• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Use Openoffice Instead of Word?

In summary, OpenOffice is an open source program that is free to use. It is similar to Microsoft Word in use, and it is also more robust.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
I have a trial version of Word Office on my new computer - but it is SOOO expensive! I have looked at the OpenOffice website, and it looks like a good alternative (and only $11.95!) and I read some reviews on there, but I would like to hear some reviews from people I actually know and trust........

Okay - I just bought it online - I can be a bit impatient sometimes!

So - I'd still like to hear any feedback, and now I'll also post my feedback after I get it downloaded!

I have used it in the past. As long as you can get by the fact of learning the new toolbars and locations for different functions, it works pretty well. There are a few other tedious things that you have to remember, like to save a file you are working on for MS Word, instead of for Open Office's native format.Otherwise, it is a great alternative. (make sure that you stick to stable versions being that it is an open source program)And finally, the last I knew, it was free....???

I got mine free. I have Word here, but its in Spanish and I get so frustrated trying to figure things out that I got Open Office just so I could function. I like it. I have used it for a year and a bit now.

Where'd you pay $11.95? OO is always free. Did you go to a different web site than openoffice.org? :confused:

I love Open Office. I have an old copy of Microsoft Office that I use sometimes because I need to be able to provide tech support for family members. I can't imagine paying for a copy of Microsoft Office again though... not when OO is wonderful and free.

jenniferp417 said:
Where'd you pay $11.95? OO is always free. Did you go to a different web site than openoffice.org? :confused:

I am assuming she must have gone to a site like http://www.openoffice2007.com/1495buynow.html and paid for it! I'd be worried with who has my credit card #....

...They do a good job at selling a free product. I would call them to see if you can cancel your order! You can download it for free at the official open office website.... OpenOffice.org: Home

Yes it's become unfortunately very popular to repackage "open source" software and put it on sale. Very important to make sure you're at the orginal author's website where it is free.

I'm still using Adobe FrameMaker. I know, you've never heard of it, but that's okay. Even without being updated, it's still more robust that Microfots Wrod.

I've been using OpenOffice.org for 2 years now (for free) and it's great - works perfect! :)

Well, I've been using it all day long - and although I had no idea I could get it for free:grumpy: ........it was still about 95% cheaper than purchasing Microsoft Word!
It is very similar to use though - I'm not really finding it to be difficult to navigate or figure out.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm still using Adobe FrameMaker. I know, you've never heard of it, but that's okay. Even without being updated, it's still more robust that Microfots Wrod.

I used to make layouts using FM in high school 8 years ago for yearbook class :)

Greg, I'd probably use InDesign for that (I've got about 8 licenses of that, too) but Frame works for me, too.

I use InDesign all of the time... speaking of Adobe, you think Microsoft Office is expensive, take a look at any of the Adobe Suites :) ....I paid over $1000 for the creative suite a couple of years ago, so now it only costs about $500 to upgrade when they come out with new versions!

Good point, but if you've ever tried to build a book by fighting with MS Wrod to do it, you begin to really appreciate the power built into the Adobe suites.

Ohhhhh yes! Or people that try to edit photos in Word... I get so frustrated that I can't say "Just edit it in Photoshop!" (I work on a campus, and we have some copies available for people to use, but the majority of the people don't care...)

I hate when people try to use Excel to do page layout. There are a lot of people in IT who use Excel any time they need a table, whether there are calculations or not, and they get into the habit of reaching for that software first. Ugh!

I've used open office in the past at work and it was very user friendly once you figured out the differences. One nice thing is that with it you can open versions of microsoft word that you can't open if you happen to have to wrong version of word on your computer - go figure!

BethCooks4U said:
I've used open office in the past at work and it was very user friendly once you figured out the differences. One nice thing is that with it you can open versions of microsoft word that you can't open if you happen to have to wrong version of word on your computer - go figure!
I've noticed that already! Plus I can open Excel Spreadsheets - which I never could before.

Not to mention file transport - Microfots doesn't talk to Microfots very well.

I've seen people do some amazing things with Excel, but then, I've also seen artists make amazing carvings with a chainsaw.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

I have not used that in years. I think I have 5.5 somewhere around here.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Good point, but if you've ever tried to build a book by fighting with MS Wrod to do it, you begin to really appreciate the power built into the Adobe suites.

Actually, I find word easier for creating a book but assume that is because it is what I learned on - I was writing books in word while writing advanced training manuals for word. I used to MS support and say "i'm using your software to do x and having this problem" and their response was "our software does x? wow, can you send us information on how you make it do that" LOL. I used to write 300-500 page training manuals using table of contents and indexing in a way that most people claim (including MS support) claimed could not be done. :p

The only problems I've had has been somone modifying my word files in open office and loosing some of my formating but I suspect that had more to do with their lack of computer skills then open office's functionality.

tlennhoff said:
The only problems I've had has been somone modifying my word files in open office and loosing some of my formating but I suspect that had more to do with their lack of computer skills then open office's functionality.

I think that may be because (and this is an "I think") you have to save it AS a Microsoft Word file, not an OpenOffice file. In OO, you can do that!

ChefBeckyD said:
I think that may be because (and this is an "I think") you have to save it AS a Microsoft Word file, not an OpenOffice file. In OO, you can do that!

I'll bet your right. I was using reveiewer comments/editing and I'm not sure how compatible my version (2000) was iwth her version of OO.

tlennhoff said:
Actually, I find word easier for creating a book but assume that is because it is what I learned on - I was writing books in word while writing advanced training manuals for word. I used to MS support and say "i'm using your software to do x and having this problem" and their response was "our software does x? wow, can you send us information on how you make it do that" LOL. I used to write 300-500 page training manuals using table of contents and indexing in a way that most people claim (including MS support) claimed could not be done. :p
Maybe you found the magic workarounds, but Wrod was never able to duplicate FM for pagination, indexes and TOCs. With Frame, in conversion to PDF, all of the indexes and TOCs had automagically hotlinked entries. The other thing no one was ever able to successfully control with Wrod was widows and orphans - these things were all just a piece of cake for Frame - hit the button, let 'er rip and know that everything was going to be correct.

A big part of that is because Wrod is a word-processor, not a page-layout program. Huge difference. I'm the Wrod expert on the resume team at work, because I've done funky stuff with it. :)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Maybe you found the magic workarounds, but Wrod was never able to duplicate FM for pagination, indexes and TOCs. With Frame, in conversion to PDF, all of the indexes and TOCs had automagically hotlinked entries. The other thing no one was ever able to successfully control with Wrod was widows and orphans - these things were all just a piece of cake for Frame - hit the button, let 'er rip and know that everything was going to be correct.

Yeah we had pretty intesive directions for how to do stuff. Since we were doing things for print only at that time (some 10 years ago) we were not overly concerned with hyperlinking although on future jobs I did teach people how to make the hyperlinking work. Not simple but once you set up how to do it and followed the instructions it was not too bad. Not as easy with FM but then it takes a lot of mind change to switch from word processing to page layout (and vice versa) and my employers refused initially to send me to any training.

Exactly - widows, orphans, leading, kerning and other typesetting controls make all the difference. Wrod also has conditional text now, something we had in FM almost from the beginning.I've seen people do some interesting things with Wrod, but as the old saying does, when the only tool you have is a hammer, after awhile, everything starts to look like a nail.

tlennhoff said:
Yeah we had pretty intesive directions for how to do stuff. Since we were doing things for print only at that time (some 10 years ago) we were not overly concerned with hyperlinking although on future jobs I did teach people how to make the hyperlinking work. Not simple but once you set up how to do it and followed the instructions it was not too bad. Not as easy with FM but then it takes a lot of mind change to switch from word processing to page layout (and vice versa) and my employers refused initially to send me to any training.
Which is exactly why I am now out of business. After all, you're a computer whiz, you can figure this out by just reading the manual and playing with it.

I get a kick out of certain members of a certain organization *cough*carclubs*cough* that are suddenly publishing experts because Microfots Publisher came bundled on their new Smell Computer.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Which is exactly why I am now out of business. After all, you're a computer whiz, you can figure this out by just reading the manual and playing with it.

I get a kick out of certain members of a certain organization *cough*carclubs*cough* that are suddenly publishing experts because Microfots Publisher came bundled on their new Smell Computer.

LOL, I worked for a computer training company that would not allow the writers of the training to learn the software/take classes. I think it took 3 employers before I was successful at convincing them that even a computer whiz needed training. What a waste of time and money to refuse me the training, I was not a cheap writer. I love the training and liked the program so much better afterwards. Never did get to the point where I could move our documentation over to sgml though - they would not spring for that level of training even though they wanted me to convert the docs over to sgml. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Companies can be so stupid and short-sighted. :cry:

SGML is not for the faint of heart, though, and it takes more than just a class or two to become proficient in it.AUTHORING in SGML is idiot-proof, with the right tool, because you have no choice but to do it right. However, setting up an SGML template is not for amatuers. I think it's turned out that many people jumped on the SGML bandwagon before they found out that they didn't really need to.There were only a couple of good SGML authoring tools out there when I got out of publishing a few years ago - and I bet those are still the major players in that marketplace.

Can someone tell me how to download this? Word2007 trial expired and I can't even print a word file now, much less edit it:(
The site is asking which version I want and Windows w/without JRE? Don't have a clue and I need to be able to edit and/or print some of the files I find here.

TIA
Ruthann

Choose Windows w/ JRE. You ARE at openoffice.org, right?

jenniferp417 said:
Choose Windows w/ JRE. You ARE at openoffice.org, right?
yes, I'm at openoffice.org. I've tried both with and w/o JRE and my computer is telling me it's an unrecognized file type. argh!

something about bitTorrent files? I'm lost and frustrated. Can you tell? lol

Try this link:http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org/?product=OpenOffice.org&os=winwjre&lang=en-US&version=2.2.1That's the direct link to the Windows download... hopefully that'll work for you. It's an EXE file so it's just something to download and run, it doesn't need to be unzipped or anything.

Okay, think I finally got it figured out. Had to first download Torrent1.7.2 and convince my windows Vista OS I REALLY did want to run this. Vista stinks!

Okay, now it's time to go test it out. Wish me luck :)

Vista does stink. I won't buy another Windows computer because of it.Have fun playing with Open Office!

Related to Anyone Use Openoffice Instead of Word?

1. Can I use OpenOffice instead of Word?

Yes, OpenOffice is a viable alternative to Microsoft Word. It has similar features and functions, making it a suitable option for word processing needs.

2. Is OpenOffice compatible with my computer?

OpenOffice is compatible with most computers, including Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It also supports various file formats, making it easy to import and export documents.

3. How much does OpenOffice cost?

OpenOffice is free to download and use. However, if you would like to support the development of the software, you can make a donation of $11.95.

4. Are there any major differences between OpenOffice and Word?

While OpenOffice has many similar features to Word, there may be some differences in formatting and layout. It is always best to test out both programs to see which one works best for your specific needs.

5. What do others think about OpenOffice?

OpenOffice has received generally positive reviews from users and critics. Many appreciate its affordability and user-friendly interface. However, it is always recommended to try it out for yourself and see if it meets your expectations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1234blessed
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefcaroline
Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies