• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fixing Spyware Issues on a Slow 3-Year-Old Computer: Get Free Help & Solutions!

In summary, a computer user is experiencing issues with their 3-year-old computer freezing or displaying multiple windows at once. They are concerned about the possibility of spyware causing these problems and are looking for a free solution. Suggestions are given to download and run programs such as "spybot search and destroy" and Adaware to remove spyware and prevent future infections. It is also suggested to create a new user account without installation authority to further prevent spyware from installing.
kcjodih
Gold Member
Help! I have a 3 year old computer that is acting funny! If I have multiple windows open at the same time (2 or 3) and try to click from one to the other either my computer freezes or usually I end up with the top half of one window and the bottom half of another whether it be 2 websites or a website and a word or wordperfect document. Or when I open a document in word or wordperfect sometimes it will cooperate but most times it freezes up and says 'not responding' end now etc.

My sister in law suggested I may have spyware and to download something free called spybot to try and fix it. I googled spybot and found a spywarebot that states 'download free' and it diagnosed over 1000 'infections' but it won't do anything to or for them without now 'registering' which of course involves a payment.

Does anyone know if these problems sound like spyware? I have a security system on my computer for viruses but what's spyware? And could it be causing my problems and if so is there a way for me to get rid of them myself and for free?

Argggg Help please all you computer savvy people!!!! :eek:

Spyware are little programs that mess with your system. Usually they tell their host companies what web pages you visit so they can serve you more ads. Sometimes they're worse - they'll take credit card and banking info.You CAN get your computer free of them.They're worse than viruses, in my opinion.

Another thing that will help prevent spyware from installing on your machine is to crete a new user that does not have install authority. Use that user account to do anything. Because there is no authority for things to install, you'll find that your spyware is greatly reduced. Of course, that means that you also can't install things like PP updates, but you can log back in as the Administrator (the primary ID on the computer) to do that.

jenniferp417 said:
You want a program called "spybot search and destroy" it IS 100% free.

http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

Also get Adaware. Also has a free version. Download and run both - sometimes one will find things the other didn't.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

These are GREAT programs...when I was having problems they really helped, but depending on how messed up they have you, you might have to run them everyday. Another way to help keep them away, is to be carful what you download....:cool:

1. How can I tell if my computer has spyware?

There are a few signs that may indicate your computer has spyware, such as slow performance, pop-up ads, and programs running in the background that you did not install. You may also notice changes to your homepage or search engine. If you suspect spyware, it's best to run a scan with a reputable anti-spyware program.

2. What should I do if my computer is running slow due to spyware?

If you believe your computer is slow due to spyware, the first step is to run a scan with an anti-spyware program. This will help identify and remove any malicious software. You can also try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, as well as running a disk cleanup and defragmentation to optimize your computer's performance.

3. Can I fix spyware issues on my own or do I need professional help?

In most cases, you can fix spyware issues on your own with the help of reputable anti-spyware software. However, if you are not comfortable or experienced with computer maintenance, it may be best to seek professional help to ensure the spyware is completely removed and your computer is properly optimized.

4. What are some preventative measures to avoid spyware?

To prevent spyware from infecting your computer, it's important to practice safe browsing habits. This includes avoiding suspicious websites and links, being cautious of email attachments, and regularly updating your operating system and anti-virus software. It's also a good idea to use a firewall and consider installing an ad blocker.

5. Are there any free solutions for fixing spyware issues?

Yes, there are several reputable anti-spyware programs available for free, such as Malwarebytes and Spybot. These programs can help identify and remove spyware from your computer. You can also find free online resources and tutorials for optimizing your computer's performance after removing spyware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
3RingChef
  • pamperedbecky
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy