• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Google Alerts Caused Computer Virus???

In summary, Becky's computer had some weird malware on it that she was able to get rid of using a program from malwarebytes.com.
pamperedbecky
I posted this in the Paige thread, but thought I'd post it here to see if anyone else has ever had this happen....

I have no idea if this is related or not to what is now happening with my laptop.....

I do a Google alert for any Paige stories that come through, as I know many of you do. One came through tonight and it was what I thought was some type of blogger's website. It even had some text somewhere in what I clicked on that said "Models Inc." so of course that intrigued me So I opened this email alert and it said I needed to download something to view it (it said it was a video). Well dumb me clicked on a couple things to run something (I'm pretty computer illiterate sometimes) and now it seems that my laptop has some weird trojan crap going on. It started having all these pop-ups to fix it, but I think that is part of what got into my computer. I don't know if these are legit spyware "fixers" for lack of a better word.

I'm sorry if I am not making sense, but if anyone happened to have the same thing occur, I'd love to know. NOw I'm using my desktop and may try to contact some computer-literate people tomorrow to see how I can the things off my laptop since I don't even know what a "safe" way to do this is. I was all set to send out my email newsletter, but I'm even afraid to do it on my desktop incase something is all messed up.

Sorry for rambling, I'm just so confused and now I'm mad at myself for clicking on these things because it was something about Paige. Thanks for reading!

Sorry to hear this Becky. Maybe Janet or Ann can help you.

Ugh. I hate that garbage (viruses and spyware, not Google alerts). I haven't used Windows for surfing the net in so long that I can't remember the programs I used to use to check for that garbage. Oh, wait - one was AdAware. You can get it here: Ad-Aware 2008 - Reviews and free Ad-Aware 2008 downloads at Download.com

Use Adaware first, or better yet, if you have XP, roll back to a previous restore point before that got on your PC.Do it as soon as possible before it gets embedded deeper.

this exact thing happened to me Sat. evening on my computer. When I tried to go into any website a popup came up saying I had trojans and viruses on my computer. I was able to get into a google search and check info on it. I went into www.malwarebytes.og and there is a free download to remove the problems. It worked...it said I had over 300 infected files. I didn't have to purchase anything. I checked with my daughter's boyfriend who works for Bestbuy (not actually a GEEK squad guy) but he knows all that stuff. He said that it would work. My computer is running a whole heck of a lot quicker too.

I did not get this particular google alert. (I usually get google alerts after I've already posted the links to the story here.)It sounds like some enterprising opportunist took advantage of the NBC story to spread his handiwork. The Models, Inc' page was taken down about a year ago.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I did not get this particular google alert. (I usually get google alerts after I've already posted the links to the story here.)

It sounds like some enterprising opportunist took advantage of the NBC story to spread his handiwork. The Models, Inc' page was taken down about a year ago.

I got it KG but ignored it. There were 2 related alerts and definitely looked like someone was taking advantage of the story.

janetupnorth said:
I got it KG but ignored it. There were 2 related alerts and definitely looked like someone was taking advantage of the story.

That is so ridiculous! I don't get why people come up with these viruses; they need to get a life!

Hope you can fix it Becky! We use Adaware & really like it.

janetupnorth said:

One has to be careful up here. Doing searches for Paige can get very frustrating, too, because of the blogs that wrote about her months ago. Since most blogs have links to older posts, all on the front page, Paige's name comes up in the search because she's on the front page of the blog as a link to some dusty thing that has cobwebs on it.

After awhile, you learn to ignore certain blogs, like the huffington blog (it's a good idea to just ignore that wingnut, anyway) and certain crime blogs that haven't updated their Paige stories since Hannibal Lester became the prime POI.

You're best off just ignoring all the blogs (except mine, of course! :D) and only following the legit news sources in Grand Junction, Denver and the AP.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
One has to be careful up here. Doing searches for Paige can get very frustrating, too, because of the blogs that wrote about her months ago. Since most blogs have links to older posts, all on the front page, Paige's name comes up in the search because she's on the front page of the blog as a link to some dusty thing that has cobwebs on it.

After awhile, you learn to ignore certain blogs, like the huffington blog (it's a good idea to just ignore that wingnut, anyway) and certain crime blogs that haven't updated their Paige stories since Hannibal Lester became the prime POI.

You're best off just ignoring all the blogs (except mine, of course! :D) and only following the legit news sources in Grand Junction, Denver and the AP.

What a shameless plug... ;)

But so very true...

I don't search anymore on it and was going to shut off my alerts. I find all the up-to-date information I need here or on Help Find the Missing. You guys are doing an AWESOME job over there.

We aim to please, of course, without violating the "no self promotion" rules. I just posted that as a public service.:DOf course, I meant Paiges' Pages and the blog entries about her on Help Find The Missing.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to go get my laptop and try it. I'm just happy to hear of a link that's legit to get rid of everything. I thought the Models Inc thing was just mentioned in the blog since I knew the website was long gone. I'm sure I'll be posting later if I have other questions. Thanks for your help!

As for the restore part, Janet, I do have XP and I think I came across a place where I can restore. It seemed that most of this nonsense started at 11:30 pm when I clicked on some link in that blog. So I guess I'll restore from yesterday morning or something. Can I just choose a time? I've only restored stuff when a computer geek friend of ours has walked me through it. Thanks for your help! We'll see what happens. And YES, no more blogs for me about Paige!! Except for yours KG. :D

This morning when I logged on, I saw another Google alert hit that was another blog type thing but I didn't even click on it.

Question-should I open P3 and do a backup before I do this? Or would opening it allow something to get into that?? Should I wait until I get this mess taken care of first? Thanks in advance!!

pamperedbecky said:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to go get my laptop and try it. I'm just happy to hear of a link that's legit to get rid of everything. I thought the Models Inc thing was just mentioned in the blog since I knew the website was long gone. I'm sure I'll be posting later if I have other questions. Thanks for your help!

As for the restore part, Janet, I do have XP and I think I came across a place where I can restore. It seemed that most of this nonsense started at 11:30 pm when I clicked on some link in that blog. So I guess I'll restore from yesterday morning or something. Can I just choose a time? I've only restored stuff when a computer geek friend of ours has walked me through it. Thanks for your help! We'll see what happens. And YES, no more blogs for me about Paige!! Except for yours KG. :D

This morning when I logged on, I saw another Google alert hit that was another blog type thing but I didn't even click on it.

Question-should I open P3 and do a backup before I do this? Or would opening it allow something to get into that?? Should I wait until I get this mess taken care of first? Thanks in advance!!

Just go back to a point before that time that is available.

XP Restore points are the QUICKEST way to fix it without any additional Ad-ware or other software installed. They don't change your data so you should be fine with P3.

Ok, I'm in the process of restoring it to the day before the mess happened. Let's hope that works! I'm crossing my fingers. Hopefully all these other dumb popups will stop then saying my system is infected, etc. I don't know if that's MY security system saying things are infected or if those are the pop-ups from the "intruders."

So, I won't have to do anything else once the restore is done? Other than NOT go into that *&^* link!!:mad:

Woo hoo! It seems to have worked. Thanks for your help, Janet. All it took was restoring it and now I'm not getting all those annoying warnings. Now, off to back up P3 again just incase!:)

pamperedbecky said:
Woo hoo! It seems to have worked. Thanks for your help, Janet. All it took was restoring it and now I'm not getting all those annoying warnings. Now, off to back up P3 again just incase!:)

Usually does, not DON'T make that mistake again!

What is a Google Alert?

A Google Alert is a notification service provided by Google that sends emails or RSS feeds to users when new web content containing specified keywords is published.

How can Google Alerts cause a computer virus?

Google Alerts itself does not cause computer viruses. However, scammers may use the Google Alerts system to spread malware by sending fake alerts with links to malicious websites. It is important to be cautious when clicking on links in Google Alerts and to have up-to-date antivirus software to protect against potential threats.

Can I get a computer virus from a legitimate Google Alert?

It is unlikely to get a virus from a legitimate Google Alert. However, it is still important to exercise caution and not click on any suspicious links within the alert. If you are unsure about the legitimacy of the alert, you can manually search for the information rather than clicking on the provided link.

How can I protect my computer from Google Alert viruses?

To protect your computer from potential Google Alert viruses, it is important to have up-to-date antivirus software installed. Additionally, be cautious when clicking on links in Google Alerts and only click on links from trusted sources.

What should I do if I think I have a virus from a Google Alert?

If you believe your computer has been infected with a virus from a Google Alert, it is important to immediately run a full scan with your antivirus software. If the scan detects any threats, follow the recommended steps to remove them. Additionally, it may be helpful to change your Google Alert settings to only receive alerts from trusted sources.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
PamperedChefDebi
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies