• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anything You Would Never Do at a Show Again?

I do like making the Chocolate Cake, though.Phyllo dough is really thin - I mean SUPER thin - pastry dough that is used in layers. It was featured in a couple theme show recipes a few seasons ago, and although they were DELICIOUS, they were very difficult to make b/c of the phyllo dough. Here are the recipes in case you are ever up for the challenge ;) :https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes/Gruyere.pdfhttps://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes
cwinter474
Gold Member
There are alot of newbies out there and I thought they might benifit from your wise experiances.

So are there any product you won't show or recipe you won't do again because of ______________????

I LOVE the post about your best PC tips and I thought this might compliment it.

Thanks,

Carol

I will never demo carrots on the Ultimate Mandoline again. The carrots stained the UM after I tried hand washing. After I ran it through the dishwasher at home it went away but I think that was a turn off.

The carrots also stained my cutting board. Those darn carrots! :grumpy::mad:

Chopping chocolate in the food chopper on a warm day. Ugh!! It sticks together and forms 1 big clump!! Very hard to sell a food chopper when this happens.

Anything with Phyllo dough.

I would encourage Hosts to TRY to limit the amount of kids at a Show - I have had WAY too many before and it stressed EVERYONE out!

I will never again do a show outside in the glaring sun... It must be in the shade. Last time I think I had heat stroke and was completely out of it for the next few hours. Luckily it was at a neighbors house so I only drove about a mile.

laurichef said:
Chopping chocolate in the food chopper on a warm day. Ugh!! It sticks together and forms 1 big clump!! Very hard to sell a food chopper when this happens.

Yes! I agree...what a mess!

stefani2 said:
I would encourage Hosts to TRY to limit the amount of kids at a Show - I have had WAY too many before and it stressed EVERYONE out!

Oh, my! I had that last Saturday at a show. Very hard to laugh it off after the 3rd interruption. :grumpy:

DebbieJ said:
Anything with Phyllo dough.

I agree - I loved those Chicken things with the Phyllo dough, but never made them at a show b/c when I tried them, it was SO difficult to work with!!

I will never assume that the host has bought all of the ingredients for the show. It has happened on more than one occasion that hosts have forgotten to get things, so now I ALWAYS go over the ingredient list in one of my calls before the show, and I even call them on my way to the show to double check to see if there is anything I can pick up on my way that they "forgot" to get. I haven't had a problem with recipe ingredients since I started doing this! :)

These are GREAT, thanks guys.

Carrots stain? could you soak in a bleach/ water mix and remove???

Melty chocolate, wonder if you could freeze the chocolate before hand??

I present my hostess with a shopping check list, I even put little boxes next to the ingredients. Then I call my hostess before I head to her home and tell her I'm on my way, were you able to get ....... then we go over the list. Luckly Walmart it seems on every corner.

question..... what is Phyllo dough??? guess I've never made anything that requires it.

cwinter474 said:
These are GREAT, thanks guys.

Carrots stain? could you soak in a bleach/ water mix and remove???

Melty chocolate, wonder if you could freeze the chocolate before hand??

I present my hostess with a shopping check list, I even put little boxes next to the ingredients. Then I call my hostess before I head to her home and tell her I'm on my way, were you able to get ....... then we go over the list. Luckly Walmart it seems on every corner.

question..... what is Phyllo dough??? guess I've never made anything that requires it.

Great idea about the checklist, Carol - I usually provide the Shopping List that comes with the Recipe online and that covers it pretty well, too.

Phyllo dough is really thin - I mean SUPER thin - pastry dough that is used in layers. It was featured in a couple theme show recipes a few seasons ago, and although they were DELICIOUS, they were very difficult to make b/c of the phyllo dough. Here are the recipes in case you are ever up for the challenge ;) :

https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes/Gruyere.pdf

https://www.pamperedchef.com/images/cc/us/pdf/theme_show_recipes/PhylloWrappedAsparagus.pdf

Cathy,

I looked at the recipes. Looks like I'm in luck, nothing there that the picky eaters in my house would eat. Lucky me.

I know - we didn't really care for the asparagus in my house, but the Gruyere Chicken en Croute was a BIG hit. I remember sweating so much from making it one time that I had to shower while it was in the oven!!! It was delish, but definitely a "special occasion" type of recipe for me!! I hate to work that hard to make any recipe!! ;)

The asparagus was SOO GOOOOD but yeah, would never EVER EVER do at a show again.Puff pastry can be dicey too. I made the three onion goat cheese tart from that theme show at a lot of shows, though.

three onion goat cheese tart???? YUCK, don't think I could stomic that one

It's actually really good, Carol. You carmelize the onions and garlic, and combined with the goat cheese and bacon, it's a really great flavor. I did it a bunch of times for shows, too, and everyone loved it. :)

enter in the WRONG house---yep met by a pit bull--

cathyskitchen said:
It's actually really good, Carol. You carmelize the onions and garlic, and combined with the goat cheese and bacon, it's a really great flavor. I did it a bunch of times for shows, too, and everyone loved it. :)

Ok, I will search that recipe and at least check it out. My mother-n-law is always looking for new dips, if we don't like it I can pass it down.

MORFIA said:
enter in the WRONG house---

yep met by a pit bull--

My directior tells a story where she went to a house, they let her in, there were several people there all very nicely dressed in dark suits and dresses, they let her set up in the dining room because she asked where the kitchen was. She noticed there was quite a bunch of food already there. She got everything set up and sorta just was there, and then asked who was "so and so" because it was an over the phone booking with a lady she had never met.... they told her that she didn't live there, that they thought she was from one of the chruches bringing food for the family. The wife of the man that lived there had passed away and the funeral was later that evening.

Can you imaging!!!!

MORFIA said:
enter in the WRONG house---

yep met by a pit bull--

ROFL, Morfia!! What a surprise, for both of you!! :D

cwinter474 said:
My directior tells a story where she went to a house, they let her in, there were several people there all very nicely dressed in dark suits and dresses, they let her set up in the dining room because she asked where the kitchen was. She noticed there was quite a bunch of food already there. She got everything set up and sorta just was there, and then asked who was "so and so" because it was an over the phone booking with a lady she had never met.... they told her that she didn't live there, that they thought she was from one of the chruches bringing food for the family. The wife of the man that lived there had passed away and the funeral was later that evening.

Can you imaging!!!!

Oh, no, Carol, now that one takes the cake!! LOL!

cwinter474 said:
Ok, I will search that recipe and at least check it out. My mother-n-law is always looking for new dips, if we don't like it I can pass it down.

It's not a dip--it's a baked appetizer. You can find it under the old theme shows--Fall 06 I think.

DebbieJ said:
It's not a dip--it's a baked appetizer. You can find it under the old theme shows--Fall 06 I think.

oh, for some reason I thought it was a dip

DessertDivaFL said:
Oh, my! I had that last Saturday at a show. Very hard to laugh it off after the 3rd interruption. :grumpy:

That is one of the WORST!!! Leave your kids at home unless it is a Kids in the Kitchen show, thank you very much!!

Double check the host when she is helping out with setting the oven or microwave.
The 30 minute chicken show turned into the 60+ minute chicken show because she didn't know how to work her microwave and the power setting was on low, not high.

Had another host pre-heat the oven to the wrong temp and set the timer wrong b/c she wasn't paying attention to what I was saying ( she admitted that) and the pizza crust was burnt. So much for interactive~ ha ha :)

I now always ask about the size of the microwave. The dcb doesn't fit into so many of them.

I won't do games again. A drawing, yes, but not games. Not my style.

cwinter474 said:
I now always ask about the size of the microwave. The dcb doesn't fit into so many of them.[/
cwinter474 said:
QUOTE]

the worst was when it was my own mother's microwave that the dang thing didn't fit in!:balloon:

I had NICELY told my host to limit the amount of kids at the show because it can make for such a chaotic show - but there were 14 KIDS! :yuck:

I will never demo the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies. They are soooo yummy, but the darned things are too much work with peeling the Rolos and stuff!

I love to demo the brownies because they are easy! One thing I do though is ask the host to have them already unwrapped! ;)

I will also never continue with a show after I've seen a mouse because it came home with me in my bags! I was to grossed out!

I had a hostess look on line for the recipes to make. she chose three. one was a frittata, a dessert cake and something else. i am a very good but the frittata took way to long to bake. even though the show was really good it was over $700.

merego said:
Double check the host when she is helping out with setting the oven or microwave.
The 30 minute chicken show turned into the 60+ minute chicken show because she didn't know how to work her microwave and the power setting was on low, not high.

Had another host pre-heat the oven to the wrong temp and set the timer wrong b/c she wasn't paying attention to what I was saying ( she admitted that) and the pizza crust was burnt. So much for interactive~ ha ha :)

I did a show for a friend of mine once and asked her to put the micro cooker in the microwave to melt the butter...well a few minutes later we smelt something burning b/c she had put in on the stove. Was pretty funny:D

I also won't do the Chocolate Raspberry trifle at a show again, I think it takes too long.

traci4tpc said:
I did a show for a friend of mine once and asked her to put the micro cooker in the microwave to melt the butter...well a few minutes later we smelt something burning b/c she had put in on the stove. Was pretty funny:D
Seriously? Who does that. I mean, for those of us not very technical, it's basically plastic. Who puts plastic in the oven?

chefmeg said:
cwinter474 said:
I now always ask about the size of the microwave. The dcb doesn't fit into so many of them.[/
cwinter474 said:
QUOTE]

the worst was when it was my own mother's microwave that the dang thing didn't fit in!:balloon:

I have been in this situation a FEW times--Carrying a chicken across the street or to the neighbors house my host was watching!! The worst was we made a chocolate cake--next door---Poor kids were coming in from practice--and the smell was killing them---I offered to send 1-2 over---

CUZ I agree with the above posts---KIDS---lol it was easier to deliver--!!

traci4tpc said:
I also won't do the Chocolate Raspberry trifle at a show again, I think it takes too long.

I agree I didn't like making this and while it tasted good it was really rich and something I don't think everyone enjoyed.

Chef Kearns said:
I will also never continue with a show after I've seen a mouse because it came home with me in my bags! I was to grossed out!

OMG..... I would have DIED

CookingwithMary said:
I won't do games again. A drawing, yes, but not games. Not my style.

DItto.... not fond of games

Chef Kearns said:
I will never demo the Warm Nutty Caramel Brownies. They are soooo yummy, but the darned things are too much work with peeling the Rolos and stuff!

Haven't made these either, sounds good, I will be searching that one. Will have to have someone else unwrap the Rolos.... they are my FAVORITE!

The Rolos that come in a roll (not the bag) aren't individually wrapped - use those instead. Then you only have 4 wrappers to take off.

I will NEVER demo the nonstick abilities of our cookware by burning a slice of cheese...........smoke detectors went off and the smell stayed in my hosts house for days!

chefmeg said:
I will NEVER demo the nonstick abilities of our cookware by burning a slice of cheese...........smoke detectors went off and the smell stayed in my hosts house for days!

That is so funny! I would have never thought about that!

Little hi-jack - My director had us come over to practice some of the new recipes in the F/W SB and my job was to do the Apple Tartlets. Well it just killed me not to eat all the Werther's soft caramels as I was putting them in the tart pan :cry: I did my job and then I treated myself to some of them.

One of my cluster mates said, she didn't know how I stopped myself from eating them, because she saw my eyes light up when I saw them in the bowl.:love: End of hi-jack :)

ChefEileen said:
Little hi-jack - My director had us come over to practice some of the new recipes in the F/W SB and my job was to do the Apple Tartlets. Well it just killed me not to eat all the Werther's soft caramels as I was putting them in the tart pan :cry: I did my job and then I treated myself to some of them.

One of my cluster mates said, she didn't know how I stopped myself from eating them, because she saw my eyes light up when I saw them in the bowl.:love: End of hi-jack :)

that is so true, we made them and it was like cut one in half, add half to the tartlet and the eat the other..... they are so YUMMY

chefann said:
The Rolos that come in a roll (not the bag) aren't individually wrapped - use those instead. Then you only have 4 wrappers to take off.

At my store the rolls of rolos were more expensive by alot than the bag.

Chef Kearns said:
At my store the rolls of rolos were more expensive by alot than the bag.

My recruit discovered that, too, when she made that recipe. Unfortunately, she doesn't pay attention to instructions in the recipes, so she not only had to unwrap all those individual candies, she cut them all and didn't leave any whole to push into the brownie. :rolleyes: And somehow, she always seems to say things like it's HO's fault that the recipes don't work out perfectly.

<h2>1. What is the biggest mistake you've made at a Pampered Chef show and will never do again?</h2><p>The biggest mistake I've made at a show was not being prepared with all the necessary supplies and ingredients for a recipe. This resulted in a lot of wasted time and a less-than-perfect demonstration. Now, I always make sure to double check my list and have everything I need before the show starts.</p><h2>2. Is there a product that you've stopped demonstrating because it didn't receive a good response from customers?</h2><p>Yes, there was one product that I stopped demonstrating because it didn't seem to interest or appeal to my customers. Instead, I focus on showcasing products that have received positive feedback and have proven to be popular with my audience.</p><h2>3. Have you ever had a recipe fail during a demonstration and how did you handle it?</h2><p>Yes, I have had a recipe fail during a demonstration. It can be embarrassing and frustrating, but the key is to stay calm and improvise. I always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, and I try to make light of the situation and keep the atmosphere light and fun.</p><h2>4. Are there any products or ingredients that you avoid using at shows due to allergies or dietary restrictions?</h2><p>Yes, I always make sure to ask my guests beforehand if anyone has any allergies or dietary restrictions. I avoid using products or ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction or are not suitable for certain diets. It's important to accommodate all guests and make sure everyone can enjoy the demonstration.</p><h2>5. How do you handle a difficult or uninterested audience during a show?</h2><p>If I encounter a difficult or uninterested audience, I try to engage them by asking questions and getting them involved in the demonstration. I also make sure to keep the energy and enthusiasm high to keep everyone engaged. If all else fails, I focus on the guests who are interested and make sure they have a great experience.</p>

Related to Anything You Would Never Do at a Show Again?

1. What is the biggest mistake you've made at a Pampered Chef show and will never do again?

The biggest mistake I've made at a show was not being prepared with all the necessary supplies and ingredients for a recipe. This resulted in a lot of wasted time and a less-than-perfect demonstration. Now, I always make sure to double check my list and have everything I need before the show starts.

2. Is there a product that you've stopped demonstrating because it didn't receive a good response from customers?

Yes, there was one product that I stopped demonstrating because it didn't seem to interest or appeal to my customers. Instead, I focus on showcasing products that have received positive feedback and have proven to be popular with my audience.

3. Have you ever had a recipe fail during a demonstration and how did you handle it?

Yes, I have had a recipe fail during a demonstration. It can be embarrassing and frustrating, but the key is to stay calm and improvise. I always have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, and I try to make light of the situation and keep the atmosphere light and fun.

4. Are there any products or ingredients that you avoid using at shows due to allergies or dietary restrictions?

Yes, I always make sure to ask my guests beforehand if anyone has any allergies or dietary restrictions. I avoid using products or ingredients that may cause an allergic reaction or are not suitable for certain diets. It's important to accommodate all guests and make sure everyone can enjoy the demonstration.

5. How do you handle a difficult or uninterested audience during a show?

If I encounter a difficult or uninterested audience, I try to engage them by asking questions and getting them involved in the demonstration. I also make sure to keep the energy and enthusiasm high to keep everyone engaged. If all else fails, I focus on the guests who are interested and make sure they have a great experience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ckarasevic
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
ckarasevic
  • esavvymom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies