• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Else Feeling the "Pinch" From the Economy?

In summary, this month has been a real downer for the author. Three of her six planned shows have been cancelled, and another one has been switched to a catalog show. She is hoping for a better July, but is worried about the economy.
This month has been a real downer for me. I had 6 shows scheduled. I was sure I would get at least $1500 level in SAT. 3 shows cancelled and another one switched to a catalog show. So of the 2 cooking shows I had, 1 has sales of... hold your breath... $87!!!! Ok, fine, pull up my big girl panties and try to reschedule, host coach etc.

Then, the email starts humming yesterday afternoon ( right after the $87 bummer of a show).... and 2 people cancelled orders they had placed on the one good show I had this month! I lost $100 in sales in 2 minutes!

Last June I did $2880, this June I will be surprised if I get to $800!!!:cry:

I feel like the economy is hanging in the air right now. Everyone is freaking out about gas prices, housing prices, food prices. I think they are holding on to whatever they have very tightly.:grumpy:

Ok.. pity party is over... July will be better!!!

I'm with you! I had 8 shows on the books for June...and all rescheduled besides 2. I was shooting for $6000 and now barley lucky enough to reach the first submit two shows level.

I think the economy is hanging over like a lead balloon as well! I don't really have any first hand experience yet since my show schedule has been slow on purpose for me - busy w/other things in my life; however, I just had a show last night w/only 4 people there. This host had about 20 there last year and was expecting 12! The show total was good because she had a co-host. The total for both was almost $1,000 which is good, but the primary host had almost $1,000 on her own last year and has had them as high as $1,200. So I do think it is the economy. The economy has been tight in Indiana for a long time, but the gas prices and inflation are just a triple hit!

I haven't decided for sure yet how I want to handle the cooking at home and not eating out, etc. I think it puts more of an emphasis on the economy while people are at the show. I didn't talk about it last night at the show, but I did emphasis on how easy we make it to cook at home. This way I didn't really meniton the economy. I will get more comfortable w/it as I do more shows.

I really wanted to get at least level 1, but my 3rd show for the month rescheduled into July so unless the hosts from last night get about $300 more in orders, I won't get it - but I will at least get the product for having 2 shows:)! I may put a catalog in the break room at work and try to get some orders on my own. I think I'll offer a 10% discount.

I'm sorry it's been tough for you. I know some others aren't having a bad time and I know some people have money even with a tight economy. We just have to find them!

Last edited:
My show average has gone up. :confused: I am really surprised at that, but it does seem hard to get bookings. I have been trying to focus on the stay at home entertainment aspect. Power cooking to save time and money

One of my June shows will have to be rescheduled for July (hopefully). Co-worker is buying a house on lake Erie lakefront but closing was delayed. I know she will have a good turnout when it happens. Everyone is excited for her and wants to see the her new home.
I'm hoping for late July.

Another June show I had to reschedule from 6/8 to 6/29 because I had shingles.:eek:

A friend of mine owns an artisianal jewelry and craft shop...all extremely well made and unique (and all price ranges). She was amazed this week when her sales matched what she usually sees right before Christmas. We talked about it and concluded that the 'bad' economy was actually helping her sales. When people have less money to spend, they are more particular about what they spend it on...and much less likely to buy junk or inferior quality. Her customers are enjoying a double shot of 'feel-good' purchasing. Not only do they know they're getting value for their money, they are treating themselves less...so when they do, it's sweeter. (Hope I'm writing that clearly.)

I think we offer our customers that same experience. Sometimes though, we have to help them realize it. ;)

I'm trying to negate the 'economy effect' mind-set during my host coaching. I'm emphasizing how people are eating at home more and therefore are paying more attention to what tools they're using. I stress the incredible value and customer service my hosts' friends will get from our product. I'm also stressing the lower cost recipes and the microwave themes (less misery in a hot kitchen).

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. Of seven shows scheduled, only one rescheduled (someone else in her office was doing a show at the same time). Of three shows held so far, one was a $500 catalog show, one was a $300 cooking show (host's mind was on family issues, not hosting), and one was a $700 cooking show.

I have a host with a show next week who indicated some of her guests are concerned about spending money. We're doing the Power Cooking Show, so I suggested she share with them that the average cost of the three recipes we're doing is less than $2 per serving. She got excited about that and has gotten her rsvps up to 12-15. At her show, I plan to emphasize the value of both our product and our host program. I also want to encourage the free knife with $60 purchase...but want them to feel good (and confident) about everything they buy to get there.

These are the products I stress as giving a lot of bang for not a lot of buck:
Micro-cookers
Rice Cooker
Stoneware
Chillzanes
BBQ Tuner (built in bottle opener!)
Colander Bowl Set
Prep Bowls
Scraper Collection
Twix-Its
Batter Bowls
Self-Sharpening Knives
Food Chopper
Mix n Chop
Seasonings

Products that really pay off for a little more money:
Salad and Berry Spinner
Deep Covered Baker
Stainless Steel Bowls
Forged Cutlery
Cookware (esp the 12" skillet)

Sharing all this in the hope it helps.

I've had 3 shows this month not even qualify when I left the host's house. Normally I have about a $500 show average so I could say it was the economy. I guess only time will tell.

I am seeing my sales go up, too. People are investing in cooking more at home. When you talk about it in that way and offer a service--low cost, delicious meals--people will buy.What I AM seeing though, is low attendance, and that is a summer problem, not an economy problem.

DebbieJ said:
I am seeing my sales go up, too. People are investing in cooking more at home. When you talk about it in that way and offer a service--low cost, delicious meals--people will buy.

This says everything I was trying to say....but is a whole lot easier to understand! :eek:

legacypc46 said:
This says everything I was trying to say....but is a whole lot easier to understand! :eek:

Me too! You give a lot of great ideas and I appreciate that! Thanks! :chef:

PCJenni said:
This month has been a real downer for me. I had 6 shows scheduled. I was sure I would get at least $1500 level in SAT. 3 shows cancelled and another one switched to a catalog show. So of the 2 cooking shows I had, 1 has sales of... hold your breath... $87!!!! Ok, fine, pull up my big girl panties and try to reschedule, host coach etc.

Then, the email starts humming yesterday afternoon ( right after the $87 bummer of a show).... and 2 people cancelled orders they had placed on the one good show I had this month! I lost $100 in sales in 2 minutes!

Last June I did $2880, this June I will be surprised if I get to $800!!!:cry:

I feel like the economy is hanging in the air right now. Everyone is freaking out about gas prices, housing prices, food prices. I think they are holding on to whatever they have very tightly.:grumpy:

Ok.. pity party is over... July will be better!!!

My show sales have been really down...the ONLY reason I'm still looking positive is because, IT IS the ENTIRE Country...If you go to CC & check the SAT page, Right Now June 21st there is ONLY 8 people over 6000.00. Right there that tells us how bad it is. But I feel with the power cooking shows, the 1 skillet shows & the 2.00 per servings will we make it through! Lets keep our heads up & do the best we can....:D

I honestly don't think it's that bad. Quite a few of us on this board had sales of 6K, 7K, and 10K last month, and at least one gal here went over 12K. As for sell-a-thon, I don't recall June sell-a-thon having the same number of high achievers as November's sell-a-thon. (Nov is prime shopping season). That said, I do realize some areas are genuinely harder it by the current economy.

I'm not posting this to minimize anyone's challenges right now. It hurts when we don't have bookings or our sales are low (been there...my Feb sales were less than $300). What's important is to adapt what we do and what we say to changes in the market. If we don't, someone else will.

Last edited:
I am experiencing quite the opposite. I am at $2885 with only 3 shows and 4 more to go! I am finding more people interested in the opportunity too.

I havent really noticed it here. I did have 3 shows reschedule but it was because of other things. One girl could only get 1 person there due to family outings, she rescheduled. Another ladies mom took a turn for the worse so she wasnt in the game. And #3 had a company picinc the same day. I have seen my show average go up also.

I am noticing the opposite. I can find hosts, but no one will buy from my hosts. My $1000 show is looking like it won't make it because most of my hosts are having a hard time pulling together the $100. My average is almost $500 and now I am doing good to get $300.
It might all depend on where you are too.

Struggling here too. I've got the # of shows I want, just not the sales. My average is way down--like $200-$300 per show--yikes.

krzymomof4 said:
I am noticing the opposite. I can find hosts, but no one will buy from my hosts. My $1000 show is looking like it won't make it because most of my hosts are having a hard time pulling together the $100. My average is almost $500 and now I am doing good to get $300.
It might all depend on where you are too.

I do think it matters where you live. Many people live in rural areas in Indiana and have a long drive to work. I know I drive 60 miles a day just for work. Then even more running my kids around. It is really cutting into my budget.

Getting bookings from my shows have been a little tough lately. However, I've had a bunch of teachers who want to wait til Fall so..... I have almost $3,000in and on my computer and have 4 more shows. Show average going up quite a bit. Have a had a bunch of better hosts this month though. May was the pits! They just couldn't care less!

My goal is the $3000 level (CDN) and it will take me ALL of my 7 shows to get there (normally - I would be able to get $3000 from 3 shows)

For me, I have noticed a difference in the size of people's order - and people flat out tell me their reason (no money, DH lost his job, saving money for holidays, etc.)

I was telling my BF about this the other day. I had a show on Tues and again on Wed, at each show there was decent attendance per the invites that were sent 12 on Tuesday and 15 on Wed and each hostess invited about 25 people. But the sales, oh my. I think only 2 people ordered enough for the knife, and that was between both shows. I did get a booking from each, which I normally book at least 3-4 per show, so I was bummed about that. I closed one of the shows already at just over $500 and the other will close this week. It is frustrating, but understandable. kinda

I think even if people do have money, they are afraid to spend due to the economy. Now they are talking about record corn prices from all the flooding in Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. Popcorn will be really going up. Southern Indiana grows a ton of popcorn.

Other crops that are being ruined include wheat and potatoes. Look for chips & bread to really go high, pricing wise.

I'm on the fence. I'm new to PC but not to Direct Sales. None of my shows have been over 300 yet - i have one host who is almost thier, thats to a individual order i got and added to it. but I am booking yes 1 or 2 but bookings that i would never have gotten with my old DS company and same with sales. I would really like to make the 1500 mark this month and i'm close if this show hits 400 i'll be 110 away. I'm going to work my little butt off this week to get that. anyways.

From my own personal experience, the ecomomy is draging us down so I can relate with my hosts and thier guests.

This is only my 6th week in to pampered chef and I haven't had any problems getting any shows at all. As a matter of fact I have more shows now than I can handle. July 1st I sign up three people to start selling underneath me in order to handle my overload. I just let my hostesses see estatic I am about Pampered Chef. Also, I have noticed that my hostess prefer to do a quick entree, desert, & drink. Allowing them to feel that they have full control over there show and that I am also not just there for a quick buck. The money is out there, you just have to go out and get it.

1. What do you recommend for cooking on a budget?

We understand that many people are looking for ways to save money in their kitchens. Our top recommendation is to invest in versatile kitchen tools, such as our multi-purpose knives and cookware, which can help you make a variety of delicious meals without breaking the bank. We also offer budget-friendly meal planning and recipe ideas on our website.

2. How can I make my meals go further?

One of our favorite tips for stretching meals is to use high-quality, fresh ingredients and focus on incorporating filling, nutrient-rich foods like beans, lentils, and vegetables. These can help bulk up your meals and make them more satisfying without adding extra expense. Our meal prep tools, like our food chopper and salad spinner, can also help you save time and money by making meal prep easier.

3. Do you have any tips for cutting down on food waste?

We're glad you asked! Food waste is not only bad for the environment, but it can also be a major source of wasted money. We recommend investing in our food storage containers, which are designed to keep food fresher for longer. We also have resources and recipes on our website for using up leftover ingredients and reducing food waste in the kitchen.

4. How can I save money on kitchen gadgets and tools?

We have a variety of options for every budget, from our more affordable essential kitchen tools to our more specialized gadgets. We also offer frequent sales and promotions, as well as a loyalty program for our customers. Additionally, our consultants often host virtual or in-person cooking classes that showcase how to use our tools in different ways to get the most value out of them.

5. Are there any special deals or discounts for customers impacted by the economy?

At Pampered Chef, we care about our customers and understand that times may be tough for some. We offer a variety of promotions and discounts throughout the year, and we also have a program for hosting virtual or in-person cooking parties where you can earn discounts and free products based on sales. Additionally, our consultants are always happy to work with customers to find the best deals and options for their needs and budget.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Humble Beginnings
  • ShelbyMichalek
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
Replies