ordered little things from the US that weren't available in Canada in the past- like the heart molds that were not here, and the gingerbread molds right before they were discontinued. Because there were only one or two items I never had a problem. My issue with this is that the guarantees are void and so customer service is impossible. I totally 'get' that the pricing is significantly better with the dollar as it is right now, but if anything at all breaks, the guests can't do anything. I know I have had a few customers in the past who refused to do shows with me because someone in Pt Huron was crossing with her kit and selling at US prices. I have issue with that as a consultant too. But when that same customer came to me with a broken stone- well- what do I do? I can't help.

friday said:
I have ordered little things from the US that weren't available in Canada in the past- like the heart molds that were not here, and the gingerbread molds right before they were discontinued. Because there were only one or two items I never had a problem. My issue with this is that the guarantees are void and so customer service is impossible. I totally 'get' that the pricing is significantly better with the dollar as it is right now, but if anything at all breaks, the guests can't do anything. I know I have had a few customers in the past who refused to do shows with me because someone in Pt Huron was crossing with her kit and selling at US prices. I have issue with that as a consultant too. But when that same customer came to me with a broken stone- well- what do I do? I can't help.

Wouldn't they have to pay in American Currency too? It seems like, coupled with having to go through a bunch of hoops for warranties, that it would be more hassle than the price difference would be worth.

ChefBeckyD said:
Wouldn't they have to pay in American Currency too? It seems like, coupled with having to go through a bunch of hoops for warranties, that it would be more hassle than the price difference would be worth.
If they pay on their credit cards, there is no hassle at all and with the CDN dollar higher than the US and the US prices already SIGNIFICANTLY lower- customers don't SEE the value of a guarantee. Until something breaks.

I did that for a friend in Windsor.. actually 2 shows. The first we shipped here to her office in Detroit and when she took everything with her at once, it was a huge nightmare for her at the border.

The next time she did the show, she took 2 things with her home each night.

It really was a pain but it can be done.

friday said:
If they pay on their credit cards, there is no hassle at all and with the CDN dollar higher than the US and the US prices already SIGNIFICANTLY lower- customers don't SEE the value of a guarantee. Until something breaks.

duh! Credit Cards, of course. And the warranty - everyone thinks it happens to other people, but not to them!:rolleyes:

Why not be ethical- because cross border shows are in violation of HO policy- and find a consultant in Windsor to handle the show?

friday said:
Why not be ethical- because cross border shows are in violation of HO policy- and find a consultant in Windsor to handle the show?

That's why my friend does now. It was too much hassle having me do it.

friday said:

Sorry- I think that sounded harsh. I didn't really mean it to be. But I know that when I get show leads in Michigan, I give them to a Michigan consultant. (I do get these leads once or twice a year). I prefer people who are associated with my customers to say "Yes, she gave me to this other consultant so that I can get the best customer service possible" rather than "I spent $$$ at this show and now she tells me she can't replace my ... because she broke some stupid PC rule- PC sucks" or whatever. I could always use the commission, but the good customer care will follow me further than the pay from one show. Thats how I meant that to sound.

friday said:

I wasn't going to do her show to take business away from Canadian Consultants and it had nothing to do with the monetary differences.... she simply asked me to do the show because we are friends and she wasn't going to be home when the products were delivered. She wanted to help me by doing a show and in turn I wanted to help her earn PC products. I didn't know it was a violation of policy, I didn't know it voided warranties. I would never consider doing anything unethical.

Now I know.
Thank you.

Maybe it's time we ask HO to change the cross border policy -- or to line up pricing so this doesn't become a huge issue.
Carla -- if your friend asked you to do her show & it's being submitted as a US show, what's the big deal?? You are not breaking any rules. You aren't shipping it cross border.
Your friend might have a hard time at the border depending how much $$ the product is worth & how long she has been in the US. I think (though I could be wrong) that if the product value is higher than what is allowed based on the # on days she's in the US, she might have to pay the taxes. BUT... if it's free product, (kind of like a gift) I don't know what happens -- I don't think you have to pay on free stuff. Maybe she should call the appropriate gov't dept to find out if it will be a hassle at the border.

She will have a hassle at the border. A coworker of mine has a cottage in Canada and has to be very careful about how much stuff she takes to it at any one time. If customs is suspicious that you have more items than is reasonable for personal use, they can charge you with duty fraud (or something like that).

Related to aQuick Question for My Canadian Cheffer Friends...

1. Can Canadian Cheffers order from the US Pampered Chef website?

Yes, Canadian Cheffers can order from the US Pampered Chef website. However, there may be additional fees and longer shipping times for international orders.

2. Are the products on the Canadian Pampered Chef website different from the US website?

Yes, there may be some differences in products available on the Canadian Pampered Chef website compared to the US website. This is due to different regulations and availability in each country.

3. Can I use my US consultant for orders and parties in Canada?

Unfortunately, US consultants are only able to serve customers in the US. If you are interested in hosting a party or placing an order in Canada, please contact a Canadian consultant.

4. Are there any special discounts or promotions for Canadian Cheffers?

Yes, there are often special promotions and discounts available for Canadian Cheffers. Make sure to check the Canadian Pampered Chef website or contact a Canadian consultant for more information.

5. How long does it take for orders to be delivered in Canada?

Orders typically take 7-14 business days for delivery in Canada. However, this may vary depending on the shipping method and any potential delays at customs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • AnnieBee
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
rennea
  • ChefKelebel