• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Fix Your Sick Computer with These Easy Steps - Don't Fall for Scams!

In summary, your computer was compromised and you need to roll back your system to a restore point. You may have to reinstall Trend Micro.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
I noticed a new icon on my desktop the last few days so today I got curious and clicked on it.
BAD MOVE
Immediately Ihad a pop up thing telling me my computer was comprimised - windows detected spyware, blah blah.
Of course my MacAfee is not up to date. So I downloaded (for $70) TrendMicro and am now scanning and trying to fix everything.
The two things SO FAR that have been found are a trojan.perfcoo thing and a hacktool.rootkit thing.
ARGH

dannyzmom said:
I noticed a new icon on my desktop the last few days so today I got curious and clicked on it.
BAD MOVE
Immediately Ihad a pop up thing telling me my computer was comprimised - windows detected spyware, blah blah.
Of course my MacAfee is not up to date. So I downloaded (for $70) TrendMicro and am now scanning and trying to fix everything.
The two things SO FAR that have been found are a trojan.perfcoo thing and a hacktool.rootkit thing.
ARGH

Roll back your system to a restore point if you have XP - try about 2 weeks ago.

You should have saved the $70 and gone with AVG and other free tools.

Oh no! That is one of my biggest fears. I hope you can get it all cleaned-off.

janetupnorth said:
Roll back your system to a restore point if you have XP - try about 2 weeks ago.

Huh?
How do I do that?

dannyzmom said:
Huh?
How do I do that?

START
PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
SYSTEM TOOLS
SYSTEM RESTORE

THEN FOLLOW THE OPTIONS.

You MAY have to reinstall Trend Micro after but it should get rid of that new crap.

janetupnorth said:
START
PROGRAMS
ACCESSORIES
SYSTEM TOOLS
SYSTEM RESTORE

THEN FOLLOW THE OPTIONS.

You MAY have to reinstall Trend Micro after but it should get rid of that new crap.

DH said this won't work because if there is a virus on the harddrive there is a virus on the harddrive and until you get rid of the virus, retoring won'r help?
I am clueless...

If your last backup (for the restore) was made before the virus was put on your system, then it won't be in the backup. Well, unless it's in your Documents folder, since that tends NOT to be reverted to the old version, so that you don't lose data.

dannyzmom said:
DH said this won't work because if there is a virus on the harddrive there is a virus on the harddrive and until you get rid of the virus, retoring won'r help?
I am clueless...

What Ann said. Usually the restore point is just fine. So go back to one a few weeks ago.

You had just clicked on the icon so it just happened.

Good luck Carolyn. I'm so happy my DH gets all this computer stuff. My DH doesn't let me click on anything that I don't know about, just for that reason! He says if I know the site and it's trusted, I can download but if I don't, do not do anything without asking him. So I do that and he has saved my butt from a lot of thing!
All the stuff Ann and Janet are saying to you, actually makes sense to me. I would be nervous trying to do it myself. But with my DH's assistance, I've fixed the computer a lot! And what these ladies are saying sounds right!
Good luck, hun. Is you DH pretty good at computers? If not then I'd listen to these ladies, they just seem to get these things! They are in that Computer nerd.... ugh I mean genius crowd that my DH's is part of! LOL!;)
Again, Good luck!

Related to Fix Your Sick Computer with These Easy Steps - Don't Fall for Scams!

1. How can I tell if my computer has a virus?

There are several signs that your computer may be infected with a virus, including slow performance, frequent crashes, and pop-up ads. You may also notice strange files or programs on your computer that you did not install.

2. What should I do if I suspect my computer has a virus?

The first step is to run a reputable antivirus software to scan your computer for any viruses or malware. If your antivirus program detects any threats, follow its instructions to remove them. It is also important to update your operating system and software regularly to prevent future infections.

3. How can I protect my computer from viruses and scams?

To protect your computer from viruses and scams, it is important to have strong antivirus software installed and to keep it updated. Additionally, be cautious when clicking on links or downloading attachments from unknown sources. It is also helpful to use a firewall and regularly back up your important files.

4. What should I do if I fall for a computer scam?

If you have fallen for a computer scam, immediately disconnect your computer from the internet, run a virus scan, and change any passwords that may have been compromised. It is also important to report the scam to the appropriate authorities and your bank or credit card company if you have provided any sensitive information.

5. Can I fix my computer myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

In most cases, you can fix your computer yourself by following the steps outlined in the article. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with troubleshooting your computer, it is always best to seek help from a professional to avoid further damage.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • chefjeanine
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies